The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_ View Post
Gosh, I don't think Kate needs a makeover. I've always thought she dresses very appropriately. If anything, she could take the York gals under HER wing, in my most humble opinion.
Lol, Monika! I'm also quite satisfied with the way Kate dresses. I like that she always dresses conservative and clean. I'd like to see a bit more color on her, but that's about it. But lol@ your York comments... maybe a bit brutal but true :)

Old 07-22-2008, 04:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Catherine has taste, elegance and sheer class.
Absolutely!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I think it's a no-win situation, just like almost everything surrounding Kate right now. Her fashion choices, her career decisions -- everything is going to be skewed by the press to fit with the portrait of Kate they've chosen to use. But I still think that organizing a job around a boyfriend makes Kate look bad, even if Belle Robinson was just trying to defend Kate. We all know that Kate doesn't need to work to make money, but arranging a job around a significant other's schedule before an engagement will seem a little questionable to some.
I don't know. It states at least that Catherine tried to find a job actively even though her time was limited for whatever reasons. She could have said: okay, I don't need to work at all, so am happy to stay at home waiting for his call. Good for her!

But slowly I start to think that he should ask her to marry him and do it soon, as this time of waiting costs Catherine dearly. And once she starts to think that she pays much more than she gets for the relationship, she'll start to follow Diana's path. She could be starting to believe that a Royal position was her due and not her duty, that she has a right to something in return for the love she offers to William and that would be a very dangerous development indeed.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
But slowly I start to think that he should ask her to marry him and do it soon, as this time of waiting costs Catherine dearly. And once she starts to think that she pays much more than she gets for the relationship, she'll start to follow Diana's path. She could be starting to believe that a Royal position was her due and not her duty, that she has a right to something in return for the love she offers to William and that would be a very dangerous development indeed.
The more I see them the more I have an awkward feeling and this has nothing to do with Kate (yes, I am one of those who don't fancy her lifestyle but that's a different story). Somehow it's about William and I can't see him settling down because he really wants to, a decision taken from the bottom of his heart. Firstly, he's the child of his parents who somehow knew from the day of their wedding or even before that their relationship was doomed. Look at Charles, he was kind of bullied into marrying Diana by his family and finally the media and it all went wrong. Secondly, look at his uncles who were either not ready, took the wrong choice or waited for ages before settling down ... it's just my feeling that all this must have and does have consequences on his own life decisions what makes it very, very difficult for Kate or any other girl he will probably marry. I see William very much as an emotional person, like his parents, not being able to separate feelings from duty unlike his "iron" grandparents who put their duty and service for their country above everything, including their personal feelings or emotional situations for the sake of the institution.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I see William very much as an emotional person, like his parents, not being able to separate feelings from duty unlike his "iron" grandparents who put their duty and service for their country above everything, including their personal feelings or emotional situations for the sake of the institution.
But then his grandmother married the man she loved and still loves and he has been gentleman enough to be at least very discreet - there are only rumours that he had a mistress, no real proof. But you're right: I cannot see William, a young man of today being able to uphold a facade when there is so much public intrusion in his life and no real high price to pay in case he admits to his faults, as his father did.

But maybe we are all wrong. But since the Robinson-interview I personally started to doubt William's willingness to stand in for Catherine. I mean Mrs. Robinson did not say so much about Catherine, but of the very few things she said she obviously found it important to mention that Catherine would only get help from William's staff in case he or his family were directly afflicted (= that's how I interpret "political" in this context). My impression was that Belle Robinson pities Catherine as a person, that she likes her but that she pities for her situation.

Obviously William really is not such a high prize, unlike his father who at William's age already showed the promise of a deep thinker besides being a good soldier, according to Dimbleby. It was enough to impress even politicians who, when Charles had successfully finished his Navy career after a final year as commander of a ship, tried to get him appointed as governor-General of Australia because they were convinced he would be a success there as well. I doubt anyone would recommend William at the moment as a Royal representative in such an important position...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Somehow it's about William and I can't see him settling down because he really wants to, a decision taken from the bottom of his heart. Firstly, he's the child of his parents who somehow knew from the day of their wedding or even before that their relationship was doomed. Look at Charles, he was kind of bullied into marrying Diana by his family and finally the media and it all went wrong. Secondly, look at his uncles who were either not ready, took the wrong choice or waited for ages before settling down ... it's just my feeling that all this must have and does have consequences on his own life decisions what makes it very, very difficult for Kate or any other girl he will probably marry.
I've always wondered if it's not really the two of them waiting until they're ready for a committed relationship, but instead waiting until they're ready to get married and start a family. I think the length and duration of their relationship, even weathering break-ups, says that they're in it for the long haul, and that they probably love each other deeply.

I think William has chosen already who he will marry, and I think it's Kate. But I'm sure that William is aware of the increased pressure on both of them that's inevitable once they marry, and he may be holding off because of that. And because Kate will be expected to give birth to an heir fairly soon after the marriage, they may also be waiting until they're older and more ready to be parents.

All my own speculation, of course.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I see William very much as an emotional person, like his parents, not being able to separate feelings from duty
Emotional? What feelings and from which duty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
. . . . . . unlike his "iron" grandparents who put their duty and service for their country above everything, including their personal feelings or emotional situations for the sake of the institution.
. . . "iron"? Did I miss something truely major? Did Princess Elizabeth not marry the Prince of her dreams. Did they not just celebrate their 60th Wedding anniversary? Have we marked the passing years by shaking our heads and noting how utterly miserable they are and how unhealthy it is to stay in such an unhappay "institution"?

Yes they put duty and service above everything. Most people of their generation did. If their marriages weren't perfect they worked at it! They have have obviously failed to embrace the notion of "its all about me".

Their private lives have remained just that, private!
Old 07-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I think William has chosen already who he will marry, and I think it's Kate. But I'm sure that William is aware of the increased pressure on both of them that's inevitable once they marry, and he may be holding off because of that. And because Kate will be expected to give birth to an heir fairly soon after the marriage, they may also be waiting until they're older and more ready to be parents.
good point, ella kay! and as much as i'd love to see a big royal wedding and bouncing royal babies, there's nothing worse than having these 2 pressured into a marriage before their time. i'd like them to start their life together with a bit of independence and control. i just hope that time won't take too long to come. because if they break up before the time is right, i fear kate will be regarded as "that girl who could have been... the right girl at the wrong time."

and by the way, your blog is OUTSTANDING! never have i seen anything so current. it definitely is a one-stop destination for wills & kate watchers.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by putski View Post
good point, ella kay! and as much as i'd love to see a big royal wedding and bouncing royal babies, there's nothing worse than having these 2 pressured into a marriage before their time. i'd like them to start their life together with a bit of independence and control. i just hope that time won't take too long to come. because if they break up before the time is right, i fear kate will be regarded as "that girl who could have been... the right girl at the wrong time."
I don't think we'll have to wait much longer to find out. I don't think that Kate's appearances at the Phillips wedding and at Garter Day are coincidental ... I think they're preparing her for the big stuff to come. I wouldn't be surprised if we get an engagement announcement in the fall with almost another year to wait before a wedding. By that time, they'll both be 27, and I'm sure lots more of their peers will be getting married, too.

(But this is straying from current events to engagement speculation, so let me add that I don't think that her attendance at Lady Rose's wedding is nearly so significant as the Phillips wedding showing on behalf of William. I think she and Rose are probably just friends.)

And I'm glad you like the blog! I'm having lots of fun with it.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 AM
Heir Apparent

^Ya I think they are just friends actually one of the articles on your blog mentions that BP said she wasn't representing William.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 AM
Commoner

I think kate is beautiful but I wish william had dated more girls and I think william and kate got to serious too young . They do make lovely couple
Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 AM
Serene Highness

Posts regarding Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have been removed. Please keep to the topic of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Emotional? What feelings and from which duty? . . .

"iron"? Did I miss something truely major? Did Princess Elizabeth not marry the Prince of her dreams. Did they not just celebrate their 60th Wedding anniversary? Have we marked the passing years by shaking our heads and noting how utterly miserable they are and how unhealthy it is to stay in such an unhappay "institution"?

Yes they put duty and service above everything. Most people of their generation did. If their marriages weren't perfect they worked at it! They have have obviously failed to embrace the notion of "its all about me". Their private lives have remained just that, private!
It's exactly what you are saying in the last paragraph MARG - QE II & Philip, although a love match, always put duty and service above everything, including their personal issues that were resolved out of the public eye. What I wanted to say is that I don't see the same characteristic in William, a child of his parents who unfortunately were unable to do follow the example of the monarch couple in that respect. And therefore, back to topic, I am not sure that William is dead sure at this very moment that Kate is the one as much as QE II was dead sure that Philip was the one. Too much has happened in his childhood and when looking at other family members I don't see him doing this life commitment so soon, be it with Kate or any other girl, as he knows that another high profile failed marriage in the House of Windsor could have desastrous consequences for the institution. I don't think there will be symapathy for another Charles & Diana- or Fergie-like behaviour within the public.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Aristocracy

From the Telegraph's Liz Hunt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/07/23/do2309.xml

Quote:
She’s available for weddings, parties, and no doubt barmitzvahs, too, with ceremonial occasions a speciality. And there’ll always be a smile on her face, and a flirty but restrained new outfit to delight the paparazzi. At the weekend, Kate Middleton was on duty again, this time at the nuptials of Lady Rose Windsor. Once, I had sympathy for the young woman dubbed Waity Katie, who seems to do nothing very much as a Royal Fiancée-in-Waiting except turn up to events while her prince fights pirates in the Caribbean with the Royal Navy. She’s bright, with a good degree from a good university, surely she must be aching to put it to use? But I’m no longer so understanding of Kate after Belle Robinson, one of the founders of the high street store Jigsaw where she was employed (briefly), revealed why she’d created a part-time job for her. "(Kate) genuinely wanted a job but she needed an element of flexibility to continue the relationship with a very highprofile man and a life she can’t dictate,” she said. How sad. This is the one time in her life that Kate Middleton can dictate what she does; it’s her one opportunity to make her mark in her own right and experience something of real life. She certainly won’t be able to once she’s legged it up the aisle of St Paul’s on William’s arm. Yes, media intrusion is a problem, but deals have been done before between the Palace and the press. Even Diana, with few qualifications bar a school certificate for Best Kept Hamster, managed a job of sorts in a kindergarten. What a Wastey Katie.
Ouch, this is rather scathing. I'm not a fan of Kate by the way and I agree with your last comment Duke of Marmalade. I don't think the public will tolerate Kate if she stuffs up.

Also i have a suspicion that Kate leaving Jigsaw may also have something to with Kate & her Family cashing in on her apparent Royal Connections. I think that the owner of the Jigsaw company has hinted at it in her interview, with the free holidays in Mustique for Kate & William as well as Kate & Pippa. I read from an old guardian article about Kate's time with Jigsaw. It hints that Kate signed up to be a brand ambassador for the company, in return for free holidays in Mustique.

Isn't this the same thing Sophie got accussed of? You see I don't believe the real reason Kate quit that job, because of the press following her, she likes the press following her all the time. I think it was because she and her family were worried the press may of found out about her and her family's arrangement with the owner of Jigsaw in regards to getting freebies.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/7days...774343,00.html
Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
It's exactly what you are saying in the last paragraph MARG - QE II & Philip, although a love match, always put duty and service above everything, including their personal issues that were resolved out of the public eye.
Well trust me to get the wrong message. I thought you were using Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip as the cautionary tale instead of the younger generation's train wrecks. Obviously too much coffee!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
Also i have a suspicion that Kate leaving Jigsaw may also have something to with Kate & her Family cashing in on her apparent Royal Connections. I think that the owner of the Jigsaw company has hinted at it in her interview, with the free holidays in Mustique for Kate & William as well as Kate & Pippa.
Perhaps I missed something, (not unusual), how have the Middletons cashed in on Catherine's Royal Connections and how many holidays have they had on Mustique at the expense of the Robinsons?
The link isn't working for me.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Aristocracy

Smile Kezza....

Kezza, I’m having trouble with the first link you copied, but I will second your ‘ouch.’ Everything appears GREEN all of a sudden. Lol!

My God, is Kate Middleton the only person to ever benefit on the job front from a connection? I rather doubt it. And we all saw what she went through when she lived in London and worked at Jigsaw. The girl couldn’t walk to her car without twenty photographers harassing her. On a daily basis, there was analysis about how she enjoyed the media attention; how she complained but didn’t mean it; how she smiled too much; how she worked less than the traditional workweek; etc. I suspect her brand of toothpaste would become an issue, given a chance.

She has worked for her family’s business (and her brother’s sister-company) for some time now. Since no one can snap a picture of her under those circumstances, how on earth does anyone know what she’s doing, or not doing? And she’s hardly the first person to work for a family business after graduating from college. And before someone makes an issue of her major, etc., I got it. But she’s also not the first person to work in a different field; there’s so much more to a university diploma/education than it’s pure ‘cash value.’

As for this being “the one time in her life that Kate Middleton can dictate what she does; it’s her one opportunity to make her mark in her own right and experience something of real life…” Lol! I suspect that is exactly what she is doing. I can understand envying her life (and I’d bet my last dollar that that’s what many comments are based on), but to blast her for having the good fortune to live a life that happens to include a relationship with a future king is simply too transparent, IMHO.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
You see I don't believe the real reason Kate quit that job, because of the press following her, she likes the press following her all the time. I think it was because she and her family were worried the press may of found out about her and her family's arrangement with the owner of Jigsaw in regards to getting freebies.

Pendennis | 7 Days | The Observer
This is where I totally disagree. I don't buy the story that Kate courts the press at all, and find it unbelievable that a few people remain to think so. We have heard that she's polite to the paps and often smiles, which is hardly a crime. If anything, I think the way she handles the press is one of her assets... with much grace and maturity. But just like other royals and celebrities of sound mind, I believe she's trying to live as private a life as possible.

As for her reasons for leaving Jigsaw... we'll never know. But I don't think she worked there to get free lodging in the first place. Both William and Kate's families are wealthy enough to afford decent hotels in exotic destinations. Besides, isn't it common for upper class families to lend each other vacation homes? Even Princess Diana brought her sons to Mohamed Al-Fayed's place years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if their Klosters and Ibiza trips came with some kind of free mansion as well.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
...I am not sure that William is dead sure at this very moment that Kate is the one as much as QE II was dead sure that Philip was the one. Too much has happened in his childhood and when looking at other family members I don't see him doing this life commitment so soon, be it with Kate or any other girl, as he knows that another high profile failed marriage in the House of Windsor could have desastrous consequences for the institution.
Well, the Queen was 13 when she met Philip and she had a crush on him and knew he was 'the one' from that point on. Given William's age, and the family issues you mentioned, perhaps he IS in a good position to truly analyze what he and Kate want and need. Just my opinion...
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Courtier

It's strange, throughout 2007 Kate was accused of using her parents connections with the Robinsons to get the job, now that Belle Robinson has said this isn't true it's now changed and she is accused of using her "Royal Connections" to get the job. Which in all honesty could be said for any job Kate gets really, The Guardian or any other paper can write a similar article for anywhere she works because employing Prince William's girlfriend will bring enormous amounts of publicity to any company.

Quote:
she likes the press following her all the time
If this were true she would still be in London where they could follow her at all times and not wherever she is now where they haven't been able to. IMO Kate accepts the press in her life, she complained when they got too heavy but for the most part she just carries on with what she is doing and ignores it. Which is probably the way the girlfriend of a high profiled member of the Royal Family should be.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, prince william