Prince William Current Events 16: June-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although many of these article turn out to be false, the concept of this one made sense to me. If he isn't making a career out of the military, he shouldn't spend too much time there. He'll need to move on to other responsibilities at some point.

William 'will quit Army early to learn how to be king' | the Daily Mail

I think it is good for him to try several things. Only by doing that will he find his footing and what matters most to him. His parents had to go through a lot of experiences before they came into their heartfelt passion causes, so to speak. I think 2009 seems a reasonable projected goal for becoming a fulltime royal. Between now and then, he can finish up all the military stuff: getting his RAF wings and all that.

A picture of the mystery girl (William changes shirt in background) who was, according to the text, keeping him company at polo.

IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

she looks a lot like chelsy:rolleyes:

btw has anyone been linked to william yet???? all my friends keep asking me since i'm the royalty watcher.

I've just cleared a bunch of birthday wishes out of this thread. Apparently nobody's bothered to read this announcement, which states, among other things, that "Later this month we'll be adding threads where birthday and anniversary wishes can be posted instead of being posted in the current-events and news threads. Until then, please be restrained in posting birthday and anniversary wishes in the regular threads, since it's rather tiresome to read post after post saying just "happy birthday!""

Since I know people will be wanting to post birthday wishes to Prince William, we're opening up the "Birthday and Anniversary wishes" thread a bit early in the British forum. It can be found here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/birthday-anniversary-wishes-12882.html

That's the thread for birthday wishes; this isn't. Please post news articles and other factual information about the birthday here, and post your birthday wishes in the other thread.

Thanks!

A commentator on one of the cable channels in the US made a comment last night that just seems ridiculous to me so I am coming here to the royal experts.:) She said that now that William is 25, he can marry anyone he wants without the Queens approval.:eek: Huh???? I thought all those in line for the throne had to have QE2s approval (especially those high up in rank). Wills is number 2 in line!!! How can he just be allowed to marry someone the Queen doesn't appove? I think this woman announcer has no clue. I also remember hearing that if a member of the royal family marries a Catholic they a bumped out of line. I'm not sure if that is still true, but if it is what happens if Wills marries a catholic?

The author of this helicopter story in the link acknowledges that this probably is not a true story since William is like his grandmother when it comes to money--she doesn't like to spend money unnecessarily.

recent Prince William articles

I found an article which claims that not only does Prince William get the interest on his inheritance upon turning twenty five, but also that once he's reached that age, he no longer has to get the Queen's permission to get married, lol. Here's the link to that story, for anyone who's interested:

Prince William Inherits, Harry still pinches pennies

*I don't know how true any of them are, but I thought them to be an interesting read. So I decided to share. Does anyone know if that "rule" about needing the Queen's permission to get married, is true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's sort of true, but it isn't as simple as that. Under the terms of the Royal Marriages Act, which goes back to the reign of George III in 1772, if he married without the Queen's consent when under 25, the marriage would be illegal and invalid; if the Queen doesn't give consent, there's nothing he can do. Once he's 25 and wants to marry without the Queen's consent, there is a way to do it, but it isn't easy. He has to give notice to the Privy Council of his intention to marry and then wait for a year. After the year is up, he can marry as long as Parliament hasn't passed an act during that year forbidding the marriage.

So, yes, if he's prepared to go through the formality of giving notice to the Privy Council, waiting for a year, and risking that Parliament won't intervene and probably cause a constitutional crisis in the process, he can marry without the Queen's consent. But it's by no means as simple as just saying "up yours, Granny," and skipping off to the nearest village church.

Hmm, that's interesting! I know a lot of people don't really agree with having parental consent for getting married, but, if you think about it, it does kinda make sense. A lot of the time these days you see marriages ending in divorce. To me when you seek parental approval of your spouse-to-be, you're asking them to decide if they think she'll fit in with you and your lifestyle and be a good match for your personality, etc. After all, the people who've known you your whole life and who raised you are the people who know you best, and they are likely to be the people who you will run to when the going gets rough, and if they like their in-law, they'll support the marriage. So, even though the Queen may not be his parent, she's still the head of the family, and she knows him probably better than any of us here or anyone he may get involved with and decide to marry.

That's just the benefits I see from the procedure you described there Elspeth. Not saying tho that this is the reason why those laws or procedures are there in the first place. I wonder who came up with the idea for that law anyway?

I wonder who came up with the idea for that law anyway?
The Royal Marriages Act of 1772 was introduced in response to the "unsuitable" marriage of the Duke of Cumberland. Up to that point there seems to have been no legal impediment to a British Prince or Princess marrying whoever they wished, so the RMA was a means for George III and the Parliament to gain some control over royal marriages.

For more detail, see Wikipedia, here.

Hmm, that's interesting! I know a lot of people don't really agree with having parental consent for getting married, but, if you think about it, it does kinda make sense.
The person your parents might approve of can turn out to be a nightmare for you to live with - Charles and Diana for instance.

The person your parents might approve of can turn out to be a nightmare for you to live with - Charles and Diana for instance.
You are correct but they had two wonderful children, I'am sure William will pick the right woman for him regardless of race or class.

she looks a lot like chelsy:rolleyes:

btw has anyone been linked to william yet???? all my friends keep asking me since i'm the royalty watcher.

Oh, of course. He's back together with Kate, except when he - you know - isn't. Thanks to the Daily Mail for that helpful update.

Hope that makes it all perfectly clear...:D

It seems virtually every paper in the UK is carrying the story of secret dates! :rolleyes:

From the IHT:

A spokeswoman for William's Clarence House office declined to comment on the reports. "We don't discuss William's private life, it's a matter for him," she said, on customary condition of anonymity, in line with policy.

wills and kate....dating again ??? oh my lord, here we go AGAIN.....

It's my fault. I made the mistake of mentioning out loud that it was shaping up to be a slow summer. :huh:

If it is true, it is bad. I hope it's not true. For Kate's sake mostly I hope the story is rubbish. That is always a bad thing for a woman to agree to. It is not good for one's self-respect, you know what I mean?
But on topic, it mentions that he is completed with the Bovington training.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom