The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

And it is being re-published here! The pot calling the kettle black perhaps.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
I think it's both funny and sad that the Daily Mail changed the story's headline to focus on glimps of Kate's bra: Royal wardrobe malfunction for Kate Middleton as the hairy one to the throne looks on | Mail Online. The headline was "Late Night Date for Kate Middleton and Her Prince (but what's with the beard)", which was focused on William's beard. The byline was "Daily Mail Reporter", which means anonymous. In another time, the writer (male or female) would be called lecherous.
Yeah, the focus is sad, but I'm glad I saw the pics. And the "malfunction" is not even as embarrassing as it could get. I mean, look how lecherous the tabs have gone on Diana and Camilla. Kate got off easy, I'd say. It sucks though.
I like Pippa's coat a lot.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Kate's probably learnt a lesson about necklines . It's no big deal though; we've seen her in a bikini.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
How can a photograph be commented on if we don´t see it? Some thought th photograph perfectly all right and others not, if we didn´t see it we could think it was something absolutely outrageous, it is not, and we have seen for ourselves. What is calling the kettle black about that?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that if Kate choses to offer the paps a low neckline they will take the opportunity. That's how they make money. So basically it's Kate decision - if she wants to see her bra in the papers the next day she'll dress low neckline. If she doesn't, she'll wear a turtleneck sweater. It's as easy as that. Considering her position as girlfriend and her experiences with the media in the past eight years the only conclusion is that Kate doesn't mind showing off her bra or a low neckline or a short skirt and because she knows exactly what will happen and she likes the attention resulting from such pictures. If she didn't she would dress or behave in a different way. To blame the paps is just pathetic.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Good heavens, perhaps she should only wear a high necked top and ankle length skirt in future. Then there would be complaints that she dared to show her ankle. She is a young woman who is, as far as we know, dating the heir to the heir. Just like most other young women she wants to wear a fashionable outfit she is comfortable in and perhaps the criticism would be better directed at the low lifes who lay in wait, push their way to the front/lean in to take these pictures. Even if she wore a blouse with all but one button fastened, she would be 'asking for it'!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Am I missing something? There's not even a direct link to that photo on the board, just a link to the Mail article online with several photos, that one among them. I don't think we're being hypocritical.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 12-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
And the "malfunction" is not even as embarrassing as it could get.
That's very true. The british public will be relieved to see that Kate Middleton at least does wear a bra. However, that doesn't distract from the fact that it's still a vulgar or cheap attidude from someone who obviously aims to become a Queen consort to allow such pictures to be taken. On the other hand, we've seen Kate's panties before, this time it's her bra, what's new.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
However, that doesn't distract from the fact that it's still a vulgar or cheap attidude from someone who obviously aims to become a Queen consort to allow such pictures to be taken.
Definitely. She should have bludgeoned the photographers right then and there.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that if Kate choses to offer the paps a low neckline they will take the opportunity. That's how they make money. So basically it's Kate decision - if she wants to see her bra in the papers the next day she'll dress low neckline. If she doesn't, she'll wear a turtleneck sweater. It's as easy as that. Considering her position as girlfriend and her experiences with the media in the past eight years the only conclusion is that Kate doesn't mind showing off her bra or a low neckline or a short skirt
So far I agree with you. Catherine obviously chose the outfit so it is safe to assume that she likes it.

Quote:

and because she knows exactly what will happen and she likes the attention resulting from such pictures.
That is your interpretation. Yours and yours alone. To me this is quite telling! As if you were never young and never enjoyed life without bothering about all those people around you!

Quote:
If she didn't she would dress or behave in a different way. To blame the paps is just pathetic.
Of course. i won't say more but this is just a variation of "They brought it onto themselves by not doing this and that...." which has for eons been used as arguments to belittle victims on turning them into active counterparts in actions aimed to humiliate them.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post

Of course. i won't say more but this is just a variation of "They brought it onto themselves by not doing this and that...." which has for eons been used as arguments to belittle victims on turning them into active counterparts in actions aimed to humiliate them.
I am sorry but I can´t understand what you are saying here perhaps you would set it out a bit more clearly. Not the eons part, I understand that.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
That is your interpretation. Yours and yours alone. To me this is quite telling! As if you were never young and never enjoyed life without bothering about all those people around you!
Yes I was but never dating a future heir to the throne I am afraid, living with the certainty that dozens of paparazzis would be around to take a compromising shot if given the opportunity, what could not only harm my public image but also the image of the institution I might be a represantative of one day.

Quote:
And I won't say more than that is your interpretation. Yours and yours alone.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yes I was but never dating a future heir to the throne I am afraid, living with the certainty that dozens of paparazzis would be around to take a compromising shot if given the opportunity, what could not only harm my public image but also the image of the institution I might be a represantative of one day.
I really don't see how photos like this could possibly harm the image of the monarchy. Kate does need a bit of advice about necklines and how to enter and leave a vehicle when one is almost certain to be photographed doing it, but otherwise I think most people are going to feel sympathy towards her and antipathy towards the vultures who lie in wait with their motordrives in hand hoping to get a shot of their undies or some other "malfunction" which will embarrass their quarry.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would think this kind of image would do more harm to Kate than to the monarchy, she isn´t in the BRF yet and I am sure there is much interest from all quarters in what is being said (and shown) about her by the press. I actually don´t find much wrong with her wardrobe malfunction but if the press shows this kind of photograph and criticizes her there will be plenty of people in the royal circle taking notice.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Royal Highness

Hmm...I posted the link because of the change in how Daily Mail rewrote the piece with a new angle. Didn't think it would turn into a debate on how Kate should dress. Based on the "she asked for it" comments, I'm sorry I posted. Guess the girl should be grateful there isn't a morality police around to demand she put on a burqa because she had the termarity to date a prince.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I am sorry but I can´t understand what you are saying here perhaps you would set it out a bit more clearly. Not the eons part, I understand that.
I'm German and in our past this was used to explain why "we" did not like people of another faith/race. So of course after the war this attitude was something Germans were taught to be sensitive about and with good reason!

You simply can't say because someone is caught in a moment not to her advantage by paparazzi that she is "indecent" or "that she brought it on herself" when she did not build the car/taxi whatever which forced her to go out that way. It is exactly the same way of thinking that goes against the victims of sexual harrassment either. While I personally wish Catherine Middleton would wear a different style of clothes, she should not, IMHO, being made responsible for the pics that were printed. This is the responsibility of the editor alone!
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

As far as I can see (excuse the pun), the coat Kate Middleton is wearing over her dress happens to have buttons.
Maybe something here might give her the idea that using buttons to button a coat could actually be a smart move.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Courtier

Her style has gotten better over time...I like her latest outfit at Whisky Mist.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, exactly, Jo! The editor could have taken the high road and not published that picture. But I suppose that he/she decided that people will buy a paper with a picture of Kate's bra.

Quote:
This is the responsibility of the editor alone!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
such appearances are harmful for kate's image because the public will see the bra pictures and think ok she's no better than lily allen etc all these pseudo-celebrities who like flashing off their underwear on a night out to ensure they'll make headlines the next day.
I think the va st majority of British people will not bat an eyeleid when they see the picture of Kate. There is nothing particularly revealing about it, just a bit of Kate's bra. Whats the big deal? Its hardly like she went someplace with no knickers on, and provided the photographers of evidence of doing so.

Tags
kate middleton, prince william