Prince William Current Events 18: January-May 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't personally see a problem with him flying a WW2 bomber. I think this whole thing is being blown out of all proportion. What's done cannot be undone - hopefully they learned from their mistakes but I do think it is time to move on now.
For a start, he didn't fly the Tornado, the same as he didn't fly the Lancaster.

I don't believe it has been blown out of all proportion. He was supposed to be on an intensive 'tailored' short course to give him a taste of one arm of the services, not a free flying course and taxi service for a spoiled over indulged brat!

Now this is the CH PR machine under full steam, the damage is already done for a lot of servicemen, women and ordinary citizens facing the recession.

Tuesday 6th May 2008

Thursday 8th May 2008

Friday 9th May 2008

Ok then, I don't personally see a problem with him flying in a WW2 bomber.:lol: They messed up, they know they messed up and they know the public knows they messed up - hopefully this means they won't do it again.

As for the PR moves from CH, did you really expect anything else - isn't this what the RF have always done? Someone mucks up, nothing like a photo of them with some children to calm the mob :whistling:

The fact that he was doing a week or so with visits to different charities was announced before the last week's "scandals". Then he'll have e few days off before he joins the Navy.

But they weren't joy rides well except the Wedding and Satg party but still I actually do see it as a good opportunity to test his skills. There's nothing that says he even got off during the Highgrove and Sandringhanm stops. He certainly didn't get off in Kate's backyard and the instructors were with him during all the flights, it's not like he went took the plane and went wherever he wanted. Plus he would have used the plane anyways no matter where the destination was so it's not like the taxpayers money wouldn't have been used on this.

But they weren't joy rides well except the Wedding and Satg party but still I actually do see it as a good opportunity to test his skills. There's nothing that says he even got off during the Highgrove and Sandringhanm stops. He certainly didn't get off in Kate's backyard and the instructors were with him during all the flights, it's not like he went took the plane and went wherever he wanted. Plus he would have used the plane anyways no matter where the destination was so it's not like the taxpayers money wouldn't have been used on this.
They were 'joyrides' as the only reason they took those routes was to show off to relatives, girlfriend and family. Had he and his instructor stuck to the normal routes used by trainees, then they would not have been joyrides. You are right on one thing though, taxpayers money would have been wasted wherever he went.:rolleyes:

Granted, I do see the Wedding, Stag and possibly Kate's backyard stops as being classified as joyrides, I dunno if it was intentional on his part to show off , although it probably was, actually I'd probably do the same I know I know bad, I guess he should have taken his training more seriously. I still say the 2 trips he took on the plane did good, I mean he was there to learn right so it was a good opportunity to put those skills to good use. See what he's good at and what he needed to improve on. I know he won't be able to ever use those skills in battle but still. Although I read that no one was at Highgrove and Sandringham when he went, not sure if that's true though.

Last edited:
I think all the sniping at Prince William for learning to fly is very mean-spirited. He is going to be Head of the Armed Forces and therefore he is learning as much about them as he can, from the inside. His father did the same.

If he didn't learn to fly, people would whinge that he was just floating around and playing at being in the airforce. It seems to me that there is always someone who will sound off in a negative way.

Watching him recently when in uniform, I see a very confidence young officer. This is in direct contrast with the shy and awkward young man he used to be. The military can be extremely beneficial to young people, and it can only benefit the country in the future.

The Forces work hard and play hard. They also have a bit of a sense of humour (which you need to cope with the tough times).

What a nice suprise for the British Armed Forces over there!

If he didn't learn to fly, people would whinge that he was just floating around and playing at being in the airforce. It seems to me that there is always someone who will sound off in a negative way.
isn't that just what he did, float around pretending to be an RAF officer. :rolleyes: :bang:
Watching him recently when in uniform, I see a very confidence young officer. This is in direct contrast with the shy and awkward young man he used to be. The military can be extremely beneficial to young people, and it can only benefit the country in the future.
Isn't that what he gained from the Army? How will it benefit the country 'in the future', as someone said, we can't predict what will happen 'in the future'. :cool:
The Forces work hard and play hard. They also have a bit of a sense of humour (which you need to cope with the tough times).
Yes the REAL members of the armed services do, but they also struggle with poor equipment (I wonder if William had a gun that jammed or boots the sole falls off), poor medical attention and a lack of casivacs! :rolleyes:

PR machine in full working order, but I am sure it made William feel better! :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
:cool:Yes the REAL members of the armed services do, but they also struggle with poor equipment (I wonder if William had a gun that jammed or boots the sole falls off), poor medical attention and a lack of casivacs! :rolleyes:

... or shares his place in a barack that is falling apart with some street rats!

Originally Posted by Empress
Another report from CNN:
Prince William makes surprise visit to Afghanistan - CNN.com
PR machine in full working order, but I am sure it made William feel better! :whistling:
What can I say ... Clarence House is trying to get things back on track, doesn't take rocket science to figure out the purpose of this stunt. Yes, Flying Officer Wales has not joined in the RAF for fun, no, he's involved in some serious action hence this surprise visit. I wonder if Harry was on board too, hopping off and joining a party with his former Afghanistan mates ...

PR machine in full working order, but I am sure it made William feel better!

Everything the Royals do is PR. It's their job to do PR for their country. What is William supposed to do now? Hang his head in shame and never leave the palace again because he made one mistake? Isn't it good that he apparently realised he needs to take on more official functions? Some people will never be satisfied.

Everything the Royals do is PR. It's their job to do PR for their country. What is William supposed to do now? Hang his head in shame and never leave the palace again because he made one mistake? Isn't it good that he apparently realised he needs to take on more official functions? Some people will never be satisfied.

ITA. :flowers:

It doesn't really bother me if all the events listed in William's calendar for the next few weeks are as a result of the uproar over the 'joyrides' as long as he makes the people he meets feel as though there is nowhere he would rather be, that they matter to him and that he his delighted to meet them all. If they leave with good positive memories of the day, if he brings positive attention to a worthy cause then it is a 'job well done' to me.

Perhaps if he just kept his head down and got on with the job he is actually paid for, that of a junior officer?

What makes you think that William realised anything, more likely CH realised they had made a complete mess. To many instead of good PR, visiting the sick, homeless etc, he cadged himself another flight jolly!
It doesn't really bother me if all the events listed in William's calendar for the next few weeks are as a result of the uproar over the 'joyrides' as long as he makes the people he meets feel as though there is nowhere he would rather be, that they matter to him and that he his delighted to meet them all. If they leave with good positive memories of the day, if he brings positive attention to a worthy cause then it is a 'job well done' to me.
The personnel are generally ordered to smile and greet 'visitors', so we don't know if anyone in Afghanistan fell for the PR, they will have been aware of the rucus at home and many of them would have been wishing they were only in Afghanistan for a total of 3 hours with the highest security surrounding them!

Last edited:
It is not unusual that members of royal families visit soldiers that are serving abroad. I have never heard that people see that as a waste of money or just a PR thing. Why should prince William's trip be anything but positive?

The personnel are generally ordered to smile and greet 'visitors', so we don't know if anyone in Afghanistan fell for the PR, they will have been aware of the rucus at home and many of them would have been wishing they were only in Afghanistan for a total of 3 hours with the highest security surrounding them!

I completely agree with you, Skydragon. While I think it's okay for a member of the RF to visit the troops in Afghanistan, it shouldn't have been William at this point. For the regular members of the RAF and the other armed forces the media coverage of prince William's stint with the RAF has so far only shown that he is no regular member. But if so, they should have made him a high-ranking Royal Colonel after he finished Sandhurst and then let him do visits to the troops. What they did instead was trying to make it appear as if he was just one of the troop when he wasn't and it was never intended that he should be. For the other soldiers this must be some sort of bad joke played with them.

I think the soldiers in Afganistan probably thought it was as ok to get a visit from another soldier that at least is genuinely interested in what they're doing, as getting a visit from Princess Anne or Gordon Brown.

I think I would be more interested in hearing what the soldiers who actually serve alongside William in person think of him, rather than the constant half-stories and media bent that is all we are given. However, since we are unlikely to hear from them, the public is only given the top shiny layer of the "good" PR and the bottom ugly layer of the "misdeeds" with no knowledge of what really lies in between. So either William's service, whatever form it may be in, is not as bad as it is made out, or he has been raised very poorly by his father, the future king and military officer himself, to hold the crown and service in poor esteem.

I think the soldiers in Afganistan probably thought it was as ok to get a visit from another soldier that at least is genuinely interested in what they're doing, as getting a visit from Princess Anne or Gordon Brown.

That's the question: is he really interested in what they are doing? But it's difficult to say as we have heard that the forums of the RAF and the other military is moderated, so I'm not sure that even there we could hear what the soldiers actually think.

This seems like just another stunt in the wake of recent events.

Oh please this is so clearly a PR stunt, yes its good he went and regonised the hard work of the military personnel out there (those that actually fight and dont just do the 'cool' stuff like flying around for no reason). However anyone who thinks this isnt a PR retalitaiton to te critisim over Chinnokgate is naieve.
This is precicsely what many people predicted the flying around in helicopters fiasco would create - the feeling now that anything William does for the armed forces is purly an attempt to get PR to counter the bad PR created by William and hte MODs bad judgement. No longer wil people feel Willaim is geniuene in his actions anymore.

I think I would be more interested in hearing what the soldiers who actually serve alongside William in person think of him, rather than the constant half-stories and media bent that is all we are given. However, since we are unlikely to hear from them, the public is only given the top shiny layer of the "good" PR and the bottom ugly layer of the "misdeeds" with no knowledge of what really lies in between. So either William's service, whatever form it may be in, is not as bad as it is made out, or he has been raised very poorly by his father, the future king and military officer himself, to hold the crown and service in poor esteem.

What difference would it make? If the trainee pilots that were with William at Cranwell all came out and said that he was a well liked and down to earth bloke who fitted in well and as far as possible, was treated as one of the lads, would they be believed? Or like any other positive slant on William would it be dismissed as 'PR'?

Only those people who have met or worked with him know what he is really like but it doesn't stop plenty of people here exhibiting their speculative personal prejudices.

That's the question: is he really interested in what they are doing? But it's difficult to say as we have heard that the forums of the RAF and the other military is moderated, so I'm not sure that even there we could hear what the soldiers actually think.

What a question?

So,William parked his heli in his in-laws backyard,big deal.All heli pilots in the UK & US & elsewhere do that at one point,provided they have in-laws ofcourse.I really don't get the fuzz,guess,fuzz is fun just because nagging is fun right?So,yes,he was part of a flight to Afghanistan,just as well on his normal schedule too.

And then that insane ;"Good Prince Bad Prince"nonsense,the british really think like their rags don't they?Hype for this a hype for that,an island gone bonkers really!What jolly fun.Someone sniffes the sherry cork et voila,there's another rag like hype.How does dear Lillibeth put up with them remains a mistery to me. :whistling:

Prince William makes secret Afghan trip - CNN.com

Last edited:
What makes you think that William realised anything, more likely CH realised they had made a complete mess. To many instead of good PR, visiting the sick, homeless etc, he cadged himself another flight jolly!

I'm sure you would have dismissed a visit to the sick and homeless just as easily as nothing but a PR stunt. I'm sure a visit to a war zone and a meeting with a grieving family is just every 25-year-old's idea of a jolly good time. :rolleyes: Even if the recent criticism triggered this increase of royal engagments (and I don't think it did since these things are sheduled way ahead of time), isn't that a good sign? He (or his advisers) apparently listened and changed their approach to William's "King training".
Seriously William is not just the average "junior officer". He's the future King and head of the armed forces and he does what most other royals do namely pay respect to the troops with a visit. What else could he do for them but visit the troops abroad and those who are injured in the UK? I'm further sure that would he do whatever it is that other officer do who are not deployed abroad, he'd be criticised for not doing royal duties. When he does what royals do, he's criticised for not being an "ordinary soldier". Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Neither the RAF nor CH ever claimed he'd be an ordinary pilot trainee. It was made clear from the beginning that he participates in a course specifically designed for him which is only natural since he only stays with them for 4 months. Hence the argument that "other trainees don't do this or that" is sort of futile. Other trainees aren't the future King either.

According to the PoW website we'll see plenty of more "PR stunts" by William in the month of May. Starting in January 2009 he'll do "PR stunts" full time just like his father, grandmother and all the other members of the Royal family. :D

All this is a little insane. He made a mistake, they need to let it go. He didn't kill anyone, he didn't rob anyone. He took a ride in a plane. They said what was needed and now he must and the rest of the family need to get on with their work. It's insane how much thought this has been given.

Its so sad when someone from the royal family does something nice its always labeled a PR stunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom