The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandraRae
Correct me if I'm wrong here, Skydragon, but couldn't William serve IF his country needed him? Perhaps, not in the Iraqi war, but if there was let's say a WWIII (God forbid that should happen). I am sure there are situations were he could, I guess.
Yes he could be called to serve on the front line if it was really necessary. NI isn't the easiest option, if he does get posted there. Although Sinn Fein have for now sworn off violence, there is still the UDP & 'Real IRA' to contend with and the gangs that are prolific in the provinces.
The only point I was trying to make is that instead of condemning William for not being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, feel sorry for him that by accident of birth he is not allowed to do what he has been training for, alongside his brother.
In years to come, It won't be life shattering for the younger brother of the King to have been involved in these controversial campaigns, but I believe it would be difficult for the King to have been involved - and that is how far ahead the government/MOD thinks.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
The only point I was trying to make is that instead of condemning William for not being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, feel sorry for him that by accident of birth he is not allowed to do what he has been training for, alongside his brother.
I've been thinking about why all Crown princes and their brothers seem to be excellent soldiers - it's tradition, okay, but nowadays one might think there are other ways to serve their country as well.

I have nothing against them being soldiers, mind you, but still I wonder when I see the controversy in many other families between brothers about serving as soldier or serving in a civil help organization.

I believe now that it has to do with the way these princes grow up. From the moment of their birth, they have to accept Royal protection oficers close to them aevery time they leave their home. Their parents and nannies have to make sure that the young princes grow up feeling protected and not harrassed by this constant attention and shadowing. Thus I believe princes and princesses are told over and over again how important and "good" these protection officers are. So their view on police or military staff necessarily is a very positive one - plus the princes have positive role models around them on growing up. It must be fun, said my son lately, to have a sportif partner for playing football all the time...

So princes normally are well-trained as youngsters and have a positive image of the armed forces. No wonder a career in the military is normal for them.

And to second your argument, Skydragon: it must be terrible then not to be allowed to do what their role models are allowed: to actually risk their neck for their country. No pampered byos there but young adults with a sense of belonging to their country.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
In years to come, It won't be life shattering for the younger brother of the King to have been involved in these controversial campaigns, but I believe it would be difficult for the King to have been involved - and that is how far ahead the government/MOD thinks.
Thanks for the info Skydragon. And I agree with you about feeling sorry for him. After all, he did go through all that training and more than likely he will never really need it.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Gentry

Looks like another well deserved vacation for both. Lets hope it was during the weekend.
The Sun Online - News: Chills & Kate slope off on hol
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The Princes voicemail prank on the Queen

Prince William and Prince Harry reportedly pulled a prank on their grandmother the Queen, recording a fake message on her answering machine.

The Princes voicemail prank on the Queen
I think this is hysterical!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Courtier

more pics of william and kate skiing.. only three pics..
Fotobanka isifa image service
Old 03-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Nobility

What does everyone think were or are William and Kate really skiing in Zermatt, Switzerland?
Could these be old pictures that were just released and marked being brand new?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandraRae
Thanks for the info Skydragon. And I agree with you about feeling sorry for him. After all, he did go through all that training and more than likely he will never really need it.
Do we know that William wanted a career in the army and that's what he would have done long term if he wasn't who he is? He might; I just don't know. I have always thought his military training is just part of his training for his role in life. I have absolutely no foundation for that belief, it's just what I have assumed. William doesn't strike me as the soldier type, whereas Harry does.

I think the training he received at Sandhurst and continues to receive in the various services will be of immeasurable benefit to him in his future role and will certainly not be wasted.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Gentry

I have friends with family businesses. The children that are going to run the family business, get training in all areas of the business so that they can run it. I think this is the same for William. He is going into the family business and is expected to be in charge one day. He is getting training in all areas. Right now that training is military training with a few other assignments thrown in.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Nobility

They've gone skiing before in Zermatt, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't actually have gone this time.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpusa1981
What does everyone think were or are William and Kate really skiing in Zermatt, Switzerland?
Could these be old pictures that were just released and marked being brand new?
I believe they really went skiing. Hence the photos a few days ago of her leaving her flat with several large travel looking bags. It was obvious to me that she was leaving for a trip.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Nobility

Thank you Lizy!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Aristocracy

< ed > I love the princes' prank voicemail story.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Nobility

When is William going to begin his Troop Leader training?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
Do we know that William wanted a career in the army and that's what he would have done long term if he wasn't who he is? He might; I just don't know. I have always thought his military training is just part of his training for his role in life. I have absolutely no foundation for that belief, it's just what I have assumed. William doesn't strike me as the soldier type, whereas Harry does.
Most of the men and women going through Sandhurst, do so with the knowledge that they will have to serve a minimum of three years. I think if William had only wanted a 'taster', he would have applied for an undergraduate placement. William is probably not a soldier type, but he is definitely an officer type.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Rather than clog up the current events thread with the latest round of media excitement, I have moved those posts to the Engagement Rumours thread.

Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Courtier

Prince William and Kate slope off for a hug | the Daily Mail
Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Aristocracy

Who wants to bet that the majority of the comments will involve "lazy" or "taxes"?

(I don't know why I'm so obsessed with Daily Mail commenters, either.)
Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Courtier

The article mentioned that Guy Pelley was also there. Does anyone know if Guy Pelley comes from a prosperous family? And, what kind of occupation does Pelley have that affords him the opportunity to take expensive vacations etc. (not that I resent anything of him doing so) Just pondering.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Talking

One Minute Wonder - Prince William & Kate Middleton

"BESOTTED Kate Middleton beamed with delight yesterday as boyfriend Prince William lovingly held her in his arms.”

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william