The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Personally I don't see why he can't serve.

It isn't as if he is the only grandchild of the Queen so the succession is secure.

If something happens to him there is Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, James, Louise, Peter and Zara to take his place.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Majesty

I think that the idea of duty is probably trained into them from the time they're able to understand it.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It isn't as if he is the only grandchild of the Queen so the succession is secure.
That is not how royal families work. The spare is really meant to be the spare, not an heir!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Courtier

Well some of the most famous Kings and Queens were spares. Henrey VIII, Queen Victoria was the daughter of the 4th son of George III never thought of to grace the throne, but did for many years as we all know ...George VI, Elizebeth I was the 3rd child of Henry VIII to be crowned,most diffentlly meant to be a spare IMO ...Im sure there are so many more I have missed....I always thought that they were really the spare to be a replacement in the case of the oldests death or any other reason for not being able to sit on the throne.. ...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
Whilst I can understand him wanting to serve his country on the front lines, I agree that because of his position I don't think it's possible. It must be very frustrating to want to do something but you can't because of who you are. With that said I really hope he doesn't go.
I also sometimes think William might be a little jealous of Harry because he went to Afghanistan. I noticed there is always some brotherly banter between these two, even sibling rivalry which is normal among siblings of the same sex. It's harmless enough and can even be a positive thing as it encourages each to strive for more. But I think the fact that Harry has served over there possibly makes William want to even more.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

As Lady Ann quite rightly pointed out the spare often becomes the heir.
Harry and the rest are not just meant to stay as spares, if something happens to William or Charles they could be thrown into the limelight.
However I would prefer a King William than a King Henry.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just can't picture Harry or the other cousins acceeding to the throne. I don't why, but I just can't see them doing the job.
I thought Peter and Zara weren't really in line to the throne because they don't have titles. Didn't Princess Anne not want them to be?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

They are in line for the throne - They are 11th and 12th respectively.
I can imagine only Beatrice or Eugenie on the throne.
Or Princess Anne.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereta View Post
II thought Peter and Zara weren't really in line to the throne because they don't have titles. Didn't Princess Anne not want them to be?
The line of succession is as follows:

Charles
William
Harry
Andrew
Beatrice
Eugenie
Edward
James
Louise
Anne
Peter
Zara
Linley
Charles Linley
Marguerite Linley
Sarah Chatto
Little Chattos
Duke of Gloucester
Children and Grandchildren of Gloucester
Duke of Kent
Children and Grandchildren of Duke of Kent who have not converted to or married Roman Catholics
Lord Frederick Windsor
Lady Gabriella Windsor
Princess Alexandra
Children and Grandchildren of Princess Alexandra
etc, etc, etc,

Having a title or not having a title makes no bearing on a person being in the line of succession.
The line of succession is determined by relationship to the monarch.

Within the first 20 or so in the line Peter Philips, Zara Philips, Samuel and Arthur Chatto all have no titles (being descendents of a female).
Beatrice and Eugenie's children will be in line of succession but also won't have titles - like the Ogilvy kids (Princess Alexandra's children).
Old 03-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that the idea of duty is probably trained into them from the time they're able to understand it.
I agree. It is drilled into their head from an early age. This is why I think it's better for the designated heir to take up the mantle because they've had time to get used to the idea of it and get groomed for the role as William already is.
Imagine how shocking and stressful that would be for someone who wasn't raised with the notion of inheriting the throne to all of a sudden have that thrust upon them.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sure they could send William to fight in a war zone, however my thinking is, why take unnecessary chances like that? I don't think it would be a prudent thing to do.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Indeed Shanaz - that's a good point. Why take the risk? I'm sure the govt., the Queen and the monarchy would never do such a thing. It would be rather foolish.

This brings a question to mind - does anyone know of any other royal family member (including from other countries) who actually went to war while in the military?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince Andrew fought in the Falklands War.
Prince Harry fought in Afghanistan.
Prince George, Duke of Kent died whilst flying for the RAF.
Prince Maurice of Battenberg, a grandson of Queen Victoria, was killed near Mons in 1914 as an officer in the King's Royal Rifle Corps.
The Queen donned uniform as Second Lieutenant Princess Elizabeth, in the ATS (Auxiliary Territorial Service, the women's branch of the Army during the war.
Prince Phillip aswell.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post
Sure they could send William to fight in a war zone, however my thinking is, why take unnecessary chances like that? I don't think it would be a prudent thing to do.
Exactly the point I was making. Whilst there are "spares", there is no need to expose William to unnecessary risks. It is true that in history, spares have bneen called to the line of duty, but it was never the intended plan for the BRF.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

If we are going to go back to WWI then George VI has to be included as he fought at the Battle of Jutland in that conflict and Edward VIII also served as a Staff Officer.
The Crown Prince of Germany also served as a frontline general during WWI.
Prince Charles also served in the Navy but had left before the Falklands conflict. I have read that he has always regreted the fact that he couldn't serve in that conflict due to having left the navy.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
If we are going to go back to WWI then George VI has to be included as he fought at the Battle of Jutland in that conflict and Edward VIII also served as a Staff Officer.
.... though George VI was very much the spare during WW1.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Courtier

Of course it is never the intended plan for the BRF to have their hiers die, but it is their intended (or should I say back-up) plan to have the spare there incase this does happen (which it has many times before)...personally I would hope William be aloud to serve as the rest of the men in his unit serve...
Old 03-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^
I've always thought that spares are only for 'unforseen' circumstances. Purposefully sending someone into a war zone is not what I would consider an unforseen circumstance.
The monarchy has probably invested alot in William. It has been reported that they have their hopes on him for the future. It wouldn't make sense to me to invest in someone and then send them to war. Doesn't seem like a wise thing to do. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the replies about other royals going to war. I meant to put "heirs of royal families" though. Sorry about that.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
.... though George VI was very much the spare during WW1.

But the heirs to both the German and British empires were on the Western Front and the heir to the German Empire was very much a frontline officer who earned the respect of his men in that capacity.

The British seem far more conservative keeping Edward in the chateaux behind the lines (where some died due to shelling) and now William being protected - what a waste of British taxpayers money to train him and then not let him serve.

If I was a British taxpayer I would be insisting he serve or repay the cost of his training in these times of financial stress there they really can't be affording to spend millions of pounds training a guy who simply can't do the job for which he is being trained.

But that is the British for you ....

And another reason why I have become a republican - a future King allowed to train but not serve is not who I want as a Head of State. I want one who has been able to do things in his life and William simply doesn't meet the bill (any more than Charles or the Queen do).
Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

And another reason why I have become a republican - a future King allowed to train but not serve is not who I want as a Head of State. I want one who has been able to do things in his life and William simply doesn't meet the bill (any more than Charles or the Queen do).
What exactly is an Australian Republican if you please?
I'm sure it is very different than the American Republicans and as Russo is a rabid Capitalistic Pig I'm am sure that they do not mean the same thing at all!

Tags
prince william