Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 3: January-February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it`s really difficult 4 Kate to be just a long life girlfreind to prince and hoplessly been known just for that .I think she could be a better one to be remembered by using her brain and find herself a job and keep on her own life away from news.
in US i don`t think she will treated as celebrity
But may be if any one pass her by would smile and just say hello

Last edited:
i came across this picture of Kate on the Chelsy Davy fan site and wondered if people know when it was taken - lokks like it has been taken since she left uni ??
Chelsy Davy Fan Site - Home

ImageShack - Hosting :: kattell1.jpg"

I also read that she said this many years ago about their relationship but wasnt' sure if it was true
"He's lucky to be going out with me."
- Kate Middleton, on her relationship with the Prince

Last edited:
The picture was taken at some point in 2005, I think during one of her shopping trips in London with her mother.

The quote was attributed to Kate some years ago, probably in 2004 or 2005.
It has been repeated so many times, I don't remember the original source.

Here is one of many repeat citations: (from December 2006, but not the first) Elusive Kate steps into spotlight | UK News | The Observer
William is said to relish the normality of life with Kate, who reportedly quipped: 'He's lucky to be going out with me.'

whoever said it is absolutely right! you'd have to be a pretty strong person morally, emotionally and pyschologically to have a relationship with anyone in the royal family.

It does take a special and strong person to date someone in the royal family.

I like Kate. I've obviously never met her, but judging from everything that I have read about her, she seems like a very grounded and normal person. She seems down-to-earth and real. Who knows if she would change were she to become royal, but for now, she seems very nice. I enjoy reading about her and William. They seem like a very nice and happy couple.

I believe that Kate must have strong character, because she must know about all the nasty comments that people make about her not having a steady job and not being her own person and so on, and she continues her relationship with William anyway.

I don't get the Kate bashing that she doesn't have a 'real job'. Why would anyone hire her as an employee knowing the media frenzy that would follow her? I don't think that a traditional job is in her immediate future. Photography is a very good fit for her. She gets to "do" something to occupy her time, learn a craft and keep out of sight until she either marries William or moves on.

I believe that something in an artistic field like photography is perfect for her.

What does this line mean from The 2006 Guardian article that Casiraghitrio posted?

Yet, even with those facts to hand, Kate remains elusive. Some portrayals cast her as a 'sensible' middle-class graduate who embodies meritocratic Britain; others as the socially aspiring millionaires' daughter who wouldn't be seen dead beyond the King's Road. Some describe a wholesome English rose; others claim she set her cap at William before university.
Beyond King's Road...what does that imply...

I think it means that they see her as a spoiled rich kid who wouldn't settle for anything that costs less than a grand or shop at a discount store.

But is that like a certain section of London...like nothing beyond that street is posh enough for her?

What does this line mean from The 2006 Guardian article that Casiraghitrio posted?

Beyond King's Road...what does that imply...
King's Road is in Chelsea and has been very trendy since the 60's. It's popular with Sloanes etc. and seen to be quite special.

However in reality it's the same as any other street, the vast majority of shops are chains and there's nothing truly exclusive about it, imo.

Kings Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sloane Ranger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ Kings road is full of boutique stores, hardly any chain stores besides Jigsaw and Morgan.

But she has no responsibilites right now ie. job to feel stressed about. She is constantly on holiday or partying or shopping. I don't know...I just feel something is not right with her personality. I don't hate her, but she seems to have a carefree life to deal with the public and press if you understand what I am trying to say. Plus she has her lawyers to complain about (happened at least 3 times) and the press respect her as a future queen so they are complimenting her ALOT. She seems very dependant on others ie. family, friends, boyfriend. She doesn't seem to be able to do things alone or have her own life. I mean, many royal brides before marriage were able to have their own life ie. friends and a career, even royalty. It's just that she doesn't seem very realistic about the royal life ie. duties, and full schedule of day to day appointments. It's VERY hard work and going from unemployed holiday party person to all day royal duties is going to be very shocking to her. I just feel that no matter how rich a person is and I am not talking about the middletons because they had to take out a second morgage to buy Kate's apartment, that they should be useful to society, whether it is a job or charity work. And especially from her background where her parents are not super rich, she needs to work.

please don't have a go at me, this is just an opinion.

Last edited:
I get your point and I understand that a lot of people think you're only "useful" if you have a job, but I don't think that Kate needs to work. To me a job is mainly a means to make a living, unless you are very passionate about something and therefore go for a certain career. Kate doesn't seem to need a job to make a living. Aparrently her parents have enough money to support her lifestyle, otherwise she would have found herself a dayjob by now. And if her interests and passions lie somewhere you can't easily make a "career" out of (like photography or art), it would also be understandable that we don't see her going about a 9-5 job. Actually I don't think it would be right for her to simply hold a job because "the public" expects her to. I would assume most people would jump at the chance to simply do what they want without the need to hold a job to pay the rent. Why else would anybody bother to play in the lottery.
Furthermore it's a little exaggerated to say she's living a lazy life and that all she ever does is party, shop and vacation . We do not know what she does 24/7. Not every move Kate Middleton does, is reported in the media. For example we haven't heard of her whereabouts for about two weeks. She's not followed 24 hours a day. Usually we only get pictures of her leaving a nightclub about once a week or every two weeks or the occasional picture of her shopping in London. In total I would guess that not more than 10-20% of her time is covered in the media (if at all). Hence none of us know what she does during her days. Of course she could be watching telly at home the whole day but she could as well do something constructive like working on her photography projects or help in her parent's business etc. I tend to give her the benefit of the doubt.
Moreover I don't think she has a wrong or naive idea about Royal life. She has been with William for four years and there's been so much talk about a possible marriage that she must have considered becoming a member of the Royal Family at one point. If anybody on these boards can have a realistic idea about the strains of life in The Firm and the schedule a future Princess (or Duchess) would have, so can Kate Middleton. I doubt she's naive or stupid enough to hold on to fairy-tale ideas of the life of a Princess. She's an educated young woman of 26 after all. If she's still with William and they are indeed planning a life together, I guess that means that she's also willing to do the job that comes with it.

I still can't come to be a fan of Kate. I don't know much about her, but I haven't really seen her caring side with others. It just really bothers me, I'm sure she's nice, but there is just something about her.

I still can't come to be a fan of Kate. I don't know much about her, but I haven't really seen her caring side with others. It just really bothers me, I'm sure she's nice, but there is just something about her.

People who have met her at school or at university only have nice things to tell - if they talk at all. She has engaged in some charity events and appears to be a genuine young lady - with Catherine I get the feeling that you get waht you see and so far, she seems suitable enough.

But there is one thing that is important for me: she does not seem to be a pretender. Diana had said of herself (at the Morton-tapes) that she was a good actress and had inherited that ability from her mother. And when you think back to 1980/81, "Shy" Lady Diana Spencer, then Catherine Middleton comes across as a thoroughly different kind of person. More the Camilla Shand-type really.

It's not the thread here but I'm still quite shocked after a re-read of the Morton-book where Diana claimed she had the first bout of bulimia right after she got engaged, felt ill even on marrying and had to return to London from Balmoral shortly after the wedding because she needed the help pf a psychiatrist. I doubt that prince Charles had married her on knowing of her problems. But as she said: she was good on pretending - till she got her golden fish (my interpretation). And I doubt Catherine Middleton does suffer from such problems - good for her. And I believe William knows her to the core of her being - good for him.

I know we were talking about whether she would be known in America...but she has been on the cover of one of the biggest American tabloids, US Weekly. In fact it was recently credited with making young starlets into obsessions by Radar Magazine...I forgot about this cover though.

http://i12.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/9e/d1/5735_1.JPG

There split made the cover of practically every magazine around the world probably.

^ Kings road is full of boutique stores, hardly any chain stores besides Jigsaw and Morgan.
Clintons's Cards, Carphone Warehouse and Waitrose aren't exactly what I'd call high-end boutiques. Each to their own.

People who have met her at school or at university only have nice things to tell - if they talk at all.
That's not quite accurate, several people have said that the moment she met William she dropped them like a hot potato. A loyal friend it seems she may not be.

Someone who knows her at thefashoinspot...or at least knows people who knew her at university...says that she was pretty intent on dating William. And actually has put up with a lot from him...

Like they said Kate was his last choice after so many girls turned him down...I think she has been treated like crap by him. But she goes along for what she gains...

But she goes along for what she gains...
Like she gains stardom for being the future king's present girlfriend and the royal box at special events and bodyguards, even when William is not with her, which very rarely he was with her. She might want to enjoy it while it lasts but I don't feel it will go as far as marriage.

Clintons's Cards, Carphone Warehouse and Waitrose aren't exactly what I'd call high-end boutiques. Each to their own.

You can find a few chains in Regent Street for that matter, and I'd hardly call that a bog-standard High Street - it's hard to go anywhere in London these days and not fall over some chain stores. However, Kings Road is still considered to be a fachionable shopping street, a few chain stores notwithstanding.

Here's a map of it.

Chelsea King's Road, plus Sloane Square and Duke of York Square

The article was clearly implying that Kings Road is an upscale, fashionable sort of place, even if the reality is slightly more mundane in a few cases.

Like she gains stardom for being the future king's present girlfriend and the royal box at special events and bodyguards, even when William is not with her, which very rarely he was with her. She might want to enjoy it while it lasts but I don't feel it will go as far as marriage.

Sometimes I think it will make it to marriage, and other times I feel like he will break it off and will immediately move on to another relationship and get married quick.

You can find a few chains in Regent Street for that matter, and I'd hardly call that a bog-standard High Street - it's hard to go anywhere in London these days and not fall over some chain stores. However, Kings Road is still considered to be a fachionable shopping street, a few chain stores notwithstanding.

Here's a map of it.

Chelsea King's Road, plus Sloane Square and Duke of York Square

The article was clearly implying that Kings Road is an upscale, fashionable sort of place, even if the reality is slightly more mundane in a few cases.
Thanks but I've been to King's Road many many times and considering the amount of fuss made about it, it is nothing special, imo.

The only stand-outs are the Kiehls store and the Space NK.

I know what you mean. I feel the same way.

That's not quite accurate, several people have said that the moment she met William she dropped them like a hot potato. A loyal friend it seems she may not be.

Plus, there are rumours that she's one of many girls - encouraged by her mother - who decided to go to St Andrews once it was announced that P William would start his studies there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom