Prince William Current Events 14: March-May 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Royal Fan, I think the reason I have trouble understanding the drinking and clubbing is that I've never done those things. I have no friends or family who drink any alcohol or go to clubs. I've tried to be understanding that some people have a fascination with that lifestyle but I think in this case it has gotten William into trouble he could have stayed out of had he participated in this type of activity to a slightly lesser degree. I know I am not the normal but moderation in all things goes a long way too.

kjrn said:
Actually Royal Fan, I think the reason I have trouble understanding the drinking and clubbing is that I've never done those things. I have no friends or family who drink any alcohol or go to clubs. I've tried to be understanding that some people have a fascination with that lifestyle but I think in this case it has gotten William into trouble he could have stayed out of had he participated in this type of activity to a slightly lesser degree. I know I am not the normal but moderation in all things goes a long way too.

That makes sense kjrn. You followed the example of those around you who didn't drink or go out.

William is in a different environment so he's following the example of those that are around him. Among Sandhurst graduates, drinking and clubbing are very much the norm and a way for the soldiers to bond and make friendships that will serve them when they have to depend on each other in combat.

I imagine they take these high risk activities because going to war in itself is such high risk. That's not an excuse for Williams and Harry's drinking as so many claim, overdrinking can be dangerous but its stating a fact of life for many military recruits.

Regardless, I think William has shown moderation in his drinking. There are very very few times when the press has gotten sneak pictures of him really making a fool of himself while drunk. Harry is the one who has lost all decorum at times.

My mother came from a teetotaling family where no one ever drank any alcohol for any occassion. Even the church communion wine was Welch's grape juice. She would never ever understand at all why anyone would take a drink ever for any reason.

But the way my mother was raised was different from the way William and several other people were raised. People grow up in different environments and what makes perfect sense (although a little stupid) in one environment is totally wrong in another.

I don't think you can bring together a teetotaler's view of the world and the view of someone who goes clubbing to socialize. There are too many differences there to bring the gap of understanding.

gardenia8 said:
I don't feel sorry for him. He might not have been paying attention to where his hand was but it is b/c he was drunk as a skunk! Why can't he just go out and have a couple of drinks. Why does he have to get hammered???

Yes many people can say that they have had too much on a rare occasion but when you are frequently being photographed coming out of clubs heavily inebriated it becomes a problem. I don't think peopple would be as sympathetic if Crown Pss. Victoria, or some other princess, was pictured doing the same.

Well, I just hope he can control his drinking habit. It has gotten him into a lot of troubles. He should be old enough to know what his responsibilities are and what not to do and what he can do in the public.

Sister Morphine said:
Casting aspersions on Catherine, are we? What has, in your eyes, shown Will's choice in Catherine to be "tasteless"?

What is so tasteless? Well, everything she does.... This girl (because the word woman does not fit her) does absolutely nothing...finished university and that's all. Ok, you can say that she doesn't have to work but what kind of a person is she that she is satisfied with shopping and vacationing????
She keeps complaining about the press and photographers....why did she then attend Celtenham with William grinning from ear to ear and went back a couple of days later with some hat on her head? Why did she wear bright red coat at his passing out parade? If I don't want to get noticed I awoid everything that would make me stand out from the crowed. Kate does want to be noticed...God knows why. And these are only her actions...I haven't talked about her appearance yet.... William could have any woman he wanted, though he is not handsome but rich and har power which can be very attractive to many women.
But again... maybe I too, should move to England have a half time job, go on holidays every second month, live in one of the best parts of London and buy an Audi.

Oh yeah!!! She is perfect queen material + absolutely stunning!!! :wacko:
Fortunately she will never be my queen.....

melike2 said:
What is so tasteless? Well, everything she does....

snip

But again... maybe I too, should move to England have a half time job, go on holidays every second month, live in one of the best parts of London and buy an Audi.

Oh yeah!!! She is perfect queen material + absolutely stunning!!! :wacko:
Fortunately she will never be my queen.....

Catherine has any right to live the way she lives. She can afford it, she is not breaking any law and she does behave like a decent citizen. So what's your problem with her? If you want to live a different life, then simply do it. But let her life her life as she deems it right. Wear mousegreys or browns but let her choose her colours. Stay at home if you prefer that but let her enjoy a day at the races...

Your comment about your move to London smells to me like naked jealousy - which would make it your problem, not Catherine's.

melike2 said:
but what kind of a person is she that she is satisfied with shopping and vacationing????
Normal! :rolleyes:

We're getting off the topic here, its Prince William's thread, NOT Ms. Middleton's!

Age old answer I know, but, lol.....the people of the United Kingdom pay for the royal box Kate enjoyed that day at the races. Kate's royal connections and publicity because of her royal connections got Kate the big discount on her audi. If Prince William and Kate find the relationship is too much for kate to handle, then I think they should move on. Without Prince William, Kate is not newsworthy and would be left alone.

Donna B.

Jo of Palatine said:
If you want to live a different life, then simply do it.

That is a wise thing to say. It is advice everyone can benefit from. If you want to change your life, change it. You've given me a happy thought for this morning. Thank you. :flowers:

Donna B. said:
Age old answer I know, but, lol.....the people of the United Kingdom pay for the royal box Kate enjoyed that day at the races.Donna B.
No, UK taxpayers didn't pay for the box used when William and Catherine attended the races. We don't pay for the Royal Box either. The course managers make them available to HM and her family, afaik. :flowers:

Buyers snub Ascot Royal box offer

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
No, UK taxpayers didn't pay for the box used when William and Catherine attended the races. We don't pay for the Royal Box either. The course managers make it available to HM and her family, afaik. :flowers:

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree.:flowers:

I think whatever taxes "people of the UK" have is their concern. < ed > I have a serious doubt about taxes paying for the royal box, though. I think the UK taxes might pay for things like the royal train because traveling on it is only for getting to engagements, but I think since Cheltenham is a private enjoyment for the royals, they have to pay for that from private purses. < ed >

Last edited by a moderator:
< ed > Now then, back here in Prince Williams thread, I am comletely confused. I have just clicked over from the Prince Harry thread and they are saying exactly the same thing about Harry as they are saying about William.

Except, course, in the Harry thread they believe it is the "good heir versus the bad spare". :rolleyes:

Well who'd have thunk it? Are both Princes hell raisers or what? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
CasiraghiTrio said:
I have a serious doubt about taxes paying for the royal box, though. I think the UK taxes might pay for things like the royal train because traveling on it is only for getting to engagements, but I think since Cheltenham is a private enjoyment for the royals, they have to pay for that from private purses. :ROFLMAO:
Whatever your leanings, I normally enjoy the intelligent discussions I have with you! :flowers: One of the many complaints people make against the royal family is their supposed use of taxpayers money, when in fact they are, as you can imagine assigned 'boxes' to watch the races, the theatre, opera, ballet etc. These are normally furnished to the Queens taste, comfy chairs, particular side tables etc. They are crowd pullers, attractions, there is always the slight hope that one of the royals will attend, unannounced.
So while William, Zara, Catherine, Mike and all their friends may have enjoyed the use of the royal box, it was, for the UK taxpayers a 'freebie'.

No different to the Royal Box at Wimbledon, which comes courtesy of the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, and costs "the taxpayers" precisely nothing.

Warren said:
No different to the Royal Box at Wimbledon, which comes courtesy of the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, and costs "the taxpayers" precisely nothing.
Can't you tell I am not keen on 'sports', I forgot all about Wimbledon! :ohmy:

At the SCG, where I am a member, the club officials have a box for their convenience, which is also used by the PM and any royal, or VIP, who might be visiting. It is the VIP box. The Queen also has access to the Long Room at Lords cricket ground (at the expense of the members of this club). MY point being that these sorts of places have a VIP area, but at some places in Britian they are referred to as the Royal Box as that is the most VIP that anyone can really be there - but they are not restricted to Britian and may have another title in other places.

These facilities are NOT paid for by the taxpayers but by the club/organisation who owns the facility (maybe through members dues of course) but definitely NOT the average taxpayer.

This isn't on the taxpayer topic I know. I wondered why (no names because I don't have any and am not suggesting anyone) it is so important for people to compare William and Harry and to make one of them seem better than the other. Why does there always have to be a good prince, bad prince theme? And why does there seem to be people who would seem to put down William because the papers seem to put down Harry (kind of a balancing thing in their mind)?

kjrn said:
This isn't on the taxpayer topic I know. I wondered why (no names because I don't have any and am not suggesting anyone) it is so important for people to compare William and Harry and to make one of them seem better than the other. Why does there always have to be a good prince, bad prince theme? And why does there seem to be people who would seem to put down William because the papers seem to put down Harry (kind of a balancing thing in their mind)?
Because Royal personages are not interesting as persons but as archetypical personages who have a function within the common subconcious due to their position. There's the good and the bad sister/brother archetype and there's Prince Charming and the Evil Lord. The media as well as authors are always trying to connect their stories to archetypical scenarios because that's what resound with the readers.

i believe the prince is behaving in moderation. i'm afraid the culture i live in is seeped in alcohol tradition. in texas it's not a barbq without the beer. in my experience in college it was the teetottlers from familiys it was forbidden to drink that turned out to be the drunks. the rest of us learned how to take responsibility for ourselves.( nothing like a tequila hangover to teach that one:wacko: ) i have some cousins who are alcohlics, both came from strict religious homes where no drinking was allowed EVER. so i know total abstinence isn't the key.
i don't know any young people in their 20's who don't push the limits a little bit, feel their boundaries, basically do stupid stuff. it's what your 20's are for, do all the dumb stuff that will get you fired or divorced in your 30's :lol:
my best friends cried to me the other day "i hate my kids" i told her to wait she'll like them again in their 30's. it's a right of passage, in my bachelorette days -to work by 8 party til 2 work by 8, 4-6 nights a week! i don't just mean bars (altho....) i mean museums, concerts, friends for dinner, films, road trips,if there was a hour there was something to do and we did it. biggest fun i've ever had in my life because i didn't have to answer to anyone. it is an impossible pace to keep up long, it'd certainly kill me now, but i was young and enjoying my life, learning, exploring becoming "me" (at least i'm not sitting here wondering what i missed, that would be a real bummer)
if the prince was drunk all the times we saw him, the FIRST time he shows up at an official function then i'll be worried because he will be silently asking for help. as a young man in his 20s, going off to war, in the pressure cooker, fish bowl life he has- this seems very minor and intrusive for the fuss. yes i know he has a big responsibility in the future but he's a young man, let him enjoy himself (as long as he isn't driving) he's the one that must learn the lesson that the "LENS" is always watching and behave in a manner you want on the front page of the papers. i love this young man, maybe i'm just being too lenient -but he is over 21 it's seems none of my business.

Good points bbb. I think we'll see less of the princes for a while because of the blowback from their latest antics. They're blowing off steam now, while their bodies can handle it, rather than in their mid-40s looking like idiots in the clubs. Harry is going to war where anything can happen God forbid. Let him have his fun before things get serious. Iraq is no day at the beach.

As for William, he has handled himself so well for so long, I'm not bothered by some these rather innocuous photos. For their own twisted reasons, some corners are blowing way out of proportion the pictures of him in the nightclub with those girls. It's obvious to me he was feeling good, the girls asked for pictures and he obliged them. End of story. The one girl later denied going back to barracks with him. Even if she did go, obviously nothing happened and she left. Kate got it right. She said women will always throw themselves at him and it is something that she handles brilliantly.

As for celebrating William and Kate's breakup, some people would be advised not to do the happy dance too soon. I suspect they will go undercover with their relationship to throw everyone off. I know I would lay low if I were Kate. We haven't seen pictures of her in days. Her lawyers are doing their jobs well. Good for her. I hope she enjoys the break/embargo. It won't last if she attends the Diana celebration in a few months.

Have I missed something? There seems to be specualation as to problems between the couple in this thread. Can someone fill me in?

Hmm, just found the article myself, and it appears that the only thing that Wills had to do with this girl was take a photo, likely at her request. According to this young woman, he did not do anything untoward.

Empress said:
Have I missed something? There seems to be specualation as to problems between the couple in this thread.
Sadly, hope springs eternal, in some minds! :sad:

When will William startthe driving part of the Troop Leaders Course?

Skydragon, absolutely.:lol:

Empress said:
Have I missed something? There seems to be specualation as to problems between the couple in this thread. Can someone fill me in?
The only thing you've missed Empress is jealousy inspired hate towards Kate Middleton, thankfully not here though.:lol: This is a lovely place, very nice posters and very good moderators. There is sometimes an attempted invasion, but it's snuffed out by sound reasoning and reality.

Last edited:
Luv2Cruise, I think you and I were separated at birth. You always say the things I want to say! :flowers:

These articles refer to the same event! :wacko:

William hailed as 'perfect gentleman' after pub gig

Prince William was a "perfect gentleman" when he took time out from his military training to visit a bar in a seaside town, it has been revealed.

William hailed as 'perfect gentleman' after pub gig | the Daily Mail

PRINCE ACCUSED OF GIG DISRUPTION

British royal PRINCE WILLIAM and his army friends have been accused of ruining an amateur musician's big break by disrupting his first gig.

PRINCE WILLIAM - PRINCE ACCUSED OF GIG DISRUPTION

Why do I think the papers are taking revenge on William for not getting publically engaged to Kate and giving them a decent uplifting story about the royals to write about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom