The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It's so entertaining to read the most far-fetched and desperate theories on how poor Kate can be classified as victim of this whole story yet again - yes, it always must be other people's fault. It seems an impossible task to accept that Kate Middleton could actually have committed an offence simply by talking on the mobile pone whilst driving - as thousands of other motorists do every day. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that paparazzi could be close by and take a picture as on so many other occasions with or without Prince William - what's new?

Fact is for now what the pictures show: Kate behind the wheel in an apparently moving vehicle talking on a mobile phone what is against the law. As hard as I try I don't see any strong lights turned onto her, I don't see anyone blocking, harrassing or threatening her. And if there was, maybe her rich boyfriend should think again and open his private pocket and pay for the protection of his long-term girlfriend against the forces of evil media that lure in his Kingdom.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

When I wanted to look thse pics up again to give DOM the link to see for himself where Catherine shields her eyes as if blinded, I found that the pics were gone. Strange, if they just showed what the media reported and could not prove something else...

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Aristocracy

I find it funny that you would expect the paps to write in the caption to their pics that they obtained them through harassment and that they followed Kate around, DOM. Most pics when she is pursued by paps look like she was alone walking down the street when in fact there were dozens of paps around because the paps don't take pics of themselves or each other but if their "target".
The mere fact that those "driving pics" exist, proves already that a paparazzi was waiting at what looks like her parent's driveway for her to leave and that they later or on another day took pics of her while driving, i.e. they have been following her around. Or are you trying to suggest that the pap took those pics by "accident" and was just coincidently near her home in Berkshire?
You may regard it "apparent" that the car was in motion when she was pictured on the phone, others including myself don't. But for any legal proceeding her guilt would need to be established beyond doubt and whether that is possible remains to be seen and depends on Kate's and the witnesse's testimony.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Quote:
Police want to speak to a bystander who took the photograph from a layby. A Thames Valley Police spokeswoman said: “I think it will be a case of seeing if we can get any evidence from the person who took the photo.
"Giving advice to somebody on one's behaviour" is not necessarily meaning that she is fined. Maybe she will receive advice how to cope with harassment?
I wonder what 'innocent' reason the 'person who took the photograph' will give, not many innocent people stand at the side of a road, probably a road that it is known Kate travels along, with a high power digital camera, fitted with Telephoto lens!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

None of us, except Kate and the photographers, really knows what happened but I can´t help thinking that someone tipped off a newspaper that Kate had this habit of driving and talking and so they sent someone to see and get evidence if possible.
The other explanation is it was a neighbour cashing in.
Whatever the situation was she will just have to be more careful, she has been warned by some unflattering news pieces and photographs so she will just have to be wary and try not to break the law - or fall over.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I don't see anyone blocking, harrassing or threatening her. And if there was, maybe her rich boyfriend should think again and open his private pocket and pay for the protection of his long-term girlfriend against the forces of evil media that lure in his Kingdom.
The press association agreed when it retained it's self policing agreement, that no pictures would be taken or published of Kate at anything other than a public outing, where she could reasonably be expected to be photographed. The fact that a photographer/innocent bystander took photographs of her when she was engaged in a private moment, constitutes not only a breach of the PA agreement, but a case of stalking! To suggest that the photographer just happened to be in the vicinty of her home and just happened to have his camera at thr ready, strains the bounds of reality.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The press association agreed when it retained it's self policing agreement, that no pictures would be taken or published of Kate at anything other than a public outing, where she could reasonably be expected to be photographed. The fact that a photographer/innocent bystander took photographs of her when she was engaged in a private moment, constitutes not only a breach of the PA agreement, but a case of stalking! To suggest that the photographer just happened to be in the vicinty of her home and just happened to have his camera at thr ready, strains the bounds of reality.
Which bring ups the question which is the more serious "crime" stalking or driving while talking on a phone.....they will have to settle out of court....
Old 10-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

Fact is for now what the pictures show: Kate behind the wheel in an apparently moving vehicle talking on a mobile phone what is against the law. As hard as I try I don't see any strong lights turned onto her, I don't see anyone blocking, harrassing or threatening her. And if there was, maybe her rich boyfriend should think again and open his private pocket and pay for the protection of his long-term girlfriend against the forces of evil media that lure in his Kingdom.
Well Duke you made an excellent post. William should know better, but perhaps he thinks that he is already spending to much on Kate, the Mustique vacations and those Mahiki drinks are not cheap y' know!?

I was kidding, but for real he should worry a bit more about her safety, a situation like this could turn ugly if she speeds trying to get away from them and the paparazzis follow her. One thing is Kate walking down the street; another is taking pictures of her in moving vehicles
Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Which bring ups the question which is the more serious "crime" stalking or driving while talking on a phone.....they will have to settle out of court....
Stalking definitely!!!! Any stalker, especially those working for a paper or hoping to get a good pic, should be hung, drawn and quartered!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Calling paparrazzi photographs taken maybe once or twice a month is "stalking" is not only far-fetched but an insult to the people who are genuine victims of stalkers.

Kate is far more likely to be caught on CCTV cameras on a daily basis than she is by random photographers.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Well to me considering the papz know where she lives, I doubt it was more of random ring up for them to investigate, I think they were more or less just there. I don't know if I'd call it stalking but obviously Kate is a target of the media, so I don't find anything weird about these pictures. If she had the car stopped in her driveway and was talking then I don't think that's a problem right? but if she was really driving then that's not good very good for Kate now is it.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

One should not forget to see the whole affair in perspective: if Catherine was indeed standing on talking, the pictures are worthless. If she phoned on driving, they are worth big bucks. It is no fun to stand outside a home in Bucklebury in the middle of nowhere for days and weeks and months on end without getting one picture that's worth anything, because the papers won't buy the pictures without any story behind it.

So imagine the frustration of the paps. If I have to judge from what I know about fotoreporter's work, I'd say that at some point somebody would think up ways to get pictures that tell a story. Even if the story is not entirely true. Because the costs of chasing her must be quite high.

Now they present these pictures and lots of papers/TV-stations bought them because they seem to present a juicy story. Okay, it could be that she was indeed driving. But the pics don't really show that IMHO. They can well have been selected to make it appear that she committed an offense. And I bet that's what police is looking into at the moment. So let's just sit back and wait for the results of the police probe.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Forget it, I just answered my own question, I say the best thing to do is wait for the police investigation to be concluded.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
Calling paparrazzi photographs taken maybe once or twice a month is "stalking" is not only far-fetched but an insult to the people who are genuine victims of stalkers. Kate is far more likely to be caught on CCTV cameras on a daily basis than she is by random photographers.
We may only see one or two photographs once or twice per month, but the photographers are probably there, day in day out. Stalking comes, as with everything, in degree's, as I am sure you are aware and there is nothing to suggest this was a random photographer who just happened to be standing with his telephoto lens attached in rural Berkshire!
Kate might possibly be caught on CCTV, but that all depends which Town or City she goes to, the papparazzi tend to folllow, hide and sneak.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

If Catherine was driving while on the phone, and its against the law then by all means she should be fined or whatever the law calls for.

But honestly, in my opinion, to have an police investigation regarding the matter is rather silly and a waste of money. Surely there is something else the police can be doing other than determining if she was on the phone or not. I mean, really.

Until they get married or break it off...Catherine is stuck with the press. I know some people dislike her...but everyone is entitled to a little privacy. Even those who live in a zoo.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

The point is she was using her cell phone while driving which apparently is against the law in the UK. This insistence of always blaming the photographers when they catch them doing something you or I could not get away with, is a bit frustrating.
We should get real and accept that what she did was against the law. Granted no one would go to jail for it but I am sure other residents of the area, if caught, they would pay a stiff fine for. Still "poor Catherine" was being harrassed.........
Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
But honestly, in my opinion, to have an police investigation regarding the matter is rather silly and a waste of money.
Over here, the police would not start an investigation as it is no capital offense where the state is forced to investigate. But if a reader of the papers or a witness would come forward to push a complaint, they'd do some investigating. And only because it has become such a prominent case because really: anyone could launch such a complaint against anyone because you see lots and lots of parked cars with the drivers phoning which can be photographed as if the driver was driving and than the picture could be used as basis of a complaint. Normally they would write to her saying that this potential offense had been brought to their notice and what does she say about it? And that's the end of it because she would defend herself of course or at least claim that she can't remember and than it would be decided that it's not in the public interest to go any further. I think (from reading lots of English mysteries) that the procedure is similar in the UK, but can be wrong of course.

What makes me wonder is that the police acted so fast. Normally things like that take time. So my guess (as I said before) is that they are not investigating Catherine's phone habits in her car but something else. Which might be a complaint about an offense which warrants an official investigation.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

I am sorry, but I do believe Catherine is being harassed.
Yes, if she broke the law then by all means punish her.
I am not familiar with England, but it appears that she is in the country. SO how many photographers (professional at least) are looking for potential targets (celebs) to photograph in the country unless they are at an official event (i.e.. charity, party, sports events, etc.) They just happened to find her on a country road? I think not.
Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion about Catherine, her work or her lack of work, whether or not William should marry her, does she party too much or not at all, etc BUT the fact remains everyone (even criminals) are entitled to certain rights and people because of their dislike (or like) of her are blowing it at of proportion. I mean, why not just deport the girl from England and be done with it.

Its a silly thing to say (deporting her from the country), but luckily no one was hurt and hopefully she has learned her lesson and we should all move on.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Majesty

Miss Middleton talked on cellphone while driving. So many other people famous for various reasons did or do the same. Miss Middleton is unlikely to get a severe punishment as her misdemeanour might be viewed as minor. We can be full of righteous anger about Miss Middleton's transgression. However, nothing can be done about it. Although mass media and paparazzis can be blamed for the situation surrounding Miss Middleton, I do not think that the above factors are too mitigating, if factoring in the other famous people, who exist in the same environment.I find the attitude "Poor me" in such situations as invalid.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Actually, I don't think Catherine has been on record as saying poor me, its more of her "supporters".

And honestly, that is my disagreement (in a friendly way of course) with the "non supporters", you would think they way some people acted she did an interview where she basically said something along the lines....i don't get out of bed unless its 10K a day, or please feel free sorry for me my life is awful, i am so tired I just got back from yet another vacation, etc.

She has said none of those things and yet she is blamed because some people feel that way on her behalf. The only time (to my knowledge that she complained) is when she filed those complaints with the Press office (not sure of the offical name) and honestly, some of that was very legit.

From all appearances, Catherine is very aware that by dating William she will attract some press...some of it favorable and some of it not. But please notice, that no one has disagreed with my statement that EVERYONE is entitled to some privacy. Are we saying because she is dating William that every aspect of her life is open for discussion?

Again, if she broke the law she broke the law and no one is above it...but is she not entitled to any degree of privacy?

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william