The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I think William's Search and Rescue decision was one of the best compromises, but I had understood that it was a domestic position and that's what he was training for at the moment. Are SAR pilots deployed to combat front lines as well?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
:

I have to say - I like them both, but seeing as they both have big targets painted on their back, I wouldn't want to be the one standing next to them in a battle, for fear I'd have one painted on my back, too.
Don´t worry it won´t happen, and why are they more precious than other people´s sons? If they can´t be real soldiers why did they join? Much better to cut a few ribbons somewhere and practice taking the salute when the real soldiers march past.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Don´t worry it won´t happen, and why are they more precious than other people´s sons? If they can´t be real soldiers why did they join? Much better to cut a few ribbons somewhere and practice taking the salute when the real soldiers march past.
I know it's not the same situation because they aren't famous, but I wouldn't want to be standing next to Joe Biden, John McCain or Sarah Palin's kids for the same reason. They seem like easy and likely targets, and I would feel like I was in more danger because I was standing next to them. But I'm not in the military, so maybe the people they are serving with feel differently.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of scotland View Post
Maybe the best way for William to serve on the front lines is deploy him in conjunction with the SAS. I think with the SAS he will be able to have anonymity, he needs, and the soldiers need.
William is not a member, nor has he received the training to become a member of this elite unit, he is also in the RAF now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I think William's Search and Rescue decision was one of the best compromises, but I had understood that it was a domestic position and that's what he was training for at the moment. Are SAR pilots deployed to combat front lines as well?
This is what William said -
Quote:
I didn't join the forces to be mollycoddled or treated any different. I think as a future leader of the Armed Forces, it's really important you at least get the opportunity to be credible and to do the job I signed up for, as best I can. That's all I want to do. "The search and rescue role is now slightly different to obviously being able to go to Afghanistan, but it's still doing an important job.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

See, that's what I remembered, Skydragon. I thought he had come to terms with not being able to go to combat and settled for an equally important job with the military in a non-combat environment. I wonder what's made him suddenly go back to the "I want to go to Afghanistan" line?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 06-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think that is the spin the media are putting on it. A simple remark that 'if Harry can do it, so could I', doesn't really equate to 'I want', IMO.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I think that is the spin the media are putting on it. A simple remark that 'if Harry can do it, so could I', doesn't really equate to 'I want', IMO.
Very much like having a 27th birthday doesn´t equate to "he is getting married".
Old 06-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Prince William has spoken openly of his desire to fight for his country and dropped the strongest hint yet that he might still be given a frontline role.

Prince William says 'I want to fight in Afghanistan', as Harry reveals ambition to return to war zone | Mail Online
I hope William is allowed to go to Afghanistan abd Harry is allowed to return to fight. I understand who they are, but they are still soldiers, they should be allowed to defend their country and fight with there fellow soldiers.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I agree ... and actually just a second or so ago, I was thinkin that it would have been good if William could have been involved in search and rescue missions like the one currently taking place in the atlantic here for Air France 447. I mean he would feel like he's getting some action & training / experience, it would be a very useful activity, and he won't be in harms way, except for possible weather interferences.

"One day my music will unite. Fighting will be no more that's right. One day my people will know love and this war will over. And love will fall upon us ..." ~ from the song 'One Day' by Kees Dieffenthaller
Old 06-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Aristocracy

And he would be doing something to help people - he would be serving in the military, just in a different capacity.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Courtier

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...eet-gangs.html
Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

With the SAR thing even if they deny him the opportunity to go to a war area could he still go somewhere else to do his operational tour?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
With the SAR thing even if they deny him the opportunity to go to a war area could he still go somewhere else to do his operational tour?
Yes, I am sure I read somewhere about the possibility of him being deployed to the Falklands, although I doubt if they would do that considering the delicate nature of that issue for the Argentinians.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope he atleast gets sent somewhere, I dunno if he doesn't I'll sorta be left with the feeling that all this was for nothing.

ETA: Here's the original press release from last year
Quote:
An operational tour — of which he is expected to do one, if not two — lasts 30-36 months, which will take him to about 2014. He would normally be expected to do one six to eight-week stint in the Falkland Islands every year.
And here's what we're hearing now
Quote:
When told he seemed to suggest an operational role was not an impossibility, the prince replied: 'In my mind, of course. If you talk to everyone else it's impossible. I still remain hopeful there's a chance
Old 06-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yes, I am sure I read somewhere about the possibility of him being deployed to the Falklands, although I doubt if they would do that considering the delicate nature of that issue for the Argentinians.
Where did you read that he might be deployed to the Falklands?
Old 06-21-2009, 02:50 AM
Majesty

Falklands denies any arrangements for SAR pilot Prince William — MercoPress

Argentina unhappy over Prince William’s Falklands posting

These are just two of the sources that ran the story.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I hope he atleast gets sent somewhere, I dunno if he doesn't I'll sorta be left with the feeling that all this was for nothing.

ETA: Here's the original press release from last year
And here's what we're hearing now

I think there is a difference in these reports about where he would go.

e.g. he could serve in the Caribbean (as he did last year with the navy) or in any number of other areas but not in a war zone such as Afghanistan.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Heir Apparent

^That would be a good idea! (the Caribbean) It might not be his ideal place to go but I'm sure once he's there he'll enjoy himself. I hope they do something like that.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

In his first article for a national newspaper, Prince William explains how we can all learn from military values.

It seems to have become a cliché in recent years for people in all walks of life to talk about how Armed Forces’ discipline and strict lifestyle could help a wayward generation of young people to learn how to behave in a civilised manner.

Prince William: how I believe that society can learn from the military; Armed Forces Day - Telegraph
Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William needs to be tougher than Diana

Street thugs must be condemned before being offered a helping hand, says George Pitcher.

I've never met him, but Prince William seems a thoughtful young man. And reading his first article for a national newspaper in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph, it's a calculated guess that his analysis of a topical social issue owes something to both his mother's and his father's genes

Prince William needs to be tougher than Diana - Telegraph

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william