The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybilla View Post
Now Hola is also reporting that William and Kate are living together in CH. However, this information is based on The Sun (which isn't very reliable...but it still could be true).

EL PRÍNCIPE GUILLERMO Y KATE YA VIVEN EN CLARENCE HOUSE AUNQUE NO PASARÁN LAS NAVIDADES JUNTOS
They have a picture of Kate and her mother
It looks like an airport picture so I am guessing this is them leaving for ?? Barbados? or whereever they are spending the holidays.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Royal Highness

while i'm no prude and have nothing against the average person living together out of wedlock, i feel it's completely inappropriate for the future head of the CoE. if the head of the CoE is suppose to uphold all the teachings and doctrine of the church then he should not be living with someone out of wedlock,it's hypocritical. unless of course the CoE condones this kind of living arrangement.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William gifts girlfriend Kate 'fake' diamond earrings for Christmas - Yahoo! India News

Prince William gifts girlfriend Kate 'fake' diamond earrings for Christmas.

Quote:
But the prince had to shell out just 410 pounds for the fake diamond piece
For CZ's sweetie, you were robbed!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Royal Highness

why would you drop £410 for fakes???? if you're going to by fakes why not just buy some little cheapy stuff.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
why would you drop £410 for fakes???? if you're going to by fakes why not just buy some little cheapy stuff.
Is it zirconias or zircons? While zirconias are indeed fakes, the zircons are real gems and can look fantastic in a designer setting. It's not diamonds but for 410 pounds you surely get really smart earrings with real zircons in a fine setting. Just what a young man should give his girlfriend, prince or not, while giving her real diamonds would actually resemble payment for services rendered. It has nothing to do IMHO with what he could spent but what he should spent at most.

P.S. Dinny Hall on the homepage speaks of zircons and use of real gems. Zirkonias are used only as :
" Cubic Zirconia (sometimes referred to as Zirconia)
Some Gemstones are manufactured to imitate other Gemstones. The imitations copy the look and colour of the real stone but possess neither their chemical nor physical characteristics. The most widely produced of these is Cubic Zirconia, used both as a colourless and coloured stone to imitate diamond. At Dinny Hall, the only Cubic Zirconia we use is cut by hand to Dinny’s design, and is set with 14K Gold."

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Jo is right. Zircon and Cubic Zirconia (CZ) are different. In short, CZ is a synthetic diamond. Zircon is an actual gem, not synthesized. But I guess we cannot know which one Kate has unless we see pictures. Does anyone have pictures of these earrings?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

my 2 cents- better small and perfect diamonds than big and fake. maybe its just "stocking stuffer" and we won't know the real present but fake is fake, i'd be mad, women buy their own cz's imo- for a present you better buy me real! maybe Kates the type that wouldn't want to worry about keeping up with "real jewelry" he knows her best, but it looks cheap to me, no matter how much he spent. of course if he knows she'll have access to the royal jewelry box soon it's not an issue.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:37 PM

Ok, I just saw Duncan's story about the earrings. I presume that is Yahoo! India's original source.

Picture of the earrings? How can The Sun have this picture? Did they find out which ones William bought and they took picture of another pair just like it at the store?
Are these really the ones Kate has? If so, they look CZ to me too.

But my last question is.... is it appropriate for William to buy her real diamonds? I thought real diamonds signify engagement/marriage. I know husbands buy them for wives.... but on/off girlfriends? I'm not sure. I don't know about this one. I leave it to more informed people.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Commoner

they are cz but what you have all missed out is that there white gold which depending on how many carats it is can be really expensive so that is what has put the cost at so high not the stones
Old 12-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Serene Highness

i received various diamond or emerald (birthstone) earrings, necklaces, even a watch once from various serious boyfriends, my mother never had a negative opinion and she was my "mrs manners" if you will. it never entered my mind "being paid" if that was the meaning it went right over my head, but i can't speak for the rules for royalty.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Yeah, like I said, I am virtually clueless about such matters. I have such a sparse clue about what is "appropriate" for these situations. It all seems to vary so much anyway, from one culture to the next, and I get so confused....
Old 12-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Ok, I just saw Duncan's story about the earrings. I presume that is Yahoo! India's original source.

Picture of the earrings? How can The Sun have this picture? Did they find out which ones William bought and they took picture of another pair just like it at the store?
Are these really the ones Kate has? If so, they look CZ to me too.

But my last question is.... is it appropriate for William to buy her real diamonds? I thought real diamonds signify engagement/marriage. I know husbands buy them for wives.... but on/off girlfriends? I'm not sure. I don't know about this one. I leave it to more informed people.
Looks as if a junior officer with a low pay tries to imitate gifts a prince of Wales might give to his girlfriend.

I must say that I don't like these earings. I would never have worn them - they are bingle bangle and inappropriate, IMHO. Kind of what working class girls would wear to the disco in the 70ties. Makes one wonder if the mentioned "female friend" really was a friend of either William or Catherine.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

tacky- good question about who's friend -i'd be bummed if a friend of mine picked those out, especially if they knew my taste and usual choice of jewelry. he should have asked the counsel of kates sister, or camilla or laura.
seems like i remember the royals give funny, inexpensive gifts at Xmas, hope kate gets the joke i read Dianas first experience was upsetting, she had bought nice, thought out, expensive gifts and the others gave padded toilet seats and black bath soap, she was hurt no one had told her the "inside joke" (might not be true, can't remember the source- sorry)
i'm sticking with these being a stocking stuffer and not the "real present". i don't know if i would have worn these in my 20's but earrings are personal if you don't know someones taste don't go that route. classy and expensive you can't go wrong. better $500 on an unique, antique brooch than the same amount on earrings everybody and their dog can own- sorry jmo
in my experience with hubby i have to lead by the hand, cut it out of an ad or buy it myself and tell him what he got alto to be fair he really tried but it tended to be imo really for him (sexy undies, tv tables, juicer, i could go on) he honestly doesn't have a clue, when he'd take a friend for advise- he'd never listen to them, sigh what can you say, men....... he had to "learn" now he surprises me with personal stuff he knows i would like- antiques, books, expensive chocolate, to me it really is the thought that counts not the cost or "bigness" it's the effort that touches me not the item itself. (this year we gave each other rewiring the house how romantic is that )
what do our younger members think- would you be happy with these for Xmas from your love (not your aunt, friend, brother) your true love? i'm a brat, i don't care white gold or not i'd be looking around for the real present. it will be interesting watching for them in future photos.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
(this year we gave each other rewiring the house how romantic is that )
You're right - that kills romantic evenings and candle light dinners by chance..... Now you'll have to plan it because the electricity of your house won't do the "chancing" for you anymore. How throughly unromantic... BTW - congratulations to your renewed comfort!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Royal Highness

they look like costume jewelry. i'm with bbb....better small and perfect than big and fake...taaaaaccckkkyyyy
Old 12-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Courtier

so they are supposed to be living together at his palace and he gives her those extremely tacky,fake earrings after 4 years together?????also, he spent just an hour deciding??that is how long it takes to buy for the most important person in your life? lastly he didnt need to take anyone with him, he should know kate well enough after all this time (they even lived together for more than a year) to know what kind of jewellery she likes.
trust me, it seems like this isnt "stock stuffing". its the real gift.just shows to me how he feels about her..lovely.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
so they are supposed to be living together at his palace and he gives her those extremely tacky,fake earrings after 4 years together?????also, he spent just an hour deciding??that is how long it takes to buy for the most important person in your life? lastly he didnt need to take anyone with him, he should know kate well enough after all this time (they even lived together for more than a year) to know what kind of jewellery she likes.
trust me, it seems like this isnt "stock stuffing". its the real gift.just shows to me how he feels about her..lovely.
Thats funny I was just thinking the same thing. You would think after 4 or 5 years together and living with the person, you would get a really nice and meaningful gift. If he really knew what he was getting, he should have asked some assistants if they were real diamonds. It is not as if he does not have any millions to spare on his suppose future "wife". I was cracking up when I heard this story, shows how much he loves her. IMO those earrings are pretty.

To All: and

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 12-24-2007, 02:44 AM

William is not and never has seemed to be a romantic person.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
tacky- good question about who's friend -i'd be bummed if a friend of mine picked those out, especially if they knew my taste and usual choice of jewelry. he should have asked the counsel of kates sister, or camilla or laura........SNIPPED......in my experience with hubby i have to lead by the hand, cut it out of an ad or buy it myself and tell him what he got....SNIPPED.....
i'm sticking with these being a stocking stuffer and not the "real present". i don't know if i would have worn these in my 20's but earrings are personal if you don't know someones taste don't go that route. classy and expensive you can't go wrong. better $500 on an unique, antique brooch than the same amount on earrings everybody and their dog can own- sorry jmo
They are not very expensive as 'main' presents go, so I also think they are a stocking filler. When you have everything or can have anything you want, the presents have got to be incredibly personal or 'tat'.
Quote:
.in my experience with hubby i have to lead by the hand, cut it out of an ad or buy it myself and tell him what he got.
I don't let mine off that easily, After a few hours shopping, I drag him to the shop where I have already arranged my present, but I umm and argh for at least an hour, before I 'guide' him to pick my gift. I know it's time to go in for the kill when I see (in a window) that he is checking his watch for the umpteenth time!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Royal Highness

then again...for all we know this could be just another made up story.

Tags
kate middleton, prince william