Prince William Current Events 20: May-January 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand him but I have to listen carefully because of his English accent. Words are kind of distorted.

I used to think the reason I had trouble understanding William was because of his English accent, but I've listened to other members of the RF speak and can understand them easily. I think it's just William. For someone who's presumably going to be making a lot of speeches later in life, he has a real problem with speaking way too fast and not enunciating his words.

Although, I've heard clips of other British people speaking and I can't say I understand them either! I guess it depends on the accent. But William (and possibly Harry) are the only royals I've had the problem with.

I have always thought that William and Harry (and Diana too) had the least "royal" sounding accents of the family, not at all like the Queen and the other older members.
Mind you I have a lot of trouble understanding Australians and no trouble at all with Americans (thanks to Hollywood I suppose).

I took this off another forum since I'm too lazy to type it out myself
Love the idea of these forums !! great work prince William. He really seems to be handling his initiatives quite well. Love the ease he has with public speaking.:)
There is so much to be done in charities still, everyday a new mission has to be faced! Glad there are leaders who can make things go faster.

I have always thought that William and Harry (and Diana too) had the least "royal" sounding accents of the family, not at all like the Queen and the other older members.
Mind you I have a lot of trouble understanding Australians and no trouble at all with Americans (thanks to Hollywood I suppose).
I agree with you on all fronts. :flowers: It is surprising that William and Harry seem to have lost the rich intonation of an aristocratic accent, I am however able to fully understand them.

I thought the article was strange, too, rchat. William's in the military -- he's not a full-time working royal yet. There are plenty of royals currently supporting The Queen, so while I'd certainly like to see William out and about on engagements more often, I don't think we can really condemn him for his present schedule.

.... For someone who's presumably going to be making a lot of speeches later in life, he has a real problem with speaking way too fast and not enunciating his words.
Actually he does perfectly fine with speeches. It's only when he's doing an interview that he seems to tense up, which is understandable. And like someone said, he's still new with it all and I'm sure in time he will get better!

Video of speech at Darwin Centre
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/?bcpid=25500650001&bctid=40207605001

Wait a few seconds for it to come up.

:previous: It's a very nice speech. Well done your highness! :clap: I like how he mentions his mother (very sweet) in it.
I think it's terrific that he's doing more and more lately and shows he has a caring side just like his mother did. :flowers:

:previous: It's a very nice speech. Well done your highness! :clap: I like how he mentions his mother (very sweet) in it.
I think it's terrific that he's doing more and more lately and shows he has a caring side just like his mother did. :flowers:

You do realise that his father was showing his caring side long before Diana came along and is still showing long after she has gone.

I really hate the way that anything good the princes do comes from their mother but nothing good seems to come from their father, who has had the far greater influence on them due to having some influence while their mother was alive and still having influence now 12 years after she died.

Remember that next year Harry will have lived longer without his mother than with her and for William that milestone will be reached only in 2012.

Both P.Harry and P. William seem to have had a very close bond with their mother as evidenced by their comments in interviews. No doubt their father is important to them too. William is honoring his mother and why would anyone doubt his sincerity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Both P.Harry and P. William seem to have had a very close bond with their mother as evidenced by their comments in interviews. No doubt their father is important to them too. William is honoring his mother and why would anyone doubt his sincerity?

I am not questioning the bond with their mother but simply asking for people to acknowledge that their father also has had a major part to play in their upbringing and the type of young men they have become. Any time you see them with Charles it is clear that they have an wonderful bond with their father as well.

Way too often I see any time they do anything good being credited to their mother's influence as if their father has had nothing to do with them whereas I just want an acknowledgement that their father has had a very large influence on them, particularly over the last 12 years when their mother wasn't around, along with the fact that he also had an influence when she was around as they spent time with him as well as with her.

Well Put Iluvbertie He did a fine job as well both can be proud im sure

You do realise that his father was showing his caring side long before Diana came along and is still showing long after she has gone.
I only spoke of his mother because William had mentioned her in his speech and I thought that was sweet. I can assure you there was no intentional slight against Charles as a parent.

Gosh this article is so nasty!! :eek: And not even accurate, or well-written. :nonono:
I don't know why The Mail is lashing out at William so viciously. But with the yellow press you have to take what they say with a huge grain of salt. Or perhaps they were too busy crowning Kate M. the "Queen of Good Causes" :rolleyes: (as one article was titled) and they can only handle one compliment per week. :whistling:

Video of speech at Darwin Centre
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/?bcpid=25500650001&bctid=40207605001

Wait a few seconds for it to come up.

Thanks for posting the video link of his speech. He delivered a wonderful speech and I could understand him just fine. ;) I thought it was humorous the way he improvised about Sarah the tarantula getting lost. Clever of him.

:previous: You're quite welcome. Glad you enjoyed the video of his speech, and I agree he did a wonderful job. :flowers:

Very nice video. :flowers:
You do realise that his father was showing his caring side long before Diana came along and is still showing long after she has gone...
I quite agree with what you say Iluvebertie. I hate it when they seem to forget that Charles has been their for his sons through a lot of troubles. He is an extremlt caring person, i would like to see him mentioned sometimes. Yes the boys seemed to have a close bond with their mother, but what about the bond they have/had with their father? :flowers:

Thank you so much for the video. Just to point out -- a couple of lines after mentioning his mother, Prince William also acknowledges his father's influence on his love of nature. I thought it was a well-delivered speech and you can really feel a genuine interest there on William's part.

His delivery is excellent here. He's taking his time, and so he's much easier to understand. The subject matter was also very good. Well done, YRH!:flowers:

Thanks for this. I've never heard him give a speech before. He looks so handsome and confident. And I noticed he has a very deep voice. From the interview they once did I noticed he and Harry have very different voices. Harry has a more soft spoken voice. He sounds more like Charles I think. So perhaps William sounds more like the Spencer side?

:previous: I agree William has a nice deep voice. Harry sounds just like Charles and also Phillip. I don't think he sounds like the Spencer side, I've seen a video of Diana's father the late Earl speaking to journalists at the hospital after Diana gave birth. I don't know what her brother Charles sounds like though.

Nope, I haven't seen this on YouTube. Saw it when it happened a long time ago but I had forgotten what he sounded like. And after listening to him I don't think William sounds like the Spencer side either. Maybe he was adopted. :lol:

BTW, it was a beautiful service for Diana. Thanks Roslyn for posting it. :flowers:

An award-winning Norfolk pub has welcomed two VIP guests for lunch, it emerged yesterday.

Prince William and Prince Harry, plus an unidentified friend, dropped into the Dabbling Duck at Great Massingham, not far from the royal estate at Sandringham

Royal princes lunch at Norfolk pub - EDP24

Prince William has shared an impressive farmhouse with brother Harry at RAF Shawbury for several months – but he will soon be downgrading to more modest accommodation.
William, 27, who is training to become a search and rescue pilot, will live in the base’s mess when he transfers to RAF Valley in Anglesey, Wales

Read more: Prince William the would-be rescue pilot lands in a mess | Mail Online

:previous: Does he still have protection officers on Base? I would have thought the securtity would be more than adequate. On a different note, living in the Mess would be a great experience for him if he was allowed to actually "fly solo". :cool:

:previous: Does he still have protection officers on Base? I would have thought the securtity would be more than adequate. On a different note, living in the Mess would be a great experience for him if he was allowed to actually "fly solo". :cool:
Oh Marg, the officers mess is so much more provided for than in our day, all the trappings of home if you want to provide them, the only difference is that they have to keep them tidyish, (if that means 'asking' someone else to do it, well .... :D). Silly as it seems, I would expect the protection officers to remain. IMO it would be suggested that nobody on the base would be adequately trained in the special skills required to guard a member of the RF full time.:flowers:
------------------------------------
Prince William wants to score winning goal for England

He is very supportive of the bid and will do his part in whatever way the FA deems appropriate," says a spokesman for the Prince, who took over as president of the sport's governing body from the Duke of York in 2006."Prince William is heavily involved and will remain so until the winning bid is announced in December 2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-wants-to-score-winning-goal-for-England.html

Hmm, a part time pilot then!

:previous:
And another article on the same topic.

William to take the Queen’s place Down Under
(scroll down to the second part of the article)

Prince William is hoping to travel to New Zealand in the New Year as part of his first official overseas trip in place of the Queen.
The Prince is due to visit Australia, possibly as early as January, and Clarence House aides also want him to go to New Zealand as part of the trip.

He is also planning a visit to Africa before he completes his RAF training next September.

:previous: Definitely a part time soldier/airmen then, if it is true! :whistling: The story started with the News of the World -
Although he is training to be a RAF Search and Rescue helicopter pilot, sources have told us the Prince is being slowly repositioned in the role of "King-in-waiting".
The Queen - who has given the plans her backing - believes the roving royal role will give the monarchy a fresher, younger feel.
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/new...e-gets-Wings-and-a-date-with-Chelsy-Davy.html
----------------------------
I am quite certain HM is fully aware that her son, Charles is the King in waiting and there is nothing that can alter that. If William is going to be a roving royal, then the cost of training him as a SAR pilot, needs to be paid back, as is the case with anyone who completes the training and then does not fulfill the terms of the contract!

Very nice video. :flowers:
I quite agree with what you say Iluvebertie. I hate it when they seem to forget that Charles has been their for his sons through a lot of troubles. He is an extremlt caring person, i would like to see him mentioned sometimes. Yes the boys seemed to have a close bond with their mother, but what about the bond they have/had with their father? :flowers:

I sometimes ponder whether the sons would have had the same loving bonding if Diana had not passed away, or whether there would have been problems between the sons and Charles brought on by constant criticism made by each party against the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom