The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post
Well they are still training. Perhaps we should wait until they are finished and see what steps they take next before we unfairly judge or criticize them.
That's a sensible statement shanaz.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
They are in line for the throne - They are 11th and 12th respectively.
I can imagine only Beatrice or Eugenie on the throne.
Or Princess Anne.
No thanks on Beatrice or Eugenie. Then we'd have to endure Fergie as the "mother of the Queen".
And if by small chance they did then they would have to have military training of some kind for their role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Not to mention what a coup it would be for the Taliban and Al Queda to capture a member of the BRF. There is also the unsettling and unsavory thought of a public beheading on Al Jezzera with such a prize.
Not to mention the terrorists have stated through the press they would actively seek them out.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^
And let's face it, they would get a lot more press/recognition (which they seem to seek) if they brought down the future King of England then some unknown Joe Smith. Can you imagine the headlines. Then of course the ransom they would probably demand.
I think in many ways the war being fought today is much more dangerous than WWI or even the Falklands war that Prince Andrew fought in. This war on terrorism is much more tricky and complicated. It's not so straightforward. Sometimes we don't even know exactly who the enemy is.
Then throw in the media which is far more prevalent than 60 or even 20 years ago and more easily accessible with the advent of the internet. It would've been much easier to fight in WWI without the world finding out about it.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
No thanks on Beatrice or Eugenie. Then we'd have to endure Fergie as the "mother of the Queen".
And if by small chance they did then they would have to have military training of some kind for their role.
I hadn't thought of that but you're right, they would need some type of military training if it ever came to that. Afterall even the Queen had some military experience. I wonder if people would expect them to serve in the war, if it were still going on?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Courtier

Prince William will attend Royal gala reception at Christie's

Search future engagements

click list of search select Prince william.. and click view engagement on below
Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^
I think this event at Christie's ties in with the portraits being auctioned off that William did with the former homeless guy, Jeff Hubbard.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that but you're right, they would need some type of military training if it ever came to that. Afterall even the Queen had some military experience. I wonder if people would expect them to serve in the war, if it were still going on?
I don't think people would expect them to go to war since they are female.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I somewhat agree that if William isn't actually going to serve in the army, he shouldn't be doing military training at all.
I don't know what all the fuss is about. ALL heirs to the throne (in Wm's case heir to the heir) are trained in the military. It's not so they can fight in the war, it's because they will be the Head of the Armed Forces (or whatever the title is?) in the future so they have to have an idea of how the military works. So I don't know why people say it's a waste of taxpayers money. Sorry but it's par for the course. And Harry also needs the training as people have said you never know what may happen to Wm. and Harry may end up in charge.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
They shouldn't be excluded from it just because they are female. I'm all for equal rights. With that said though I don't the heir should serve in the war.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64 View Post
Prince William will attend Royal gala reception at Christie's

Search future engagements

click list of search select Prince william.. and click view engagement on below
Thnx for this information Karla64! Now I know how to find future engagements. I always wondered how people knew when something was coming up. What a neat feature on their website.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereta View Post
They shouldn't be excluded from it just because they are female. I'm all for equal rights. With that said though I don't the heir should serve in the war.
I'm all for it as well. I just think people would go easier on them being girls.
Well, let's just hope it never gets to that point. I prefer William on the throne to all the others.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

As do I. But if worse came to worst, I think that the others--with wise counsel and dedication--would "step up to the plate."

Quote:
I prefer William on the throne to all the others.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't think they would have to have military training at all.

The Queen did because it was mandatory for everyone when they turned 18 to register for war service and it was after she turned 18 that she joined the army - as per the law of the land at the time.

Queen Victoria didn't have any military experience and she was able to be the Commander-in-Chief for over 60 years. Edward VII had 10 weeks of training. George V had none but was C-in-C during the Napoleonic Wars. Queen Anne had none and I could go on about how many monarchs had no military training and did wonderful jobs, even with their nations at war.

There would be no need, therefore, for the Princesses to have military training.

That doesn't mean that they mightn't like to do so but they don't need to - any more than William or Harry do now. They are doing so because they want to not because they have to.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Coming back to the much maligned Fergie, she actually earned her "wings" when she took helicopter training. The whole country was on her side then....

I'm glad William is to go to RAF Valley on the island of Anglesey, rather than Scotland.
Anglesey (or "Ynys Mon" in Welsh) will give him a chance to learn Welsh which, as future Prince of Wales, he should become fluent in.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Posts about Counsellors of State have been moved to the Counsellors of State thread.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Coming back to the much maligned Fergie, she actually earned her "wings" when she took helicopter training.
Are you suggesting that William hasn't earned his wings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
The whole country was on her side then....
It was a bit of a novelty when Fergie accomplished this as no other wife of a prince had done this before.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't think they would have to have military training at all...
I don't think you can compare today to a long time ago. It would've been unheard of for Queen Victoria to participate in military training during that time.
It seems to be the norm for today's princes to have some type of military training. All of the princes of Europe have done some training. And there is a war going on right now, so it would be relevant.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it's expected that an heir to the throne undergo some military training. I think Princess Victoria did as well (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Even siblings of the heir do some type of military training. Didn't Joachim of Denmark do some (perhaps someone else knows for sure).

Just to note, we have a renowned Royal Military Academy called Sandhurst and many princes from other royal houses have attended it, as well as William and Harry of course.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't think Victoria has done military service. Prince Carl-Phillip has however.
Prince Joachim has had a military career since 1987, his brother, the heir has also had one.

Royal Military Academy Sandhurst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Royalty who have attended Sandhurst.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Crown Princess Victoria has done basic training. In fact, I saw a picture of her in camouflage from that just a couple of days ago. I think that it was part of the slide show on the page about the wedding.

Tags
prince william