Prince William Current Events 11: October-December 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the cover in E! and is great, Naturally we don't know if the story is true.

I got as far as,

"The top sport in England these days isn't football or polo, it's guessing when the prince will finally get engaged to his longtime girlfriend"

Another totally inaccurate article! The top sport at the moment, in case anyone would like to tell the 'author', is Christmas/Winterfest, interest rates, followed by the Ashes, etc! :rolleyes:

William and Kate made the cover of People. That's a first for them! Hope its not a sign of things to come for them in the American press.

Are William and Kate the one in ten?

As signs of a Royal engagement continue to grow, Kate Middleton has been given some unexpected encouragement to marry Prince William - by the university where the couple fell in love.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=420070&in_page_id=1770

ysbel said:
William and Kate made the cover of People. That's a first for them! Hope its not a sign of things to come for them in the American press.
The cover shot was only of William with a small inset photo of Kate. Since they've been photographed together so often, you'd think they would have picked one with them together.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There were some things written in the Times Online article that caught my eye.
I wonder how much of this is true, and whether or not this will make a difference when the winner is chosen?:

".......But the source played down the machinegun incident, saying the prince was intellectually and militarily so exceptional that he remained a strong contender for the Sword of Honour.
“He has really surprised his instructors with his ability to think on his feet,” the source said. “He is very sharp, very knowledgable. Some of the questions he asks have really impressed people
Prince William, who will also join the Blues and Royals, is said to be in the running for one or other of the two awards. He achieved exceptional results in the Sandhurst entry tests, while Harry’s results were average.
William gained an upper second class honours degree in geography at the University of St Andrews on the back of three A-levels at Eton.
He went on to achieve a seven, out of a maximum of 10, in the IQ test taken by all potential cadets.
Prince Harry by contrast scored only four in the IQ test and didn’t go to university."
I am interested to see if this makes a difference.

TonyaR said:
I wonder how much of this is true, and whether or not this will make a difference when the winner is chosen?:

".......But the source played down the machinegun incident, saying the prince was intellectually and militarily so exceptional that he remained a strong contender for the Sword of Honour.

To me, that is the one thing that should really matter! Not so good intellectually or militarily to lose a machine gun for 5 minutes, let alone over 2 hours and not have the courage or honour to report it's loss, at once!

If we were talking about any other cadet, it wouldn't matter how brilliant they are, how high their scores are, how many qualifications they have, they would NOT be in the running for any award, if they had misplaced a machine gun!

Still what am I talking about, ask any 'soldier' and they will tell you how unfair the Army is! :lol:

Skydragon said:
To me, that is the one thing that should really matter! Not so good intellectually or militarily to lose a machine gun for 5 minutes, let alone over 2 hours and not have the courage or honour to report it's loss, at once!

If we were talking about any other cadet, it wouldn't matter how brilliant they are, how high their scores are, how many qualifications they have, they would NOT be in the running for any award, if they had misplaced a machine gun!

Still what am I talking about, ask any 'soldier' and they will tell you how unfair the Army is! :lol:

So true. I wonder what the outcome will be. And, if the story was true that William was in such panic for two hours looking for the gun, why was he searching throughout the camp for the gun and nobody told him in was in the armory or he didn't bother to call to see if it was already turned in! It doesn't add up to me or the story hasn't been cleared up of what really happened that day.

Last edited:
Prince William current Events 13: October 2006-

Skydragon said:

Skydragon,when his brother was at this point in his training do you believe that Cadet now Cornet H.Wales Sword of Honour?

Last edited:
I hope William does not get it, honestly. This is not because I feel he doesn't deserve it. I'm sure he has worked hard and deserves to be honored by everyone for it, but I feel that giving him the top honor would be an insult to everyone else in training alongside with him. I feel that the reasons for doing it would be the wrong ones, that the reasons would be political rather than merit. Besides that, what does William need it for? He won't be going to the front line. There are people dying everyday who are not being honored. William has plenty of honor to receive. He will be king. So I hope this "Sword of honor" or any of the other prestigious awards being suggested actually do go to people who are both equally or more deserving and underappreciated.

I think he will probably get the honor. For the simple reason he is the second in line to the throne. It's the same reason Prince Charles got a promotion on his birthday. It's not PC but sure looks good on the front page.;) Just curious: do they do a special ceremony for the award or just part of the passing out parade?

Incas said:
I think he will probably get the honor. For the simple reason he is the second in line to the throne. It's the same reason Prince Charles got a promotion on his birthday. It's not PC but sure looks good on the front page.;) Just curious: do they do a special ceremony for the award or just part of the passing out parade?
If it's like in the US at West Point and for the other military academies, as well as 'boot camp,' then it'll be part of the passing out.

I sincerely hope that the Sword of Honour goes to someone who did not lose his machine gun.

I hope that the Sword of Honour goes to the best cadet in the class.

If the best cadet is William then he should get it otherwise the award is being awarded for the wrong reasons.

If William is not the best cadet then he shouldn't get it.

To give it to him because he is 2nd in line to the throne is wrong IMHO but it would be just as wrong to deny him the Sword of Honour, if he had really earned it, just because he is 2nd in line to the throne.

How could he possibly be considered the best cadet when, for 2 hours he did not know where the L86 LSW machine gun, (it fires 775 rounds per minute) he had signed for was?

How bad must the other cadets be, if they are not in line for the SoH? :eek:

Skydragon, the fact that even still rumors William puts into question in mind what actually happened to the lost or mis-placed L86 LSW machine gun. The question I have did the whole situation actually happened?
Even though Sandhurst and the MoD made releases about the lost or mis-placed light machine Gun.

I believe 100% that he did 'mislay' the machine gun.

Why would the MOD or RMAS make it up? With the 'new policy' of rebuttals, I am equally sure that if it was untrue, CH would have spoken out!

Skydragon said:
I believe 100% that he did 'mislay' the machine gun.

Why would the MOD or RMAS make it up? With the 'new policy' of rebuttals, I am equally sure that if it was untrue, CH would have spoken out!

Yes, CH would have spoken out about it as Prince William would be upset to have others think of him as forgetful of an important weapon on the 'loose' on base. I think CH was hoping it would just be swept under the rug, which it has up to a point as the media isn't talking too much about it anymore in their commentary regarding the SOH, unless I've been missing it.

Skydragon,when his brother was at this point in his training do you believe that Cadet now Cornet H. Wales was in the running for the Sword of Honour?

kpusa1981 said:
Skydragon,when his brother was at this point in his training do you believe that Cadet now Cornet H. Wales was in the running for the Sword of Honour?

I think, given his entrance exam points, that it is unlikely.

karla64 said:

Sense prevailed! Well done to JUO Robertson! :flowers:

Skydragon said:
Well done to JUO Robertson! :flowers:

David Robertson, from Inverness, will receive the Queen's Medal, the sword of honour has, I believe, gone to a FEMALE cadet! :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
Male or female, I think the point here is that it's gone to someone who actually deserves it and has earned it rather than it being handed to someone who hasn't been the best of cadets just because he'll be King one day.

Kate Middleton and Prince William leaving the Mahiki club in Mayfair
London, England - 08.12.06 - Tom Parker Bowles was there as well.

Click here: Kate and William

Last edited:
Time to close this thread.
The new thread can be found here.

Thanks to everyone, who contributed to this thread! :flowers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom