The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Navy for about a Year Starting this summer I Think

Old 04-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Nobility

I read an article posted on another site that said that Prince William will continue with the RAF for another month after his graduation. The article said that he will train with some type of helicopter unit for a month after he receives his wings.

I think that's a good way for William to gain firsthand knowledge of what the regular pilots have to deal with in the RAF. It will make him a more knowledgeable Monarch, and definitely more sympathetic to the military!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

There have been many complaints about William receiving pilot training at all. It may fulfill a lifelong ambition, but with the cuts to the armed services, I have to wonder why we are wasting taxpayers money on training a young man who, under normal circumstances would be turned down for pilot training and will never be able to repay the country for his tuition, by going to war. He has money of his own and should have had private lessons.

He can get to know the RAF from working 'on the ground', there are many more support personnel than there are pilots. Perhaps he should have spent time with them to learn how the RAF actually functions!

I expect his 6 months with the Navy will be another jolly time!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Nobility

Would he be turned noormally due his eye sight if it is not perfect, for his age or due his height (being too tall)?
Just one or all of these reasons.
Will he deployed anywhere or sent on a Navy cruise while he is on the RN or just stay home again?
Old 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpusa1981 View Post
Would he be turned noormally due his eye sight if it is not perfect, for his age or due his height (being too tall)?
Just one or all of these reasons.
Will he deployed anywhere or sent on a Navy cruise while he is on the RN or just stay home again?
He is too tall and his sight does not meet the required standard, with or without corrective surgery.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Courtier

^ ^ ^ Wow I didn't know there was a hight limit for being a pilot! Can I ask what is the maximum hight - if its not too off topic
Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
^ ^ ^ Wow I didn't know there was a height limit for being a pilot! Can I ask what is the maximum height - if its not too off topic
They weed out those over 6ft when it comes to selection, so although you are allowed to join, none of the pilots I know or have met are over the 6ft mark.

The RAF site does not specify a height restriction because they want people to join and then 'encourage' them into other trades.

BBC NEWS | Wales | South East Wales | Teenage pilot too tall for jets

William would be refused Pilot Training because of his height, his eyesight and his age, the upper age limit is 23.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Courtier

Thank you for your answer Skydragon

I guess I understand a little more now why people are/were not to happy with William receiving training!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Commoner

kate has been banned from his raf graduation,guess they don't want another middleton parade
Old 04-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Nobility

I read the article, and it didn't say that she was actually banned. The article stated that this was a decision mutually agreed upon by Prince William and Catherine.

Incidentally, I also read the other article concerning the striptease surprise. It said that William and Catherine attended a party being given for the charity named after Henry Van Straubenzee. The striptease was a part of the entertainment at charity party, it wasn't at a strip club.
I would assume that it wasn't a real striptease, since the person doing the stripping was a female impersonator, and a lot of the guests at the party were of an older age group than William and Catherine. Henry and Thomas Van Straubenzee's parents were there for starters, along with their friends.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Courtier

Prince William makes flying visit to Fen airfield - Peterborough Today

also other article...

William asked Camilla to come to see William earn his wings on Friday....

Daily Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: Columnists :: Camilla and Wills get close
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Nobility

I'm reading some other peoples comments on that website and it is amazing what people say! They say that William should never forgive or accept Camilla. I know she didn't do the best thing, but William shouldn't ignore her or not show any respect. I think William's doing good by inviting her. Although the boys may never forget, they should forgive.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Majesty

I think it would be unhealthy for William and Harry to carry a grudge into their adults years and into the next generation. They have their own lives to lead now, and people can't expect them to snub and despise their stepmother just because it gratifies their own sense of "righteous" indignation ("See. Even Charles's sons hate Camilla so it's okay for me to hate her as well.").

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
I'm reading some other peoples comments on that website and it is amazing what people say! They say that William should never forgive or accept Camilla. I know she didn't do the best thing, but William shouldn't ignore her or not show any respect. I think William's doing good by inviting her. Although the boys may never forget, they should forgive.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
I would imagine that, as with many children of broken marriages, they are able to understand the misery their parents caused one another. As they have aged, they would probably have realised that some parents work better with other partners. Camilla and Charles have been there for them since Diana died and many children do get on really well with a step parent.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Courtier

Wills is a top heir sea rescue

Prince William | In control | At Sea King helicopter | The Sun |HomePage|News|Royals
Old 04-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
There have been many complaints about William receiving pilot training at all. It may fulfill a lifelong ambition, but with the cuts to the armed services, I have to wonder why we are wasting taxpayers money on training a young man who, under normal circumstances would be turned down for pilot training and will never be able to repay the country for his tuition, by going to war. He has money of his own and should have had private lessons.
[snipped and my bolding]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
He is too tall and his sight does not meet the required standard, with or without corrective surgery.
The first and foremost, he is the Prince and the son of the Crown Prince. In comparison with the aforementioned, eye sight and height are just minor details. Thus, Prince William has got his pilot training.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Aristocracy

True, he didn't get into the program because he fully qualifies but because he's the heir and they want him to get to know all three branches of the military. If I remember correctly this course was actually specifically designed for him so he doesn't get the "usual" pilot training anyways, which probably takes much longer than 4 months.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
True, he didn't get into the program because he fully qualifies but because he's the heir and they want him to get to know all three branches of the military. If I remember correctly this course was actually specifically designed for him so he doesn't get the "usual" pilot training anyways, which probably takes much longer than 4 months.
There were 20 others that took it with him.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The first and foremost, he is the Prince and the son of the Crown Prince. In comparison with the aforementioned, eye sight and height are just minor details. Thus, Prince William has got his pilot training.
I'd say that depends. There are practical reasons for the decision not to let people with poor eyesight fly fighter jets. Plus the pilot should fit comfortably into the cockpit, so that all systems can be reached properly and security systems work perfectly.

Obviously at some stage people responsible decided that the prince's height and bad eyesight, while not within the specifications, only posed a controllable risk. But to call the specifications worked out by experts and agreed to by the RAF officials "minor details" only because the person they apply to is a prince is a bit much, IMHO. It's a bit like allowing a blind man to drive a car because he is a prince. Noone would do that. And equally the specifications applying to the flying of jets are there for good reasons as well.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Majesty

The key point is that Prince William is highly unlikely to fly a fighter jet as a part of his military career. According to Skydragon, he is going to become a naval officer (see post#20). I hope I have understood her correctly. Under such circumstances, the pilot training seems to be Prince William’s whim fulfilled at the expense of the tax payers.
Generally speaking, one should have a natural appropriate physique to become a fighter pilot. One of my classmates was disqualified because of a minor defect in one of his eyes he was totally unaware of. He was told that he had to have naturally good eyesight without any corrective surgery.

Tags
prince william