The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Nobility

There split made the cover of practically every magazine around the world probably.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily View Post
^ Kings road is full of boutique stores, hardly any chain stores besides Jigsaw and Morgan.
Clintons's Cards, Carphone Warehouse and Waitrose aren't exactly what I'd call high-end boutiques. Each to their own.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
People who have met her at school or at university only have nice things to tell - if they talk at all.
That's not quite accurate, several people have said that the moment she met William she dropped them like a hot potato. A loyal friend it seems she may not be.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Courtier

Someone who knows her at thefashoinspot...or at least knows people who knew her at university...says that she was pretty intent on dating William. And actually has put up with a lot from him...

Like they said Kate was his last choice after so many girls turned him down...I think she has been treated like crap by him. But she goes along for what she gains...
Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post

But she goes along for what she gains...
Like she gains stardom for being the future king's present girlfriend and the royal box at special events and bodyguards, even when William is not with her, which very rarely he was with her. She might want to enjoy it while it lasts but I don't feel it will go as far as marriage.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
Clintons's Cards, Carphone Warehouse and Waitrose aren't exactly what I'd call high-end boutiques. Each to their own.
You can find a few chains in Regent Street for that matter, and I'd hardly call that a bog-standard High Street - it's hard to go anywhere in London these days and not fall over some chain stores. However, Kings Road is still considered to be a fachionable shopping street, a few chain stores notwithstanding.

Here's a map of it.

Chelsea King's Road, plus Sloane Square and Duke of York Square

The article was clearly implying that Kings Road is an upscale, fashionable sort of place, even if the reality is slightly more mundane in a few cases.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
Like she gains stardom for being the future king's present girlfriend and the royal box at special events and bodyguards, even when William is not with her, which very rarely he was with her. She might want to enjoy it while it lasts but I don't feel it will go as far as marriage.
Sometimes I think it will make it to marriage, and other times I feel like he will break it off and will immediately move on to another relationship and get married quick.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
You can find a few chains in Regent Street for that matter, and I'd hardly call that a bog-standard High Street - it's hard to go anywhere in London these days and not fall over some chain stores. However, Kings Road is still considered to be a fachionable shopping street, a few chain stores notwithstanding.

Here's a map of it.

The article was clearly implying that Kings Road is an upscale, fashionable sort of place, even if the reality is slightly more mundane in a few cases.
Thanks but I've been to King's Road many many times and considering the amount of fuss made about it, it is nothing special, imo.

The only stand-outs are the Kiehls store and the Space NK.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
I still can't come to be a fan of Kate. I don't know much about her, but I haven't really seen her caring side with others. It just really bothers me, I'm sure she's nice, but there is just something about her.
I know what you mean. I feel the same way.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
That's not quite accurate, several people have said that the moment she met William she dropped them like a hot potato. A loyal friend it seems she may not be.
Plus, there are rumours that she's one of many girls - encouraged by her mother - who decided to go to St Andrews once it was announced that P William would start his studies there.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post

Here's a map of it.

Agreed.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Plus, there are rumours that she's one of many girls - encouraged by her mother - who decided to go to St Andrews once it was announced that P William would start his studies there.
And while none of the other girls did, she managed to befriend William even to the point that they moved in together and shared a house for three years. I don't know, but I would guess that William has learned to "test" whom to trust and apparently Kate passed that test. And so far she apparently hasn't done anything to prove him wrong. Since William has the advantage to know her personally I'll simply go along with his assessment of her personality.
I have read a lot of comments from people who get "negative vibes" from her but to be honest I don't really know how to judge her myself. I am usually only able to form an opinion when I see interviews and hear someone speak or watch their mannerisms towards other people in documentary style reports etc. So far all I've seen of Kate were paparazzi pics and very short videos of her getting into cars or walking down the street. For me at least it's impossible to judge her character from that. So I decided to stay neutral for now.
She's been a loyal friend to William and it's understandable that only those would talk about her who are not part of her circle of friends anymore, since I guess, she has asked her friends not to talk to the press. And if the first thing her "old" friends did, was run to the papers to sell their story, she was probably right for dropping them.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Having read the last page of posts, many thoughts are swirling through my head. My opinions are strongly inclined the same way as Isana's opinions, but I do sympathize with princess lily's comments, and I like how Jo of Palatine stated her interpretations. Like Jo, I have always had a strong appreciation for Kate's straightforwardness. I have said it before and agree now: she seems to be a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of person. Yes, after the chameleon transitions of Diana, it is a relief, and it is why I appreciate Camilla so much.
But I also take the safe road, not judging Kate at all, and just waiting to learn more. William indeed knows her, and I trust him.

Also I feel sometimes like Zembla. Some days it feels like marriage for them is a sure thing. Other days, it feels like Kate is his safety girl, and he will find someone "better" so to speak.

Everyone made such good points. I am fascinated to hear more from blondie28 about her comment about Kate's supposed lack of compassion toward others. I would like if blondie28 can expand those thoughts. What do you mean? I am just curious to know what this means, because I am not understanding. I think one could interpret that statement different ways, but I would like to know what you think about it.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
For some reason that story is always believable...I can see a lot of mothers doing that. It's so over the top to do something like that too...
Old 02-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post

Everyone made such good points. I am fascinated to hear more from blondie28 about her comment about Kate's supposed lack of compassion toward others. I would like if blondie28 can expand those thoughts. What do you mean? I am just curious to know what this means, because I am not understanding. I think one could interpret that statement different ways, but I would like to know what you think about it.
Okay, I am back from church now so I can finally post. What I mean by saying that I haven't seen her caring side toward others is that why don't she get involved in some sort of charity, you don't have to be royal to be part of charity, and from what I hear her family is not lacking in money, obviously they aren't if they pay for their oldest daughter's taxes or whatever. To be honest I don't think Kate really is the one for William, maybe they are or were in love, but I don't think that they are really soulmates. William will eventually not be interested in girls who love going clubbing and they will both find someone more there type.This is William's first serious relationship, but don't feel as if it will last, I think the story about her mother sending her to St. Andrews tells the stroy pretty well.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wasn't it announced that William was going to St Andrews after he had been accepted which means everyone else would have had to apply long before it was known where he was going?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Commoner

i agree with you blondie. I always thought Kate was like the "decent" type, but now I don't have the same "respect" for her that I used to. The only thing she is doing right now is going out til the early morning. She even left her work. I don't think William will be happy with her, if he stays with her the Diana and Charles's story will repeat(probably). He seems more relaxed when she's not around. just my opinion
Old 02-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessCharlotte View Post
He seems more relaxed when she's not around. just my opinion
I totally agree, he seem to be more easygoing with others and I don't think he feels as if he has to pay all the attention to his girlfriend.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Courtier

Hi! I’ve been lurking on your forums for a while; I enjoy reading about the various royals and their events and enjoy reading all your opinions on the different things they get up to. I just wanted to give my opinion on Kate. One of the things that I have noticed is the similarity between the way Crown Princess Mary was thought of before her marriage and the opinions about Kate. Mary was called a gold digger and accused of using her connections to Frederick to get her job in Denmark etc, much like Kate has been regarding her jobs, her internship(if indeed she has one) etc . I’ve seen her Mary called pathetic and desperate, a disgrace to woman for moving to Denmark for a man, Kate is criticised for waiting for William: although I’m not sure what people mean by that, if she is waiting then I guess any girl in a relationship is. Mary was accused of only going to the bar that night because she knew there would be princes there, much like Kate being accused of going to the same college as William intentionally. Mary was described as cold and accused of loving the attention if she smiled for photographers and criticised for being ill-tempered if she didn’t, just as I've seen with Kate. I have not noticed that most (I know that some don’t like her still) of those people have a very different of Mary today now that they have gotten a chance to see her personality, hear her talk, and generally see the real person behind the photographs. Kate has never spoken to the press; anything that the papers print about her is usually second/third hand, so the reality really is, that like Mary before her engagement, we know very little about this young woman and that is very unlikely to change unless they do become engaged.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Aristocracy

^ I see no difference between Mary and Kate, especially their lifestyles.

Mary continued her full-time work right up until she was engaged. Kate has hardly worked since she left university and even her colleagues have said that she doesn't take her work seriously.

Mary didn't work to a celebrity businessman ie. Mario - famous photographer and Jigsaw, she actually worked in a normal business company.

Mary never shown up in skimpy nightclub type outfits like Kate, although an age difference but if you are comparing then I will too.

Mary didn't leave constantly to go on luxurious holidays every month. I remember counting and Kate went on 10 luxurious holidays in one year!!!

Mary didn't go by herself to celebrity only events. If she did, she went with her prince. Thus, not promoting herself to be a celebrity.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, prince william