The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
It's strange, throughout 2007 Kate was accused of using her parents connections with the Robinsons to get the job, now that Belle Robinson has said this isn't true it's now changed and she is accused of using her "Royal Connections" to get the job. Which in all honesty could be said for any job Kate gets really, The Guardian or any other paper can write a similar article for anywhere she works because employing Prince William's girlfriend will bring enormous amounts of publicity to any company.
The next thing someone, somewhere will say, is that she is working for her parents to get them the publicity or even that she is dating William to get him some publicity!

Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Good points Jo and I would add that working for parents is normally harder than working for an ordinary company.
I'll have to agree with this. When family is on the the job, it seems to lose the meaning of....well....a job!

Old 07-23-2008, 03:22 PM

Question Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
This nonsense in the DM that the Queen is insisting on Kate getting a job as a pre-requisite to marrying William is just ridiculous. She would certainly say no such thing. If they marry, it will only be in the next few years. Kate's only job then will be as a working royal. If they have come to an understanding, she doesn't need a career. If they have not by now, then she should do it for herself, not for William nor the Queen.

I would like to see them marry, but I have no high opinion of Williams regard for her since I saw the video of them at the ceremony when he received his wings.
Which video is that please?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Aristocracy

From the Guardian dated May the 14th 2006 a few months before Kate Started at Jigsaw in November 2006.

Quote:
Following last weekend's news that Kate Middleton and Prince William enjoyed a rent-free holiday at the rambling house in Mustique belonging to the owner of the Jigsaw clothing chain, rumours are rife that Middleton is now to sign up as a brand ambassador for the company.
Compare that to what Belle Robinson has to say.

Quote:
Today she reveals the truth for the first time. "I'm amazed at how much people have made of a very simple thing. I don't know Kate well. Some people asked us if we were happy for Kate and William to go and stay in our holiday house in Mustique with some friends. They're not allowed to pay for it but in return they would make a donation to the local hospital. And I said: 'Yeah, fine.'

"Through that, as a thank-you to us, Kate supported a couple of Jigsaw events we did. Then she rang me up one day and said: 'Could I come and talk to you about work?' She genuinely wanted a job but she needed an element of flexibility to continue the relationship with a very high-profile man and a life that she can't dictate.
Also Belle claiming she and her husband didn't know the Middleton's all much.

From the Metro Dated January 2007.

Just the ticket for Kate Middleton | Metro.co.uk

Quote:
Before starting her job seven weeks ago, secured for her by her mum Carole, she had not found work since graduating from St Andrews University in June 2005.
Carole Middleton helps design the Jigsaw Junior website and is friends with company owners John and Belle Robinson.
Also from this little snippet from No Alcohol and Lots of Control

Quote:
Kate's parents know John and Belle Robinson, the owners of Jigsaw. But it was Kate herself who approached the Robinsons and succeeded in landing a job as an assistant buyer for the chain's junior accessories line.
I think Kate worked for the company in exchange for freebie Holidays for her and her boyfriend. I think she was told to quit the job, because either her parents were worried it would get out she was exploiting her connections, or the Palace did because they were worried how William might look if it got out that he and his girlfriend were getting freebie holidays from someone his girlfriend and her family know so well.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 AM
Nobility

It says that rather paying they agreed to donate to teh local hospital in Mustique.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
I think Kate worked for the company in exchange for freebie Holidays for her and her boyfriend. I think she was told to quit the job, because either her parents were worried it would get out she was exploiting her connections, or the Palace did because they were worried how William might look if it got out that he and his girlfriend were getting freebie holidays from someone his girlfriend and her family know so well.
She appears to have had one holiday at the Robinson's property and they made a donation to the hospital, which suggests it wasn't a freebie. As William and Catherine only enjoyed one holiday and it wasn't free, why would anyone be concerned that she was exploiting anything?

This seems to be yet another case of the media getting it very wrong.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
She appears to have had one holiday at the Robinson's property and they made a donation to the hospital, which suggests it wasn't a freebie. As William and Catherine only enjoyed one holiday and it wasn't free, why would anyone be concerned that she was exploiting anything?

This seems to be yet another case of the media getting it very wrong.
Quite right, and another example of how some of these stories just get a life of their own because the royal family does not necessarily try and refute or respond to every news story about it, or those associated with them.

Kate is a private citizen and we dont really know what she does with her time..... and I guess that is a problem for some of the media.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
But according to Belle Robinson she doesn't know Kate or her family well.

They asked if they and some friends could use her holiday home in exchange for a donation to a hospital. What's the problem with that? We have an apartment in Spain that we let people use throughout the year, lots of people do it.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Serene Highness

I'm not really sure why there were not allowed to pay for it, though. Why make a donation instead of just paying for the use?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Aristocracy

So you'd rather see the Robinsons get the money for Will and Kate's holiday than the hospital? I see nothing wrong with this arrangement.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
I'm not really sure why there were not allowed to pay for it, though. Why make a donation instead of just paying for the use?
They would have to declare any fee for the tax on an overseas property letting to be paid. If it was only on the one occasion, their accountant would probably have cost more than the rent they received.

I think the suggestion that it was put to them, that William & Catherine couldn't pay them for the hire is inaccurate, there wouldn't be any reason that I can see why they could make a donation to a hospital, but not pay rent.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
So you'd rather see the Robinsons get the money for Will and Kate's holiday than the hospital? I see nothing wrong with this arrangement.
I don't believe that I said anything of the kind.

Quote:
I think the suggestion that it was put to them, that William & Catherine couldn't pay them for the hire is inaccurate, there wouldn't be any reason that I can see why they could make a donation to a hospital, but not pay rent.
That is what I had been thinking. The idea of them not being allowed to pay for a rental, but allowed to make a donation just sounded strange to me.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
HRH Prince William's girlfriend Kate Middleton is seen working hard at her parents business "Party Pieces" in Berkshire. Kate spent her day clearing out stock from the premises in a lovely frock 21/07/08.
http://www.brunopress.nl/fotoweb/Pre...sc&search=kate middleton

More Here: BrunoPress
Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Majesty

Whilst I would consider th pictures to be quite intrusive, I do think they serve a purpose: for once and for all, let the Daily Mail and its readers get a sense that Kate is working for her parents, and does not spend all day waiting for William to ask her to marry him!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It's the old story of you can't have it both ways, although legally she's a private citizen society-wise she's not. She's the girlfriend of the future King, even attending royal events therefore the public is interested in what she does and to feed the public interest there are photographers who will take pictures whenever she is seen in public. By the way I don't think she's bothered by such pictures at all.

In terms of helping out at her parents' company it's certainly the best solution for her at this stage. If Wills does pop the question we will hear the truth regarding her work ethics anyway and if he doesn't she will have build up some knowledge about running party pieces and take over in the end ...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Nobility

^^yes, while intrusive, pictures like that do seem necissary to qualmm people's outrage of her "not having a job".

Can you imagine the story that that other girl helping her will have for her grandchildren? "The Queen and I cleaned up a shed together!"

Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlyKeira View Post
^^yes, while intrusive, pictures like that do seem necissary to qualmm people's outrage of her "not having a job".

Can you imagine the story that that other girl helping her will have for her grandchildren? "The Queen and I cleaned up a shed together!"
If Catherine really marries William, it won't be just the grandchildren to hear that story. We'll see her endlessly in documentaries featured as "Catherine's friend" reminiscensing about the good old times.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Nobility

I can not see the pictures. Is anyone else having the same problem?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman View Post
I had the same problem, so I just used the Bruno Press link Amelia provided.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman View Post
If you go to BrunoPress,
search "kate middleton" under Entertainment and hit Zoeken. You'll find pictures of her in Party Pieces cleaning out boxes. They're stolen pictures indeed, and I hope the paps stop invading what's left of her privacy. But it's good to see her working, even if I never doubted that she's been working at Party Pieces.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, prince william