Prince William Current Events 19: May 2008-May 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince William takes part in a hurricane drill in the Caribbean | Mail Online

I have to say the fact that everything William does in the mmilitary is photographed irks me somewhat. Either the media are taking the pics without permission in which case they should leave him alone while he is working. Or, even worse in my opinion, Clarence House is giving permission for the pictures to be taken in which case they should stop using everything William does as a PR stun and realise that letting Willaim just get on with serving in the military without such a fuss. That would win more admiration from the public, like it did for Harry.

Wills to the rescue | Royal Navy hurricane rescue practice | The Sun |HomePage|News|Royals

Hmmm given that this article contains a quote from the captain of William's ship i imagine he must have had permission to speak to the media, intresting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree tommy. I find that rather annoying as well. I do not doubt that William is a capable commander who does his job properly but I need not be told so every other week. To allow the press access only makes his military work appear like a PR stunt something he clearly does not need. They should really let him do his work without media coverage to make it look much more genuine.

...and the daily Clarence House PR spin is oozing off the monitors ... what's next, Prince William saving the oceans from a deep sea monster? I am sure he's a very capable officer but why overdo everything. William busting up drug barons, William hailed as a natural leader ... I am getting tired of all those headlines that seem to have only one aim: make forget the much discussed blunders that happened only a few weeks ago. He's doing a good job like anyone else, nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe it's the RN that sees this as a good opportunity to get some well earned attention to what they are doing. Fair enough I think.

I think it's win/win situation for all involved. William gets some good PR and the Royal Navy gets some much needed press attention.

Glad he did this So will he be given his Medal From the USA In America or Britian?

Yes. This is what working members of the Royal Family do--draw attention to the good work that others are doing.:flowers:

Maybe it's the RN that sees this as a good opportunity to get some well earned attention to what they are doing. Fair enough I think.

Are they all getting a medal, or is William getting the medal as the respresentative of the crew?

Glad he did this So will he be given his Medal From the USA In America or Britian?

I agree tommy. I find that rather annoying as well. I do not doubt that William is a capable commander who does his job properly but I need not be told so every other week. To allow the press access only makes his military work appear like a PR stunt something he clearly does not need. They should really let him do his work without media coverage to make it look much more genuine.
I also agree. If he is serious about 'learning the basics', then we don't need his PR machine in full motion.

It lessens the whole experience and people start to question what else is going to be laid on for his fun and games! :rolleyes:

Although this is a great honour and I'm very proud of William and everyone else invloved, I'm fed up with all these awards and what not just let him do his training, he seems pretty serious about it.. I think I just hope he's learned his lesson from the last time. A better idea in my mind is give him the awards after he finishes if you must. I don't know maybe I'm just in a weird mood today, I mean I love William but this is getting ridiculous seems like every week he gets a new award.

As the entire crew was involved in some way, I wonder if they are all getting this award. From the little I have been able to find, at the moment it would appear not.

The artlices make it out that he would not be the only one getting Joint Service Achivemnet Medal I believe that it would the helicopter and boarding crews as well as probably those who help wiegh the drugs. This would include those who are US Coast Gaurdmen or women and RN personal. Unless it being given only to him as an important international figure which would unfair on two counts it was a pretty small bust and there were others invloved. The media cocentrates on him because he is famous which unfair to the real RN men and women and the US Coast Gaurdsman and women to which this routine.
Will he even be allowed to wear in on his uniform?
I am sure he is an able commissioned officer. Being an Army officer I am sure he would rather deployed with regiment wether to Iraq or Afganistan or at least somewhere with NATO forces. So he could use the skills he obtained during training in something resembaling combat but probably knows this is the closest he will get. Since he is probably leaving the Army Jan next year.

As the entire crew was involved in some way, I wonder if they are all getting this award. From the little I have been able to find, at the moment it would appear not.
I do hope everyone else involved gets an award as well, if not it's going to look really obvious that's it's just for PR.

I do hope everyone else involved gets an award as well, if not it's going to look really obvious that's it's just for PR.

I hope everyone else involved gets an award too otherwise that will prove wholy unfair to the men and women who serve everyday (not just for a couple of months) without having their achievements commented on and praised by the media. I assume all will recieve a medal because even Clarence House can't be that bad at PR (despite past experiences :whistling:)

It is surprising to see William doing such short attachments. His father was attached to the RAF for a whole year and still complained it was not enough time to learn everything essential for his operations, and then did six years in the navy with several months on various ships of all kinds, and still complained he was being rushed through all his certifications! Imagine how William must feel, being shepherded through a two-month attachment to the navy! How can he have time to achieve anything? :ermm:

Good points, CasiraghiTrio. Even at the age William was when started officer training. Was William's really short term of military serivce because Charles wanted him to begin full time royal duties or because William was not very interested in doing military serivce? I tend think it is was due to the first reason said. It seems like his head spinning with information he has learned about being a pilot even though was not nearly what most would learn since William was not taught all the tactical stuff since he was never going to operationally and learning the even basic ship driving and navigation in three weeks before being sent to a ship. Plus what ever he is learning while on ship board. It does not seem that could acheive very much except getting drugs out circulation, hopefully, more than just that one bust.

Prince William has taken part in a British navy helicopter raid that opened fire on a speedboat believed to be used by drug runners.

Prince William's British Navy Helicopter Raid: Royal Tracks Suspected Drug Smugglers In Caribbean | Home | Sky News

Prince William was involved in a second dramatic drugs raid in the Caribbean, when a helicopter he was in opened fire on a boat of suspected cocaine smugglers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...copter-opens-cocaine-smugglers-speedboat.html

Prince William is preparing to swap his military uniform for a smart suit in his new job as a Whitehall civil servant.

Prince William to expand his royal role - Telegraph

I'm glad to hear that such a comprehensive "training" program has been arranged for William. I think the BRF realizes what a potential superstar they have on their hands with him, and I'm sure they want to make sure he continues to remain popular with the people. Easing him into serious royal duties with the helping hands of some of the best in the business seems like a good way to help him avoid missteps in the future.

Prince William is preparing to become an 'apprentice' to learn how to be king. The second in line to the throne will start an intensive two-year training programme drawn up by the Queen and Prince Charles when he quits the military in the New Year.

His lessons in the 'art of kingship' will include working in different Whitehall departments to get a better idea of how government works, private instruction from constitutional experts, and briefings by privy councillors such as former prime minister Sir John Major.

The Royal Apprentice: Prince William's training programme on how to be king | Mail Online
--------------------
They have obviously read some of 'our' advice! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm glad to hear that such a comprehensive "training" program has been arranged for William. I think the BRF realizes what a potential superstar they have on their hands with him, and I'm sure they want to make sure he continues to remain popular with the people. Easing him into serious royal duties with the helping hands of some of the best in the business seems like a good way to help him avoid missteps in the future.
I agree. He is their great hope for the future and, should he marry Kate, LOOK OUT. Lol!! What a team they would make... :)

Prince William is preparing to swap his military uniform for a smart suit in his new job as a Whitehall civil servant.

Prince William to expand his royal role - Telegraph

From that article:

"Prince William's main aim for 2009 is to gain a general understanding of how the country operates regarding the legislature, the legal system and the great offices of state," said a senior royal aide.

LOL - that's what any school kid has to learn here in Germany during the first years in school.. to gain a "general understanding" - come on, where did this boy grew up that he has no idea how legislature in his country works? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Maybe it's a case of learning it from a different perspective -- from the view of a future king instead of as a British subject? But I agree, surely he learned this somewhere down the line at Eton...

From what I understand and I am ashamed to say that these subjects only seem to be 'touched upon' here if the child is 'lucky', dependent upon which subjects you elect to take nearer the end of your school career. In Primary, children are taught that no adult can grab or smack them (common assault or child abuse), but legislature, the legal system or anything else, not from what my grandchildren tell me, even at Eton! :ohmy: :blush::blush:

Agree with Skydragon those topics are hardly touched at school. From memory all we covered were the Kings and Queen's plus life in their reigns. We did have a over euhaustic history teacher that made us watch the State Opening of Parliament each year and explained ever detail.

I'm sure that Elizabeth's home schooling included constitutional studies.

Are they going to give him a speech coach? lol I love Wills and I don't mind how he speaks in interviews but once he starts making speeches I'd better not hear any "um's" coming from his mouth.

I feel like this part...

Clarence House said the prince would work with the Central Staff at the MoD, allowing him see how the three branches of the Armed Forces are directed.

...may be the most useful of any of it in the long run. I am glad that he's getting the chance to see the military he'll one day (sort of) command up close, but I just can't imagine that five weeks here and six weeks there really give him a true sense of what it's like being a soldier, sailor, or airman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom