The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Luv2Cruise - It seems as if Clarence House and the powers that be have changed their intentions, I don't think William had a lot of say in the matter. There are many who are asking why he is receiving pay as an Officer, when it is clear he is unable to see active service. Just because we know there are more things to do within the armed forces, than fight.....

There are already 'mumblings' over William at his height and with his sight, being allowed to attempt to earn his wings. There is of course no doubt that he will 'earn' them, is there.

Anyone else applying to join the RAF as a pilot has to have 'uncorrected vision', (no specs and no surgery). If they have, they are guided to choose any other trade. (I did post a link somewhere, with a reply from a RAF careers advisor, stating the uncorrected vision rule for 'normal' folk)!

That is why, I always try to put 'under normal circumstances' when talking about William or Harry and their time in the services!

Prince William to serve with Navy and RAF - Telegraph

Old 10-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Courtier

The Prince of Wales - Prince William to serve on attachment to Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force in 2008

Prince William to join Navy, RAF - CNN.com

Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

A handout photograph obtained 10 October 2007 from Britain's Ministry of Defence shows Prince William during training at an army base in Bovington, Dorset, south west England.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Courtier

new pics..

Fotobanka isifa image service
Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the pics and articles. Associated Press has the Bovington pics, taken by SGT Gary Tyson and released by the Defense Ministry today, without watermarks.
Driving tank
Pic 2
Being the traffic controller
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6

Prince William to serve with Navy and RAF as he prepares to become King | the Daily Mail
Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

So what (in detail) will his Traing in The RAF And Navy consist of (it said something about the Fleet Air Arm) I Know a bit about the UK Armed Forces who can tell me more
Thanks Very Much in Advance
Respectfully
Royal Fan
Old 10-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
So what (in detail) will his Traing in The RAF And Navy consist of (it said something about the Fleet Air Arm) I Know a bit about the UK Armed Forces who can tell me more
If he is going for his wings, they will cover all aspects of pilot training, but that depends on which aircraft he will be allowed to fly. As you can see from this link, under normal circumstances, the upper age limit is 23, but normal circumstances are being cast aside. Still he should enjoy Cranwell, (if that is where he does go) & Coningsby if he is to fly the Typhoon, (noisier bloomin things).
Pilot - Aircrew jobs – RAF Careers

This gives you a variety of information on the Navy Fleet Air Arm.
Fleet Air Arm : Operations and Support : Royal Navy
Old 10-10-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
If he is going for his wings, they will cover all aspects of pilot training, but that depends on which aircraft he will be allowed to fly. As you can see from this link, under normal circumstances, the upper age limit is 23, but normal circumstances are being cast aside. Still he should enjoy Cranwell, (if that is where he does go) & Coningsby if he is to fly the Typhoon, (noisier bloomin things).
Pilot - Aircrew jobs – RAF Careers

This gives you a variety of information on the Navy Fleet Air Arm.
Fleet Air Arm : Operations and Support : Royal Navy
Interesting. I thought it was a given he would go to Cranwell, but didn't know until now about Coningsby. In any case, he is getting the same kind of crash course of the military forces that his father had, only perhaps more extensive, as I do not know of his father ever doing something in the army.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:11 PM

This pic looks like it's from the Boujis night with Kate last week because he is wearing the same shirt, and he has the same messy hair style.
Funny hair
It's from here:
Hola's Most Attractive Man Poll
Of course I had to vote for Pierre. Although I know saying that in William's thread is dangerous.... try to refrain from throwing tomatos, please?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Anyone else applying to join the RAF as a pilot has to have 'uncorrected vision', (no specs and no surgery). If they have, they are guided to choose any other trade. (I did post a link somewhere, with a reply from a RAF careers advisor, stating the uncorrected vision rule for 'normal' folk)!
Prince William to serve with Navy and RAF - Telegraph
Why the heck is the RAF so strict? The US Navy even allows for corrected vision either glasses or eye surgery and the Navy is the hardest branch to be a pilot in since you have to land on aircraft carriers.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Interesting. I thought it was a given he would go to Cranwell, but didn't know until now about Coningsby. In any case, he is getting the same kind of crash course of the military forces that his father had, only perhaps more extensive, as I do not know of his father ever doing something in the army.
His initial training should be Cranwell, but if he wants a 'shot' at the Typhoon, it's Coningsby. He will be the first royal to have received training in all three arms, (not The Three Arms, which sells a nice pint. )
Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpusa1981 View Post
Why the heck is the RAF so strict?
One of the problems, I am told, is if they are doing a high speed roll or manouever and the glasses get knocked off or your contact lens shifts, then you put your co pilot, yourself and people on the ground in danger. You also risk a multi million pound piece of equipment. They are not trained to fly just one type of craft, they can be in a Harrier and then changed to a Nimrod or Typhoon!

William also had his concerns about his sight.

Prince William to have year long 'Boy's Own' military stint learning to fly helicopters | the Daily Mail

William, who wears glasses in private, had always feared his vision problems would prevent him from taking to the skies.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 AM

There is a real danger with flying certain aircraft, i.e. fighter jets, with corrective devices like contacts and glasses. In the Daily Mail, it says Prince William may fly the Tutor aircraft. I am not knowledgeable about planes so I looked this up. (I only know vaguely about the rules about corrective vision and planes from my comrades in my military service many years ago).
Have a look here:
http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/tutorgriffin.cfm
Maybe William is going to fly this. It says Cranwell uses it for basic flying instruction.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
RAF - Tutor T Mark 1
Maybe William is going to fly this. It says Cranwell uses it for basic flying instruction.
Yes, most of them start their pilot training with the 'Tutor' or the Tucano, but I presumed he would want to build up his air time and go on to a REAL plane! (One of the brats is involved with the Typhoon, so I am biased, you might say)!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Nobility

Anybody know if William is nearsighted or farsighted? This is the first I've heard of him "wearing glasses in private"?

Any photos of him wearing glasses? That would be interesting to see!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Courtier

more pics..

Abaca Press Americas Search Results
Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bluffton View Post
Anybody know if William is nearsighted or farsighted? This is the first I've heard of him "wearing glasses in private"?

Any photos of him wearing glasses? That would be interesting to see!

There were photos of him arriving at the Cheltenham races in his glasses. He took them off when he got out of his car. He looked good in them, imho! But I guess he is self-conscious about it.

Anyway, I had to dig around a bit in my photobucket but I found it here: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...illermo-1a.jpg (source is hola)
Old 10-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Anybody know if William is nearsighted or farsighted?
If he's only wearing them for driving, he's near-sighted.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Nobility

Look at the 6th pic
Is that the regular second LT star or not?

Look at the 5th pics
Why does it look like the 2nd Lt's rank card says something (probably Light Dragoons) and William does not say anything? That can be clearly seen in the first pic I posted.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpusa1981 View Post
Look at the 6th pic
Is that the regular second LT star or not?

Look at the 5th pics
Why does it look like the 2nd Lt's rank card says something (probably Light Dragoons) and William does not say anything? That can be clearly seen in the first pic I posted.
You mean on his shoulder board insignia? Maybe the other guy is First LT or LT Cmdr. I'm not familiar with British army ranks.
I think it is a case for Skydragon.
Here is another "glasses" picture.
The source is The Sun. It's not as flattering to him as the Cheltenham "glasses" picture, though. It's just his expression here, with the teeth sticking out, poor guy, I mean The Sun would plaster that picture, of all the pix they can choose from, on their site?