The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Prince William current events 20: January-May 2008

Welcome to Prince William's current events thread, part 20,
January 2008.

Part 19, covering the period September to December 2007, can be found here.

~

Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Royal Highness

correct me if i'm wrong but as monarch isn't he going to be the ceremonial head of the armed forces? and if this is the case, shouldn't he have some training so that he knows what he's talking about when he talks to armed forces members? as for never seeing action, there are thousands of former armed forces member, all over the world who trained but never saw action...are they a waste of tax payer money as well? one day he will have to address soldiers and they will have far more respect for him for having gone through the training that they did even though he never went to the front line. some day, he will visit injured soldiers and that visit will work wonders for the morale of many of them and then all that training will completely worth every penny it cost to train him.

His visit to the Royal Marsden Hospital may not make him a saint but i'm sure it lifted the spirits of a lot of people. here is one of those times that we criticize him for not doing anything and then when he does something it's not enough. so he didn't rush down there but he went. he may not have gone down there of his own volition but maybe he did...we don't know.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 AM

^ Thank you, Duchess. You took the words out of my mouth.

Heirs to the throne typically spend time training in the armed forces and in modern times it is not a given by any means that they will "see action". Why, I have just read an article about the Prince of Asturias. He trained in all the armed forces of Spain and it seems that he did it in the same way William is doing, with short stints in various parts of the military, and he never saw action. So I don't understand this sudden backlash against William. Why are people singling him out this way? It is nothing new. Why all of a sudden a prince must go to the front lines and be in a war? Prince Felipe never went to Bosnia, and never went to the Persian Gulf during the early 90s conflict. Why does William have to go to Afghanistan or Iraq, or else he is wasting his and everyone's time?

I so agree also about Royal Marsden! When he does something, it's not enough! It is never enough, never ever enough. People are too critical.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but as monarch isn't he going to be the ceremonial head of the armed forces? and if this is the case, shouldn't he have some training so that he knows what he's talking about when he talks to armed forces members? as for never seeing action, there are thousands of former armed forces member, all over the world who trained but never saw action...are they a waste of tax payer money as well? one day he will have to address soldiers and they will have far more respect for him for having gone through the training that they did even though he never went to the front line. some day, he will visit injured soldiers and that visit will work wonders for the morale of many of them and then all that training will completely worth every penny it cost to train him.
Ceremonial being the operative word. He can give out medals in a suit, he doesn't need to waste our money playing at soldiers. It's ridiculous, he'll NEVER see action so how on earth can it be worth money training him to do something he doesn't and will never have to do. Can't he address soldiers in a suit? Can't he visit them in a suit? The Queen's the ceremonial head of the forces and she does it quite well in a floral two piece. Ok she wore a uniform in the early days of her reign but now she doesn't, why does William have to?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Royal Highness

i'm not sure how much interaction you've had with veterans or soldiers but it means far more to them to have a uniform address them than a suit. you say that training him is a waste of money when he won't see any action but we can't say "never" because the past has taught us that these things that "can never happen" with the royals have come back to bite us in the @$$.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Even if all the training only gives him a basic understanding of what troops do, it raises him above the untrained man in the street, who on the whole has no idea what it is like to be yomping with a heavy rucksack across mountains and/or boggy ground. Has no idea of having to keep going when every muscle is crying out for mercy or is discovering muscles most of us, for all our trips to the gym, don't know exist!

Apart from anything else, the forces can instill a sense of personal discipline in a person. It also forges an unseen bond between the men/women who serve, whether in a war zone or running stores. As long as he is seen to complete the same training that any other man or woman is expected to complete, then he has ever right to wear a uniform. IF the military (ordinary ranks and officers) start to complain, then would be the time for the PTB to worry. Apart from a few gripes about his limitations being ignored to allow him the flight training and ultimately his wings, most serving men and women do not seem to have a problem with it.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Most people seem to be looking at this topic in black or white opinion.While I understand that William sould have a good understanding of how the military operates,spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on training that could be uses on another pilot seems like such a waste.William has always wanted to be a helicopter pilot,and he should be able to follow his dreams,but should it be at the expience of the public?
Old 01-05-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalone3 View Post
Most people seem to be looking at this topic in black or white opinion.While I understand that William sould have a good understanding of how the military operates,spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on training that could be uses on another pilot seems like such a waste.William has always wanted to be a helicopter pilot,and he should be able to follow his dreams,but should it be at the expience of the public?
If William has military training, he might be a better-disciplined, better-oriented person and monarch, and would not that be in the public interest?
He must know how to be the best monarch, how to excel in the role, and these experiences can only help him. How can it hurt him to understand how the armed forces work? How can it hurt the public to have a knowledgeable monarch?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:12 PM

If he needs the army to give him discipline then he's a lost cause. If it's strictness he wants then let him join a nunnery and have done with it. The whole things a joke - at our expense.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:17 AM
Royal Highness

a lot of young people have had their lives turned around by joining the military. you shouldn't let the fact that you think william is a waste of oxygen cloud your judgement. you should be open minded and see that this could be the opportunity that turns what you think is a lazy waste of taxpayer money, into someone that could do something positive in the future.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
If he needs the army to give him discipline then he's a lost cause. If it's strictness he wants then let him join a nunnery and have done with it. The whole things a joke - at our expense.
I said self discipline, which is lacking in a lot of people and has nothing to do with strictness or discipline coming from somebody else.

Many young men and women join up for a short stint and come out with a direction of what to do with their lives, which they lacked before. I'm all for bringing conscription back in!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Aristocracy

taxes

Reading through these posts and posts in other threads I keep bumping into comments about how much the Royal Family costs the taxpayers. Maybe the taxpayers have to pull out a few extra pennies or pounds for them but they should take in consideration how much Britain and British people earn from the Royal Family. There is the profit from the Crown estates which exceeds by far the amount of the Civil list. And there is the money that tourist(interested in the monarchy) bring into the country.

I live in a republic and I must say that our President costs us dearly, not only his paycheck, protocol, houses, his bodyguards but the election that takes place once in five years, and there is NO benefit from him. So the money invested in our president is a waste whereas your money spent on the royals is a GOOD INVESTMENT.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 AM

I just think that William is quite far from being a lost cause. A person can always benefit from a little bit more knowledge and discipline. I don't believe education is ever a waste of money, and these military exercises are going to be an education for William. He is expected to be a king someday. He should have a taste of all aspects of the military, government, diplomatic services, etc. because he will be dealing with these things as a monarch, as his grandmother is doing now. He will need to know how to relate to so many people from different areas.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Courtier

He would benefit more by going to graduate school...
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Aristocracy

William has alot of years before he comes to the throne. I don't think it would be a good idea for him to go out and look for a job like his uncle Edward did. That just wouldn't work at all. So I guess to prepare for the life ahead of him it is a good idea to become a part of all the armed services. And going to graduate school is a great idea also. Really, what else is there for him to do? He will take on more charity causes and more royal duties but I think the more experience he has under his belt about all the differnt types of people around the UK the more well rounded, confident and experienced he will be when the time comes for him to be king.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
He would benefit more by going to graduate school...
Do you mean return to university? What would that bring to his future role? He is not going to be head of any university, he is going to be head of the armed services. In the forces you meet and mix with people from so many different walks of life and social classes, which cannot be truly claimed, as yet of the universities.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:02 AM

^ Yes, here I must agree with Skydragon. While I do love academia, being a professional student myself, and would never underestimate the values of pursuing another degree, for William I believe going back to university could be a bad idea. For him, it could be just prolonging or delaying his maturity. He would probably just dive further into the party lifestyle and try to ignore that he is a royal prince for three-four more years. No, it is better that he is doing things now that will help him to become a better man and royal.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Do you mean return to university? What would that bring to his future role? He is not going to be head of any university, he is going to be head of the armed services. In the forces you meet and mix with people from so many different walks of life and social classes, which cannot be truly claimed, as yet of the universities.
It doesn't matter how much he mixes with all different people...because he'll never be just like any other civilian. Royal families aren't much different than celebrities to me, especially a family as high profile as England's...I can understand the image reasons for some decisions. But he isn't exactly inviting any of his new service friends into his inner circle...at least not the under-privileged ones.

If he becomes King it will be his government, right? Why not spend time learning more about it, learn more about foreign relations, policies, etc...travel more...

Afterall his brother seems to be focusing a lot on the armed services...splitting duties could benefit them both, IMO...
Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Courtier

Getting one's wings is an education in itself. I've been through ground school and took a few flying lessons myself. It takes some brain power to read and calculate navagational charts, fuel loads etc. And, other military personnel who approached their training as pilots probably had flying a life long goal as well. Usually, it is the excitement and the enthusiasm of being around aircraft that drives the soul to want to learn to fly. He will definately understand more aspect of soldiering than most. By the time he is done, he will have learned to drive a tank, fly an aircraft and may even learn how to helm a submarine or frigate. I also don't think that it is wrong or crazy for him to seek out a PhD in conservation or another area that he is passionate about, if he wants to. Life is an education. He has the time, money and standing to take advantage of being able to pursue a lifelong education of living.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 PM

^ HRH Kimetha, that was stated as I could not done better myself. Exactly so. I cannot agree more. Experience is experience period. I am glad to see William's advisors mapping out a course of variation for him. It has been said that after his military tour, he will learn about the diplomatic services. By doing these stints in various areas, he will find his passion, whether it is conservation, health services, organic farming, or rehabilitation for troubled youths.... whatever it is. He can only find what he wants to make into his passion by trying different things. His father was already or nearly a 30-year-old man when he founded The Prince's Trust, and was even older when he got into the criticisms of careless architecture, environmentally-destructive farming methods, etc. Prince Charles learned about these things from years of living, reading, experiencing. I don't think anyone would say that Prince Charles's living, reading, and experiencing has been a drain at taxpayer expense.

Tags
prince william