The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Courtier

Oh dear, things seem to be going from bad to worse for William and the MOD

Some more links on the latest scandal:

BBC NEWS | UK | William Chinook landing defended

Flak flies as prince drops in on Kate's home - Times Online

Prince William sparks new fury as he drops in to impress lover Kate Middleton | News | News of the World

Old 04-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Royal Highness

Is there nobody to stop this stupid boy?

Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Courtier

According to the BBC article nobody got on or off.

BBC NEWS | UK | William Chinook landing defended
Quote:
The Chinook landed for 20 seconds, but no-one got on or off, the MoD said.
This makes it appear like he flew to the house to show Kate and her parents what he had learned so far -sort of a "look what I can do" adventure.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Royal Highness

Prince William criticised for second RAF helicopter jaunt
April 20

William performed his unofficial royal fly-past a week ago last Wednesday as Charles and Camilla celebrated their three years together at Birkhall House on the Queen’s Balmoral estate.

Sunday Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: UK News :: Prince William criticised for second RAF helicopter jaunt
Prince Charles in a speech, 6th December 2006
Old 04-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Commoner

I think it is much to do about nothing. He had to do take off and landing practices anyway so why not do it at his girfriend's home . It is actually very romantic that he wanted to show off for her.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Nobility

Lesser mortals have been known to get certain practice run flight patterns approved for clearance..and by coincidence they have often been to impress a mother, grandmother or a special girlfriend of someone who has worked hard to get their wings. It's not like he's using a helicopter to go play a round of golf within a very reasonable driving distance like a particular close relative does on a regular basis.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette2002 View Post
I think it is much to do about nothing. He had to do take off and landing practices anyway so why not do it at his girfriend's home . It is actually very romantic that he wanted to show off for her.
And what would be wrong with him practicing taking off and landing at the base? Considering he only landed for 20 seconds, how much practice could he have really gotten in?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Nobility

A romantic thing to do? Landingcosts a lot of money as it uses alot of fuel. I'm all for romatic gestures, but not if i, as a taxpayer am paying for them.
This whole situation is out of control, William should apologise. Yes he may not be doing what other pilots have done, but he is no ordinary pilot, for starters they can actually be deployed to operational theares, such as Iraq and Afghanistan. They will serve the country for years to come and in sometimes very difficult and life threatening situations. They should be allowed osme fun from time to time., But William will not serve overseas, he will not serve in a war zone. The whole idea of him being in the armed services and not ever serving was already possibly a bad idea, but that was before he was using helicopters as taxis and romantic gestures. Clearly William has no sense of what the public expect of him. Yes he may not have done anything wrong, but he should have better judgement. I can't help but notice that Clarence house has not made a comment on their website, don;t they realise how bad this is. I think an apology would end this now.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Commoner

He can take off and land at the base or his girlfriend's backyard, it shows he can take off and land at different places. Good for him.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1716 View Post
A romantic thing to do? Landingcosts a lot of money as it uses alot of fuel. I'm all for romatic gestures, but not if i, as a taxpayer am paying for them.
now.

The tax payers would having still pay even if it was not in his girlfriend's backyard. It was approved by his military superiors , it was part of his traning. The RAF superiors might owe the public an apology for allowing this to happen but certainly not William .
Old 04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Aristocracy

Seriously, I don't get all the hoopla about his training flights. He has to fly and land somewhere. He didn't visit Kate since he didn't even get off the helicopter. What difference does it make whether he flies to Berkshire or anywhere else really? He did not land in their "frontyard" but on a field that just happens to belong to the Middletons. Who knows how far this actually was away from their home? And the article didn't even tell whether Kate and/or her family were even there to witness his landing. So how can anybody say he only took the flight to impress her (as if he needs to ).
To me it looks like the papers just try to jump on the band wagon and unfortunately this time it's William who got on the raw end of things, I could to a certain degree understand the criticism about the stag party flight but to complain about this flight to Berkshire is just ridiculous, IMO.
He is trained to learn to fly smaller aircrafts and helicopters and I do not see how it matters where he flies to or where he lands. Even if he just flew in circles over the base, his training would have cost just as much and used just as much fuel etc. Whether one considers this training useful and/or necessary is a whole other story but has nothing to do with those recent articles.
And this helicopter would surely never have been dipatched to Afghanistan or Iraq anyways even if William hadn't flown it. Other trainees would have used it or it would simply have been out of service thatday. If the military lacks equipment, the people need to complain to the MoD and those responsible in the government but not be all over William who is certainly the least responsible.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principessa Cano View Post
And what would be wrong with him practicing taking off and landing at the base? Considering he only landed for 20 seconds, how much practice could he have really gotten in?
How much practice does it take to sit on the ground? It's the landing and taking off that's the hard part!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
Seriously, I don't get all the hoopla about his training flights. He has to fly and land somewhere. He didn't visit Kate since he didn't even get off the helicopter. What difference does it make whether he flies to Berkshire or anywhere else really? He did not land in their "frontyard" but on a field that just happens to belong to the Middletons. Who knows how far this actually was away from their home? And the article didn't even tell whether Kate and/or her family were even there to witness his landing. So how can anybody say he only took the flight to impress her (as if he needs to ).
To me it looks like the papers just try to jump on the band wagon and unfortunately this time it's William who got on the raw end of things, I could to a certain degree understand the criticism about the stag party flight but to complain about this flight to Berkshire is just ridiculous, IMO.
He is trained to learn to fly smaller aircrafts and helicopters and I do not see how it matters where he flies to or where he lands. Even if he just flew in circles over the base, his training would have cost just as much and used just as much fuel etc. Whether one considers this training useful and/or necessary is a whole other story but has nothing to do with those recent articles.
And this helicopter would surely never have been dipatched to Afghanistan or Iraq anyways even if William hadn't flown it. Other trainees would have used it or it would simply have been out of service thatday. If the military lacks equipment, the people need to complain to the MoD and those responsible in the government but not be all over William who is certainly the least responsible.
Well said Isana. At last someone with a bit of perspective.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Commoner

Trader and Isana I agree with both of you . This is really much to do about nothing.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Nobility

Are the press trying to change William's reputation as the "people's prince". i'm sure he would be a great one if they let him be.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post

He doesn't have to land or fly anywhere because he doesn't have to be in the RAF for show, he could have joined the RAF and not learnt to fly, my dad and sister are in the RAF and both do not fly, but it seems William is jsut intrested in the "cool" part of the RAf which is flying, he dosen't seem intrested in learning about the back work that is put in by many many otehr trades in the RAF.
I agree with you int he fact that if he is training, which i'm not massively against, he had to land somewhere, what i worrry about the most is the judgement, or lack off, that William, and yes Clarence House officials and William's superiors have shown, they should have know landing in William's girlfriends backgarden would have LOOKED bad, flying over Birkhall would have LOOKED bad, flying to the Isle of White would have LOOKED bad. He didn't do anything wrong, but he didn't do naything right either.

i've always admired William, i think he has grown up under impossible circumstances, and has shown real maturity and sense, but these revelations do not look good, and the fact he obvoisuly felt it was acceptable showed he does not seem to, in this instance, have realsied the huge public scrutiny that people righlty have into his life,when he i sspendign TAXPAYERS money, with no intention to serve in the Armed Forces.

If he was going to go off to fly helicopters and risk his life in te armed forces, seving in conflcit zones, as his uncle, Prrince Andrew, did then he could land a helicopter in the middle of Hawaii and take a 2 month holiday, but he is not. That is wherei have a problem with this. He's been through Army training, learning to fly a aircraft and now a heclipoter and soon will be on baord a navy ship, simply so he can say when he is King " i was in the military" which to those who have or know people who have been in armed conflit is to a degree insulting.

If he apoliges, simply saying - "Yeah, i had fun and messed around a bit in my training which everyone does but i realsie people might have expected better of me" then most people would be pleased, and i'd be one of them.

Its the fact that in years to come he'll use this as justification or saying "i was in the military" that gripes me.

Sorry to those that don't agree but thats my opinion.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Im Just over this at this point people make mistakes ,The press always put a spin on things (More Bad than Good I Think). It would be difficult to be them (The Royal Family )I Think but thats just my opinion, I Dont want a Republic.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Aristocracy

I think you are mixing three different questions though, tommy.
One is whether he needs to learn to fly in the RAF in the first place. And I agree, he doesn't but it's a royal tradition for the heir to go through all 3 branches of the military. And I wouldn't be so sure that it's all been William's choice really. He never striked me like the type who wanted to go to the armed forces but he did because that's what's expected of him. And it's understandable that he would see that side of the RAf that distiguishes it from the other branches of the military, i.e. the flying.
The second part is that he doesn't fight. That NOT Wiliam's decision. The MoD decides whether he'll be allowed to fight in combat. I think it's unfair to blame it on William if it's considered too much of a risk for him to go. He is the heir, there's no comparison to Andrew. And I think if he got the "green light", he'd be off to Afghanistan or Iraq in a heart-beat.
The third part is whether he abused his position as a trainee when he took those training flights. And I think he didn't and I think the public should be able to look beyond what the papers feed them. No extra money was wasted because William got to chose the destination of his training flights. Simple as that. I see no reason for him to apologize.
Unless one considers his whole training a waste of tax payers money, all of this is nothing but a storm in a tea cup, IMO.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Nobility

I agree totally that it almost certainly did not cost any extra money and i honestly don't think William said "i want to fly to .........". Yes RAF officers and MOD officals share the blame, but William is hte future king and this does, i believe, throw open the question of his judgement. He simply must have known that this would not look good to the media, that htis would not end up looking good to the public. And that is quite serious given the way that any modern royal family, adn a modern king/prince must be able to understand the idea of PR and public percetion, which im not saying i agree with, but that alot of people, and the media, all do.
When i say he shoud apologise i shoud say that an apology or explanation - if he said "look - yeah i landed in kate's back garden but i had to land somewhere so i did what any of us would do given the chage and tried to impres some friends. The media have blown the story out of proportion but sorry if anyone is offended" then that woule be fine, i'm not suggesting he grovels for giveness. But the silence from William andclaren house gives the IMPRESSION that he and they don't really care what the public think.

I would like to say that i love the british royal family, especially the younger generation, and i will after this, and yes the media and some peopel will use this to call for a republic and blow it out of all proportion. I don't think its that bad at all. I jsut think it could have been handled better.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Nobility

William is the heir to the throne and can do just about anything he pleases at just about any given moment....He is about 98% as perfect, caring and sensitive as an heir has ever been. I would rather he not enjoy flying so much (as tragedy struck the other Pirnce William) but he's entitled to do just about what he pleases..and that includes a little fun at taxpayer'e expense every now and then...

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william