Prince William Current Events 10: September-October 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queens said:
I do not mean to be rude... but William's head looks soooo BIG... I guess its the way they took the photo :rolleyes: .

William looks so sweet with the baby! :wub:

Yeah, his head looks big probably because of his current haircut.. with his previous haircut, he looked fine.

BeatrixFan said:
Well, no it doesn't actually. I still haven't seen any work. I don't call bayoneting hay-filled sacks and visiting one hospital a glittering career or a heavy workload. Then again, he'll never have my approval so he might as well do what he likes!

Yeah, you're right. When I think "lazy hazy days of summer" I think "Army training." Sheesh.

Chiyo said:
Yeah, you're right. When I think "lazy hazy days of summer" I think "Army training." Sheesh.

Someone else who has clearly suffered at the hands of the instructors! Still I suppose marches wearing a full pack, grubbing down on exercises, cleaning your boots, rifles etc is a walk in the park to some! :wacko: :lol:

Skydragon said:
Someone else who has clearly suffered at the hands of the instructors! Still I suppose marches wearing a full pack, grubbing down on exercises, cleaning your boots, rifles etc is a walk in the park to some! :wacko: :lol:

Going through this training is definitely making Prince William pay his dues in preparation for the greater demands & expectations he will have to endure as future heir to the throne. IMO.

mw7060a said:
Going through this training is definitely making Prince William pay his dues in preparation for the greater demands & expectations he will have to endure as future heir to the throne. IMO.

It's the discipline that he learnt from those army training days that he will hopefully not forget and bring to the throne.:)

Prince tramps 8 miles with a 66lb pack as colleagues drop out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=406988&in_page_id=1770

If Prince William thought things were going to get easier as he nears the end of his Army officers' course at Sandhurst, he was sadly mistaken.
The 24-year-old was left gasping for breath and soaked in sweat as he took part in an eight-mile endurance test.
But he fared far better than some of the other 30 officer cadets, who had to be pulled out of the gruelling manoeuvre. William and the rest of his platoon tramped through woods in Camberley, Surrey, each carrying an SA 80 rifle and a backpack weighing 66lb - more than four stone.
A source said: "The packs weigh as much as a small child but this time next year these men could be leading their troops out to battle and it's crucial that they are supremely fit and at the top of their game."
There's a picture at the link!

Good for Prince William! It's nice to see him putting forth the effort. Of course all of the other young men work just as hard, but it's nice that he's able to keep up and hold up his end of the bargain.
I think if we keep watching him we'll all end up being pleasantly surprised and pleased with the man he will eventually become.

TonyaR said:
Good for Prince William! It's nice to see him putting forth the effort. Of course all of the other young men work just as hard, but it's nice that he's able to keep up and hold up his end of the bargain.
I think if we keep watching him we'll all end up being pleasantly surprised and pleased with the man he will eventually become.

Totally agree with you, TonyaR. I've always felt that Harry was a natural soldier. Tough and full of grit; whereas, William a little softer and more brainy. I'm glad to see him tough his soldiering out.:)

There were roumers about Prince Harry getting the Sword of Honour and he did not. What do you all think aout this ? SkyDragon what is what with this roumer?

Last edited:
kpusa1981 said:
There were roumers about Prince Harry getting the Sword of Honour and he did not. What do you all think aout this ? SkyDragon what is what with this roumer?

Anything is possible, but as kpusa1981 said, we had the same rumours with Harry. Personally I don't think, from what I have see, that he would deserve it. Although he got a marksman badge, I don't think he is half the soldier that Harry is. :flowers:

Skydragon said:
Anything is possible, but as kpusa1981 said, we had the same rumours with Harry. Personally I don't think, from what I have see, that he would deserve it. Although he got a marksman badge, I don't think he is half the soldier that Harry is. :flowers:

What do you mean from what you have seen he wouldn't deserve the Sword of Honour?
What qulifies an officer cadet for it?
sorry if I have spelling mistakes.

Remember, this is apparantly a future King so he'll probably get the Sword of Honour for the sake of having it.

kpusa1981 said:
What do you mean from what you have seen he wouldn't deserve the Sword of Honour?
What qulifies an officer cadet for it?
sorry if I have spelling mistakes.

I shouldn't worry too much about your spelling, :flowers: the British/English spelling is 'qualifies'.

Some of the normal criteria for judging who gets the sword of honour are little things like attendance, excellence in all aspects of the training, an ability to inspire and lead your fellow cadets, a commitment 'over and beyond' what you are told to do, the ability to 'think on your feet', natural leadership qualities and, of course, being properly attired and looking smart at all times. Even off duty behavior is taken into account.
I hope it is judged fairly, IMO, he has had a lot of time off for polo, a couple of charity events and he has been seen drinking till all hours. :)

Skydragon said:
I shouldn't worry too much about your spelling, :flowers: the British/English spelling is 'qualifies'.

Some of the normal criteria for judging who gets the sword of honour are little things like attendance, excellence in all aspects of the training, an ability to inspire and lead your fellow cadets, a commitment 'over and beyond' what you are told to do, the ability to 'think on your feet', natural leadership qualities and, of course, being properly attired and looking smart at all times. Even off duty behavior is taken into account.
I hope it is judged fairly, IMO, he has had a lot of time off for polo, a couple of charity events and he has been seen drinking till all hours. :)

But isn't it tradition that the future king, who in former times would have been the absolute commander of all troups should be an officer worth his position? I mean, it's okay that it's an inherited position and that the reality isn't always so, but shouldn't at least the image be upheld that he is? For the sake of the monarchy?

Isn't there an old tradition in the armed forces as well that you have to obey an order under any circumstances while you are of course nowadays entitled to complain later (here in Germany you have to sleep one night at least before you are allowed to file a complain)?

I mean, for me it would make sense to award this Sword of Honour to William because he is who he is in order to keep the idea of the military intact - no matter if he deserves it or not.

Other opinions?

Here in the UK forces, there is always a marked difference between officers and ordinary ranks. They always say Officers and their Ladies, men and their wives. Soldiers have to obey an order, whether they agree with it or not, if they want to complain afterwards, they complain to their immediate superior who may choose not to take it forward, life can be made so intolerable for a 'troublemaker', that they give up the complaint.

Whether William gets the sword or not, should be based solely on his capabilty to lead his men, to inspire them, to make the right decisions for them, to give orders that will not be questioned because everyone believes the only reason he got the SoH, was only because he is Prince William.

To award it to William based on who he is, could deprive someone who has worked really hard, who has given his all and cause lasting resentment among the very officers that William may someday rely on if he becomes Head of all the British armed forces.

Skydragon said:

Well Skydragon,

Judging by your (intelligent as usual) comments :) , Prince William actually qualifies for some of the criteria and he doesn't qualify for others. He may be good at thinking on his feet and leading and inspiring his men;
we've been told by the media, etc. that he is currently excelling in both the academic and the physical training, but it's obvious that he doesn't always qualify for the 'being properly attired and looking smart at all times' portion of the criteria!!:ROFLMAO:
Nor would he want anyone to look too closely at his 'off duty behaviour'. In all seriousness, I do hope that Prince William continues to work hard and actually manages to meet all requirements for the Sword of Honour. I actually believe he wouldn't want the award if he didn't earn it.

Just a random thought, I wonder if he uses cleansing cream to remove the camouflage? :ROFLMAO:

Skydragon said:
Just a random thought, I wonder if he uses cleansing cream to remove the camouflage? :ROFLMAO:

Be glad if he doesn't get used to using make-up... :lol:

Boring...

I will only be sure with the official announcements:lol:

rumors sux

karla64 said:
British bookmaker slashes odd on Prince William proposing to Kate??? :wacko:

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060929/afp/060929150948people.html

It seems that his army career has already ben mapped out for William and I don't believe that the RF is going to risk another "army wife" problem like the one of Sarah and Andrew, especially not with the wife of the future Prince of Wales. Thus, William won't get married till he finishes his army career.

Could be of course that he does not want to do the military years and marrying could be a way to avoid part of it. Then, we'll see him married before that but retired for a career as a papa from it. I guess the British would accept that choice more eagerly than him just "selling his commission".

Skydragon said:
Soldiers have to obey an order, whether they agree with it or not, if they want to complain afterwards, they complain to their immediate superior who may choose not to take it forward,

Hi skydragon,

When you refer to soldiers here, are you just referring to enlisted men? I think it would be very unusual if officers had the liberty of disobeying an order from a higher ranked officer.

This is truly shocking, i feel sad reading some like this and the worst part is because this situation happens all the time with many women.

ysbel said:
Hi skydragon,

When you refer to soldiers here, are you just referring to enlisted men? I think it would be very unusual if officers had the liberty of disobeying an order from a higher ranked officer.

Officers have been known to disobey orders and if they can't be 'encouraged' to back down, they are moved sideways or suffer a CM. They too have to follow the chain of command, it is very difficult for the officer as the forces, for officers, is like a gentlemans club, friends are soon very hard to find. :rolleyes:

Skydragon said:
Officers have been known to disobey orders and if they can't be 'encouraged' to back down, they are moved sideways or suffer a CM. They too have to follow the chain of command, it is very difficult for the officer as the forces, for officers, is like a gentlemans club, friends are soon very hard to find. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, there are illegal orders. Common sense has to prevail as in the theatre of war obeying an illegal order can result in nasty little 'War Crimes' tribunals!
Just obeying orders is no excuse. The Geneva Convention set the rules. Nuremberg, and the Court of the Hague continue to hold individual Officers responsible.

A leader of men is born not created. He is tempered by his military training but will exemplify those traits that will make his men follow him into hell (much to the chagrin of many of his superiors). It is earned and cannot be ordered or demanded.

It is unfortunate that most 'heroic' leaders are less than appreciated in a peace-time military. (TE Lawrence in North Africa, David Stirling's creation of the SAS also in WWII and a couple of very colorful caracters in these present theatres of war). More often than not they are radical thinkers, intensely patriotic and larger than life.

Whilst Prince William is born to be King, he will have to earn the 'Sword of Honour'. The men of the military, at their best, serve "For God, For Queen and For Country", not young princelings. Anything less would dishonour the very traditions that make the Army what it is and must be. It is a lifestyle choice, not a hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom