The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Diana-style concerts for the heroes killed at war | Mail Online

Quote:
Two concerts are being organised in aid of Britain's war heroes later this year, and organisers want Princes William and Harry at both.
Quote:
William and Harry have been invited to the Cool Britannia music festival in Cape Town next month during their World Cup trip to represent Britain.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post
Isn't Aftonbladet a Swedish tabloid?
Yes, I think Aftonbladet is a tabloid. But why would the Swedish royal family release a list to a tabloid?

As a side note: It would be nice if Camilla does accompany Charles as it would be her first BIG royal event.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
Yes, I think Aftonbladet is a tabloid. But why would the Swedish royal family release a list to a tabloid?
The list wasn't released by the SRF, it was released by the government. IMO i think it was released as a distraction from the stories about Princess Madeleines break-up.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't realize they invited certain people. I thought they just sent out a certain number of invitations and the royals decided
Would be nice if William could attend Victoria's wedding. We'll have to see...
Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereta View Post
I didn't realize they invited certain people. I thought they just sent out a certain number of invitations and the royals decided
Would be nice if William could attend Victoria's wedding. We'll have to see...
The invites are usually i think, sent to specific people.
It would be nice if both boys would come, but i doubt it.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
The list wasn't released by the SRF, it was released by the government. IMO i think it was released as a distraction from the stories about Princess Madeleines break-up.
Well, I think it's just as bad for the government to release it to a tabloid. I do understand what you're saying about them wanting to distract from Madeliene's situation though.
I'm not sure William will go to the wedding either.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thx Opal, I thought so. Wasn't William's event in South Africa already scheduled before Victoria's engagement was announced?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Thx Opal, I thought so. Wasn't William's event in South Africa already scheduled before Victoria's engagement was announced?
The World Cup in South Africa has been scheduled for many years yes.

England qualified last year and the actual dates on which games were to be played wasn't finalised until either late last year or early this year so the actual dates that William will be at games wasn't known until after the engagement announcement. However his position as Patron of the FA and as one of those pushing for England to host either 2018 or 2022 means that he should be at all England's games at the very least. That would mean that he would need to be in South Africa the night before the wedding and have to make a mad dash to make it. IMO he won't bother.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
The invites are usually i think, sent to specific people.
Thank you for the reply. And I assume if certain members that received the invitation can't make it, then they could pass it on to someone else. Isn't it unusual for the BRF to send many members to one event. Don't they usually just send one person or one couple?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^
They may send out several invitations in the hopes that at least one will reply.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
I've often thought one of the reasons William didn't choose the navy (Dartmouth) is to avoid unnecessary comparisons to his father.
That could very well be. It also may be simply because he loves to fly.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereta View Post
Thank you for the reply. And I assume if certain members that received the invitation can't make it, then they could pass it on to someone else. Isn't it unusual for the BRF to send many members to one event. Don't they usually just send one person or one couple?
Seeing by the list William and Harry have been invited, if they can't make it, they won't pass there invites to another member. They will just allow other members to attend.
They usually invite more than 1 couple to be on the safe said.
Sometimes 3 people attend Prince Charles, Sophie and Edward more often than not. But this time I think Camilla will join then.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
That could very well be. It also may be simply because he loves to fly.
At the time he signed up to attend Sandhurst I don't think William had decided he wanted to fly yet. That came later. So I think he purposefully wanted to avoid Dartmouth (and comparisons to his father) and forge his own way.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^
Oh, okay, I see your point.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Doesn't William also have an airplane pilot's license in addition to a helicopter one? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me he acquired an airplane license in the beginning of his RAF training.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Columnists :: Prince William set for Falklands

Quote:
WHILE Prince Harry may get his wish to see active service again in Afghanistan after he receives his wings as a helicopter pilot this Friday, I can reveal his brother William is to be sent to the Falklands, where the RAF is beefing up its defences amid renewed aggressive noises from the Argentinians.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Doesn't William also have an airplane pilot's license in addition to a helicopter one? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me he acquired an airplane license in the beginning of his RAF training.
Sorry Shanaz, it didn't see your question before. Yes William first learned how to fly fixed wing planes with the Royal Air Force prior to learning how to pilot helicopters.

Here is a link to an article from 2008 talking about it.
BBC News Online | UK | Prince William to train as pilot
Old 05-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

This article says that the tour will continue until the 19th June which would mean that they won't be attending Victoria's wedding on the same day.

For it to be ending on the 19th there would be some official duty that day if only a farewell, which surely would have to take place during daylight hours meaning they won't have the 13 necessary hours to reach Stockholm in time for the nuptials.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent

So does that mean William will also miss the Garter ceremony which will take place June 14th
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

As the tour is to begin on the 14th I would presume so as it takes about 13 hours or so to reach South Africa from London and they would again need to be there that day if that is the start of the tour.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william