The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh William! I'm sure it was an accident I don't think William meant to offend anyone, he just messed up...it happens yes the man has a point but we all make mistakes.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:29 PM

Smart move, William

He better not make the same mistake again.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Oh William! I'm sure it was an accident I don't think William meant to offend anyone, he just messed up...it happens yes the man has a point but we all make mistakes.
This shows lack of preparation for the event.

He was at an event specifically to honour those who had made the ultimate sacrifice so a bit of prepartion and thought wouldn't haven't gone astray.

He is a serving officer. I would expect him to know how to do a quick check of a medal (especially those presented for such men as this) before opening his mouth.

He is in his late 20s.

Sorry - this isn't a mistake but a general lack of concern and care for his duties.

If he had been 18, had never served in the military, had had no idea of what he was attending maybe - but not at an event like this - in the street it could be excused but not on this occasion.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
Now, I'm sure it was just a very unfortunate incident and William probably didn't even have time to notice the badge (as Mr Thompson said "I just got turned around and the next thing I knew I was shaking his hand").
Nevertheless, I wish he had been more careful.
This is what I think too Marsel.
Also he's only recently started to attend these type of events and he may have felt a bit overwhelmed and nervous. He is only human. We all make mistakes. Hopefully he's learned from his mistake and will be more careful. I don't think it's fair to say he doesn't care.
BTW is The Telegraph a rag mag?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I know what we're about compare isn't the same thing and my example is very vage but I've had occasions in the past where I'm quite educated on a certain thing but when I see it I make the mistake and think it's something else,I'm being very general cause I can't quite remember off the top of my head but I know I've done it. Ya I'm more then aware he should be able to tell the badge's apart, not denying that but I doubt he ever meant to hurt the man, obviously William knows what it's like to lose a loved one so he definitely didn't do it on purpose.
Quote:
Now, I'm sure it was just a very unfortunate incident and William probably didn't even have time to notice the badge (as Mr Thompson said "I just got turned around and the next thing I knew I was shaking his hand"). Nevertheless, I wish he had been more careful.
I agree I imagine that's what happened actually I can so see the conversation right now in my head he was probably really nervous and wanted to seem polite and just spoke before thinking. I think the thing with William is alot of people have him written off but in my honest opinion I'm sure William is very intelligent, ya he's screwed up more then once and so has Harry but give me a break if you were to sit there and count my mess ups you'd think my life was doomed. Yes it's on a different scale then William but come on now we all have our moments where we speak before thinking. Ya he's almost 30 but do humans really ever stop making mistakes and learning from them? No so why is William any different. He's messed up before he will do it again but I'm not going to judge him because of it since I really don't think that's fair, it's just me just the type of person I am...perhaps I'm insane I dunno. Anyways rant over.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Majesty

The Telegraph had the reputation of being a very good newspaper, on par with the London Times; but according to comments that people have made, the quality has declined somewhat. It seems to be carrying more gossipy stories about the Royal Family lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat View Post
Old 10-15-2009, 02:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I see, thanks Mermaid1962. Well there you have it. For all we know this story might not even be true.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I know what we're about compare isn't the same thing and my example is very vage but I've had occasions in the past where I'm quite educated on a certain thing but when I see it I make the mistake and think it's something else,I'm being very general cause I can't quite remember off the top of my head but I know I've done it. Ya I'm more then aware he should be able to tell the badge's apart, not denying that but I doubt he ever meant to hurt the man, obviously William knows what it's like to lose a loved one so he definitely didn't do it on purpose.

I didn't ever suggest that he did it on purpose - just that he didn't prepare properly, think before he opened his mouth or do any basic thing that a prepared person would have done on this occasion.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
This is what I think too Marsel.
Also he's only recently started to attend these type of events and he may have felt a bit overwhelmed and nervous. He is only human. We all make mistakes. Hopefully he's learned from his mistake and will be more careful. I don't think it's fair to say he doesn't care.
Actually he has been attending these sorts of events all his life.

I do remember a number of pictures of him attending functions with his mother so for over 12 years. Basic common sense should have taught him to think before opening his mouth and check things out before saying something that makes him look stupid.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

There are pictures of him doing a few walkabouts with his mother - that's all. And it doesn't matter people can still make mistakes.
Anyway, the story may not even be true. Quite frankly the more I think about it, I find it hard to believe that someone would actually go to the press over it.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Courtier

I have been reading a few things in the British papers and the man who made those remarks is a grief stricken father. I understand perfectly, he wants to blame someone and it really doesn´t matter who. Just recently the ex Prime Minister was approached and told he had the blood of someone´s son on his hands and many other incidents like this. It is only natural, but all these men are volunteers and it would be very naive indeed to think that a soldier goes to war and will not be in danger.
Poor boys, and parents.
If William did make this mistake, and it was a mistake, and easily made for someone who has not been in the military long enough to learn everything, he must have felt terrible but my sympathy goes out to the poor man who will never get over this and will forget how very proud he probably felt when he first saw his son in uniform.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
This shows lack of preparation for the event.

He was at an event specifically to honour those who had made the ultimate sacrifice so a bit of preparation and thought wouldn't haven't gone astray.

He is a serving officer. I would expect him to know how to do a quick check of a medal (especially those presented for such men as this) before opening his mouth.

He is in his late 20s.

Sorry - this isn't a mistake but a general lack of concern and care for his duties.

If he had been 18, had never served in the military, had had no idea of what he was attending maybe - but not at an event like this - in the street it could be excused but not on this occasion.
I agree with you 100%. These men and women died or were injured for Queen and country, that's why we were all there, to honour them, to show we cared. As a serving officer he should have had the mental ability to do an instant visual check on badges/medals, as a representative of HM, doubly so.

Quote:
Anyway, the story's probably not even true. Quite frankly the more I think about it, I find it hard to believe that someone would actually go to the press over it.
On what do you base your assumption that a bereaved father would bother to lie about something like this? I imagine he has more things to concern him than making up stories!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
On what do you base your assumption that a bereaved father would bother to lie about something like this? I imagine he has more things to concern him than making up stories!

Couldn't agree more - the very fact that he is a grieving father is what lends a great deal of credibility to the story for me.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I'm not suggesting that Skydragon. I'm saying there could be a staunch Republican or anti-war person who works for the Telegraph who made the story up. It wouldn't be the first time the press made up a story to make the royals look bad. So this could be much ado about nothing. I guess we'll never know.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that Skydragon. I'm saying there could be a staunch Republican or anti-war person who works for the Telegraph who made the story up. It wouldn't be the first time the press made up a story to make the royals look bad. So this could be much ado about nothing. I guess we'll never know.
It is very easy to know. Do you really think that the army or Clarence House would allow the Telegraph to invent a deceased soldier called Kevin Thompson and have quotes from his fictional father about the effect his death has had on his family just to make William look bad. It is a clear case of William making a stupid mistake. Hopefully he will learn from this and there will be no more like it. There are times when you can excuse things due to human error but this was not one of them.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
There are times when you can excuse things due to human error but this was not one of them.
If it wasn't human error on William's part, what was it? Deliberate?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Courtier

I think we are blowing this unfortunate incident out of proportions.
Whatever one may think of Prince William, I don’t believe for a second he would intentionally do anything that would hurt the feelings of the soldiers’ families.

If you read how Mr. Thompson described his meeting with the Prince, you will notice that it all happened rather accidentally and too quickly for William to realize what badge Mr. Thompson was wearing. After all, when you greet someone, you look into their face.

Now, I do wish William had been more careful, or thought before talking but it was just an ill-timed incident.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The article is by Andrew Pierce, a staunch defender of the monarchy and as far as I am aware (from actuslly listening to the man), does not have a republican bone in his body! He is also the Royal Editor for The Telegraph having previously been the Assistant Editor at the Times!

IMO, making excuses for a stupid comment, just makes it worse!

Quote:
If you read how Mr. Thompson described his meeting with the Prince, you will notice that it all happened rather accidentally and too quickly for William to realize what badge Mr. Thompson was wearing. After all, when you greet someone, you look into their face.
Except William approached Kevin Thompsons father, therefore I would have expected him to look at all and any badges he might have been wearing as a clue to whom he was going to talk to! If in any of the arms of the forces, you automatically 'rank' anyone you approach!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
If it wasn't human error on William's part, what was it? Deliberate?
The badge Mr Thompson was wearing was for people who had lost a family member. It would have taking William just a few seconds to check what badge he was wearing before he spoke. He chose not to do this, causing even more pain to an already hurting man. Not a case of simple human error on his part but, imo, an example of not really being interest in who he is speaking to.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Who are WE to judge Prince William? I'm personally giving him the benifit of the doubt in this delicate issue. Just my humble opinion....

Tags
prince william