The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Unfortunately it seems to be Charles's fate that people never fully recognize his exceptional abilities. I always have a laugh when I read that William is being hailed by the Navy as a "true leader" - this credit should have gone to his father a long time ago who spent a longer time in the armed forces and made some valuable impact. For some reason William gets praised for doing very little so far while others who do a lot more but their impact is being ignored or even ridiculed.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Courtier

Prince William completes Navy attachment..

ITN - Prince completes Navy attachment

Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Commoner

Just a guess...Prince Charles spent a much longer period in the military because there wasn't much chance of him getting the throne at that point in the Queen's life. He had YEARS to wait and fill.

The fact that they are speeding up Prince Williams military service, and getting him into government offices (in spite of all the "general" regulations and procedures one learns about in school - at least in the USA - much of how things really transpire takes place behind closed doors) looks as though he may be put forward for the throne in place of Charles.

Although I seriously doubt you will hear any advance warning of this as the Queen still appears in excellent health.

It looks as though they don't want him to appear too inexperienced when the time comes.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Aristocracy

Completely agree CPV Rules. William will ascend to the throne a lot younger than his father will. When Charles was Williams age his mother was only in her late-forties. Such a different situation.

The only thing I don't agree with is that William will replace his fathers place in succession. Charles will reign (London will be filled for his coronation), but it will be a short reign due to his age.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

US schools are very different to UK schools and William will first have to learn the basics. I doubt William will be involved in any of the 'behind closed doors' activities, especially with our strict Freedom of Information Act. The outcry from the media & politicians that a future King is being involved in politics would be overwhelming and the last thing Clarence House needs is another bad PR exercise. There is no chance of William skipping his father to become King, Charles will follow his mother and William, if the UK hasn't voted for a republic by then, will follow him!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Nobility

The only way William would become King without his father being king first would Charles wer to die before he could becomre king. That does not seem very likely.
Why did set William military service up as series of short attachments?
The non-attachment was with the Blues and Royals. Which was only fully trained with for three or four months before he did his attachment with the RAF which was not much of a success.
Than he did the RN attachment and was deployed to a soft place.
While he is doing his few months he is going from the SAS to the SBS to the SRR to the AAC and with the MoD at Whitehall before he does Civil Service stuff at Whitehall next year as part of Kingship training. Is all this just so he can't be deployed anywhere dangerous?
Prince William seems to be doing so much that could over at least another year and a half or two.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Gentry

I hope we have first King Charles. He is the better men
Old 08-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Serene Highness

It's a hard life being a king in waiting.

After two years as an Army officer, Prince William will soon have to move back in with Charles and Camilla at Clarence House as he adjusts to full-time royal duties....

The blonde helping Wills move back with dad, at the age of 26 | Mail Online
Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Majesty

I forsee gossipy articles about Thea and William.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Was there any question that he wouldn't move back to Clarence House? This part makes it seem like it wasn't a sure thing...

Quote:
The prince's decision to move back into Clarence House will encourage speculation that he is keen to put off an engagement to his girlfriend Kate Middleton for another 12 months or so.
... but why wouldn't he move back in with Harry? It's not like they're bunking down with Charles and Camilla. They've got their own apartment on an entirely separate floor. I guess when you write for a tabloid and you want controversial news but there isn't any, you've got to invent it.

Plus, we already knew that he was getting ready to set up his own staff, with the press office articles from a few weeks back. And, as an aside, I think it's hilarious that they chose a picture of Thea that looks like she's on holiday or getting ready to go out and have a picnic.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Courtier

PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Wills must get a job or he'll end up like Charles | Mail Online
Quote:
By all accounts, William is, in fact, an intelligent and likeable young man. What he desperately needs is a proper job - the very thing his self-pitying father never had.

Just think what a better person Charles would have been if he'd had a productive and fulfilling career, instead of years of idle indulgence with too much time to worry about himself and his tortured love life.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

I had to laugh at this -
Quote:
Soon, doubtless, we'll be told that Wills has earned the admiration of his SAS colleagues by taking part in some daring enterprise - the siege of Boujis, perhaps
Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Royal Highness

I don't get this routine of harping against William for doing the rounds with all the armed services. That is his job right now. At some point in his royal life, he would be appointed honorary Chief of a number of services. Having the experience with these services would only help. While undoubtly the tour has its PR value, but to dismiss his experience altogether is grossly unfair. And I for one don't count his, and Harry's, trips to nightclubs as evidence of being playboys. They both have day-jobs and have steady relationships. We all have time off from works/schools to just hangout with friends. As long as he show up at scheduled events the next day and do their bit, he can go to clubs or not at his whim. Thus far, no paper has been able to claim he missed any engagements due to hang-over yet.

As a side note, what has the author done so worthwhile in her life to get on soapbox to dismiss Prince Charles' charity works as not a "productive and fulfilling career".
Old 08-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Aristocracy

Very true, Incas. I also could not recall when William even went to a nightclub this year. Anyone? The only parties he attended were charity events. Maybe he was also out for a beer with his army pals but he certainly wasn't displaying playboy behaviour or falling out of clubs. Unfortunately some will only too willingly pick up stories like these and repeat it as gospel.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I think the "get a job" part of the article is pretty flimsy -- we've all read this week about his increased royal duties and engagements for next year. He will have a job. He's going to be a full-time working royal. Platell doesn't mention that.

But the military criticisms are pretty standard, I think, and it's tough to argue with some of that.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
I don't get this routine of harping against William for doing the rounds with all the armed services. That is his job right now. At some point in his royal life, he would be appointed honorary Chief of a number of services. Having the experience with these services would only help.
By the time William is Chief of anything, technology will have moved on, so unless he gets refresher years, he won't have any more idea than he does now, which is very little.

I think the main reason for the criticism is as Platell writes - could there be a greater insult to the brave fighting men who genuinely risk their lives in the service of their country?, IMO, No. He has spent a short time doing all the 'easy or fun activities', so for CH and Williams PR machine to suggest this will have given him any idea of the various arms, is ludicrous.
Quote:
As a side note, what has the author done so worthwhile in her life to get on soapbox to dismiss Prince Charles' charity works as not a "productive and fulfilling career".
Worked for the Mail?
------------------------------
Prince William is completing his final day with the Royal Navy following an attachment in the West Indies.
He has been aboard HMS Iron Duke and helped catch drug smugglers in the Caribbean

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/2008080...t-dba1618.html
Old 08-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I think we want them to be all things to all men (and women). Sadly, they will never manage to live up to our expectations.
The Queen came to Musselburgh (next door to Edinburgh) a few weeks ago, and I felt glad that we have a monarch with such extensive experience. I just dread to think what will happen when she is no longer with us.....
Old 08-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Posts not discussing William's current activities have been moved over to the How should Prince William spend the next few years thread.
Posts discussing where William and his future wife may live are now in the Future residences thread.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Aristocracy

More criticism:
I feel it's getting very unfair now. Why should William of all the royals have been the one going to Beijing. The Queen is the head of state it's first and foremost her "job" to represent the country. The second one would be Charles as her representative. William hasn't even started full time royal duties yet. First everyone was eager for politicians and officials to boycot the Olympics in China and suddenly it's almost a crime not to be there?

Wills and Kate take the Picasso | The Sun |News|Columnists|Fergus Shanahan
Old 08-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Well the British royals have never been known to show up at the Olympics en masse, have they? But if I was a Brit I could definitely understand the wish to have at least one other royal there to watch different sports etc, sure The Princess Royal is there but I guess her focus is largely on the equestrian events in Hong Kong (even if she's also awarded medals in other sports recently, something which IOC members do).

Tags
prince william