Prince William Current Events 20: May-January 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I sometimes ponder this too . :whistling:

There wasn't much criticism--at least in public--after the divorce. But I do think that Diana would have had a hard time as her sons became adults and eventually found serious girlfriends, particularly if she didn't find love personally.

I sometimes ponder whether the sons would have had the same loving bonding if Diana had not passed away, or whether there would have been problems between the sons and Charles brought on by constant criticism made by each party against the other.

does anyone know where to find the vh1 special The Fabulous Life of Young Royals?

They seem to be easing him in gradually. It's good he's trying to increase his royal duties while pursuing his career. At least he can use his time off allotted him from RAF for doing his engagements.

What is that saying "Jack of all trades but master of none". :whistling:

:previous: So true. :flowers:
They seem to be easing him in gradually. It's good he's trying to increase his royal duties while pursuing his career. At least he can use his time off allotted him from RAF for doing his engagements.
I don't think any of it will be done in during official leave.:whistling:

:previous: I am quite certain HM is fully aware that her son, Charles is the King in waiting and there is nothing that can alter that. If William is going to be a roving royal, then the cost of training him as a SAR pilot, needs to be paid back, as is the case with anyone who completes the training and then does not fulfill the terms of the contract!

This is just an odd thought that did enter my mind reading about the SAR training and being a "roving royal".

One scenario comes to mind for me. Back during WWII didn't the then Princess Elizabeth join in and serve doing auto maintenance or such? We've all seen the devastation in just the last 8 years that terrorism has caused worldwide. Perhaps in a future situation like we've seen, it might become necessary for William to put his training into use... even if only assuring his family of what is being done and why. I don't see him ever being put in the line of where there'd be a chance of him being harmed. As all of us, I sincerely hope what we've witness will never happen again but we do have to be realistic and prepared.

I think HM is a wise woman in this respect too and there's no question that Charles WILL be King but he isn't a spring chicken either and none of us hold a crystal ball. Now why am I getting a picture of the Queen in a boy scout uniform wearing a badge that says "Be Prepared"? :whistling: She is one smart lady in my book.

:previous: Does he still have protection officers on Base? I would have thought the securtity would be more than adequate. On a different note, living in the Mess would be a great experience for him if he was allowed to actually "fly solo". :cool:

I can't recall exactly where he was at the time but I think it was during his "break year" (or whatever you call it) that he was filmed cooking and actually scrubbing toilets too. :w00t: That toilet he was working on sure looked like a mess to me. I'm sure that's not what you were talking about.. but rather the protective officers around him but I couldn't help but bring this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
When he was on his first gap year (he had one after leaving school and another one after leaving uni) he went to Chile where he did some work with kids and other communities there which included those who were there taking their turns as cook and cleaner. He did it but I don't think his protection officers, who were also there would have done so.

As Harry had a group of ghurkas, I believe, guarding him while he was in Afghanistan I would assume that they both still have their protection officers with them on the base (but maybe not when they're actually flying.

--- shortened ---As Harry had a group of ghurkas, I believe, guarding him while he was in Afghanistan I would assume that they both still have their protection officers with them on the base (but maybe not when they're actually flying.
No, not when they are flying, but I understand there is always another armed flight up there.:flowers:

No, not when they are flying, but I understand there is always another armed flight up there.:flowers:

I am pleased that they don't have one when actually flying but really - isn't the army able to defend its own?

I hope so too! I will be so excited!

I just had a thought. Don't the royals use helicopters all the time to get from point A to point B within Britain? Perhaps he could use his flying skills in the future to fly their helicopters and it would save taxpayers money as they wouldn't have to hire a pilot. Just a suggestion.

What is that saying "Jack of all trades but master of none". :whistling:

There has recently been comment on TRF and the tabloids asking that William undertake more public engagements..... and when he does, no doubt there will be some criticising him for doing just that. There's no pleasing everybody, is there!

There has recently been comment on TRF and the tabloids asking that William undertake more public engagements..... and when he does, no doubt there will be some criticising him for doing just that. There's no pleasing everybody, is there!

It was certainly not from me. I believe he should finish his pilot´s course before even dreaming of doing anything else.

I personally think he should be full time at something - either full time in the RAF and that includes training and then the follow-up service or give up that training and go full time into royal duties.

This bits and pieces must be affecting his training and therefore his operational readiness.

It was certainly not from me. I believe he should finish his pilot´s course before even dreaming of doing anything else.
And certainly not from me! :D I believe that as he is taking up space in a much sought after position in the RAF, (how he beat all the other applicants is a mystery), being paid as an RAF Officer, then he should be employed in that, not gallivanting about to other countries. Genuine member of the armed forces, even though he is somewhat pampered knowing it is unlikely he will ever serve a full tour in a war zone, or royal representative and going by this article, not a very good one at that!

Prince William says sorry to father of soldier killed in Iraq - Telegraph
The Prince said sorry to Mark Thompson, whose 21-year-old son Kevin died after his truck was hit by a roadside bomb, after a mix-up at the memorial service at St Paul’s Cathedral for those who died in the conflict.
Mr Thompson, 49, a bus driver, was introduced to Prince William a serving RAF officer who is a future head of the Armed Forces. But Mr Thompson was "shocked" when the Prince asked him if he was a retired soldier even though he was wearing the badge of a grieving relative.
Mr Thompson, who was at the service with his wife Therese, said: “I didn’t go over to talk to William, I just got turned around and the next thing I knew I was shaking his hand. In front of everyone he said: “Are you retired?” I couldn’t believe it.
:argh::nonono:

:previous:

His grandfather may make fun of people sometimes, but I don’t think he has ever been accused of disrespect towards soldiers. Somehow I'm sure Prince Philip would be very careful not to offend or hurt the feelings of the family members of the soldiers who gave their lives for their country, least of all, during memorial service dedicated to their memory.

Now, I'm sure it was just a very unfortunate incident and William probably didn't even have time to notice the badge (as Mr Thompson said "I just got turned around and the next thing I knew I was shaking his hand").
Nevertheless, I wish he had been more careful.

He should at least take the time to do a couple of things - Think before opening mouth, Check what the person might be wearing as that might give a clue as to why that person is there, and if in doubt Say nothing that could be wrong - safe - How are you? Nice to see you. - at least until time to do the observation of the person.

This is a young man who has been supposedly groomed for this role all his life and he isn't a boy any more and he makes a basic mistake like this - I fear for the future.

Prince William made a mistake.

While it was certainly a foot in mouth moment, let's not write him off just quite yet.

Hopefully, he has learned from this mistake and will be quite mindful in the future to think before speaking and a little more aware of his surroundings.

I agree Muriel. I've noticed some people seem to criticize William no matter what. I don't think William is the one who plans his royal engagements. If the Queen decides William is going to Australia then he's not going to tell her no. Maybe no one else was able to make the trip. Regardless, I'm sure the Queen had her reasons.

Oh William! I'm sure it was an accident I don't think William meant to offend anyone, he just messed up...it happens yes the man has a point but we all make mistakes.

Smart move, William :nonono:

He better not make the same mistake again.

Oh William! I'm sure it was an accident I don't think William meant to offend anyone, he just messed up...it happens yes the man has a point but we all make mistakes.

This shows lack of preparation for the event.

He was at an event specifically to honour those who had made the ultimate sacrifice so a bit of prepartion and thought wouldn't haven't gone astray.

He is a serving officer. I would expect him to know how to do a quick check of a medal (especially those presented for such men as this) before opening his mouth.

He is in his late 20s.

Sorry - this isn't a mistake but a general lack of concern and care for his duties.

If he had been 18, had never served in the military, had had no idea of what he was attending maybe - but not at an event like this - in the street it could be excused but not on this occasion.

Now, I'm sure it was just a very unfortunate incident and William probably didn't even have time to notice the badge (as Mr Thompson said "I just got turned around and the next thing I knew I was shaking his hand").
Nevertheless, I wish he had been more careful.
This is what I think too Marsel.
Also he's only recently started to attend these type of events and he may have felt a bit overwhelmed and nervous. He is only human. We all make mistakes. Hopefully he's learned from his mistake and will be more careful. I don't think it's fair to say he doesn't care.
BTW is The Telegraph a rag mag?

I know what we're about compare isn't the same thing and my example is very vage but I've had occasions in the past where I'm quite educated on a certain thing but when I see it I make the mistake and think it's something else,I'm being very general cause I can't quite remember off the top of my head but I know I've done it. Ya I'm more then aware he should be able to tell the badge's apart, not denying that but I doubt he ever meant to hurt the man, obviously William knows what it's like to lose a loved one so he definitely didn't do it on purpose.
Now, I'm sure it was just a very unfortunate incident and William probably didn't even have time to notice the badge (as Mr Thompson said "I just got turned around and the next thing I knew I was shaking his hand"). Nevertheless, I wish he had been more careful.
I agree I imagine that's what happened actually I can so see the conversation right now in my head he was probably really nervous and wanted to seem polite and just spoke before thinking. I think the thing with William is alot of people have him written off but in my honest opinion I'm sure William is very intelligent, ya he's screwed up more then once and so has Harry but give me a break if you were to sit there and count my mess ups you'd think my life was doomed. Yes it's on a different scale then William but come on now we all have our moments where we speak before thinking. Ya he's almost 30 but do humans really ever stop making mistakes and learning from them? No so why is William any different. He's messed up before he will do it again but I'm not going to judge him because of it since I really don't think that's fair, it's just me just the type of person I am...perhaps I'm insane I dunno. Anyways rant over.

The Telegraph had the reputation of being a very good newspaper, on par with the London Times; but according to comments that people have made, the quality has declined somewhat. It seems to be carrying more gossipy stories about the Royal Family lately.

I see, thanks Mermaid1962. Well there you have it. For all we know this story might not even be true.

I know what we're about compare isn't the same thing and my example is very vage but I've had occasions in the past where I'm quite educated on a certain thing but when I see it I make the mistake and think it's something else,I'm being very general cause I can't quite remember off the top of my head but I know I've done it. Ya I'm more then aware he should be able to tell the badge's apart, not denying that but I doubt he ever meant to hurt the man, obviously William knows what it's like to lose a loved one so he definitely didn't do it on purpose.

I didn't ever suggest that he did it on purpose - just that he didn't prepare properly, think before he opened his mouth or do any basic thing that a prepared person would have done on this occasion.

This is what I think too Marsel.
Also he's only recently started to attend these type of events and he may have felt a bit overwhelmed and nervous. He is only human. We all make mistakes. Hopefully he's learned from his mistake and will be more careful. I don't think it's fair to say he doesn't care.

Actually he has been attending these sorts of events all his life.

I do remember a number of pictures of him attending functions with his mother so for over 12 years. Basic common sense should have taught him to think before opening his mouth and check things out before saying something that makes him look stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom