Prince William Current Events 17: September-January 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Prince William is fulfilling more naval/marine engagements. Today he went out to the Royal Marines base at Faslane. Prince William is Commodore-in-Chief for Submarines, and for the Royal Navy in Scotland. Faslane is home of the UK's 'Trident' submarines. If I understand, the Daily Mail informs that Faslane has two of these 'Trident' craft. They go on about how William rode along with Marines commanders in one of the 'ORC's (Offshore Raiding Craft) which operate to protect the sub's while they move in and out of the base.

More articles & Pictures from yesterday and today
The Prince of Wales - Prince William visits BAE Systems in Scotstoun and HMS Daring
That's William ... Prince William: Wills takes to the waves with the Marines, Bond-style | the Daily Mail
He shoots ...he scores: Prince William shows England footballers how it's done | the Daily Mail
Wills joins Tyneside kids for fun footie warm-up session in Newcastle
Updated Polfoto Gallery
Updated Isifa Gallery
Latest Gallery on Getty

Question: In the UK, is the Royal Marines part of the Royal Navy? I ask because in the US, the Marines are technically part of the Department of the Navy. I guess you could say the US Marines are a separate service, but rather than having their own department, they fall under the same department with the Navy. I'm just curious if it is the same in the UK. Most of the US military format is by and large copied from the UK.... :)

Last edited:
Question: In the UK, is the Royal Marines part of the Royal Navy? I ask because in the US, the Marines are technically part of the Department of the Navy. I guess you could say the US Marines are a separate service, but rather than having their own department, they fall under the same department with the Navy. I'm just curious if it is the same in the UK. Most of the US military format is by and large copied from the UK.... :)
Yes it is similar here. The Royal Marines are known as the UK Navy's amphibious infantry. :flowers:

He looked doing the training exerises with the Royal Marines.
Skydragon, do you think he will do something with Royal Marines or the RN next year?

Skydragon, do you think he will do something with Royal Marines or the RN next year?
There's no need to ask Skydragon again as she has already posted the Clarence House announcement at post 67 (10 October).

kpusa1981 said:
He looked doing the training exerises with the Royal Marines.

William is definitely doing stints with the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force according to the press release to which Warren kindly points the way. It will be interesting to see if he does any time in the Royal Marines, as he would be the only royal to do so besides his uncle Prince Edward, and Prince Edward did not complete the basic officer training. It was an odd choice for someone like Edward, going from the Royal Marines to the arty musical theatre stuff. I'm not saying it's unheard of, but.... and again, I might be wrong, but I imagine one just doesn't see too many ex-Marines going off to serve coffee for Andrew Lloyd Webber? :D

I might be wrong, but I imagine one just doesn't see too many ex-Marines going off to serve coffee for Andrew Lloyd Webber? :D
No but there was one on TV last night who has won a competition (on TV) to open a restaurant with some chef or other. :D

IBL Gallery
19 October 2007: After riding in the Offshore Raiding Craft with Marines commanders, as well as taking part in other mock exercises, Prince William visited the Faslane naval base housing area.

Two Abaca galleries:
First and second

Updated Polfoto

Wills enjoys the limelight as Diana inquest casts shadow over royals

HAIR slicked back by sea spray and flanked by Royal Marines, Prince William sped across the waters of the River Clyde yesterday as he took part in military manoeuvres, then settled comfortably into his public role by opening a social club

The Scotsman - Wills enjoys the limelight as Diana inquest casts shadow over royals

Also from the article - However Brian Hoey, a biographer of Prince William, said: "The inquest has been planned for months. They know this will divert attention and I think it's far too coincidental - perhaps it is to try to help keep Williams mind off of the inquest?

Those HQ pics are beautiful and the Scotsman video is great. :flowers: Awesome when he sat in the "dentist" chair. :lol: Then they apologized because there were no drinks to serve.

Personally, I avoid reading about the Inquest. I will actively seek out anything to read other than about the Inquest. The first few days held an interest for me, but then it was overwhelmingly depressing. Reading too much about the last acts of people you know were speeding unknowingly toward their death cannot be healthy. It certainly is unpleasant, to say the least. Point is: The Royals don't have to work too hard to "divert" my attention. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just saw on an entertainment show that Scarlett Johansson admitted to having a childhood crush on William...how cute would they be together...:whistling:...very Grace Kelly...LOL

Thanks, Skydragon.

Wednesday, 24 October 2007
Prince William at the funeral for Royal Gurkha Rifles Major Alexis "Lex" Roberts, Canterbury Cathedral, Kent
---> Picture from The Sun

Why wasn't wearing his Regimental tie? Was it because it wsa a funeral?
Could he have worn a poppy or is it to early for that?
He good and serious like should be at funeral. I liked tha picture that CasiraghiTrio posted.

Invited for high tea at Highgrove, home of the Princes William and Harry and their father the Prince of Wales, the band were underwhelmed by the food on offer.

Prince William made toast for Spice Girls - Telegraph

I'm rather 'unimpressed' by this person's need to be derogatory about her visit! :rolleyes:

What is even worse is that she "let it know to our hosts" that she didn't like the food. That is rude, in my opinion. One's hosts go to the trouble, or their staff does.... She didn't show any appreciation for being invited and served in this lovely home and meeting these amazing people. If I had the chance to talk to (more like, listen to) the Prince of Wales, I might not even notice the food.... even if it was delicious.

My Heart goes out to The Majors Family and Friends including Prince William, And to all the Families who have lost a loved one in war God Bless The Fallen... our Heros Hurrah!

All is quite about Prince William these last few days. Does anyone now what he is doing?:flowers:

While I do wish he would do something about it(I did think he looked alot better 6 years ago), if he's ok with it I don't get what the press are trying to do make him more insecure although I'm sure he's used to all this crap by now.

Yeah, the Heir Apparent is the Eldest Son of the Monarch whose position in line of sucession cannot be superseded. The Heir/ess Presumptive is someone who could be superseded but who currently stands at the top spot, like an Eldest Daughter who would be ousted by the birth of a son, or like if a King has no children,then his eldest brother if he had one would be Heir Presumptive. :)

But I thought William was called Heir Presumptive to the Throne. Obviously I be wrong.... :cool:

There can't be more then one heir apparent to the Throne, so obviously William is not one.
But at the same time, he can't be called heir presumptive, because heir presumptive is someone, whose position can be displaced by someone's birth or by someone, with a better claim to the throne. In case of William, no one can replace him and once his father is King, he will be Heir Apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom