The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
I think I would be more interested in hearing what the soldiers who actually serve alongside William in person think of him, rather than the constant half-stories and media bent that is all we are given. However, since we are unlikely to hear from them, the public is only given the top shiny layer of the "good" PR and the bottom ugly layer of the "misdeeds" with no knowledge of what really lies in between. So either William's service, whatever form it may be in, is not as bad as it is made out, or he has been raised very poorly by his father, the future king and military officer himself, to hold the crown and service in poor esteem.
What difference would it make? If the trainee pilots that were with William at Cranwell all came out and said that he was a well liked and down to earth bloke who fitted in well and as far as possible, was treated as one of the lads, would they be believed? Or like any other positive slant on William would it be dismissed as 'PR'?

Only those people who have met or worked with him know what he is really like but it doesn't stop plenty of people here exhibiting their speculative personal prejudices.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Majesty

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
That's the question: is he really interested in what they are doing? But it's difficult to say as we have heard that the forums of the RAF and the other military is moderated, so I'm not sure that even there we could hear what the soldiers actually think.
What a question?

So,William parked his heli in his in-laws backyard,big deal.All heli pilots in the UK & US & elsewhere do that at one point,provided they have in-laws ofcourse.I really don't get the fuzz,guess,fuzz is fun just because nagging is fun right?So,yes,he was part of a flight to Afghanistan,just as well on his normal schedule too.

And then that insane ;"Good Prince Bad Prince"nonsense,the british really think like their rags don't they?Hype for this a hype for that,an island gone bonkers really!What jolly fun.Someone sniffes the sherry cork et voila,there's another rag like hype.How does dear Lillibeth put up with them remains a mistery to me.

Prince William makes secret Afghan trip - CNN.com

Old 04-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
What makes you think that William realised anything, more likely CH realised they had made a complete mess. To many instead of good PR, visiting the sick, homeless etc, he cadged himself another flight jolly!
I'm sure you would have dismissed a visit to the sick and homeless just as easily as nothing but a PR stunt. I'm sure a visit to a war zone and a meeting with a grieving family is just every 25-year-old's idea of a jolly good time. Even if the recent criticism triggered this increase of royal engagments (and I don't think it did since these things are sheduled way ahead of time), isn't that a good sign? He (or his advisers) apparently listened and changed their approach to William's "King training".
Seriously William is not just the average "junior officer". He's the future King and head of the armed forces and he does what most other royals do namely pay respect to the troops with a visit. What else could he do for them but visit the troops abroad and those who are injured in the UK? I'm further sure that would he do whatever it is that other officer do who are not deployed abroad, he'd be criticised for not doing royal duties. When he does what royals do, he's criticised for not being an "ordinary soldier". Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Neither the RAF nor CH ever claimed he'd be an ordinary pilot trainee. It was made clear from the beginning that he participates in a course specifically designed for him which is only natural since he only stays with them for 4 months. Hence the argument that "other trainees don't do this or that" is sort of futile. Other trainees aren't the future King either.

According to the PoW website we'll see plenty of more "PR stunts" by William in the month of May. Starting in January 2009 he'll do "PR stunts" full time just like his father, grandmother and all the other members of the Royal family.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Aristocracy

All this is a little insane. He made a mistake, they need to let it go. He didn't kill anyone, he didn't rob anyone. He took a ride in a plane. They said what was needed and now he must and the rest of the family need to get on with their work. It's insane how much thought this has been given.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

Its so sad when someone from the royal family does something nice its always labeled a PR stunt.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

If he was well respected, rather than liked, I'm sure we would have heard and there is a difference between the two.
Quote:
What difference would it make? If the trainee pilots that were with William at Cranwell all came out and said that he was a well liked and down to earth bloke who fitted in well and as far as possible, was treated as one of the lads, would they be believed? Or like any other positive slant on William would it be dismissed as 'PR'? Only those people who have met or worked with him know what he is really like but it doesn't stop plenty of people here exhibiting their speculative personal prejudices.
Isn't that what you are doing about William and other posters on here, speculating and assuming? AITMOAFU's.

No airman/woman is going to come out and tell us all how they think he is taking advantage, that would mean an instant stop to any hopes of promotion and all the 'punishments' they could then be subjected to.

Perhaps if the PR team working for William and the RAF, didn't keep making excuses, it would be forgotten earlier, but when they keep trying to make it all seem 'normal', they are on a losing wicket. Even the trip to Afghanistan was a jolly, he got to sit at the controls of the Transporter and then they even managed to arrange the return of a body so he could meet the parents, shameful PR.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Nobility

What other avenue is open to us as we don't have a direct line to Clarence House or Buckingham Palace?

Cat
Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
I'm sure you would have dismissed a visit to the sick and homeless just as easily as nothing but a PR stunt. I'm sure a visit to a war zone and a meeting with a grieving family is just every 25-year-old's idea of a jolly good time. ..... It was made clear from the beginning that he participates in a course specifically designed for him which is only natural since he only stays with them for 4 months. Hence the argument that "other trainees don't do this or that" is sort of futile. Other trainees aren't the future King either.
What wasn't made clear was that he would be able to use a helicopter to fly to a wedding, a stag do, visit the girlfriends parents. He wanted to learn to fly... great but to use RAF equipment for joyrides is beyond the pale for a lot of people (not it would appear some in the MOD). Yes he may be the head of the armed services in years to come, so as he will never be allowed to 'go to war', make him a trainee with the MOD or at the least a desk jockey.
Quote:
According to the PoW website we'll see plenty of more "PR stunts" by William in the month of May. Starting in January 2009 he'll do "PR stunts" full time just like his father, grandmother and all the other members of the Royal family.
Many hastily arranged I am sure! As no decision has apparently been reached on Williams future employment, how can you state that from January 09 he will be doing anything full time?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principessa Cano View Post
And what would be wrong with him practicing taking off and landing at the base? Considering he only landed for 20 seconds, how much practice could he have really gotten in?

There aren't always air bases conveniently located for landing. I see no problem with getting practice in at other places you might have to land in, such as open fields or even someone's backyard. Heaven knows I've seen it happen enough. I've seen a helicopter have to land in a school field with a schoolyard full of children nearby in order to get to a nearby shopping mall where someone had fractured their skull and was seizuring uncontrollably- I've also seen a helicopter have to land in a stable where my friend had been thrown from a horse (near a stable of horses who probably had never seen a helicopter in their lives and were seriously freaking out,) and they believed she may have broken her back. (She's ok now.)

Life doesn't give you a head's up when problems are going to hit.

In practice, everything is ideal. In reality, the situation may be far from ideal and only landing at air force bases where the environment is controlled (and all the people coming on and off them are military or connected to the military,) in terms of TRAINING is a really bad idea in my opinion. There are too many variables and the time to confront new problems that you don't know how to handle is when you are training and have someone more experienced available who may have already gone through that problem to handle it.

So what if it was his girlfriend's backyard? I live near a police academy- I also live near a small airport where helicopters and small engine planes take off and land. Do you have any IDEA how frustrating it is when you are trying to find a parking spot on campus, and parking is tight- and you arrive at school to find an ENTIRE parking lot has been blocked off because they are practicing landing?

It happened to me more than once. I have no problems with PW landing in his girlfriend's yard as he probably had permission from both his instructor and the Middleton's. Gives him the experience he needs-check. Nobody got hurt- check.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I still say regardless of the fact they weren't normal trips they still helped in his training. He learned how to fly different planes over the course of 4 months in different areas, circumstances. And he wasn't alone on any of those "joyrides" It was made clear that his training was adjusted to fit his schedule. so..ya. Anyways I thought the trip to Afghanistan was nice I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I have the same feeling about that kind of criticism. We don't know how far these public visits are planned in advance, and so people shouldn't assume that they're thought up at the last moment for publicity reasons. The only people who really know are the courtiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
Its so sad when someone from the royal family does something nice its always labeled a PR stunt.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Heir Apparent

From the Scotsman: Prince's visit to troops in Afghanistan dismissed as PR exercise - The Scotsman

Prince's visit to troops in Afghanistan dismissed as PR exercise

Published Date:
01 May 2008
By Craig Brown
IT WAS hailed as the conclusion to his training with the RAF, but British troops yesterday criticised Prince William's secret flying visit to Afghanistan as nothing more than an expensive public-relations exercise.

Soldiers, along with commentators and anti-war campaigners, suggested the trip was being used to generate good press coverage in the wake of controversy over his piloting military helicopters to visit his girlfriend, Kate Middleton. "

So it seems to be a fact what Skydragon stated, that the troops are not impressed with what they see as PR stunts of the MoD.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William showed his support for wounded British soldiers by attending a fundraising dinner in aid of health charities.

Prince William Wears Help The Heroes Wrist Band At Dinner |Sky News|UK News
Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Time for a new thread.

William's current events part 21 can be found here

Tags
prince william