Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 6: August-November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of everyone claiming credit, I think credit should be given to Kate alone for both the work she does for her parents' company and for connecting with Starlight Foundation. She has always come across as a lady with an independent mind. I doubt she has been swayed by the silly pieces from Daily Mail and co.

As to that so called friend, it's amazing he was able to quote Kate verbatim, couched in such thoughtfulness as "everyone just wants you to be happy". Really! Have he seen the papers lately? In fact, I have said the exact same things as Kate to people I haven't kept in touch, intensionally or not. It's so convenient his gets to put his face in the article and promote his new album. With friends like that, I'd avoid him with a ten foot pole too.

Blabbing to the DM he has proven exactly why he is not a friend of Kate's anymore. How desperate to basically beg her to be his friend via national papers. I'd be so embarrassed to do that just to plug my band...

This from the article -

Jules Knight, who studied art history alongside Kate at St Andrews University and lived next door to Prince William, claims several people are 'upset' the 26-year-old appears to have 'made a conscious decision' not to stay in touch.-- Snipped-- 'It's not like they want to be friends with Kate because of her position, the fact that she's going out with Prince William. I don't want this to sound like sour grapes.

One way for him to get extra publicity for his boy band I suppose, after all, any one of them could have telephoned or written to Catherine. :bang:Everyone else does, so why not Catherine?:lol::lol:

This really bugs me, does Jules really keep in touch with all the friends he made at the University? People grow up and move on. You keep some friends but not others.

As to that so called friend, it's amazing he was able to quote Kate verbatim, couched in such thoughtfulness as "everyone just wants you to be happy". Really! Have he seen the papers lately? In fact, I have said the exact same things as Kate to people I haven't kept in touch, intensionally or not. It's so convenient his gets to put his face in the article and promote his new album. With friends like that, I'd avoid him with a ten foot pole too.

No kidding ... a guy who's willing to disparage a former friend so that he can get his own name in the papers and earn a little publicity for himself? Gee, I wonder why Kate may have decided not to keep in touch with that one...

I was so disappointed when I read the family call her Kate, it sounds so ... downmarket to me. If she marries William, lets hope that she is called Princess Catherine. :flowers:

Wonderful that the Middletons have been able to show the story about call me Catherine was a total fabrication, I wonder which rag it started in?:rolleyes:

Didn't the Duchess of Kent's family call her Kate, or am I misremembering?

I think it's wonderful that Kate and Party Pieces have "come out" a bit to clarify Kate's involvement in the business in the past year. Of course naysayers will continue to scream PR, which it probably is, but that doesn't take away the fact that Kate has likely been contributing to Party Pieces by organizing their website and catalogues, introducing new lines and products, and inspiring charity involvement. And as much as I admire the RF's "no comment" policy on almost anything and everything, sometimes one has to set things straight, especially for someone as hunted and bullied as Kate for keeping silent all these years. I imagine it to be terrifying to have the free world talk about you and not being able to talk back. Besides, I don't consider these touches in the PP website vulgar... it's not like Kate has her face plastered in every single page. I actually think it's quite tasteful.

And then one has to keep in mind that unless one knows what to look for (thanks to those who provided the links :flowers: ), one wouldn't come across that information in the first place. I mean how many people would have visited the Party Pieces website to find information about Kate? This is pretty much the only mouthpiece they have since they are not supposed to talk to the press. If you google Kate Middleton you won't even find that site. So it certainly is an attempt to put the record straight (and who can blame them? Who would want to be called names because people have a completely wrong perception?) but it is far from being over the top PR.

Didn't the Duchess of Kent's family call her Kate, or am I misremembering?
Not sure, I always thought when she married it was the more formal Katherine besides would anyone have felt the same respect for Princess or Queen Liz? :D Family always seems to have their own name alterations.

It really doesn´t matter what the family call a child in private, the problem here is the Press that pick up a name and use it until it becomes a household word. Does anyone think that Di was the name that her family called her? Shy Di? The very first name we heard in relation to Miss Middleton was Kate, so far she isn´t anything more than a Prince´s girlfriend, perhaps later on she can request the more formal Catherine (beautiful name BTW) but I think she won´t have much luck. Marry or not as far as the Press is concerned she is Kate.

Not sure, I always thought when she married it was the more formal Katherine besides would anyone have felt the same respect for Princess or Queen Liz? :D Family always seems to have their own name alterations.

Among the family ( royals too) the Duke and Duchess of Kent are known as Eddie and Kate.

Among the family ( royals too) the Duke and Duchess of Kent are known as Eddie and Kate.
Whatever it is reported they call one another in private, (snookums possibly ;)) the same point applies. Would the same respect have been shown for all these years to Queen Liz. It will do no good to try to change the media after an engagement especially if the 'public' seem to act like sheep!

A family name is just that, a family name and nobody should be accepting of a media given name. Diana hated being called Di, Anne would remove your head if you call her Annie.

You just made me shiver Sky. Just the thought of calling Princess Anne anything else is just too frightening for words.:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they do not read royal online forums on weekends to gather information hence the news had to wait till Tuesday. :lol:

So Rebecca English is just rehashing what Nathan Kay wrote on Saturday, with a few screenshots from the Party Pieces website? I can't see that there's anything new in that article -- even the Emma Samms interview was posted by the Mail on the weekend.

Wasn't it arleady mentioned that the Queen's intimates call her Lillibet? What does it matter exactly? A name is a name is a name.
Only social climbers change their names trying to "belong" to a different station in life. One's accent, their vocabulary, gestures can betray their origins regardless what they call themselves.
(This is a general observation and has nothing to do with Kate)

Wasn't it arleady mentioned that the Queen's intimates call her Lillibet? What does it matter exactly? A name is a name is a name.
Only social climbers change their names trying to "belong" to a different station in life. One's accent, their vocabulary, gestures can betray their origins regardless what they call themselves.
(This is a general observation and has nothing to do with Kate)
Again the question would world leaders regard HM as credible if she was known as Lillibet, (which was only used in her childhood by family and close friends, afaik)? Many girls from all walks of life are known by shortened versions or nicknames of their names, many regardless of class ask that they are called by their 'proper' name as they mature and IMO it has nothing to do with social climbers, (many of whom I have met called Johnny, Freddy, Eddie, Vicki, Steph etc).

Accent or vocabulary can indeed suggest one's origins, however there are many from the upper class who sound as if they were brought up in the gutter!

Last edited:
Again the question would world leaders regard HM as credible if she was known as Lillibet, (which was only used in her childhood by family and close friends, afaik)? Many girls from all walks of life are known by shortened versions or nicknames of their names, many regardless of class ask that they are called by their 'proper' name as they mature and IMO it has nothing to do with social climbers, (many of whom I have met called Johnny, Freddy, Eddie, Vicki, Steph etc).

Accent or vocabulary can idea suggest one's origins, however there are many from the upper class who sound as if they were brought up in the gutter!

Let me just say that Queens like HM Q Elizabeth and Queen Sofia no matter what they are called, they can freeze someone at 15 yards since they know who they are and where they stand.
With regard to the world leaders, nowdays anyone can climb to the top somehow and if I were one of them (Queens) I would not worry for a second about them.
Then someone from the low classes can aquire wealth, practice a fake accent, buy some pearls and a cashmere twin set and think she is fooling the masses.
Still, let's go back to the time William and Kate broke up over a year ago. What was widely publicised was the gum chewing and the inquiries about the toilet etc. The way I understood it (perhaps wrongly) was the attempt by his friends to portray her backgroung as humble with no class)
In my view (JMO) people who were schooled correctly, brought up properly, may mistep but no one can confuse them for "low class" even if their actions sometimes are nothing but.

Let me just say that Queens like HM Q Elizabeth and Queen Sofia no matter what they are called, they can freeze someone at 15 yards since they know who they are and where they stand --snipped---- Then someone from the low classes can aquire wealth, practice a fake accent, buy some pearls and a cashmere twin set and think she is fooling the masses.
'She' may believe 'she' is fooling the masses, but invariably 'she' is not fooling those from the class 'she' aspires to belong to, most of whom no longer wear twinsets.:rolleyes: There are apparently many matriarchs of crime families who can also freeze a person at 50 yards because of self belief, that has nothing to do with breeding or class!
Still, let's go back to the time William and Kate broke up over a year ago. What was widely publicised was the gum chewing and the inquiries about the toilet etc. The way I understood it (perhaps wrongly) was the attempt by his friends to portray her backgroung as humble with no class)
Or was it an attempt by the paper concerned to fabricate a negative story about the girl and her family? I find it difficult to believe that any friends would feel the need to make such a statement to the media.
In my view (JMO) people who were schooled correctly, brought up properly, may mistep but no one can confuse them for "low class" even if their actions sometimes are nothing but.
IME, they can be some of the worst offenders and could easily be mistaken for low life wasters!:whistling:

One wonder show these pictures were made. Coincidence? Come on! Probably the paper thought up that plot, found a way to get Catherine's mobile phone number and rang her at exactly this moment when she drove by with the photographer waiting in the bushes. Otherwise these pics are not to be explained - it wasn't a motorway and she wasn't pictured from a car driving at her side. So it surely was a trap.

It was stupid of her and I'm really aghast because lots of accidents happen that way but those who never did it throw the first stone!

I feel that the press honeymoon with Kate Middleton is over when they start publishing photographs that are not very flattering it is surely a sign and she doesn´t look her usual pretty self in any of these photos.

The papers were obviously desperate for a story and they got it. It would indeed have been a HUGE coincidence for a pap to be in the middle of Berkshire (what were they doing there anyways?), snapping a pic of Kate who supposedly drove very fast (how could they get this very clear shot then?) while on her phone... and tada!... the perfect story when there wasn't any news for weeks.
Stupid or ignorant? This amount of thoughtlessness beats everything.
It is always interesting to see how everyone jumps on others who break the law. I dare to say every single one of us who drives regularly has been breaking the rules repeatedly - at least speeding on occasion. That doesn't make it right that Kate was on her phone while driving, but it's hardly a major offense.
But then I am sure you are a driving saint and have never done anything similar.

The seatbelt thing is sure careless but I have also noticed that neither William nor Harry wear theirs when driving... it's their own life they are risking...

In that picture I could tell whether she had seat belt on or not. Was she still on a public roadway or on the dirve that goes up to her family's house? She doesn't seem to be driving fast when someone took those pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom