The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Aristocracy

It's kinda of silly for William to train for a military life,as he will never see and action.He'd be be better of studying politics for economics.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

He will serve as a Patron Ive got faith in him God Bless Him Follow your DREAMS

Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

PRINCE William will follow in his father's footsteps next week when he begins training to fly with the RAF.

He will don overalls and a helmet and take to the skies with an instructor in order to earn his wings, just as the Prince of Wales did more than 35 years ago

Prince William prepares for take-off as RAF stint begins - The Scotsman

BBC NEWS | UK | Prince William to train as pilot
Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalone3 View Post
It's kinda of silly for William to train for a military life,as he will never see and action.He'd be be better of studying politics for economics.
I agree. However, can you imagine the frustration of not being able to really 'voice' one's leanings on any political or economic issue after spending years in learning those processes? I know I wouldn't want to be just a 'yes' man and support everything the government is throwing at me because I'm forced to without an opinion.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalone3 View Post
Why is it silly to spend time in the military if not going to "see action"? I served in the navy and never "saw action"? Why do people have this notion that the military is pointless if there is no war? Prince Charles served in the military and never "saw action". Did people also say it was "silly" for him to be in the navy while he never went to a war?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:38 PM

Prince Charles was trained as a pilot. When was that ever useful? William was supposedly trained as a soldier, he can't serve. It's clear he'll never be able to see active military service so why waste public money training him when he obviously needs training in other areas. Pointless.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Prince Charles was trained as a pilot. When was that ever useful? William was supposedly trained as a soldier, he can't serve. It's clear he'll never be able to see active military service so why waste public money training him when he obviously needs training in other areas. Pointless.
On the contrary, the Royal Family is a miltary family, and their forebears were military officers. Also, while the defense of the realm is managed by the Minsitry of Defence, it helps a lot for the hier of the throne to be familiar with the armed forces by being employed by the armed forces. The armed forces is not all at the front line or deployed in foreign lands, there are units of support which is vital for the armed forces.

To fly an aircraft is a useful skill. Also Prince William can learn about the RAF and its traditions as an officer there. It is part of a course of familiarization with the armed forces, and in the pipeline is several months in the Royal Navy.

And this is coming from me as a non-military person, that much I respect the Royal Family!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:56 PM

A military family who can no longer serve in the military. How is learning to fly useful to William when he'll never be asked to fly a plane? Come on. All they can do is wear uniforms and mince about and in my book that's not military service - that's a fetish weekend in Hove.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Nobility

That's wonderful William visited the patients and staff. He really seems like a kind person and will be a great king one day.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
That's wonderful William visited the patients and staff. He really seems like a kind person and will be a great king one day.
One visit a Saint does not make...
Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Aristocracy

I think his military training has been far too extensive. A short period of time (maybe around 4-6 months) with each branch of the military would have sufficed to give him an impression of military workings. He doesn't need a full-fledged 3 year education as commander on one of the best military schools in the UK (Sandhurst) when it's clear to everyone that he'll never use it. Neither does he need to be trained to fly jets. As head of the armed forces he's not supposed to fight with them but merely a figure head and he can very well be that without spending so much time as a "toy soldier". He'd be far better off spending his time on charity work and in the diplomatic services, IMO, since that's the main "working area" for Royals nowadays.

I think it's a good sign that he decided to visit the hospital (probably on short notice since the fire was only a couple of days ago). I hope he'll participate in more engagements this year and shows some initiative of his own when it comes to charity work. Harry has his own charity since he's 18 after all while William hasn't really shown much interest in any particular field, yet.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
One visit a Saint does not make...
I'm sure to those people he is a saint. They are ill people and on top of that they had to be evacuated from one hospital to another because the hospital they were in caught fire and they are happy to know that people care. Whether or not he is a saint to you is your own opinion.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 PM

Te be frank, big deal that he went. It's about time. Gordon Brown was down there immediately, what took Wills so long? Was he sobering up? It's obvious this has been forced by the spin doctors to improve his image, he has no interest in those people or that hospital and he's condescending to them by pretending he does.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Courtier

I hope he can survive without booze for 4 months

RAF bans Prince William from drinking for four months | the Daily Mail

also more article on visit Royal Marsden

The Prince of Wales - Prince William meets staff and patients from the Royal Marsden Hospital
Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
A military family who can no longer serve in the military. How is learning to fly useful to William when he'll never be asked to fly a plane? Come on. All they can do is wear uniforms and mince about and in my book that's not military service - that's a fetish weekend in Hove.
I know we've been through this in another thread, but to claim that military training and simply putting on a uniform for the sake of dressing up are the same thing is nonsensical, as well as being insulting to people who have served in the military in a non-combat capacity in the past.

Harry's Afrika Korps uniform was a case of using military gear for dressing up; William's RAF training isn't. Please don't try and claim you don't know the difference.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 PM

In my view Elspeth, there is no difference. And thats the truth, I see no difference at all.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

No difference between months of training and simply putting on a uniform? How about the difference between medical training and putting on a white coat? No difference at all?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM

When you train and put that white coat on, you go on to treat people in that white coat. When you train and put on a uniform, you usually go to do something worthwhile in the army. It's been made abundantly clear that William can NEVER fight and he can't have a desk job so what's the point? His training has simply been to justify him wearing a uniform in his future role as King. Which IMO is ridiculous.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

why cant he Have a Desk Job Beatrix Fan

Closed Thread