Prince William Current Events 20: May-January 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds terrific and it sounds like we might get another speech from William. Looking forward to seeing pics from it.

One blacked-out line states that ‘the Princes [William and Harry] will increasingly incur expenditure when undertaking engagements on behalf of The Queen’.

What a salacious detail. It's surely a sign of a secret plot by the Queen to push Charles out of the way and not the mundane, expected course of events.

All this really seems to be is a plan for how William and Harry's future public duties will be funded. Of course, it seems much more scandalous if it's a ploy to make William some kind of "shadow King" (a term that doesn't actually appear in the document). Nothing in it should come as a surprise.

I have a small problem with the authenticy of this document.

If it truly is an official document it wouldn't make the mistake of referring to William as HRH The Prince William. He isn't. He is HRH Prince William of Wales. The use of the word "The" is reserved for five current HRHs - The Prince Philip, The Prince Charles, The Prince Andrew, The Prince Edward and The Princess Anne.

William will only be The Prince William when Charles becomes King so this could be a document referring to what will be happening at that time ....

It seems to be talking about the present ("from next year, it is expected that HRH The Prince William will spend a significant part of his time on official engagements.") I think it's entirely possible that someone within the Treasury hasn't brushed up on royal styles and titles. The source of the file appears to be an organization that submits freedom of information requests.

Last edited:
There is another article in The Mail which has an intereting line in it:

The Queen believes the future is Prince William. But what about Kate Middleton? | Mail Online

And although courtiers have been making long-term preparations for a wedding, there is unlikely to be any announcement of an engagement until both William and the Palace are happy that he is established in his new role.

I find this interesting as he hasn't started his 'new role' yet and surely will take at least a year or more to become 'established' which would put an engagement off for another year or two.

I am probably going to be proved wrong but I am not holding my breath about an engagement annoucement before 2013 - next year to finish SAR training and start actually serving with 2011 and 2012 getting 'established in his new role' before announcing an engagement, with a wedding in 2013.

All this really seems to be is a plan for how William and Harry's future public duties will be funded. Of course, it seems much more scandalous if it's a ploy to make William some kind of "shadow King" (a term that doesn't actually appear in the document). Nothing in it should come as a surprise.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that several reports are using the term "Shadow King". To me it doesn't suggest that there is some ploy or some thoughts that perhaps Charles will be passed over as King. It just makes sense that both William and Harry (especially William) actively learn what the duties of a monarch entail. Even though the health of HM is robust and hopefully Charles has inherited her longevity and good heath, we do see the possibility that Charles' reign may not be a long one. He IS over 60 and not a young man any longer.

Wills is flying in

PRINCE William has passed crucial flying exams, leaving him free to make his keynote speech at next week's Millies.

Talented Wills, 27, was last night said to be "relieved, pleased and exhausted" after getting through the tough tests as part of his training to become an RAF search-and-rescue helicopter pilot.
A St James's Palace source said: "It's a pretty tough course with a relatively high drop-out rate - but he came through it reasonably comfortably."
Wills had promised bosses he would only leave his base for the awards if he passed the tests.
The next step in his training involves learning specific rescue techniques.
A spokesman for St James's Palace said: "He is delighted that he can attend the Millies."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2767297/Millies-founder-Prince-Charles-pays-tribute-to-Armed-Forces.html#ixzz0ZYqQR2Lv
Scroll down to see this snippet from The Sun

Last edited by a moderator:
William is hardworking AND dedicated.....Granny must be proud!

William is hardworking AND dedicated.....Granny must be proud!

I think his father is probably proud as well, but a lot of people seem to forget Charles' influence in the way this young man has turned out.

:previous:
I can understand William taking on more of his grandmothers roles. I hope she doesn't hand over anything that will interrupt his training. :)

I was just watching Sky News here in Australia and they ran a story to say that the Palace had denied these reports.

I also loved the comments attached to the article of people who had read into the article that the Queen was going to pass the throne to William instead of Charles instead of the logical one - Charles is already doing more duties than anyone else (he overtook Anne last year for the first time and I am sure will be up there again this year) but that the Queen and Philip are pulling back due to age and that William will be taking up the slack - logical to me and nothing about overlooking Charles at all even implied in the article.

Interesting that the Palace even felt the need to deny the story.

Five & BBC news has just reported the same story as the Australian news.
They have denied reports, and Dickie Arbiter said it was natural for many members of the royal family to take over duties from the Queen. :ermm:

Five & BBC news has just reported the same story as the Australian news.
They have denied reports, and Dickie Arbiter said it was natural for many members of the royal family to take over duties from the Queen. :ermm:

Exactly - another non-story from the Daily Mail and its anti-Charles writers who haven't got over the fact that their cash cow of Diana is dead.

I think Zemla is referring to Matthew Drudge of the Drudge Report. Its a website (reports on political and entertainment) that is somewhat well known in the states. Reached its prime (IMO) during the Clinton administration.

The banner on the site is direct link to the Daily Mail article.

Also, the Drudge Report is the same website that exposed Prince Harry's fighting in Afghanistan last year - just to refresh your memories.

I always find it odd that Drudge would put news on the British royals on his site. I remember when Wills and Kate temporarily split in 2007, he listed every headline possible. I doubt most Americans could care about Prince William or Harry, especially since Diana has been dead for 12 years.

Last edited:
Also, the Drudge Report is the same website that exposed Prince Harry's fighting in Afghanistan last year - just to refresh your memories.

I always find it odd that Drudge would put news on the British royals on his site. I remember when Wills and Kate temporarily split in 2007, he listed every headline possible. I doubt most Americans could care about Prince William or Harry, especially since Diana has been dead for 12 years.

Yes the Drudge report was the 2nd place to run the story some 7 or more after Australia's New Idea run the story in its early January edition, but being an Australian tabloid woman's magazine nobody in Britain took any notice of that report but when Drudge run it they pulled Harry from Afghanistan.

It must be quite humiliating for the Daily Mail to have these "Shadow King" reports denied outright by Buckingham Palace. Hopefully they screen their stories more carefully next time before they hit the streets. The DM does have a very vivid imagination...

She did that a while ago, when she refused to play at the Concert For Diana and I say well done to her. :flowers:

I don't think they denied that Prince William will be taking on more duties over the next couple of years. It was the total fiction that the Daily Mail weaved with that document about a "Shadow King" and Charles being passed over that was denied.

She did that a while ago, when she refused to play at the Concert For Diana and I say well done to her. :flowers:

i agree! very well done by pink. royals hunting has got to end. what a bad example to the population. nearly as bad as smoking or drinking alcohol in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom