Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 5: June-August 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think kate is beautiful but I wish william had dated more girls and I think william and kate got to serious too young . They do make lovely couple

Posts regarding Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have been removed. Please keep to the topic of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

Last edited:
Emotional? What feelings and from which duty? . . .

"iron"? Did I miss something truely major? Did Princess Elizabeth not marry the Prince of her dreams. Did they not just celebrate their 60th Wedding anniversary? Have we marked the passing years by shaking our heads and noting how utterly miserable they are and how unhealthy it is to stay in such an unhappay "institution"?

Yes they put duty and service above everything. Most people of their generation did. If their marriages weren't perfect they worked at it! They have have obviously failed to embrace the notion of "its all about me". Their private lives have remained just that, private!

It's exactly what you are saying in the last paragraph MARG - QE II & Philip, although a love match, always put duty and service above everything, including their personal issues that were resolved out of the public eye. What I wanted to say is that I don't see the same characteristic in William, a child of his parents who unfortunately were unable to do follow the example of the monarch couple in that respect. And therefore, back to topic, I am not sure that William is dead sure at this very moment that Kate is the one as much as QE II was dead sure that Philip was the one. Too much has happened in his childhood and when looking at other family members I don't see him doing this life commitment so soon, be it with Kate or any other girl, as he knows that another high profile failed marriage in the House of Windsor could have desastrous consequences for the institution. I don't think there will be symapathy for another Charles & Diana- or Fergie-like behaviour within the public.

From the Telegraph's Liz Hunt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/07/23/do2309.xml

She’s available for weddings, parties, and no doubt barmitzvahs, too, with ceremonial occasions a speciality. And there’ll always be a smile on her face, and a flirty but restrained new outfit to delight the paparazzi. At the weekend, Kate Middleton was on duty again, this time at the nuptials of Lady Rose Windsor. Once, I had sympathy for the young woman dubbed Waity Katie, who seems to do nothing very much as a Royal Fiancée-in-Waiting except turn up to events while her prince fights pirates in the Caribbean with the Royal Navy. She’s bright, with a good degree from a good university, surely she must be aching to put it to use? But I’m no longer so understanding of Kate after Belle Robinson, one of the founders of the high street store Jigsaw where she was employed (briefly), revealed why she’d created a part-time job for her. "(Kate) genuinely wanted a job but she needed an element of flexibility to continue the relationship with a very highprofile man and a life she can’t dictate,” she said. How sad. This is the one time in her life that Kate Middleton can dictate what she does; it’s her one opportunity to make her mark in her own right and experience something of real life. She certainly won’t be able to once she’s legged it up the aisle of St Paul’s on William’s arm. Yes, media intrusion is a problem, but deals have been done before between the Palace and the press. Even Diana, with few qualifications bar a school certificate for Best Kept Hamster, managed a job of sorts in a kindergarten. What a Wastey Katie.

Ouch, this is rather scathing. I'm not a fan of Kate by the way and I agree with your last comment Duke of Marmalade. I don't think the public will tolerate Kate if she stuffs up.

Also i have a suspicion that Kate leaving Jigsaw may also have something to with Kate & her Family cashing in on her apparent Royal Connections. I think that the owner of the Jigsaw company has hinted at it in her interview, with the free holidays in Mustique for Kate & William as well as Kate & Pippa. I read from an old guardian article about Kate's time with Jigsaw. It hints that Kate signed up to be a brand ambassador for the company, in return for free holidays in Mustique.

Isn't this the same thing Sophie got accussed of? You see I don't believe the real reason Kate quit that job, because of the press following her, she likes the press following her all the time. I think it was because she and her family were worried the press may of found out about her and her family's arrangement with the owner of Jigsaw in regards to getting freebies.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/7days/story/0,,1774343,00.html

It's exactly what you are saying in the last paragraph MARG - QE II & Philip, although a love match, always put duty and service above everything, including their personal issues that were resolved out of the public eye.
Well trust me to get the wrong message. I thought you were using Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip as the cautionary tale instead of the younger generation's train wrecks. Obviously too much coffee! :coffee:

Also i have a suspicion that Kate leaving Jigsaw may also have something to with Kate & her Family cashing in on her apparent Royal Connections. I think that the owner of the Jigsaw company has hinted at it in her interview, with the free holidays in Mustique for Kate & William as well as Kate & Pippa.
Perhaps I missed something, (not unusual), how have the Middletons cashed in on Catherine's Royal Connections and how many holidays have they had on Mustique at the expense of the Robinsons?:flowers:
The link isn't working for me.

Kezza....

Kezza, I’m having trouble with the first link you copied, but I will second your ‘ouch.’ Everything appears GREEN all of a sudden. Lol!

My God, is Kate Middleton the only person to ever benefit on the job front from a connection? I rather doubt it. And we all saw what she went through when she lived in London and worked at Jigsaw. The girl couldn’t walk to her car without twenty photographers harassing her. On a daily basis, there was analysis about how she enjoyed the media attention; how she complained but didn’t mean it; how she smiled too much; how she worked less than the traditional workweek; etc. I suspect her brand of toothpaste would become an issue, given a chance.

She has worked for her family’s business (and her brother’s sister-company) for some time now. Since no one can snap a picture of her under those circumstances, how on earth does anyone know what she’s doing, or not doing? And she’s hardly the first person to work for a family business after graduating from college. And before someone makes an issue of her major, etc., I got it. But she’s also not the first person to work in a different field; there’s so much more to a university diploma/education than it’s pure ‘cash value.’

As for this being “the one time in her life that Kate Middleton can dictate what she does; it’s her one opportunity to make her mark in her own right and experience something of real life…” Lol! I suspect that is exactly what she is doing. I can understand envying her life (and I’d bet my last dollar that that’s what many comments are based on), but to blast her for having the good fortune to live a life that happens to include a relationship with a future king is simply too transparent, IMHO.

You see I don't believe the real reason Kate quit that job, because of the press following her, she likes the press following her all the time. I think it was because she and her family were worried the press may of found out about her and her family's arrangement with the owner of Jigsaw in regards to getting freebies.

Pendennis | 7 Days | The Observer

This is where I totally disagree. I don't buy the story that Kate courts the press at all, and find it unbelievable that a few people remain to think so. We have heard that she's polite to the paps and often smiles, which is hardly a crime. If anything, I think the way she handles the press is one of her assets... with much grace and maturity. But just like other royals and celebrities of sound mind, I believe she's trying to live as private a life as possible.

As for her reasons for leaving Jigsaw... we'll never know. But I don't think she worked there to get free lodging in the first place. Both William and Kate's families are wealthy enough to afford decent hotels in exotic destinations. Besides, isn't it common for upper class families to lend each other vacation homes? Even Princess Diana brought her sons to Mohamed Al-Fayed's place years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if their Klosters and Ibiza trips came with some kind of free mansion as well.

...I am not sure that William is dead sure at this very moment that Kate is the one as much as QE II was dead sure that Philip was the one. Too much has happened in his childhood and when looking at other family members I don't see him doing this life commitment so soon, be it with Kate or any other girl, as he knows that another high profile failed marriage in the House of Windsor could have desastrous consequences for the institution.

Well, the Queen was 13 when she met Philip and she had a crush on him and knew he was 'the one' from that point on. Given William's age, and the family issues you mentioned, perhaps he IS in a good position to truly analyze what he and Kate want and need. Just my opinion...

It's strange, throughout 2007 Kate was accused of using her parents connections with the Robinsons to get the job, now that Belle Robinson has said this isn't true it's now changed and she is accused of using her "Royal Connections" to get the job. Which in all honesty could be said for any job Kate gets really, The Guardian or any other paper can write a similar article for anywhere she works because employing Prince William's girlfriend will bring enormous amounts of publicity to any company.

she likes the press following her all the time
If this were true she would still be in London where they could follow her at all times and not wherever she is now where they haven't been able to. IMO Kate accepts the press in her life, she complained when they got too heavy but for the most part she just carries on with what she is doing and ignores it. Which is probably the way the girlfriend of a high profiled member of the Royal Family should be.

It's strange, throughout 2007 Kate was accused of using her parents connections with the Robinsons to get the job, now that Belle Robinson has said this isn't true it's now changed and she is accused of using her "Royal Connections" to get the job. Which in all honesty could be said for any job Kate gets really, The Guardian or any other paper can write a similar article for anywhere she works because employing Prince William's girlfriend will bring enormous amounts of publicity to any company.
The next thing someone, somewhere will say, is that she is working for her parents to get them the publicity or even that she is dating William to get him some publicity! :whistling: :ROFLMAO:

Good points Jo and I would add that working for parents is normally harder than working for an ordinary company.
I'll have to agree with this. When family is on the the job, it seems to lose the meaning of....well....a job!

Video

This nonsense in the DM that the Queen is insisting on Kate getting a job as a pre-requisite to marrying William is just ridiculous. She would certainly say no such thing. If they marry, it will only be in the next few years. Kate's only job then will be as a working royal. If they have come to an understanding, she doesn't need a career. If they have not by now, then she should do it for herself, not for William nor the Queen.

I would like to see them marry, but I have no high opinion of Williams regard for her since I saw the video of them at the ceremony when he received his wings.
Which video is that please?

From the Guardian dated May the 14th 2006 a few months before Kate Started at Jigsaw in November 2006.

Following last weekend's news that Kate Middleton and Prince William enjoyed a rent-free holiday at the rambling house in Mustique belonging to the owner of the Jigsaw clothing chain, rumours are rife that Middleton is now to sign up as a brand ambassador for the company.

Compare that to what Belle Robinson has to say.

Today she reveals the truth for the first time. "I'm amazed at how much people have made of a very simple thing. I don't know Kate well. Some people asked us if we were happy for Kate and William to go and stay in our holiday house in Mustique with some friends. They're not allowed to pay for it but in return they would make a donation to the local hospital. And I said: 'Yeah, fine.'

"Through that, as a thank-you to us, Kate supported a couple of Jigsaw events we did. Then she rang me up one day and said: 'Could I come and talk to you about work?' She genuinely wanted a job but she needed an element of flexibility to continue the relationship with a very high-profile man and a life that she can't dictate.

Also Belle claiming she and her husband didn't know the Middleton's all much.

From the Metro Dated January 2007.

Just the ticket for Kate Middleton | Metro.co.uk

Before starting her job seven weeks ago, secured for her by her mum Carole, she had not found work since graduating from St Andrews University in June 2005.
Carole Middleton helps design the Jigsaw Junior website and is friends with company owners John and Belle Robinson.

Also from this little snippet from No Alcohol and Lots of Control

Kate's parents know John and Belle Robinson, the owners of Jigsaw. But it was Kate herself who approached the Robinsons and succeeded in landing a job as an assistant buyer for the chain's junior accessories line.

I think Kate worked for the company in exchange for freebie Holidays for her and her boyfriend. I think she was told to quit the job, because either her parents were worried it would get out she was exploiting her connections, or the Palace did because they were worried how William might look if it got out that he and his girlfriend were getting freebie holidays from someone his girlfriend and her family know so well.

Last edited:
It says that rather paying they agreed to donate to teh local hospital in Mustique.

I think Kate worked for the company in exchange for freebie Holidays for her and her boyfriend. I think she was told to quit the job, because either her parents were worried it would get out she was exploiting her connections, or the Palace did because they were worried how William might look if it got out that he and his girlfriend were getting freebie holidays from someone his girlfriend and her family know so well.
She appears to have had one holiday at the Robinson's property and they made a donation to the hospital, which suggests it wasn't a freebie. As William and Catherine only enjoyed one holiday and it wasn't free, why would anyone be concerned that she was exploiting anything?

This seems to be yet another case of the media getting it very wrong.

She appears to have had one holiday at the Robinson's property and they made a donation to the hospital, which suggests it wasn't a freebie. As William and Catherine only enjoyed one holiday and it wasn't free, why would anyone be concerned that she was exploiting anything?

This seems to be yet another case of the media getting it very wrong.
Quite right, and another example of how some of these stories just get a life of their own because the royal family does not necessarily try and refute or respond to every news story about it, or those associated with them.

Kate is a private citizen and we dont really know what she does with her time..... and I guess that is a problem for some of the media.

But according to Belle Robinson she doesn't know Kate or her family well.

They asked if they and some friends could use her holiday home in exchange for a donation to a hospital. What's the problem with that? We have an apartment in Spain that we let people use throughout the year, lots of people do it.

I'm not really sure why there were not allowed to pay for it, though. Why make a donation instead of just paying for the use?

So you'd rather see the Robinsons get the money for Will and Kate's holiday than the hospital? :ohmy: I see nothing wrong with this arrangement.

I'm not really sure why there were not allowed to pay for it, though. Why make a donation instead of just paying for the use?
They would have to declare any fee for the tax on an overseas property letting to be paid. If it was only on the one occasion, their accountant would probably have cost more than the rent they received.

I think the suggestion that it was put to them, that William & Catherine couldn't pay them for the hire is inaccurate, there wouldn't be any reason that I can see why they could make a donation to a hospital, but not pay rent.

So you'd rather see the Robinsons get the money for Will and Kate's holiday than the hospital? :ohmy: I see nothing wrong with this arrangement.

I don't believe that I said anything of the kind.

I think the suggestion that it was put to them, that William & Catherine couldn't pay them for the hire is inaccurate, there wouldn't be any reason that I can see why they could make a donation to a hospital, but not pay rent.

That is what I had been thinking. The idea of them not being allowed to pay for a rental, but allowed to make a donation just sounded strange to me.

HRH Prince William's girlfriend Kate Middleton is seen working hard at her parents business "Party Pieces" in Berkshire. Kate spent her day clearing out stock from the premises in a lovely frock 21/07/08.

http://www.brunopress.nl/fotoweb/Pr...ageFolder&sorting=ModifiedTimeAsc&search=kate middleton
http://www.brunopress.nl/fotoweb/Pr...ageFolder&sorting=ModifiedTimeAsc&search=kate middleton

More Here: BrunoPress

Whilst I would consider th pictures to be quite intrusive, I do think they serve a purpose: for once and for all, let the Daily Mail and its readers get a sense that Kate is working for her parents, and does not spend all day waiting for William to ask her to marry him!

It's the old story of you can't have it both ways, although legally she's a private citizen society-wise she's not. She's the girlfriend of the future King, even attending royal events therefore the public is interested in what she does and to feed the public interest there are photographers who will take pictures whenever she is seen in public. By the way I don't think she's bothered by such pictures at all.

In terms of helping out at her parents' company it's certainly the best solution for her at this stage. If Wills does pop the question we will hear the truth regarding her work ethics anyway and if he doesn't she will have build up some knowledge about running party pieces and take over in the end ...

^^yes, while intrusive, pictures like that do seem necissary to qualmm people's outrage of her "not having a job".

Can you imagine the story that that other girl helping her will have for her grandchildren? "The Queen and I cleaned up a shed together!"

^^yes, while intrusive, pictures like that do seem necissary to qualmm people's outrage of her "not having a job".

Can you imagine the story that that other girl helping her will have for her grandchildren? "The Queen and I cleaned up a shed together!"

If Catherine really marries William, it won't be just the grandchildren to hear that story. We'll see her endlessly in documentaries featured as "Catherine's friend" reminiscensing about the good old times. :whistling:

I can not see the pictures. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I can not see the pictures. Is anyone else having the same problem?

If you go to BrunoPress,
search "kate middleton" under Entertainment and hit Zoeken. You'll find pictures of her in Party Pieces cleaning out boxes. They're stolen pictures indeed, and I hope the paps stop invading what's left of her privacy. But it's good to see her working, even if I never doubted that she's been working at Party Pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom