Prince William Current Events 22: January-April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 articles and a video from the Gala last night. Actually he did go over and shake the hands of waiting members of the public outside as he left. Now I can't remember where I read it this morning but there are talks of the TWO of them to visit this year for the Rugby world cup. They said they're waiting to see how Canada responds but judging by the video clips everyone is excited to see Kate when she does finally come over.
Vic towns prepare for Prince William
Prince to meet Victorian flood victims - ABC Central Victoria - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Great photo galleries
In Pictures: Prince William in Ipswich | Ipswich | Ipswich Queensland Times
Prince William visits Grantham | Ipswich | Ipswich Queensland Times

More articles
William will be the king of hearts | National News | Breaking National News in Australia | Ipswich Queensland Times
William comforts survivors | Ipswich News | Local News in Ipswich | Ipswich Queensland Times

Last edited:
It's his third, the trip in 2005 wasn't representing the Queen, he was there for the Lions rugby tour and went with the team.
He represented the Queen in 2010 on an official visit to open the NZ High Court.
Now this visit, so that makes 3.

Actually he was representing the Queen in 2005. Here he is in NZ in 2005 representing her majesty at the war memorial:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

He did open the parliament for HM as well in 2010, but that was his second visit representing the Queen.

He is not officially representing HM this trip. It's a private visit undertaken on his own behalf in light of the recent tragedies.

It's good to see William being well received once again in Australia. They seem to love him!

Actually he was representing the Queen in 2005. Here he is in NZ in 2005 representing her majesty at the war memorial:

He did open the parliament for HM as well in 2010, but that was his second visit representing the Queen.

He is not officially representing HM this trip. It's a private visit undertaken on his own behalf in light of the recent tragedies.
The royal family website states that P. William is in New Zeeland on behalf of the queen.

I have been very impressed by William during his visit.

Day 3

Articles:
Prince William's Australian visit falls flat | News.com.au

Prince William praises Kerang volunteers

Prince William brings sunshine to flood-hit Kerang on a rainy day | Herald Sun

Locals try to storm William barbecue

There's videos on youtube but I'm too exhausted to find them so just type Prince William and hit search by upload date or something to that affect.

A photo I LOVED: Prince William Visits Queensland

This quote deathly reminded me of Diana. I think it was that little girl in Angola who didn't know who she was and when she left said " Is she an angel?"

Then he embraced an intellectually disabled woman who grabbed him and would not let go. "It's all right, you can have a hug," he told Derelle Linneth. Her carer said Derelle had no idea who the prince was, but sensed he was special.
Prince William eases Aussies' pain | Stuff.co.nz

Although it's interesting a previous article said the same woman had idolized William for years and knew perfectly well who he was.

EDIT: That's a wrap! William is now en route back to England. I'll have additional articles and videos in the morning for now I'm off to bed.

Last edited:

William was not representing the Queen on his visit to New Zealand in 2005. He travelled to New Zealand with the British Lions rugby team and spent time with them as well as having a holiday. (His friend Tom van Straubenzee came with him) He did carry out official engagements but on his behalf not the Queen's laying the wreath at the war memorial, he did as HIS not the Queen's, mark of respect. The card attached had a comment from William and not on behalf of the Queen. Besides the wreath laying, he met with the Governor-General (he was there at the time of 7/7 so signed a condolence book for the victims) the rest of the time he was with the rugby team.

(Not all royal engagements are on behalf of the Queen, Charles's trips are on behalf of the Foreign Office. Other royals visit Australia on behalf of their patronages there, not on the Queen's behalf)

In 2010, he didn't open parliament, British royals no longer do that when they visit. The New Zealand government had invited the Queen to open their High Court (previously the New Zealanders took their appeals to the UK High Court) The Queen sent William as her representative and officially opened the High Court.

Did Prince William leave Australia? I heard on the news there was flooding again and flights were delayed.

He did a wonderful job. Tear began to run down my face at seeing him with the stricken people. His mother did a good job raising those boys as long as she did and she is in them. Luckily, he seems to have a nice, stable girl from a nice family to support him.

Prince William and Prince Harry seem to have inherited the very best of both of their parents. Harry's Army career juxtaposed with Sentable et. al. and William's Air Force career with that of his Official visit to the disaster ravaged areas of New Zealand and Australia . . . . the ultimate Charm Offensive reminiscent of his Great Grandfather in the rubble of the East End.

Both offer the world a whole new side to their Grandmother's reign.

My brother, who lives in Sumner in Christchurch (and has gone through the earthquakes), was in the right place at the right time and actually got to shake Prince William's hand. My brother isn't even a Royalist (though he has no problems with Royalty) but he said he was very impressed with Prince William.

That's great for your brother, EllieCat! A really nice memory for him to have out of all the destruction in his part of the world.:flowers:

My brother, who lives in Sumner in Christchurch (and has gone through the earthquakes), was in the right place at the right time and actually got to shake Prince William's hand.

William has done an exemplary job on his tour. I'm confident when the time comes he should be a great King.

I remember when a 9-year old Australian girl who survived cancer wrote to countless politicians and to William and Harry, very few politicians bothered to answer. But William and Harry wrote back almost immediately.

This may have been mentioned upthread, but did William take a government fight or a commercial flight to NZ and Australia?

William was not representing the Queen on his visit to New Zealand in 2005

Of course he was. :D

Prince William visits New Zealand - Gallery 4

6th July 2005
Prince William visited New Zealand at the invitation of British and Irish Lions coach, Sir Clive Woodward. He will spend time with the team on the training ground and conduct some engagements on behalf of the Queen.

The Prince of Wales - Prince William visits New Zealand - Gallery 4

On this recent occasion, it was strictly his idea even though he mentioned his family.

This may have been mentioned upthread, but did William take a government fight or a commercial flight to NZ and Australia?

I am guessing that these were all commercial flights.

O.k. maybe not the right spot for this but... What happened to the special program that was supposed to be on regarding William and Harry? I looked on all our channels here in Hawaii and couldnt find a thing. Are they not showing any of the specials on American television? I was so looking forward to watching them before the wedding.:sad:

O.k. maybe not the right spot for this but... What happened to the special program that was supposed to be on regarding William and Harry? I looked on all our channels here in Hawaii and couldnt find a thing. Are they not showing any of the specials on American television? I was so looking forward to watching them before the wedding.:sad:

Aloha LadyGabrielle! Which program are you referring to? I don't recall one being advertised for Princes Harry and William.

BTW, I moved to Texas from Kailua-Kona, Hawaii! :flowers: What was I thinking? :lol:

LadyGabrielle said:

A special on the princes aired twice on BBC America where I live last night.

I remember when a 9-year old Australian girl who survived cancer wrote to countless politicians and to William and Harry, very few politicians bothered to answer. But William and Harry wrote back almost immediately.
I am not surprised somehow! Wonderful story about 2 caring young men!

Last edited:
Prince William travelled in economy class during New Zealand trip - Telegraph

Prince William flew "cattle class" under the pseudonym Mr Pinkerton-Smith during his recent visit to New Zealand, it has emerged.

The Prince and his security team are understood to have taken their seats with other passengers in the economy class cabin of an Air New Zealand Boeing 737 on the flight from Auckland to the earthquake-stricken city of Christchurch.

There is no other class...

Prince William travelled in economy class during New Zealand trip - Telegraph

Prince William flew "cattle class" under the pseudonym Mr Pinkerton-Smith during his recent visit to New Zealand, it has emerged.

The Prince and his security team are understood to have taken their seats with other passengers in the economy class cabin of an Air New Zealand Boeing 737 on the flight from Auckland to the earthquake-stricken city of Christchurch.

...on Air New Zealand 737s (seatguru.com). Since William is a helicopter pilot, he is probably used to uncomfortable seats, though.

I simply do not believe what this story is trying to say. Not for a minute. He and his bodyguards may have flown with a passle of press reps. on a bought-out flight, but regular passengers would never have been allowed to fly on this plane.

He would be recognizable to most commonwealth citizens, which would have caused a riot.

C'mon, get real!

I agree with KittyAtlanta......however if the story is true, its a risky yet a commendable effort on William's side.

I simply do not believe what this story is trying to say. Not for a minute. He and his bodyguards may have flown with a passle of press reps. on a bought-out flight, but regular passengers would never have been allowed to fly on this plane.

He would be recognizable to most commonwealth citizens, which would have caused a riot.

C'mon, get real!

William (and other members of the BRF) has flown of commercial flights on a number of occassions previously, and I am reasonably sure other passengers would have been allowed onto the Air NZ flight.

William (and other members of the BRF) has flown of commercial flights on a number of occassions previously, and I am reasonably sure other passengers would have been allowed onto the Air NZ flight.

You're right, the family has. And considering all the horrible press about Andrew and the hundreds of thousands he spends on private jets for his work, I'd not be surprised if William flew commercial. I think the part about coach is likely a joke though. Maybe he was up alone in first class, easier to clear out first class, than the entire airplane.

A special on the princes aired twice on BBC America where I live last night.

Yes thats the one! I looked for it on my listings here and there was'nt anything. Is it only on BBC America? If so I dont think we get that channel here for some ghastly reason. I hope I can figure it out before the next program on the 29th.Thanks for the help.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom