Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 1: October-November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope William does dump Kate,here's somrthing about her I just don't like,which sounds silly because I've never met her.

Nothing against KM, she seems lovely. I just wish I could muster more enthusiasm for her as a possible future bride for Prince William.
not wanting to start a pro/anti diana debate i'll say this:

we've already had a potential queen consort that was discreet and wore clothes very well and that turned out horribly wrong. on the other side of the coin, this same potential future queen started out ordinary but became the best advertisement for british designers ever, touched the lives of a lot people and brought some very serious yet backburner causes to the forefront. who knows what amazing things this young woman could do if she has the opportunity and uses it in a positive way.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's too early to predict what will happen. The Queen is sure to be cautious in making any future decision about whether to approve a marriage, especially considering the damage that was done by the failure of Diana and Charles' marriage.

Nothing against KM, she seems lovely. I just wish I could muster more enthusiasm for her as a possible future bride for Prince William. I had such high hopes for this kid when it came to choosing a wife, and Ms M. just seems so ordinary. And not in a good way. I admit that she knows how to keep her mouth shut and she wears clothes well.

And if she were dating some princeling of some minor principality she'd probably be perfect.

But a future QUEEN OF ENGLAND?!

I don't know. I probably sound like a real snob......

I think people whether they like Kate or not are getting too caught up in the 'future Queen of England' scenario. Right now the only reason we're talking about Kate is that William somehow likes her enough to be seen with her. That's it! The Queen may be thinking how Kate will fit into the family but William, like any other boy his age, probably just wants a girlfriend.

Even in a best case scenario there are a lot of steps to take before a Kate is a Queen of England.

That is not to say that I dislike Kate. Her ordinariness is fine with me; my main concern is whether the girl William marries can form a strong partnership with him. If they can do that - even as ordinary looking young people - then they are off to a good start. The Danish princes and their women seem to be able to form strong partnerships even though each individual undoubtedly has their faults. So I think the ability to form a partnership is key and that's not something we're going to see evidence of by a few papparazzi pictures.

Only time will tell if this relationship is going to go farther. Kate and Wills will have to go through separation in the next few years due to his military training in the navy and air force.

One thing is going for them is their past history of living together and if they are smart- the history of Charles losing his true love because of his own military training. Also not being able to ask Camilla to marry him because he was not sure if she was the one until it was too late.:flowers:

One thing is going for them is their past history of living together and if they are smart- the history of Charles losing his true love because of his own military training. Also not being able to ask Camilla to marry him because he was not sure if she was the one until it was too late.:flowers:

Don't take any offense to this but comparing Charles and Camilla to William and Kate really annoys me. Just because Charles' first love was his true love doesn't mean that the same is true for William. Charles may have walked away from his true love but who knows if William is going to find himself in that position; first isn't always right. I've seen it happen in reverse: man meets woman who he loves but isn't in love with. The relationship is comfortable so he settles on it and gets married. Then man meets woman who he really should've married and would have found years later if he had the guts to be honest with himself. I'm not saying that kate isn't "The One." I'm saying that between these two relationships there are four completely different people involved. The situations that they're facing are different. The times are different. So don't take the outcome of one and apply it to another like some algebraical formula because I don't think that does anyone justice.

I doubt Kate and William will marry anytime soon. Only if they stuck it out another two more years and act mature, without the usual pictures of them falling drunk out of clubs and her waiting without any real job and hobby besides him, can I see any royal wedding between these two couple.

I also agree that we should not expect a wedding for these two,any time soon.And didn't Edward and Sophie date for many years before they married?

I also agree that we should not expect a wedding for these two,any time soon.And didn't Edward and Sophie date for many years before they married?

A lot of people thought he was gay...no?

I'm not saying that kate isn't "The One." I'm saying that between these two relationships there are four completely different people involved. The situations that they're facing are different. The times are different. So don't take the outcome of one and apply it to another like some algebraical formula because I don't think that does anyone justice.

That all four people are different and that the times are different is correct, neners. We can not take the outcome of one to apply to another. But the military training and some of William's characteristics in my opinion are very similar to his father at the same age. I feel that children are shaped in part by their family situation growing up. And we all know William and Harry's family situation. So I hope Prince William will think things out about Kate and not make the same mistake his dad did.:flowers:

Edward and Sophie did wait many years before marrying. I think they were a couple since maybe 1992/1 but they then around 1993/4 they allowed the extent of their relationship to become well known.

I think Edward has been the target of gay rumors since the 80s. The musical theatre stuff you know, opens him up to that kind of thing.... People are cruel about those gay stereotypes: a longtime single man, interested in musical theatre, maybe a little "light in the loafers," as they say.... I am sure the Royal Knockout Show didn't help his situation. Didn't he have to wear tights for that? :D

That all four people are different and that the times are different is correct, neners. We can not take the outcome of one to apply to another. But the military training and some of William's characteristics in my opinion are very similar to his father at the same age. I feel that children are shaped in part by their family situation growing up. And we all know William and Harry's family situation. So I hope Prince William will think things out about Kate and not make the same mistake his dad did.:flowers:

I don't think William is going to fall into the trap of marrying someone that is suitable for his position but not his character, if that is what you mean.

But right now, I see the biggest potential mistake that William may make would come from his his ambivalence towards his very public role and the press and that has nothing to do with Charles but rather I think from growing up so close to the media frenzy that surrounded Diana. Quite frankly I think he got sick of the papparazzi long before he even knew Kate and so I think he's failed to differentiate between the legitimate press and how they can be useful to the monarchy and the people his mother associated with who definitely were not helpful to the monarchy.

I think he's going to have to unlearn some attitudes he has accumulated over the years but the transformation will not happen overnight.

But until that happens, I see no reason for him to bring a new woman into the fold of the Royal Family. He needs to get himself straightened out first.

I strongly agree with ysbel. I have suspected that William is badly scarred from the paparazzi scrums that floated around Diana, and from the tacky media circus that she dallied with, i.e. her little chats with Richard Kay and all of that stuff. I have the additional suspicion that perhaps William has another enemy to tango with: his own DNA traits. I used to think he inherited the best of both his parents. Now I am thinking that he inherited one of Diana's worst qualities: stubbornness. He seems to have none of that wonderful willingness to learn from his elders that Prince Charles had at the same age. Now mind you: I realize that perhaps Charles was too passive. But I think in William's case, a little bit more passivity would be a good thing. William seems to lean too much to the opposite extreme, and this quality seems directly handed down to him from his mother. How often did Diana do exactly what she wanted to do no matter how many people tried reasoning with her?
:ermm:

not wanting to start a pro/anti diana debate i'll say this:

we've already had a potential queen consort that was discreet and wore clothes very well and that turned out horribly wrong. on the other side of the coin, this same potential future queen started out ordinary but became the best advertisement for british designers ever, touched the lives of a lot people and brought some very serious yet backburner causes to the forefront. who knows what amazing things this young woman could do if she has the opportunity and uses it in a positive way.:flowers:

Shouldn't Prince William marry who he loves?
Just like dear old dad did and everyone thinks she's such a gem just because Charles loves her.

Shouldn't Prince William marry who he loves?
Just like dear old dad did and everyone thinks she's such a gem just because Charles loves her.

No, it can't be that simple even with "ordinary" people. Because sometimes (often) many people fall in love with "wrong" people. So there has to be some brainy wisdom to factor into the decision as well. One has to seriously consider if the person one loves reciprocates that love, and if this person is appropriate in the important ways. For "ordinary" people, one could be in love with someone who treats you inappropriately or has some other inappropriate behavior. For a future king, there are other ways to be wildly inappropriate on top of the "normal" considerations. Suffice it to say that LOVE is never simple. It is never the only consideration, not for anyone, not for a royal, not for a future king.

...Quite frankly I think he got sick of the papparazzi long before he even knew Kate and so I think he's failed to differentiate between the legitimate press and how they can be useful to the monarchy and the people his mother associated with who definitely were not helpful to the monarchy.
So so so true...it's a shame how blurred the lines have become between real journalists and tabloid journalists. And with how much celebrities have cooperated with these types of journalists...it has made them more mainstream.

His mother was an expert at PR and knew how to use the tabs...but it set a bad example for her sons, especially since she can't guide them properly anymore...and the rest of the royal family has always been hopeless when it comes to press attention.

To be honest, Harry seems to handle the press better anyway. I saw the Matt Laurer interview and he was more poised than William which was surprising. He could speak better too...Will was all um, uh...like...um...

I would like to see William performing more official acts. I dont see pictures of him or his brother Harry working on anything. It's just parties at night and travels with their respective girlfriends.
At least one of them could attend some royal party in abroad.

it's funny how people keep referring to them as "boys". when do they stop being "boys" and become "men". i think they've passed that threshold and should step up. william has a lot of serious decisions to make in his life, most importantly whether he wants to be monarch. i realize there's so more involved than simply saying he doesn't want the job but if he's going to do it then he needs to start showing that he takes it seriously. as for marriage it would be a huge mistake to cave into the same kind of pressure that his father did and marry someone that he didn't love. catherine appears to be able to handle all the media pressure but so did diana. catherine appears poised and discreet but so did diana. it's what we don't see that will also matter. does she WANT to life her life under the microscope and in glare of the media? she hasn't verbally indicated one way or the other. everything looks great from where she stands right now - break off william and go back to a seemingly normal routine or marry him (if that's what ultimately do) and have the fortitude to live under enormous scrutiny while still having the strength to deal with all that comes with it.

Kate Middleton is said to believe she and Prince William will be engaged by Christmas, according to sources close to the couple.
Royal Anecdotes

No, it can't be that simple even with "ordinary" people.
Wow...this is brilliant and I couldn't agree more. I am sorry to sound like a snob but "love is enough" is a very foolish idea even for non-royalty, let alone Royalty who should consider a lot more than love when choosing a partner.

BTW, Kate looks like Lauren Conrad from The Hills...I just noticed the resemblance...

I think people whether they like Kate or not are getting too caught up in the 'future Queen of England' scenario.
What bothers me most is the way the Press in the UK is actively sort of "pimping" this young woman. When William and Kate broke up I couldn't believe all the trashing Prince William got! (One columnist-I think it was Richard Kay? Came out and said Prince Charles should pay for Kate to go abroad for a year. I could NOT believe it!) What did William do that was so wrong? A twenty something year old man who dated a young woman and decided he wasn't ready for cmmitment to her.

But the way some of the British press turned on the kid, you'd have thought he did something HORRIBLE! Ingrid Seward hinted that they had gotten "cheated" out of possibly the "first real Royal Wedding of millenium"

Excuse me?? FIRST TRULY ROYAL WEDDING? I suppose Felipe of Spain doesn't count as Royal??

What bothers me most is the way the Press in the UK is actively sort of "pimping" this young woman.
The press seemed to be acting as if he's cheating the country the longer he doesn't settle down, most likely because if he is going to be king he'll need to start producing heirs. However, there are many, many people these days who do not get married in their 20s. And, ahem, his father did not marry until he was 32. Of course the woman he married was still fairly young.

It's not as if they wouldn't have the technology to enable William and *wife* to have children if he marries later in life...

I guess if William is guilty of anything (and just to be clear, this is not an indictment, but is merely speculation) it could be that he led on Kate. I imagine he was uncertain of his readiness to commit for a long time, and if so, then maybe did lead her on. I hope he didn't renew the relationship just so that he can string her along again. Unless he is sure that he wants the same thing she wants, they shouldn't be a couple.

I think he's going to have to unlearn some attitudes he has accumulated over the years but the transformation will not happen overnight.

But until that happens, I see no reason for him to bring a new woman into the fold of the Royal Family. He needs to get himself straightened out first.
What attitudes? I rightly don't know. Sorry.

I guess if William is guilty of anything (and just to be clear, this is not an indictment, but is merely speculation) it could be that he led on Kate. I imagine he was uncertain of his readiness to commit for a long time, and if so, then maybe did lead her on. I hope he didn't renew the relationship just so that he can string her along again. Unless he is sure that he wants the same thing she wants, they shouldn't be a couple.

I don't know if he "lead her on"...I don't know what was said between them. But I DO feel that part of the reason he reconciled with her is that he got so much heat from people, and the Press about how "poorly" he treated her which is just rubbish in my opinion.

Ever since the death of the Princess of Wales, the world media in general and the Brit press in particular is on the lookout for another Royal "It" girl. Let's face it, magazines like Royalty Monthly and even Majesty came into existence in 1981 for a reason, it was so that they would have a reason to document Diana's EVERY move and new outfit. (I always felt they should rename it "Diana Monthly" and quit the hypocrisy.)

After their golden goose was killed they have seen their circulation go way down. Majesty had a silly article called "Has the William and Kate Era Already Begun?" early last year complete with speculation on where "the newlyweds" would make their home, and how many children they would have. BTW...this article hit the presses the same month that William and Kate broke up.

Poor William, I would run like hell too if I was him. Because the first people who are going to turn on him like cobras if he marries this girl and it turns out wrong is going to be the British tabloids, mark my words.

He is in a no-win situation here, IMO.

What bothers me most is the way the Press in the UK is actively sort of "pimping" this young woman.
The tabloids just like her...even the American magazines were rooting for Kate when he broke up with her.

The tabloids just like her...even the American magazines were rooting for Kate when he broke up with her.

Well, I read a LOT of the American tabs, and they were either indifferent(People Magazine) or downright gleeful (The Enquirer, The Star and The New York Post)

The Americans were mostly insinuating that either Kate was being pushed forward by her arriviste family, or that HM the Queen had put the kibosh on the poor girl as too "common".

I don't recall even one that was really rooting for Kate, not like "Hello!" Magazine was, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom