The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

An Australian Republican simly wants an Australian to be our Head of State not a foreign woman who got the job because she was the eldest daughter of the previous Head of State. In other words we want to get rid of the Queen as our Head of State.
It has nothing to do with which side of politics you follow. Until quite recently the leaders of both major political parties in Australia were both Republicans although political one would be more in tune with your Republicans and the other with your Democrats.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
...The monarchy has probably invested alot in William...
I agree that they would not want to send William for all the reasons you listed here.... but I think they should make it his chocie ...

Old 03-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Courtier

"But that is the British for you ....

And another reason why I have become a republican - a future King allowed to train but not serve is not who I want as a Head of State. I want one who has been able to do things in his life and William simply doesn't meet the bill (any more than Charles or the Queen do).[/QUOTE]"

Im sorry but I believe the Queen did serve her Country in the military during war time maybe not on the front lines but she did use her training to complete a job...and in many other ways....
Old 03-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen and Charles have both served in the military but they don't really do anything worthwhile.
William will cost the British taxpayers millions to train him and then he will do nothing with that training - anymore then the Queen did or Charles did.

The Queen drive trucks - hardly rocket science and not all that expensive to train a person to do. Charles commanded his own ship (although from some reports more as a figure head with others actually making the decisions he was supposed to make because he didn't have what it takes to make those decisions and almost ran the ship aground - reported by people on the ship by the way).
Old 03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well they are still training. Perhaps we should wait until they are finished and see what steps they take next before we unfairly judge or criticize them.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 AM
Serene Highness

I somewhat agree that if William isn't actually going to serve in the army, he shouldn't be doing military training at all. But if William and Harry are such liabilities, why was Prince Andrew allowed to take part in the Falklands War? He might not have been directly involved in the fighting, but he still could have lost his life. Prince George, as lumutqueen pointed out, did lose his life while flying for the RAF. Why were these princes allowed to see active military service, but William and Harry are discouraged from fighting? (I understand the concern about William to some extent, but Harry is third in line to the throne.) Does the nature of today's wars make military service riskier, or is the royal family just being more cautious?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Statistically the German Crown Prince had a greater risk of being killed in the 1914 - 1918 war than anyone has today. He also had a greater chance of being captured. However the Germans had no concerns about having the heir to the throne serving in the front line in the most deadly war of the 20th C for soldiers.

The British have allowed the second in line to the throne fight in naval battles with obvious risks to their lives (George VI and Prince Andrew - sure William was on the way but Andrew was still Charles' heir while serving in the Falklands). I tend to think that the British are way to cautious considering the risks compared to the number of servicemen who have served and been captured/injured/killed.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen drive trucks - hardly rocket science and not all that expensive to train a person to do. Charles commanded his own ship (although from some reports more as a figure head with others actually making the decisions he was supposed to make because he didn't have what it takes to make those decisions and almost ran the ship aground - reported by people on the ship by the way).
I was under the impression that the Queen reparied the trucks as well, this is a very useful skill and something she was trained to do...so to use your training and not waste tax payers money is one thing, rocket science is a very diffrent thing ...lol........just kidding you Iluvbertie...I don't know much about Charle's service but just the Queen's I would beg to differ ..IMO of course.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I tend to think that the British are way to cautious considering the risks compared to the number of servicemen who have served and been captured/injured/killed.
Not to mention what a coup it would be for the Taliban and Al Queda to capture a member of the BRF. There is also the unsettling and unsavory thought of a public beheading on Al Jezzera with such a prize.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Courtier

Following his trip to Australia, Prince William is reported as offering to help a group of Indigenous Australians to trace the skull of a resistance leader that was sent to the UK in the 1800s. Prince William helps search for Aboriginal skull - Times Online
Old 04-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Not to mention what a coup it would be for the Taliban and Al Queda to capture a member of the BRF. There is also the unsettling and unsavory thought of a public beheading on Al Jezzera with such a prize.
Quite right, Russo
Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Courtier

I can´t help wondering how and where he is going to look. It sounds like a lot of research work, I hope he can fit it into his busy schedule.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William joins the hunt for missing skull of Aboriginal warrior | Mail Online (01/04/2010).
Old 04-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post
Well they are still training. Perhaps we should wait until they are finished and see what steps they take next before we unfairly judge or criticize them.
That's a sensible statement shanaz.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
They are in line for the throne - They are 11th and 12th respectively.
I can imagine only Beatrice or Eugenie on the throne.
Or Princess Anne.
No thanks on Beatrice or Eugenie. Then we'd have to endure Fergie as the "mother of the Queen".
And if by small chance they did then they would have to have military training of some kind for their role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Not to mention the terrorists have stated through the press they would actively seek them out.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^
And let's face it, they would get a lot more press/recognition (which they seem to seek) if they brought down the future King of England then some unknown Joe Smith. Can you imagine the headlines. Then of course the ransom they would probably demand.
I think in many ways the war being fought today is much more dangerous than WWI or even the Falklands war that Prince Andrew fought in. This war on terrorism is much more tricky and complicated. It's not so straightforward. Sometimes we don't even know exactly who the enemy is.
Then throw in the media which is far more prevalent than 60 or even 20 years ago and more easily accessible with the advent of the internet. It would've been much easier to fight in WWI without the world finding out about it.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
No thanks on Beatrice or Eugenie. Then we'd have to endure Fergie as the "mother of the Queen".
And if by small chance they did then they would have to have military training of some kind for their role.
I hadn't thought of that but you're right, they would need some type of military training if it ever came to that. Afterall even the Queen had some military experience. I wonder if people would expect them to serve in the war, if it were still going on?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Courtier

Prince William will attend Royal gala reception at Christie's

Search future engagements

click list of search select Prince william.. and click view engagement on below
Old 04-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^
I think this event at Christie's ties in with the portraits being auctioned off that William did with the former homeless guy, Jeff Hubbard.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post
I hadn't thought of that but you're right, they would need some type of military training if it ever came to that. Afterall even the Queen had some military experience. I wonder if people would expect them to serve in the war, if it were still going on?
I don't think people would expect them to go to war since they are female.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william