The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
Who are WE to judge Prince William? I'm personally giving him the benifit of the doubt in this delicate issue. Just my humble opinion....
Many of us will be represented by this young man, if he attends anything on behalf of his grandmother, The Queen, so yes some of us do have the right to question a lack of consideration. I don't see what doubt there is to give him. He failed to look at the name tag which showed that this was a close relative of someone killed in the conflict, was this because William considered himself above bothering? I do hope not!

Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I didn't ever suggest that he did it on purpose - just that he didn't prepare properly, think before he opened his mouth or do any basic thing that a prepared person would have done on this occasion.

I agree on that part. Hopefully it won't happen again cause obviously it doesn't look good on his part

Old 10-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

While I do think this was a significant error on William's part, of the sort we don't expect someone in his shoes to make, I'm sure he regrets it and has learnt a lesson.

It seems to have been an informal sort of gathering where people were mixing and relating spontaneously rather than a formal receiving line, and William had to assess and respond instantaneously. This can be difficult for some people, especially when a lot is expected for them as is the case with William. I have a feeling this sort of thing does not come as easily to him as it does to Harry.

William will have to work on learning how to handle this sort of situation. He will improve with practice. It's all part of his training for his main job. His stint with the military is part of it too.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Okay he did a flub. But to try to imply what his 'intentions' are or what his 'attitude' is or what his 'feelings' are based on this incident is taking it too far imo. None of us knows these things. I agree that he will improve with practice.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Serene Highness

The story doesn't sound good...but I'm sure William was embarrassed enough when he realized his mistake. I do think that not thinking to check the badge looks like a sign of inexperience.

Sometimes I've wondered about how mature or experienced William is for his age. He doesn't really do royal duties, and I do understand that he has the military training to finish and all that, but recently I was reading about Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden. She's done some military training, but she's also attended Yale, completed several different programs of study, had work experience with the UN, learned several languages, traveled to many different countries and gained experience in international affairs and diplomacy...She's only a few years older than William, but she puts most members of the British Royal Family to shame.

Not everyone is academic or could accomplish what Victoria has, but I can't help wondering how useful William's years of military training are going to be. Maybe the royal family should have balanced out his training more...maybe a shorter stint in the military, and more public relations experience?

I would never write William or anyone off in their late twenties, and William is still young. But he's not that young--he'll be thirty in about 2 1/2 years--and he's probably going to be king someday. There is a difference between 18 and 28, for example. When people were saying Eugenie would never amount to anything because of the way she behaved on her gap year, I thought it was ridiculous; but I would probably have agreed more if she'd been ten years older. I think it's better to do as much learning as possible when one is young, so I hope William is gaining the experience he's going to need for his future role.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Majesty

I think that one problem with William is that he's not yet the heir to the throne. He's the heir's heir. He's in a position that hasn't occurred in Britain since Edward VII's day. Princess Victoria, on the other hand, is the direct heir to the throne of Sweden.

When Prince Charles becomes King, then we'll see both William and Harry take on a much more visible Royal role.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

I agree that many people unfairly compare William to the Crown Princes/Crown Princess Victoria when he isn't in that position.

The fact that the British Royal Family have one way of preparing their heirs and other countries have others is immaterial.

The important thing is that in 30 or so years when he becomes King, if he becomes King, he has been prepared for the British system of government.

He will probably spend another 10 or 20 years behind the heir - by which time children like Christian of Denmark will be in the position he is now - the heir to the heir.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Majesty

Yes, there's a feeling out there that William should be as visible and front-and-centre as Prince Charles or William's mother were at the same age. But they were both in an entirely different position, as Prince and Princess of Wales, respectively. And of course, at the age of 27, Prince Charles was in a very different position than his mother was at that age.

Quote:
I agree that many people unfairly compare William to the Crown Princes/Crown Princess Victoria when he isn't in that position.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:46 AM
Majesty

Am I sensing the general mood amongst some posters in relation to William is that this "crime" is probably big enough to demand that he be removed from the lines of succession?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Am I sensing the general mood amongst some posters in relation to William is that this "crime" is probably big enough to demand that he be removed from the lines of succession?

Definitely not.

He is not all that good a representative but he hasn't yet committed treason or murder or raped anyone and that is the only reasons I think he should lose his place.

He might turn out all right if given another 30 or so years to develop so I hope and pray that Charles lives as long as his grandmother and then William will be in his late 60s and might even be ready.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

The fact that the British Royal Family have one way of preparing their heirs and other countries have others is immaterial.

The important thing is that in 30 or so years when he becomes King, if he becomes King, he has been prepared for the British system of government.

He will probably spend another 10 or 20 years behind the heir - by which time children like Christian of Denmark will be in the position he is now - the heir to the heir.
That's a good point. I didn't think of that--that Crown Princess Victoria is the direct heir. But to be the "heir's heir" like William must be a frustrating position to be in. It's not "time" yet for you to be front and centre in royal duties, but you can't also go off and get an ordinary job or lead a private life. It doesn't seem like a very productive life and I wonder if it ever frustrates William.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that's why he's pursuing an RAF career because it gives him something constructive to do while he waits. But he also has to do some royal functions so that he's not criticized and also to start helping because the Queen and Duke aren't getting any younger. It's a balancing act. But I think William will be a fine King when his time comes.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Majesty

It's certainly not my feeling. I'm content to see William in the background until it's his turn to come forward. It was difficult for Prince Charles to come up with definable role--what does one do while waiting for one's mother to do die (although I'm sure that the Prince of Wales doesn't think in such crass terms)? It must be much more difficult when the next generation down is even further away from the job for which he was born. So what does he do? He can't go into business. He can't fight like a real soldier and risk his life. He can't do public duties all the time, or else he'd get the media attention that should go to his grandmother and father. All I want, really, is for William to establish a strong personal foundation and learn about his future role so that he'll have caring support and the knowledge he'll need in days to come--hopefully days that are far in the future.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think he should be able to serve properly in the military as his great-grandfather did when he was second in line (in WWI) and his uncle in the Falklands.

It isn't as if there are no other heirs.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Certainly not.
Prince Charles, Duchess Camilla, Prince Phillip and even The Queen have made mistakes like this at one point. It just doesn't look good for William to be honest.

But yes I do keep forgetting that he is the heirs heir like Prince Christian, Princess Catharina-Amalia, Princess Ingrid-Alexandra, Princess Elisabeth.
(this has just made me realise there is only two male heir to heirs)

I do think he should be able to serve like his gret-grandfather and his uncle.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Have I missed something, I don't read that into any of the posts? Whilst it was not a 'crime' to miss the fact that he was talking to a grieving father and not a war veteran, it was a stupid mistake to have made, by anyone, least of all a member of the royal family and a serving officer.

Things such as this do matter, especially to the bereaved parent.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Insensitive and uninformed? YES

Criminal and Malicious? NO

Old 10-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Time to move on.

Any additional posts regarding William's offense at the Memorial Service will be deleted without notice.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I do think he should be able to serve like his gret-grandfather and his uncle.

But they weren't heirs to the throne at the time. I don't think the govt. (or the Queen) would allow William to go to war for obvious reasons. But there's nothing wrong with doing Search and Rescue. I think it's very honorable to do a job saving people's lives.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

When Andrew served in the Falklands, he was the 2nd in line as William was not born until the following month. AIR, HM insisted Andrew be allowed to stay with his ship during the conflict.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william