The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Very well put, I agree 100%. In my defence I would say that I was only answering ysbels' question and had presumed it was a justified and legal order from a reasonably sane C.O.
Understand completely. We colonials tend to charge off on a tangent from time to time. (In need of the written equivilent of a smack on the nose with a rolled up newspaper).:w00t2:

Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Understand completely. We colonials tend to charge off on a tangent from time to time. (In need of the written equivilent of a smack on the nose with a rolled up newspaper).:w00t2:

I wasn't telling you off! . Your reply is hilarious though. On a serious note

Wills goes Walkabout

Prince William enjoyed a night out in Reading at the weekend – but missed some of the sexiest sights the town has to offer.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/200...goes_walkabout

Old 10-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures taken of William on an army training exercise 25th September 2006 - Wireimage.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Quote:
Officers have been known to disobey orders and if they can't be 'encouraged' to back down, they are moved sideways or suffer a CM. They too have to follow the chain of command, it is very difficult for the officer as the forces, for officers, is like a gentlemans club, friends are soon very hard to find.

When William finishes and becomes a Coronet or whatever he becomes, will he necessarily outrank his fellow soldiers because of his position and then thus can disobey an order by his ranking CO? Anyone know this answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Nevertheless, there are illegal orders. Common sense has to prevail as in the theatre of war obeying an illegal order can result in nasty little 'War Crimes' tribunals!
Just obeying orders is no excuse. The Geneva Convention set the rules. Nuremberg, and the Court of the Hague continue to hold individual Officers responsible.

A leader of men is born not created. He is tempered by his military training but will exemplify those traits that will make his men follow him into hell (much to the chagrin of many of his superiors). It is earned and cannot be ordered or demanded.

It is unfortunate that most 'heroic' leaders are less than appreciated in a peace-time military. (TE Lawrence in North Africa, David Stirling's creation of the SAS also in WWII and a couple of very colorful caracters in these present theatres of war). More often than not they are radical thinkers, intensely patriotic and larger than life.

Whilst Prince William is born to be King, he will have to earn the 'Sword of Honour'. The men of the military, at their best, serve "For God, For Queen and For Country", not young princelings. Anything less would dishonour the very traditions that make the Army what it is and must be. It is a lifestyle choice, not a hobby.

Very well spoken, Marge. I totally agree with you. There are many who would want him to be handed the sword and respect without earning it and that creates resentment especially amongst soldiers that really deserve it. However, I will still be looking for favoritism if he should be awarded it because there were also soldiers within his troop that may have worked extra hard with longer hours, while William whiled away with our favorite redhead in some bar. In addition, those other soldiers may have behaved in such a way to bring respect and honour to the uniform while in their off hours or breaks.

Quote:
Quote:
Wills goes Walkabout

Prince William enjoyed a night out in Reading at the weekend – but missed some of the sexiest sights the town has to offer.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/200...goes_walkabout

It may not be any importance, but newspapers using stock photos with stories do not get my respect. It's obvious that this picture of Wills was taken on the day he reported to Sandhurst for training. Just thought I'd point that out, well..... because I had nothing else to say about it.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
When William finishes and becomes a Coronet or whatever he becomes, will he necessarily outrank his fellow soldiers because of his position and then thus can disobey an order by his ranking CO? Anyone know this answer?
No he won't outrank other officers of the same rank at any time just because of who he is, although if he was staying for 3 years or more, he would be given more responsibility than someone who has only just passed out, if he is seen as a good officer. He also can't disobey an order from any senior rank because of who he is and who he may one day be, Charles and Andrew had to obey orders.

I think a lot people will think, if he gets the SoH, that it is only because of who he is. I stand by the post I put a few days ago - "To award it to William based on who he is, could deprive someone who has worked really hard, who has given his all and cause lasting resentment among the very officers that William may someday rely on if he becomes Head of all the British armed forces".
Old 10-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Very well put, I agree 100%. In my defence I would say that I was only answering ysbels' question and had presumed it was a justified and legal order from a reasonably sane C.O.
Oh dear me, you mean I was guilty of taking the thread off tangent?

Thanks for the answer skydragon. :)

We have a lot of situations where I work where a group of equally qualified persons are in competition for something, either a job, a promotion, or an award. The means of choosing the one out of the many is not scientific at best. I think what would be interesting would be if William were in a group of equally suited candidates. What would happen then? If he did get the sword, it could smack of favoritism but if he didn't, I wonder if it would smack of reverse prejudice.

Probably not an enviable situation for the selecting committee.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
....I think what would be interesting would be if William were in a group of equally suited candidates. What would happen then? If he did get the sword, it could smack of favoritism but if he didn't, I wonder if it would smack of reverse prejudice.

Probably not an enviable situation for the selecting committee.

The situation you speak of also happens in hiring situations as well. I also wouldn't want to be on the selecting committee as there may be others on the committee who may want to lean one way or the other because of their own agenda thus creating pressure on my vote to vote a certain way.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Commoner

Wills goes to bingo

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...60147,,00.html
Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Courtier

it's prince william goes Bingo Night.. Did he win?????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/uk_news/5404966.stm
Old 10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Wills join fellow cadets for a night at the bingo
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...rince-william/
Old 10-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Interesting I Wouldnt have took him for a bingo fan :)
Old 10-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Interesting I Wouldnt have took him for a bingo fan :)
They probably went there for a 'laugh'.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Nobility

I have a comment about Prince William receiving the Sword of Honour:

I genuinely believe that he isn't the sort of person that would want to receive an honour he didn't earn.
Prince Harry was up for consideration for the S of H, but as we know he didn't receive it. I think he didn't receive it because it was decided that he didn't meet all the criteria necessary. It could be that Prince William will be found lacking for the same reason.

The thing is, we haven't actually seen or heard of any unbecoming behaviour.
Prince William has been seen out and about very late at night, but he wasn't seen in a drunken or disorderly state.
There are no valid accounts of him behaving in a manner that would be considered truly unseemly or unbecoming to an officer. Although he did dress up in an outrageous costume, he was attending a fancy dress party with other soldiers and it was considered acceptable under the circumstance. Weird, but acceptable .

Looking back at all of the tabloid stories about Prince William since he entered Sandhurst in January, he hasn't actually done anything that would be considered wrong other than breaking curfew. (I could be mistaken about that, Skydragon please correct me if I am )

The numerous Polo matches he participated in for charity could be called questionable, but I find it hard to believe he would have been able to participate in those matches without proper approval given from his superiors.

As far as the other criteria are concerned, we don't know if William meets the requirements or not. It could be that he is considered to be a good leader by his men. He was the leader of various sport teams at Eton and St. Andrews, so maybe actually does he possess the ability to lead and inspire his fellows. By all accounts he certainly is down to earth with his fellow cadets, there have been different accounts of his fellow cadets saying that he was 'one of the boys' and that they liked him.
Again, he really may be found lacking, and not be given the award because of that.
However, if it turns out that he is given the award, I would like to think it would only be because those who make the decision had decided he earned it.
I would want to give those men the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they considered him honestly and without prejudice or favouritism.

Anything less would be demeaning to the men who had received the honour previously, and demeaning to Prince William as well.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Courtier

Wills night out at pizzaexpress

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006460323,00.html
Old 10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64
I'm glad people let him alone and let them enjoy the evening.

Is this unusual? Did Charles or Anne or Andrew or Edward go out to ordinary restaurants for a meal with friends like this? What Edward did is probably not as relevant though because he's a more junior member of the Family whereas William is expected to be King one day.

I was thinking that maybe William wants to get the public used to seeing him doing ordinary things like this, in the hope he can live a slightly more informal lifestyle than earlier generations of Royals. Pure speculation on my part though.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Actually, I was just thinking the other day that that photo of William and Kate sharing loving looks at the nightclub a few weeks ago is something you'd never have seen with Charles.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Capt booted from Will's college
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006460246,00.html
Old 10-06-2006, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I'm glad people let him alone and let them enjoy the evening.

Is this unusual? Did Charles or Anne or Andrew or Edward go out to ordinary restaurants for a meal with friends like this? What Edward did is probably not as relevant though because he's a more junior member of the Family whereas William is expected to be King one day.
The older ones all went out to restaurants, shopping and 'normal' things, IMO. I believe they had more opportunity to do things on the spur of the moment. The world was different then, the media did not chase them around, people did not have tiny cameras or phone cameras, they were treated with a lot more reverence than most people show nowadays. The chances of getting mugged, shot or stabbed were more remote.

I think they were all very careful about being photographed in a clinch with a casual opposite sex friend.

Poor William and Harry, doomed to live out their lives under the media spotlight!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyesonarmani
This article is far less serious than the recent posts on this thread but somewhat amusing, even if the image is quite disturbing.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/1,,2006420245,00.html
They pasted William's face over that summer 2001 photo of Charlotte Casiraghi (the bikini, the pose, the body, the way the head was turned matches exactly). haha, Charlotte's body and William's face! Though they pretty much used his arms actually.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

William to turn his back on Army for life as a park ranger

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...=1766&ito=1490

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william