The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Joss Stone denies she and Prince William are close

Singer Joss Stone is denying reports that she and Prince William are close friends.

Joss Stone denies she and Prince William are close - Yahoo! India News

Old 06-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've just cleared a bunch of birthday wishes out of this thread. Apparently nobody's bothered to read this announcement, which states, among other things, that "Later this month we'll be adding threads where birthday and anniversary wishes can be posted instead of being posted in the current-events and news threads. Until then, please be restrained in posting birthday and anniversary wishes in the regular threads, since it's rather tiresome to read post after post saying just "happy birthday!""

Since I know people will be wanting to post birthday wishes to Prince William, we're opening up the "Birthday and Anniversary wishes" thread a bit early in the British forum. It can be found here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hes-12882.html

That's the thread for birthday wishes; this isn't. Please post news articles and other factual information about the birthday here, and post your birthday wishes in the other thread.

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Courtier

life of william pics..

HELLO! Photo gallery
Old 06-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Courtier

William's heir to force land in Glastonbury? he went to Glastonbury where the music begin....

The Royalist - William's Heir Force To Land At Glastonbury?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Nobility

A commentator on one of the cable channels in the US made a comment last night that just seems ridiculous to me so I am coming here to the royal experts. She said that now that William is 25, he can marry anyone he wants without the Queens approval. Huh???? I thought all those in line for the throne had to have QE2s approval (especially those high up in rank). Wills is number 2 in line!!! How can he just be allowed to marry someone the Queen doesn't appove? I think this woman announcer has no clue. I also remember hearing that if a member of the royal family marries a Catholic they a bumped out of line. I'm not sure if that is still true, but if it is what happens if Wills marries a catholic?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Nobility

How did he come to be able to fly a helicopter?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Gentry

The author of this helicopter story in the link acknowledges that this probably is not a true story since William is like his grandmother when it comes to money--she doesn't like to spend money unnecessarily.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Commoner

recent Prince William articles

I found an article which claims that not only does Prince William get the interest on his inheritance upon turning twenty five, but also that once he's reached that age, he no longer has to get the Queen's permission to get married, lol. Here's the link to that story, for anyone who's interested:

Prince William Inherits, Harry still pinches pennies

*I don't know how true any of them are, but I thought them to be an interesting read. So I decided to share. Does anyone know if that "rule" about needing the Queen's permission to get married, is true?

"One day my music will unite. Fighting will be no more that's right. One day my people will know love and this war will over. And love will fall upon us ..." ~ from the song 'One Day' by Kees Dieffenthaller
Old 06-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, it's sort of true, but it isn't as simple as that. Under the terms of the Royal Marriages Act, which goes back to the reign of George III in 1772, if he married without the Queen's consent when under 25, the marriage would be illegal and invalid; if the Queen doesn't give consent, there's nothing he can do. Once he's 25 and wants to marry without the Queen's consent, there is a way to do it, but it isn't easy. He has to give notice to the Privy Council of his intention to marry and then wait for a year. After the year is up, he can marry as long as Parliament hasn't passed an act during that year forbidding the marriage.

So, yes, if he's prepared to go through the formality of giving notice to the Privy Council, waiting for a year, and risking that Parliament won't intervene and probably cause a constitutional crisis in the process, he can marry without the Queen's consent. But it's by no means as simple as just saying "up yours, Granny," and skipping off to the nearest village church.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Commoner

Hmm, that's interesting! I know a lot of people don't really agree with having parental consent for getting married, but, if you think about it, it does kinda make sense. A lot of the time these days you see marriages ending in divorce. To me when you seek parental approval of your spouse-to-be, you're asking them to decide if they think she'll fit in with you and your lifestyle and be a good match for your personality, etc. After all, the people who've known you your whole life and who raised you are the people who know you best, and they are likely to be the people who you will run to when the going gets rough, and if they like their in-law, they'll support the marriage. So, even though the Queen may not be his parent, she's still the head of the family, and she knows him probably better than any of us here or anyone he may get involved with and decide to marry.

That's just the benefits I see from the procedure you described there Elspeth. Not saying tho that this is the reason why those laws or procedures are there in the first place. I wonder who came up with the idea for that law anyway?

"One day my music will unite. Fighting will be no more that's right. One day my people will know love and this war will over. And love will fall upon us ..." ~ from the song 'One Day' by Kees Dieffenthaller
Old 06-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
I wonder who came up with the idea for that law anyway?
The Royal Marriages Act of 1772 was introduced in response to the "unsuitable" marriage of the Duke of Cumberland. Up to that point there seems to have been no legal impediment to a British Prince or Princess marrying whoever they wished, so the RMA was a means for George III and the Parliament to gain some control over royal marriages.

For more detail, see Wikipedia, here.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
Hmm, that's interesting! I know a lot of people don't really agree with having parental consent for getting married, but, if you think about it, it does kinda make sense.
The person your parents might approve of can turn out to be a nightmare for you to live with - Charles and Diana for instance.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The person your parents might approve of can turn out to be a nightmare for you to live with - Charles and Diana for instance.
You are correct but they had two wonderful children, I'am sure William will pick the right woman for him regardless of race or class.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Aristocracy

World Exclusive: Wills and Kate are dating again | the Daily Mail

interesting article...
Old 06-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma View Post
she looks a lot like chelsy

btw has anyone been linked to william yet???? all my friends keep asking me since i'm the royalty watcher.
Oh, of course. He's back together with Kate, except when he - you know - isn't. Thanks to the Daily Mail for that helpful update.

Hope that makes it all perfectly clear...
Old 06-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Commoner

wills and kate....dating again ??? oh my lord, here we go AGAIN.....
Old 06-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Wink

It seems virtually every paper in the UK is carrying the story of secret dates!
Old 06-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Commoner

From the IHT:

Quote:

A spokeswoman for William's Clarence House office declined to comment on the reports. "We don't discuss William's private life, it's a matter for him," she said, on customary condition of anonymity, in line with policy.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplusw2000 View Post
wills and kate....dating again ??? oh my lord, here we go AGAIN.....
It's my fault. I made the mistake of mentioning out loud that it was shaping up to be a slow summer.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:12 AM

If it is true, it is bad. I hope it's not true. For Kate's sake mostly I hope the story is rubbish. That is always a bad thing for a woman to agree to. It is not good for one's self-respect, you know what I mean?
But on topic, it mentions that he is completed with the Bovington training.

Tags
prince william