The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
More criticism:
I feel it's getting very unfair now. Why should William of all the royals have been the one going to Beijing. The Queen is the head of state it's first and foremost her "job" to represent the country. The second one would be Charles as her representative. William hasn't even started full time royal duties yet. First everyone was eager for politicians and officials to boycot the Olympics in China and suddenly it's almost a crime not to be there?

Wills and Kate take the Picasso | The Sun |News|Columnists|Fergus Shanahan
Quite right, just trash written topush a fewcopies. William could have attended, but if the BRF decided that he would not, why blame him? Also, is it not Anne who is President of some Olympic related organsiation? If so, why would Will want to intrude on her turf!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

I donīt think it would have hurt Prince William to go to the Olympic Games to support the British Team. As far as Kate Middleton goes, I couldnīt care less. Sometimes people seem to forget how old the Queen is, that hot humid climate would not be very enjoyable or healthy for her. William is young and about time he took on some serious duties and besides that he would have enjoyed himself for sure.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Sun is hardly a tabloid to be taken seriously, so I shouldn't worry too much. I'm surprised they have even noticed the Olympics, did it push the topless models to the back?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

People read this tabloid. Not everyone think like you or Isana or anyone of us.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
I should think many of the British on here and in 'real' life would say the same about the Sun.

I found this whilst looking for a description of a Sun reader - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...php?p=26003462
Quote:
Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read the Sun?
Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits
Old 08-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
But no matter what the royal family does to try to keep themselves out of the tabloids, these papers are always going to find a story to publish - even if it's on the shady side of truth. So even if people are reading tabloids like The Sun and taking their stories as reality, what are the princes supposed to do? Stop having fun entirely?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
But no matter what the royal family does to try to keep themselves out of the tabloids, these papers are always going to find a story to publish - even if it's on the shady side of truth.
That's true.
Quote:
So even if people are reading tabloids like The Sun and taking their stories as reality, what are the princes supposed to do? Stop having fun entirely?
Yes, and go to Big Brother whith their whole family. People will be happy...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I think the main reason for the criticism is as Platell writes - could there be a greater insult to the brave fighting men who genuinely risk their lives in the service of their country?, IMO, No. He has spent a short time doing all the 'easy or fun activities', so for CH and Williams PR machine to suggest this will have given him any idea of the various arms, is ludicrous.Worked for the Mail?
I've been most critical of William's jumping from branch to branch but even if he stayed in one area of service longer, I don't think he would have had the perfectly normal military stint along with the dangers that most soldiers face. He'd have to go into combat to get that which was problematic even for Harry.

If he couldn't have a normal military stint and decided to forego military training, I suppose the armed forces would be less insulted for the time being but I imagine a total lack of military experience would come back to haunt him when he's having to assume honorary command of a regiment.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I donīt think it would have hurt Prince William to go to the Olympic Games to support the British Team. As far as Kate Middleton goes, I couldnīt care less. Sometimes people seem to forget how old the Queen is, that hot humid climate would not be very enjoyable or healthy for her. William is young and about time he took on some serious duties and besides that he would have enjoyed himself for sure.
You are right in thatit would not hurt Will to go to the Olympics - once he has entered active royal duty, which he is still to I am sure he will be attending the next Olympics.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Well, since the next Olympics will be in London chances are that he'll show up.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Courtier

I read somewhere that David Beckham is to attend the closing ceremonies in Beijing as a representative of London 2012. Might be possible that William will join him as a surprise. It would be a great goodwill gesture but perhaps just wishful thinking.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

To me the British Royal Family seem to have each person with particular responsiblities etc and Princess Anne gets the Olympic gigs due to having been a competitor.
The rest of the royals don't usually attend any games at all, except for Montreal when the Queen opened the games and the rest of the family went to watch Anne compete.
I don't seem to recall any other members of the BFR attending any Olympic Games so I would not expect William to attend.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Princess Anne is a member of the International Olympic Committee so is involved at an official level.
She is also a member of the London Organising Committe for the 2012 Games.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Wonder will we see Charles as King by then also thatll be the Diamond Jubilee will they collide
Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
I Wonder will we see Charles as King by then also thatll be the Diamond Jubilee will they collide
I was in Oxford when it was announced that the Olympics were to be in London in 2012 and one of the papers, the next day, had a piece that indicated that the Jubilee celebrations were planned to be a few weeks before the opening of the games so that they wouldn't collide but that people who wanted to attend, from overseas could do so as they wouldn't be months apart. I don't know how true it is but I do remember it. Unfortunately the papers didn't make it home with me to check.

The only way we will see Charles King by then is if the Queen has died in which case there won't be any Jubilee celebrations but given the date now they might have to ensure no overlap with coronation celebrations and unfortunately the possibility of funeral arrangements given the Queen and DOE's current ages (by then 86 and 91).

Personally I hope to see the Queen open the games with her beloved husband by her side and her eldest son and heir right there as well with his lovely wife.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Princess Anne is a member of the International Olympic Committee so is involved at an official level.
She is also a member of the London Organising Committe for the 2012 Games.
That is my point exactly - she is the member of the BRF who has the Olympic gig while other royals do other things.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Nobility

Not a very relible source but this about (some of) what William will do with the SAS.
Prince William must dodge LIVE bullets in SAS notorious killing house | News | News Of The World
Old 09-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Posts about Prince William's plans to train as a Search and Rescue pilot have been moved to their own thread here.

Posts about his charities and patronages have been moved to their own thread here.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Nobility

Prince William was supposed to be doing things the SAS, SBS, SRR, and the AAC as well as at the MoD or was it at Whitehall. I supprised there have ben no pictures of doing any of it. As I had understood the thing SAS, SBS, and SSR were supposed to be in the mode of visits more than nessarily active Particapation in excerses.
What has Prince William been doing since 1 Sept.?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

According to the Telegraph, anyway, William's been training at an RAF base since September 15.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Closed Thread

Tags
prince william