Prince William Current Events 18: January-May 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So much for the fun ride at taxpayers' expense.
1. He was probably the co-pilot not the pilot.
2. William could have completed the training the following week.
3. He should not have received his wings before completing his training to give any credibility to his 'earning' them.
4. Anyone else would have trained over the nearest body of water and city (yes we have more than one), not been flown to London, picked up a brother and then on to a 3 day drinking binge.
5. How incredibly convenient to have to cancel a supposed training element and reschedule it for the stag party :whistling: Do the MOD think we are complete mugs to believe that one?
6. MoD probes 'rat-infested RAF homes' - Yahoo! News UK

Last edited:
This whole story only shows the massive lack of maturity and obvious lack of perception of public opinion of those involved, the princes and the morons who are in charge of the MOD.

Granny even cancels her anniversary party because of a recession but her grandsons don't bother doing such a stunt on taxpayers money and covering it as "part of the training" is only another prove that the public is believed to be totally stupid. Is there anyone left in the younger generation of this family who has at least a little bit of emotional intelligence? If the Princes' behaviour is not much different anymore from any other embarrassing and careless youth on the streets of this country why further pay for their lavish lifestyle? It's about EARNING something (respect, position) before TAKING and the princes should have a closer look at the achievements of their grandparents or Queen Mum if they want the monarchy to survive.

Ok, i've tried to ingnore this story to a degree because i know it will get me mad, but too late.

This was in my opinion a silly thing for the prince to do. I have parents nad siblings in the RAF and have grown up around the RAF, i know that its common for pesonnel to hitch lifts on aircraft and for piliots to fly out to nice locations and go on drinking session etc. But this is a new level

1) William has already cost taxpayers alot of money in his training in both the Army and the RAF. I've always beleived there was no reason for him to have learnt to fly, yes he should have experience inthe RAF, but the RAF is more than just pilots. HE could have chosen anotehr area of the RAF to experience which would have been cheaper adn less insultingto those memebers of the RAF who are not pilots. Prehaps it was felt that William would find flying "cool."

2) I've never heard of pilots using aircraft to fly out to places for pre-planned personal events. Clearly the stag do has pre-planned. if Willaim had flown to the Isle of White nad jsut gone drinking because he was hter then that would not have been so bad at all, but this was pre-planned which should raise questions.

3) Picking up Prince Harry really gives the impression that the helicopter was rather more seen as a "taxi service" than a training exercise.

4) Helicopters such as chinooks are in short supply for troops in Iraq and Afghan, this is clearly out of the hand sof the prince's, but more common sense would have been usefull on their part.

5) Why didn't someone, if not William and harry themselves, suggest that this might not look good?

6) In conclusion, this shows a lack of judgement and senstivity on the parts of the Princes.

7) Do we expect an apology or explanation from the princes or clarence house?

Let me just say before people point it out - i do not beleive for a moment that William and Harry simply requested the chinook to take them, but they and their advisors and people in the MOD should have realised that it was a mistake.

This has, i think, really damaged the opinion many people have of William, which until now has been widely postitive.

I don't know I don't think it has damaged people's opinion on William I know atleast for the people I know here, still think William is lovely, I doubt they've even heard about the story except if they watched Global which is where they ran the story, newspapers haven't picked up on it from what I know. I just think this wasn't properly thought out not just by the princes but by everyone including advisors.

Let me just say before people point it out - i do not beleive for a moment that William and Harry simply requested the chinook to take them, but they and their advisors and people in the MOD should have realised that it was a mistake.

This has, i think, really damaged the opinion many people have of William, which until now has been widely positive.
Whether they requested it or not, and lets face it William only had to mention it to the 'right' people, it was in extremely bad taste and has lowered peoples opinions of William, Harry and the royals in general. IMO Not only the use of the Chinook but the binge drinking, again. :flowers:
I don't know I don't think it has damaged people's opinion on William I know atleast for the people I know here, still think William is lovely,........
I don't think William will have to worry about what the Canadian people think of him, by the time he is King, I would imagine Canada will have become a republic. This might in years to come flavour their decision.

Last edited:
^Ya I know lol I don't mind though I like the fact I constantly hear about the BRF because of that.

I don't think William will have to worry about what the Canadian people think of him, by the time he is King, I would imagine Canada will have become a republic. This might in years to come flavour their decision.

I don't think Canada will be, though I think most, if not all of the rest will have been. Canada will be a monarchy for a long while due to the near-impossibility of amending the Constitution in that regard. All it takes is one province out of ten holding out and it is shot down. I can imagine that some would refuse to go along just to spite the federal government of the day.

Last edited:
Whether they requested it or not, and lets face it William only had to mention it to the 'right' people, it was in extremely bad taste and has lowered peoples opinions of William, Harry and the royals in general. IMO Not only the use of the Chinook but the binge drinking, again. :flowers:

Yes, that was really unfortunate. Couldn't they have celebrated the Stag party some place less in the public eye, like asking Granny for Balmoral and go to a pub there in the countryside? Now Peter Philips, a member of the BRF who has so far not been exposed for his drinking and clubbing in the public appears to be just like "them all". A pity.

And on thinking about the risk to the succession that Al Bina introduced here about William and Harry using the same helicopter I am convinced Skydragon is right: if William flew at all he was co-piloting the copter. They wouldn't have risked Harry's life. IMHO.

lol Odd jo You said Harrys life no mention of William jk :p (Seriously William needs to be more Responsible, I Dont know)

lol Odd jo You said Harrys life no mention of William jk :p (Seriously William needs to be more Responsible, I Dont know)

Yes, but then William is the pilot - so once they decided to allow him to learn how to fly, his life was at risk anyway. While Harry was just the passenger of a very inexperienced pilot, if they let William fly on this trip... That's different, IMHO.

BBC NEWS | UK | William Chinook landing defended

Defence officials have justified giving Prince William permission to land a helicopter in a field belonging to his girlfriend Kate Middleton's family.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) issued a statement after the News of the World reported William touched down at the Middletons' Berkshire home on 3 April.

Which would really, really be too bad IMHO. I don't like the sound of "The Republic of Canada." I don't like it at all. :cry:

by the time he is King, I would imagine Canada will have become a republic. This might in years to come flavour their decision.

? Now Peter Philips, a member of the BRF who has so far not been exposed for his drinking and clubbing in the public appears to be just like "them all". A pity.

And on thinking about the risk to the succession that Al Bina introduced here about William and Harry using the same helicopter I am convinced Skydragon is right: if William flew at all he was co-piloting the copter. They wouldn't have risked Harry's life. IMHO.

Peter Philips leads a lower key life but he's pretty typical of his generation. In the past the papers have had stories of his 'boozy' holidays in Ibiza with friends and his gap year stay in Australia was quite typical of many young Brits, his sister Zara as well. Peter spent a number of years on the Grand Prix circuit so he's managed to escape the British media for the most part.

The RAF statement did say that once William had flown and landed on the Isle of Wight the co-pilot flew it back to its base in Hampshire (?) So it wasn't just William flying the helicopter. William and Harry often travel together, there's no prohibition on them travelling together. It's Charles and William who aren't supposed to fly together ( although there have been exceptions in the past)

William and Harry often travel together, there's no prohibition on them travelling together. It's Charles and William who aren't supposed to fly together ( although there have been exceptions in the past)

My problem is not with them travelling together but travelling together in a copter that was flown by an inexperienced pilot. :flowers:

I think it is much to do about nothing. He had to do take off and landing practices anyway so why not do it at his girfriend's home . It is actually very romantic that he wanted to show off for her.

Lesser mortals have been known to get certain practice run flight patterns approved for clearance..and by coincidence they have often been to impress a mother, grandmother or a special girlfriend of someone who has worked hard to get their wings. It's not like he's using a helicopter to go play a round of golf within a very reasonable driving distance like a particular close relative does on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I think it is much to do about nothing. He had to do take off and landing practices anyway so why not do it at his girfriend's home . It is actually very romantic that he wanted to show off for her.

And what would be wrong with him practicing taking off and landing at the base? Considering he only landed for 20 seconds, how much practice could he have really gotten in?

A romantic thing to do? Landingcosts a lot of money as it uses alot of fuel. I'm all for romatic gestures, but not if i, as a taxpayer am paying for them.
This whole situation is out of control, William should apologise. Yes he may not be doing what other pilots have done, but he is no ordinary pilot, for starters they can actually be deployed to operational theares, such as Iraq and Afghanistan. They will serve the country for years to come and in sometimes very difficult and life threatening situations. They should be allowed osme fun from time to time., But William will not serve overseas, he will not serve in a war zone. The whole idea of him being in the armed services and not ever serving was already possibly a bad idea, but that was before he was using helicopters as taxis and romantic gestures. Clearly William has no sense of what the public expect of him. Yes he may not have done anything wrong, but he should have better judgement. I can't help but notice that Clarence house has not made a comment on their website, don;t they realise how bad this is. I think an apology would end this now.

He can take off and land at the base or his girlfriend's backyard, it shows he can take off and land at different places. Good for him.

A romantic thing to do? Landingcosts a lot of money as it uses alot of fuel. I'm all for romatic gestures, but not if i, as a taxpayer am paying for them.
now.

The tax payers would having still pay even if it was not in his girlfriend's backyard. It was approved by his military superiors , it was part of his traning. The RAF superiors might owe the public an apology for allowing this to happen but certainly not William .

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, I don't get all the hoopla about his training flights. He has to fly and land somewhere. He didn't visit Kate since he didn't even get off the helicopter. What difference does it make whether he flies to Berkshire or anywhere else really? He did not land in their "frontyard" but on a field that just happens to belong to the Middletons. Who knows how far this actually was away from their home? And the article didn't even tell whether Kate and/or her family were even there to witness his landing. So how can anybody say he only took the flight to impress her (as if he needs to :rolleyes:).
To me it looks like the papers just try to jump on the band wagon and unfortunately this time it's William who got on the raw end of things, I could to a certain degree understand the criticism about the stag party flight but to complain about this flight to Berkshire is just ridiculous, IMO.
He is trained to learn to fly smaller aircrafts and helicopters and I do not see how it matters where he flies to or where he lands. Even if he just flew in circles over the base, his training would have cost just as much and used just as much fuel etc. Whether one considers this training useful and/or necessary is a whole other story but has nothing to do with those recent articles.
And this helicopter would surely never have been dipatched to Afghanistan or Iraq anyways even if William hadn't flown it. Other trainees would have used it or it would simply have been out of service thatday. If the military lacks equipment, the people need to complain to the MoD and those responsible in the government but not be all over William who is certainly the least responsible.

And what would be wrong with him practicing taking off and landing at the base? Considering he only landed for 20 seconds, how much practice could he have really gotten in?

How much practice does it take to sit on the ground? It's the landing and taking off that's the hard part!

Seriously, I don't get all the hoopla about his training flights. He has to fly and land somewhere. He didn't visit Kate since he didn't even get off the helicopter. What difference does it make whether he flies to Berkshire or anywhere else really? He did not land in their "frontyard" but on a field that just happens to belong to the Middletons. Who knows how far this actually was away from their home? And the article didn't even tell whether Kate and/or her family were even there to witness his landing. So how can anybody say he only took the flight to impress her (as if he needs to :rolleyes:).
To me it looks like the papers just try to jump on the band wagon and unfortunately this time it's William who got on the raw end of things, I could to a certain degree understand the criticism about the stag party flight but to complain about this flight to Berkshire is just ridiculous, IMO.
He is trained to learn to fly smaller aircrafts and helicopters and I do not see how it matters where he flies to or where he lands. Even if he just flew in circles over the base, his training would have cost just as much and used just as much fuel etc. Whether one considers this training useful and/or necessary is a whole other story but has nothing to do with those recent articles.
And this helicopter would surely never have been dipatched to Afghanistan or Iraq anyways even if William hadn't flown it. Other trainees would have used it or it would simply have been out of service thatday. If the military lacks equipment, the people need to complain to the MoD and those responsible in the government but not be all over William who is certainly the least responsible.

Well said Isana. At last someone with a bit of perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trader and Isana I agree with both of you . This is really much to do about nothing.

Are the press trying to change William's reputation as the "people's prince". i'm sure he would be a great one if they let him be.

He doesn't have to land or fly anywhere because he doesn't have to be in the RAF for show, he could have joined the RAF and not learnt to fly, my dad and sister are in the RAF and both do not fly, but it seems William is jsut intrested in the "cool" part of the RAf which is flying, he dosen't seem intrested in learning about the back work that is put in by many many otehr trades in the RAF.
I agree with you int he fact that if he is training, which i'm not massively against, he had to land somewhere, what i worrry about the most is the judgement, or lack off, that William, and yes Clarence House officials and William's superiors have shown, they should have know landing in William's girlfriends backgarden would have LOOKED bad, flying over Birkhall would have LOOKED bad, flying to the Isle of White would have LOOKED bad. He didn't do anything wrong, but he didn't do naything right either.

i've always admired William, i think he has grown up under impossible circumstances, and has shown real maturity and sense, but these revelations do not look good, and the fact he obvoisuly felt it was acceptable showed he does not seem to, in this instance, have realsied the huge public scrutiny that people righlty have into his life,when he i sspendign TAXPAYERS money, with no intention to serve in the Armed Forces.

If he was going to go off to fly helicopters and risk his life in te armed forces, seving in conflcit zones, as his uncle, Prrince Andrew, did then he could land a helicopter in the middle of Hawaii and take a 2 month holiday, but he is not. That is wherei have a problem with this. He's been through Army training, learning to fly a aircraft and now a heclipoter and soon will be on baord a navy ship, simply so he can say when he is King " i was in the military" which to those who have or know people who have been in armed conflit is to a degree insulting.

If he apoliges, simply saying - "Yeah, i had fun and messed around a bit in my training which everyone does but i realsie people might have expected better of me" then most people would be pleased, and i'd be one of them.

Its the fact that in years to come he'll use this as justification or saying "i was in the military" that gripes me.

Sorry to those that don't agree but thats my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom