The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovGen View Post
And unfortunately, it is looking like William won't be the saviour he has been touted to be.
Here is a point on which many, I think, who are on both sides of the monarchy argument will agree with you. Republicans will say that Prince William is a sign of what they consider is typical Windsor freeloading laziness. Liberals might say he is just too conservative like the 'Establishment' to be a good "modern" monarch. And the 'Establishment' will not like him either, because they will say he is too dangerous with his likeness to his mother.
One side says he is too much like his father (and they mean this in a negative way) while the other side says he is too much like his mother (also in a negative way). Yet does no one appreciates that he may be a blend of his parents and that there may be something positive about such a blend?

Old 10-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
She has definitely met Charles before. Think she was in the Royal Box for the big horse race one year (the one with everyone in hats).

It is too bad that the RF wants to remain as the old-fashioned establishement with the direct heirs choosing conservative women as wives. In todays modern times with high technology, instant communication, etc., the RF seems to continue in their old ways and a lot of ridicule towards this institution is because of that. I don't see the British monarchy lasting long beyond HM unless they change from these Victorian times they project. Charles seems to be lost in his own ways and commands very little respect. And unfortunately, it is looking like William won't be the saviour he has been touted to be.
Charles commanded quite a bit of respect before his first wife used her charisman and power with the media to tear down Charles' public reputation. Its possible he will never recover from the attack and since William like many sons has many character traits in common with his father, William's reputation is starting to take a beating along with his father as a side effect of his mother's campaign of more than 15 years ago. This is why the Royal Family is justifiably cautious about the women they allow into their family.

That having been said, I think William can find a woman who can help modernize the monarchy; however, she will have to show the royal family she respects the way it is now and that she can work within the rules its laid out. Once she's shown she can live within the rules they set forth, she can be more free to put her own stamp on things and if her relationship with her husband remains cordial and mutually self-beneficial she will be able to influence him in the normal course of a marital relations towards modernization.

There is an old adage: first learn how to follow the rules and then you can break them. Don't break the rules until you fully understand what you're breaking.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-14-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
LOL First Miss Middleton makes sure that she looks good on paparazzi pics before complaining that she was caught on camera on a private occasion Same business as usual.
I thought you would be Happy, Duke, because you got your wish with Prince Harry (or maybe you didn't want it to be Harry) going to the Rugby world cup, and England won!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I thought you would be Happy, Duke, because you got your wish with Prince Harry (or maybe you didn't want it to be Harry) going to the Rugby world cup, and England won!
Oh yes I was I saw Harry and thought, ok, at least he made his way, but maybe only because he has a personal interest
I wonder who will show up for the final. Somebody has to be there - either Gordie or a member of the BRF
Old 10-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
LOL First Miss Middleton makes sure that she looks good on paparazzi pics before complaining that she was caught on camera on a private occasion Same business as usual.
Most women come down to breakfast fully dressed and wearing make-up and earrings! They wouldn't dream of going out 'naked' to any event, they always have dressed and I should imagine always will!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:37 PM

I'm sorry, Duke, but I have to tease you a bit... you exaggerate so much about Kate getting "fixed up"! She brushed her hair; she put on the lightest makeup, from what I can tell; she looks neat and clean. What is so "fixed up"? Most young women want to look decent no matter what they are doing, even for sports, and especially in her case! Dating a prince! Around his royal relatives! Goodness, like she would go around Bal-freaking-moral with un-brushed hair!
Old 10-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
But the whole point of the monarchy is that it's old fashioned and conservative. I don't get why people are suprised at that.
Well, as the modern world continually moves forward the monarchy is gathering dust. If it is going to be irrelevant and outdated beyond being just a tourist attraction then it should be dissolved. A tourist attraction involving real people and not characters (ie. Disneyland), and for the press to promote or destroy at their leisure, that's not a good thing.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Charles commanded quite a bit of respect before his first wife used her charisman and power with the media to tear down Charles' public reputation. ...
I tend to think Charles managed to lose a good deal of respect entirely on his own. Among many foot-in-mouth moments, one of his infamous quotes comes to mind, "Whatever love is".
Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I tend to think Charles managed to lose a good deal of respect entirely on his own. Among many foot-in-mouth moments, one of his infamous quotes comes to mind, "Whatever love is".
Oh sweet Jesus! I saw that interview when it happened and at the time, everybody thought Charles' little statement 'Whatever love means' was so cute and endearing. Just like a typical man who gets embarassed when he's forced to talk about love in front of a million people. Believe me, until Diana decided to make a big deal out of it, nobody thought anything of it.

It took several years and quite a public relations campaign against Charles for that little quote to become 'infamous'. At the time and for a long time after it was just seen as cute and endearing.

But the fact that you remember this quote as 'infamous' despite how it was received initially shows how successful the public campaign against Charles was.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Well, as the modern world continually moves forward the monarchy is gathering dust. If it is going to be irrelevant and outdated beyond being just a tourist attraction then it should be dissolved. A tourist attraction involving real people and not characters (ie. Disneyland), and for the press to promote or destroy at their leisure, that's not a good thing.
That is possibly true. The monarchy is a hereditary institution where members do not choose their duty but instead are born to it and fulfill as best as they know how despite whatever feelings or limitations they themselves possess. It is not a system based on choice or free will or even merit and inasmuch as free will and the idea that every man can and should make his own destiny and achieve whatever he deserves by merit alone is the prevailing philosophy of the age, perhaps an old-fashioned institution based on being born to a duty and fulfilling it despite one's merit is no longer relevant to the modern world.

However families are still relevant to the modern world and the oldest of businesses is the family business which the royal families personify. One's position in a family business does not just depend on one's merit but on one's position in the family. This was as true of the Rockefeller and Forbes empires as it is true today for the Murdoch empire and the British Royal Family. I think the British Royal Family who has checks and balances and seeks to give something back to the people of Britain are a more charitable family enterprise than the Murdochs but others may think differently.

So I still think a family business engaged in the business of representing a country can be relevant; however I may be a minority.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I'm sorry, Duke, but I have to tease you a bit... you exaggerate so much about Kate getting "fixed up"! She brushed her hair; she put on the lightest makeup, from what I can tell; she looks neat and clean. What is so "fixed up"? Most young women want to look decent no matter what they are doing, even for sports, and especially in her case! Dating a prince! Around his royal relatives! Goodness, like she would go around Bal-freaking-moral with un-brushed hair!

She is also wearing dangling earrings which seem kinda ridiculous to wear while hunting. But whatever...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
It's just about her usual behaviour that I am forced to see in the papers every day. I am so tired of girls like her who claim this but behave like that. She claims to be pursued by the paps but hangs out around Bijous twice a week. She wants to be left alone but then steps out fully styled with her sisterhood project. When she pulled out for whatever reason, of course the media was to blame. What I find most disturbing about her and I have said before that there is no direction in her life. She's 25, has done her studies and now? Not much apart from dating a prince every now and then, working a bit in fashion, thinking about becoming a photographer or going on vacation. It's a bit early to see her relationship with William as a kind of life insurance.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:10 AM

Well, I can't argue against Principessa: the dangle earrings are not a usual choice for something like this, deer stalking, but I guess to some women, going without earrings period is equal to going out naked.
Then again, what's the point of going out stalking with the royal ghillies if you don't look good doing it? And let's face it and be honest, it's not like she looks that great anyway. And it's not to say she looks bad, she doesn't look bad either, just like a city girl *trying* to be country.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Well, I can't argue against Principessa: the dangle earrings are not a usual choice for something like this, deer stalking, but I guess to some women, going without earrings period is equal to going out naked.
Then again, what's the point of going out stalking with the royal ghillies if you don't look good doing it? And let's face it and be honest, it's not like she looks that great anyway. And it's not to say she looks bad, she doesn't look bad either, just like a city girl *trying* to be country.
..... or perhaps, Kate just went shooting wearing whatever earrings she happended to have on at the time, and did not bother to specially "dress down!"
Old 10-15-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Oh sweet Jesus! I saw that interview when it happened and at the time, everybody thought Charles' little statement 'Whatever love means' was so cute and endearing.
I agree it was adorable when he said this. Also the whole quote in this interview: "I'm amazed that she's been brave enough to take me on...." Then (in answer to question about being in love) "Whatever love means...."
It was classic self-effacing Prince Charles.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
What I find most disturbing about her and I have said before that there is no direction in her life. She's 25, has done her studies and now? Not much apart from dating a prince every now and then, working a bit in fashion, thinking about becoming a photographer or going on vacation. It's a bit early to see her relationship with William as a kind of life insurance.
Its possible that if Kate had a real direction in her life, she'd scare off the Royal Family. It has happened to other candidates.

My favorite candidate for Charles' wife wasn't Diana or Camilla but rather Lady Jane Wellesley, the daughter of the Duke of Wellington and quite an interesting character. She was strong, self-confident in public, and really adored Charles although she knew all his faults. That's not all; she had a career as an art dealer and handled that and the press attention with aplomb. I used to love the way she would tell the press to bugger off and they would love her even more. When one of the reporters asked her if she didn't want to be Princess of Wales, she snapped back, "I've already got a title, thank you very much, sir." and all the press exclaimed what spirit she had and how lucky Charles was to have her.

But the couple broke up and it was not due to lack of feelings on either of their part. Charles and Lady Jane have remained close friends ever since. However, part of it was Jane's hesitation at losing so much independence to a royal institution and part of it was the Royal institution thinking that Jane was too self-directed and independent-minded to fit in with the Royal Family.

They tend to think that being the heir's wife is a full-time career in and of itself and in the past they haven't wanted the prospective bride to be distracted by any other competiting interests or careers.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I agree it was adorable when he said this. Also the whole quote in this interview: "I'm amazed that she's been brave enough to take me on...." Then (in answer to question about being in love) "Whatever love means...."
It was classic self-effacing Prince Charles.
Exactly. And the way that Charles would answer each question, 'Well I don't know, what do you think?" (talking to Diana).

A lot of things got reinterpreted over the years and while Charles and Diana were not the simplistic (and rather idiotic sounding) lovebirds that they appeared at first, I don't think either of them was the picture that was painted of them in later years.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Its possible that if Kate had a real direction in her life, she'd scare off the Royal Family. It has happened to other candidates.
You might be right ysbel. Interesting point of view. If it is true I find it very sad. I find it essential that monarchy is represented by people who know who they are and what they want, at least in these demanding modern societies. People must see a clear benefit and identify with the representatives or the monarchy will be made redundant, maybe not in the near future but further ahead. Times have changed and being a princess has become a full time job, especially for a commoner, who has to do very well to earn respect. Nothing will be safe in Britain once QE II has left our planet and I am not sure that a girl like Kate is a good choice for a future King.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

So she went for a long weekend with William and Charles in Balmoral?? I think that says a lot! However I think they are not engaged yet othwerwise that will be public!!!! When the engagement will be real we will all know by a pres conference for sure like all the other royal houses!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Most women come down to breakfast fully dressed and wearing make-up and earrings! They wouldn't dream of going out 'naked' to any event, they always have dressed and I should imagine always will!
A major generalisation I would say. Many women are not quite as superificial.....

Tags
kate middleton, prince william