The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Aristocracy

Nobody ever claimed he got regular training. Pilot training usually lasts 4 years, William had 4 months. It was made clear from the beginning that his flying course was especially arranged for him since he only had 4 months with the RAF. At his ceremony one of the other trainees said he took flights about 3 times a day when others would only have one. I also don't think that training flights are ususally taken over the base. What point does it make to fly in circles over the RAf base?
I assume they have some regular flying routes but those were obviously "adapted" for William. As I said that was definitely wrong with the stag party flight and wedding thing but not with the other flights. So even if no trainee ever flew over a royal residence before (how could anyone know?), what's the problem if William was the first? What harm was done by him flying over Highgrove or Sandringham? Who can tell whether other trainees might not fly over their parent's or relatives' houses as well? Certainly such incident would never make it into any paper and rightly so since the route the trainee takes shouldn't really matter. This article clearly states these kind of things have been goin on forever:
Quote:
One senior RAF officer told the Mail of Group Captain Turner's frustration that the "freebie" trips were eclipsing William's achievements.
He said: "Frankly this sort of thing has always gone on - dropping a mate off somewhere en route, or flying over someone's house to give them a wave.
"If you're training for war you've got to learn to navigate a helicopter...and you can incorporate this sort of thing without it costing the taxpayer a penny more.
"It doesn't break any rules and it's good for morale.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23479891-details/William+and+his+superiors+will+NOT+be+punished+over+prince's+'pleasure+trips'+in+RAF+helicopter/article.do
And the Kate thing I don't really get either. What exactly is the problem with this? That it was the Middleton's field? So if it had been anyone else's field and the Middleton's would have watched him train, that would have been ok? Or is it the fact that the Middleton's were present that bothers people? So would the training session have been ok if they were not there and he still practised on their land?
I'm not denying that William was treated differently from other trainees but then he was never a "regular" pilot trainee in the first place. It was certainly a mistake from a PR point of view to even try to pretend he'd be treated like anyone else when he clearly was never one of the RAF pilot trainees. Still I think the uproar about this is rather exagerated. I do not see the damage done with those three flights. The stag party and wedding "taxi ride" are of course a whole other story.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Serene Highness

This whole thing has just been blown completely out of proportion. The most William is guilty of is a naive lapse in judgment. He was not the first to fly a training exercise with personal preferences, nor is he likely to be the last (we just won't hear about it with a Flying Officer John Smith). If the RAF can have arrangements with other private field owners, why not the Middletons? Is their field less worthy of the exercise? William and his superiors surely misjudged the citizens furor over the events, but this is just becoming a witchhunt.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 PM

It all reminded me of a funny story about a flying stunt of Prince Charles in 1971, also just after he got his wings, told by Holden. A press pack traveled in a plane with Charles at the helm, to an official engagement, I forgot what, and Charles was supposed to do a clean landing, but he decided to have some fun instead. So he did a touch and go, and circled the shocked spectators, and then he did it two more times before landing.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Wills takes a 450mph Tornado ride (...too fast for any controversial stops!) | the Daily Mail
Old 04-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
It all reminded me of a funny story about a flying stunt of Prince Charles in 1971, also just after he got his wings, told by Holden. A press pack traveled in a plane with Charles at the helm, to an official engagement, I forgot what, and Charles was supposed to do a clean landing, but he decided to have some fun instead. So he did a touch and go, and circled the shocked spectators, and then he did it two more times before landing.
Do you by any chance have a link?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Courtier

Prince William | Tornado jet dogfight | Better clear the mall, i said I'd visit Gran | The Sun |HomePage|News|Campaigns|Our Boys
Old 04-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Nobility

Ok, know i understnad the concept of him using aircraft to train in, but this is a joke now
What a bomber: Prince William goes back to basics at the controls of a historic Word War II aircraft | the Daily Mail

Why does he need to fly an WW2 bomber? How will they justify this? I think this is the final straw now, its just becoming a joke and it seems that William is either oblivious or worse uncaring about the talk over flights such as this.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Courtier

What is there to justify? How is him flying this causing anyone any harm - I understand why people are upset about him taking joy-rides in aircraft that there is a great shortage of where they are really needed but it is not as though they can send a WW2 bomber to Afghanistan!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
What is there to justify? How is him flying this causing anyone any harm - I understand why people are upset about him taking joy-rides in aircraft that there is a great shortage of where they are really needed but it is not as though they can send a WW2 bomber to Afghanistan!
Because some people feel that at a time when money i toght for many people in the UK, taxpapyers money shouldnt be spent on wasteful things, such as flying around a prince in a WW2 plane. It serves no purpose so why should WE pay of it. If Will's dips into his mulitmillion pound finances to pay for it then he can of course do what he wants.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Lets see....

Apart from the joyrides which is bad enough, why is he getting further time off from his shortened course to go on another jolly during time he is being paid for? Did he contribute towards the cost of the fuel for this joyride?

It really is not a good idea to be shown as insensitive to the servicemen and women who lay their lives on the line everyday, no time here for little trips in helicopters to show off to nearest and dearest. They don't even have the full or correct equipment, they have substandard housing, substandard medical care, substandard transport and substandard weapons - all we are told, due to a lack of money!

Incredible waste considering it is highly unlikely he will ever see active service!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Courtier

Well I don't personally see a problem with him flying a WW2 bomber. I think this whole thing is being blown out of all proportion. What's done cannot be undone - hopefully they learned from their mistakes but I do think it is time to move on now.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well I don't personally see a problem with him flying a WW2 bomber. I think this whole thing is being blown out of all proportion. What's done cannot be undone - hopefully they learned from their mistakes but I do think it is time to move on now.
For a start, he didn't fly the Tornado, the same as he didn't fly the Lancaster.

I don't believe it has been blown out of all proportion. He was supposed to be on an intensive 'tailored' short course to give him a taste of one arm of the services, not a free flying course and taxi service for a spoiled over indulged brat!

Now this is the CH PR machine under full steam, the damage is already done for a lot of servicemen, women and ordinary citizens facing the recession.

Tuesday 6th May 2008

Thursday 8th May 2008

Friday 9th May 2008
Old 04-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Courtier

Ok then, I don't personally see a problem with him flying in a WW2 bomber. They messed up, they know they messed up and they know the public knows they messed up - hopefully this means they won't do it again.

As for the PR moves from CH, did you really expect anything else - isn't this what the RF have always done? Someone mucks up, nothing like a photo of them with some children to calm the mob
Old 04-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Commoner

The fact that he was doing a week or so with visits to different charities was announced before the last week's "scandals". Then he'll have e few days off before he joins the Navy.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

But they weren't joy rides well except the Wedding and Satg party but still I actually do see it as a good opportunity to test his skills. There's nothing that says he even got off during the Highgrove and Sandringhanm stops. He certainly didn't get off in Kate's backyard and the instructors were with him during all the flights, it's not like he went took the plane and went wherever he wanted. Plus he would have used the plane anyways no matter where the destination was so it's not like the taxpayers money wouldn't have been used on this.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
But they weren't joy rides well except the Wedding and Satg party but still I actually do see it as a good opportunity to test his skills. There's nothing that says he even got off during the Highgrove and Sandringhanm stops. He certainly didn't get off in Kate's backyard and the instructors were with him during all the flights, it's not like he went took the plane and went wherever he wanted. Plus he would have used the plane anyways no matter where the destination was so it's not like the taxpayers money wouldn't have been used on this.
They were 'joyrides' as the only reason they took those routes was to show off to relatives, girlfriend and family. Had he and his instructor stuck to the normal routes used by trainees, then they would not have been joyrides. You are right on one thing though, taxpayers money would have been wasted wherever he went.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Granted, I do see the Wedding, Stag and possibly Kate's backyard stops as being classified as joyrides, I dunno if it was intentional on his part to show off , although it probably was, actually I'd probably do the same I know I know bad, I guess he should have taken his training more seriously. I still say the 2 trips he took on the plane did good, I mean he was there to learn right so it was a good opportunity to put those skills to good use. See what he's good at and what he needed to improve on. I know he won't be able to ever use those skills in battle but still. Although I read that no one was at Highgrove and Sandringham when he went, not sure if that's true though.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Prince William has other appointment on May 1st and 7th. busy week lots of pics

The Prince of Wales - Thursday 1st May 2008
Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Courtier

Prince William visits troops in Afghanistan...

Prince William Visits Troops In Afghanistan |Sky News|UK News

Prince William | Desperate to see war | While Harry was in Afghanistan | The Sun |HomePage|News|Royals
Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Im proud he did this

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william