Prince William Current Events 19: May 2008-May 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But no matter what the royal family does to try to keep themselves out of the tabloids, these papers are always going to find a story to publish - even if it's on the shady side of truth.
That's true.
So even if people are reading tabloids like The Sun and taking their stories as reality, what are the princes supposed to do? Stop having fun entirely?
Yes, and go to Big Brother whith their whole family. People will be happy...

I think the main reason for the criticism is as Platell writes - could there be a greater insult to the brave fighting men who genuinely risk their lives in the service of their country?, IMO, No. He has spent a short time doing all the 'easy or fun activities', so for CH and Williams PR machine to suggest this will have given him any idea of the various arms, is ludicrous.Worked for the Mail? :D:whistling:

I've been most critical of William's jumping from branch to branch but even if he stayed in one area of service longer, I don't think he would have had the perfectly normal military stint along with the dangers that most soldiers face. He'd have to go into combat to get that which was problematic even for Harry.

If he couldn't have a normal military stint and decided to forego military training, I suppose the armed forces would be less insulted for the time being but I imagine a total lack of military experience would come back to haunt him when he's having to assume honorary command of a regiment.

I don´t think it would have hurt Prince William to go to the Olympic Games to support the British Team. As far as Kate Middleton goes, I couldn´t care less. Sometimes people seem to forget how old the Queen is, that hot humid climate would not be very enjoyable or healthy for her. William is young and about time he took on some serious duties and besides that he would have enjoyed himself for sure.

You are right in thatit would not hurt Will to go to the Olympics - once he has entered active royal duty, which he is still to I am sure he will be attending the next Olympics.

Well, since the next Olympics will be in London chances are that he'll show up. :)

I read somewhere that David Beckham is to attend the closing ceremonies in Beijing as a representative of London 2012. Might be possible that William will join him as a surprise. It would be a great goodwill gesture but perhaps just wishful thinking.

To me the British Royal Family seem to have each person with particular responsiblities etc and Princess Anne gets the Olympic gigs due to having been a competitor.
The rest of the royals don't usually attend any games at all, except for Montreal when the Queen opened the games and the rest of the family went to watch Anne compete.
I don't seem to recall any other members of the BFR attending any Olympic Games so I would not expect William to attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Anne is a member of the International Olympic Committee so is involved at an official level.
She is also a member of the London Organising Committe for the 2012 Games.

I Wonder will we see Charles as King by then also thatll be the Diamond Jubilee will they collide

I Wonder will we see Charles as King by then also thatll be the Diamond Jubilee will they collide

I was in Oxford when it was announced that the Olympics were to be in London in 2012 and one of the papers, the next day, had a piece that indicated that the Jubilee celebrations were planned to be a few weeks before the opening of the games so that they wouldn't collide but that people who wanted to attend, from overseas could do so as they wouldn't be months apart. I don't know how true it is but I do remember it. Unfortunately the papers didn't make it home with me to check.

The only way we will see Charles King by then is if the Queen has died in which case there won't be any Jubilee celebrations but given the date now they might have to ensure no overlap with coronation celebrations and unfortunately the possibility of funeral arrangements given the Queen and DOE's current ages (by then 86 and 91).

Personally I hope to see the Queen open the games with her beloved husband by her side and her eldest son and heir right there as well with his lovely wife.

Princess Anne is a member of the International Olympic Committee so is involved at an official level.
She is also a member of the London Organising Committe for the 2012 Games.

That is my point exactly - she is the member of the BRF who has the Olympic gig while other royals do other things.

Posts about Prince William's plans to train as a Search and Rescue pilot have been moved to their own thread here.

Posts about his charities and patronages have been moved to their own thread here.

Last edited:
Prince William was supposed to be doing things the SAS, SBS, SRR, and the AAC as well as at the MoD or was it at Whitehall. I supprised there have ben no pictures of doing any of it. As I had understood the thing SAS, SBS, and SSR were supposed to be in the mode of visits more than nessarily active Particapation in excerses.
What has Prince William been doing since 1 Sept.?

According to the Telegraph, anyway, William's been training at an RAF base since September 15.

Thank you for thae artile. That is actually an AAC Base.
"He arrived at the Air Corps' base in Middle Wallop, Hants, on Monday, and according to The Sun will begin to learn about Army air support's vital role in war zones." This is a intresting quote from the Telegraph.

Princes William and Harry were "deeply saddened" by the death of a former comrade in Afghanistan, Clarence House said.
Trooper James Munday, from Birmingham, was killed on Wednesday afternoon in a blast during a routine patrol in Helmand Province.

Soldier's death 'saddens' Princes - Yahoo! News UK

That motorcycle trek must be fun.

I am glad that William seems cautious and serious about the charities he represents. He seems to add them to his list slowly and with the rule that he should have the time and true heart to be patron for another organization. I imagine one of the difficult things for the royal family is to even sometimes remember some of these things "one" is patron for. :D But then, that would be the purpose of the private secretaries, the equerries, LIWs, et al. Still, it's better for him to ease into it. If he takes on too much at once, he could have a breakdown or something, which would not serve well for either himself or anyone else

He does like that sort of velvety looking dark blue (maybe black) jacket, and to wear it with always the same white shirt and jeans. He likes it and that's great but he seems always to wear it to the clubs, and of course to the Diana concert. One wishes he might spice it up sometimes
I saw the pic of him with Aguilera but don't see any pic of him and Paris. Hmmmmm I didn't read the article though, because it seems stupid and I don't have time at the moment, gotta cut this short. :angel:

I've moved the posts about the African bike trek to their own thread since both brothers are involved. You can find the thread here.

Do the Princes do these visits in their own time, or do they have special leave from the armed services.

Do the Princes do these visits in their own time, or do they have special leave from the armed services.

Depends on the engagement. So far William has tended to do most of his when he's been between placements. Harry has tended to do engagements when he's had leave.

Motorcycle riding must be awesome. It's good to see him and Harry doing cross country motorbiking. My brother loves dirt bike riding when he gets the chance and it is something that turns me on. I personally want a street racing bike myself. There's nothing like revving one of those puppies. Wish them a good time.

how early are their calenders published? 6 months? a year?

Motorcycle riding must be awesome.
It is fantastic, very little compares to the thrill of 'leaning' into the bends at speed. Not as much fun with a pillion though!

I never understood the fuss about William or Harry taking their test. They indubitably had the best tuition, (CBT followed by more tuition before the theory and road test) followed by the police high speed pursuit instruction.:flowers:

how early are their calenders published? 6 months? a year?

Generally 2 weeks in advance ( same as Charles and Camilla), sometimes a few days in advance. And at times too, no advance notice, such as Harry's engagement on Monday for Wellchild, he's patron of Wellchild and it's obvious the engagement was planned well ahead and yet it was not listed on the official calendar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom