The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William has been describing the excitement of his first solo flight, ahead of another lesson at RAF Cranwell in Lincolnshire

BBC NEWS | UK | Prince thrilled to be flying solo

Prince William flies solo - Mirror.co.uk

Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Nobility

Is this really quick for the first solo flight in the short course?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

It is a little below average for someone receiving intensive flight training but as the RAF doesn't normally just teach flying to it's officers, as an RAF trainee pilot, it would be impossible to judge. The 'normal' course last about 6 months, but does incorporate many other aspects required of it's flight officers. William is being fast tracked and is only learning the basics to do with flying.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Courtier

Britain's Prince William tells of first flight nerves - Yahoo! News
Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Courtier

I was kind of surprised to find out that Angelina Jolie has both her American and British flying certifications...well she has private pilot license but I am surprised how fast William was able to solo. I guess it is different when you get your private pilot's license because she talked about it being longer to solo.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:41 PM

^ Obviously I could be wrong, but it occurs to me that William is in such an intense course structure, maybe training for several hours daily. I believe someone like Jolie going for a private pilot license can structure their training hours to meet her hectic schedule, perhaps with a few hours in a weekend per month or something like that, which must spread out the process over a longer period.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William strikes me as someone who is very brave and strong. I certainly would not have the courage to pilot an aircraft. A story appeared on my local news (Chicago) about William's flight. The newscaster also reported that William plans to serve in all three branches of the British military just like his father. His dedication to his country is outstanding.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Courtier

more pics..

Yahoo! News Search Results for prince william

Abaca Press Americas Search Results
Old 01-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Nobility

How has the weather other there? Would they have able prectice(sp) everyday?
Old 01-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
^ Obviously I could be wrong, but it occurs to me that William is in such an intense course structure, maybe training for several hours daily. I believe someone like Jolie going for a private pilot license can structure their training hours to meet her hectic schedule, perhaps with a few hours in a weekend per month or something like that, which must spread out the process over a longer period.
That makes sense...it was probably less intensive for her. I hear getting the American certification doesn't take that long...but the British one is hard.

I love your avi...
Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Nobility

Military pilots usually take less time

Their training is their full-time job. When you fly several hours a day, you don't need to cover the same ground over and over. Someone who learns on a more sporadic schedule needs to constantly review/refresh.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Aristocracy

I'd love to learn to fly,and I hope to do so when I'm old enough.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Gentry

hey i have a question, i case of a war he must go or he can took the desicion if he want go?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:56 AM

^ Well, I think Matt Lauer put it in the most benign but straightforward way: If the third in line to the throne isn't allowed to deploy into a war zone, it's pretty much a safe bet the second in line won't be allowed to do so!
Old 01-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
^ Well, I think Matt Lauer put it in the most benign but straightforward way: If the third in line to the throne isn't allowed to deploy into a war zone, it's pretty much a safe bet the second in line won't be allowed to do so!
Speaking of that Matt Lauer interview...I have still never seen the whole thing...

I tried watching it on the msnbc website and they wouldn't play it...is there anywhere it's available? It's cut up on youtube...
Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 AM
Heir Apparent

^I found it on veoh's website google it try typing in veoh tv prince william and prince harry matt lauer interview (or something like that should come up if not let me know I'll send you the link. I also really want to see the BBC interview they did that same week with that lady I can't remember her name. It's on youtube but the link cites it as unavailable even though its on BBC's profile on youtube. Anyways they showed Prince William on tv last night short quick little interview with some clips of him flying he looked SO happy! I haven't seen him that happy and excited in so long! It really made my day.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
^I found it on veoh's website google it try typing in veoh tv prince william and prince harry matt lauer interview (or something like that should come up if not let me know I'll send you the link. I also really want to see the BBC interview they did that same week with that lady I can't remember her name. It's on youtube but the link cites it as unavailable even though its on BBC's profile on youtube. Anyways they showed Prince William on tv last night short quick little interview with some clips of him flying he looked SO happy! I haven't seen him that happy and excited in so long! It really made my day.
Oh thank you I found it that way!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Speaking of that Matt Lauer interview...I have still never seen the whole thing...

I tried watching it on the msnbc website and they wouldn't play it...is there anywhere it's available? It's cut up on youtube...
Zembla, it is also available on iTunes, and very nice price. I can't remember exactly the price, as I bought it months ago when it was actually on the news.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
He will continue to get promotions, whether he is 'in' or not, just as his father and grandfather have.
Would he still be considered active and if so, would he continue to get paid his military pay? I don't think I feel comfortable in wearing the insignias of promotions when I didn't put in the time actively like my peers. Just me I guess. Andrew sure be proud of serving the 20 years. Did Charles put in 20 years? He sure did have the time to do so, if he didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon

It is a little below average for someone receiving intensive flight training but as the RAF doesn't normally just teach flying to it's officers, as an RAF trainee pilot, it would be impossible to judge. The 'normal' course last about 6 months, but does incorporate many other aspects required of it's flight officers. William is being fast tracked and is only learning the basics to do with flying.
I would assume they also practice in a simulator, so that the instructor can measure whether or not the pilot trainee is ready to take-off and land.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha View Post
Would he still be considered active and if so, would he continue to get paid his military pay? I don't think I feel comfortable in wearing the insignias of promotions when I didn't put in the time actively like my peers. Just me I guess. Andrew sure be proud of serving the 20 years. Did Charles put in 20 years? He sure did have the time to do so, if he didn't.
They are not considered to be on active service after they have left and do not receive any pay. Andrew continued to serve in the Navy, that was not without controversy, especially as he received a massive salary increase, I don't think they would make the same mistake with William, (mind you this is the MOD we are talking about).
Quote:
I would assume they also practice in a simulator, so that the instructor can measure whether or not the pilot trainee is ready to take-off and land.
The simulators tend to be used for jet training, after you have learned the basics.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william