The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Impressive list. And how strange it would be for all of this royalty to attend Sandhurst and then Britain's own princes don't attend. It's almost expected I think.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Traditionally the British senior royal men have gone to Dartmouth - the naval academy rather than Sandhurst. William and Harry are the most senior royal men to go there as Charles, Andrew and Philip all went to Dartmouth.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As Harry graduated first William would already have had to do that - while he was a cadet and Harry was an officer.
Yeah I know but it was only temporary. He doesn't have to now. And William probably hated it.. being as competitive as they seem to be. I could see Harry ribbing him about it.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Commoner

I'm waiting for Wills photo in the cockpit. Then the champagne can flow.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Traditionally the British senior royal men have gone to Dartmouth - the naval academy rather than Sandhurst. William and Harry are the most senior royal men to go there as Charles, Andrew and Philip all went to Dartmouth.
Yes, but that's because they decided to serve in the navy. As William and Harry chose the army, wasn't it expected they would go to Sandhurst instead of Dartmouth? I'm not sure of the different military branches in Britain. In America we have the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. How many different branches does Britain have?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Dartmouth is the Naval College and Sandhurst the Army so when William and Harry decided to go into the army Dartmouth was no longer an option.
Britain also has an Air Force and a Marine Corps (Edward was in the marines).
Old 04-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Now William is transferred to the Air Force branch (RAF).
Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've often thought one of the reasons William didn't choose the navy (Dartmouth) is to avoid unnecessary comparisons to his father. It probably would have been easier to serve in the navy as he wouldn't have had the press intrusion and could go anywhere in complete privacy without anyone knowing, so there must have been a good reason he chose the path he did. The same thing with Harry.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince William was invited to the Swedish royal wedding.
We will not know until the day, whether he will actually attend.

Här är alla namnen | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet
Old 04-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Courtier

I heard that william will not attend the Wedding.. but never know he will change his mind.. Who Knows!
Old 04-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64 View Post
I heard that william will not attend the Wedding.. but never know he will change his mind.. Who Knows!
He has said he has a prior engagement, the FIFA World Cup, this is only the list of people who have recieved invites.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Aristocracy

There has been nothing official from Pr.William pertaining to the Swedish Wedding, there was a tabloid story which made claims, he would not attend. No statements have been made officially as who will attend from the British Royal Family. It is great to see so many of the British Royals have been invited. I'm looking forward to the day to see who from the British Royal Family actually attends.

William could easily attend the wedding and fly to the World Cup duties, I don't understand why one day can not be used for attendance to the future Queen's wedding?
As future Monarchs , Pr.William is in Princess Victoria's age group, IMO, it would be wonderful if Pr.William attended the wedding along with the others invited from the BRF.

I would imagine there will be several Royals who attend both the wedding and the World Cup?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

We'll just have to see because I don't think it would be nice to forgo the wedding for the World Cup.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

I would love to see him attend the wedding, just for the photos of him amongst all the Royals.

Maybe he can do both, with a stand in for him at the World Cup on the one day he attends the wedding?

It would be wonderful to see him amongst the European Royal houses at the wedding.

P.S. How is Camilla's leg, will she be okay to travel in time? I hope so.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He could leave the World Cup for a day, but he might not want to. I imagine a few royals will travel to see their country play, but William is Patron of the England Football Association and he takes his royal seriously. He's been invited, but if he doesn't really know Victoria, and doesn't feel it's time to enter "the world stage" he might choose the World Cup. If push comes to shove i think we can be safe in knowing that Edward and Sophie will at least attend.
There will be no announcement to from any royal family until just before the wedding.

Camilla's leg is still in a cast, should be out of the cast for the wedding, and relatively healed, depending on the break.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Aristocracy

I imagine one day away from the World Cup for a future Queen's wedding would be a possibility for William if is asked to attend.

I hope so. I can't wait to see who attends. So many wonderful photos.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

England plays a game starting at 8.30p.m. on the 18th June. It probably won't finish until about 10.00 or 10.15 p.m.

He would have to then catch a flight to Stockholm in time for the wedding.

I don't think he will make the wedding given his position as Patron of the FA as he does have a duty to support England in the World Cup and that includes attending the game on the 18th. I also think he would prefer the World Cup to the wedding of someone he doesn't really know. His invitation is because of his position and not based on friendship really.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Prince William was invited to the Swedish royal wedding.
We will not know until the day, whether he will actually attend.

Här är alla namnen | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet
How reliable is this publication? Isn't Aftonbladet a Swedish tabloid?
I didn't think royal houses released the list of who received an invitation. I thought they only released the list of who confirmed they would be attending.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Nobility

If it was a list of RSVPs then I don't think Jonas Bergstrom would be number 6 on the list.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It is a list of the people who have been invited, not an RSVP list, and Jonas would've replied since last year anyway so if it was a RSVP list he would still be on there.
The information is pretty accurate.

Tags
prince william