The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

[quote=Skydragon;692941]
Quote:
The first point is that nowhere did I mention people on this board, merely the people invloved in the negative press campaign as posted by PRPrincess.
I didn't suggest that as the first sentence of my post shows (not sure why you left it off the quotation): How do you know that only people who have no option but to work for their own living have this perception of Kate?

Quote:
Second point, do you know what Catherine does apart from the occasional shopping trip (I'm sure we all go shopping more than once a year) and the occasional night dancing (I confess I have been out more than once a week at times).
How can any of us say she has no direction to her life, do any of you personally know this girl, have regular chats about what she is doing/ wants to do... No I thought not.
Hmmm ... in my earlier post I said 99% of posters on this forum are no insiders to the Kate and Wills story and neither is the author of this article but nevertheless this is exactly what I think of Kate and how she comes across in public for me.

There is nothing to add. She comes across to me as somebody without direction. If she has one, fine, but I and many other people can't see it.

Quote:
It all seem to be a case of what other people want to do, how they want to live their lives, however I do have to wonder if everyone complaining about her perceived lack of direction/lifestyle, given a real choice, would really be content to work in a dead end job for the rest of your lives. I would imagine everyone who works for a living saves hard to ensure that when they retire they can do all the things they wanted to do when they had to work! Why should she live her life in the way other some people think she should? I don't think any woman should wear the low cut trousers with or without thongs, but it doesn't mean for them, that I am right and they must immediately cover up!
Kate can live her life however she wants to but I don't see any princess or queen material in the way she does, that's all. People might disagree but for me she has simply gambled away all credit she used to have in the public opinion by her recent RAG way of living and the no comment attitude of her royal pal Wills doesn't help here - it rather adds to her crumbling image.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I didn't suggest that as the first sentence of my post shows (not sure why you left it off the quotation). How do you know that only people who have no option but to work for their own living have this perception of Kate? :
Because to me I left on what I considered the pertinant part of your post, but to answer you question, does anyone have any evidence to suggest that people from the same wealthy background, who do not work, have the same perception of her - probably not. Money gives you options that are not available to those without.
Quote:
in my earlier post I said "99% of posters on this forum are no insiders to the Kate and Wills story and neither is the author of this article but nevertheless this is exactly what I think of Kate and how she comes across in public for me".
Kate can live her life however she wants to but I don't see any princess or queen material in the way she does, that's all. People might disagree but for me she has simply gambled away all credit she used to have in the public opinion by her recent RAG way of living and the no comment attitude of her royal pal Wills doesn't help here - it rather adds to her crumbling image.
I'm sure she will be relieved to know that she can live, as an ordinary young woman. Public opinion is only based on the stories in the media, she hasn't changed what she is doing, she hasn't changed her ideals or her way of life to accomodate the media at any time.

Until she becomes engaged to William, nobody should be placing their ideas of how to live, on her.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

[quote=Skydragon;692960]
Quote:
I'm sure she will be relieved to know that she can live, as an ordinary young woman.
Sorry but I don't see Kate's lifestyle symptomatic for a lifestyle of "an ordinary young woman".

Quote:
Until she becomes engaged to William, nobody should be placing their ideas of how to live, on her.
Poor Kate. It must be difficult to be with a royal who will leave her in the line of fire by not commenting on their relationship. In a few years Wills will present his future wife and state a relationship with Kate was just a rumour.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:11 AM

What Kate is doing with her life is not much a question of having money and options. Chelsy has more money than Kate and also has a life, which she uses to the fullest and takes advantage of her plethora of options. Kate has not capitalized on her options, if appearances are accurate. She could do much more than work at a buyer job, part-time, join a charity race and quit before the event.... She went to university but she doesn't use her degree or pursue further studies. She has options, yes, but she does not use any of them.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

PARTIAL QUOTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
In a few years Wills will present his future wife and state a relationship with Kate was just a rumour
At which point she will thank whatever gods she believes in, that she didn't waste her life, living as other people wanted her too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Chelsy has more money than Kate and also has a life, which she uses to the fullest and takes advantage of her plethora of options..
Chelsy is still at university, hardly taking advantage of any options. I also havn't heard of Chelsy doing any more than Catehrine with her life.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Chelsy is still at university, hardly taking advantage of any options. I also havn't heard of Chelsy doing any more than Catehrine with her life.
Going for a postgrad degree is a GREAT thing to do! How is that not taking advantage of options?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well if we're not insiders and we are just guessing then we could all be wrong.

This is why I'm not that interested in Wills and Kate right now. They don't look settled. It doesn't mean that they aren't settled and it doesn't mean that they won't be settled in the future. There's too many unknowns with them.

But I think that the difference between me and others on this board is that it doesn't bother me if there are unknowns about Wills and Kate. As long as they appear unsettled and lacking direction I won't pay much attention to them and then if things change and they seem like they have direction, I'll start paying attention to them again.

I don't understand the urgency for Kate to get settled NOW and fix her public image NOW! William is not going to be king for a long time. They can be doing this on again off again dating for quite some time and then if they get settled and focused, I was thiking that people will forget about what happened before. It happened with Carl Gustaf of Sweden who had a very low reputation as a playboy in the swinging seventies and yet now no one talks about Carl Gustaf's earlier public image anymore - he's a senior statesman.

I'm puzzled that it seems no one can see the future of William and Kate being any different than what they are today and things can change a lot with people in a few years. It can happen with us, why can't it happen with them?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Going for a postgrad degree is a GREAT thing to do! How is that not taking advantage of options?
I was just thinking the same thing! Chesly has demonstrated that she is head and shoulders above Kate in that respect, who merely completed a degree and has since wasted her time.

I find it insulting to assume that everybody who dislikes Kate must be "envious" or jealous of her lifestyle. These days it's actually more common for women from the upper classes to pursue a career and try to make something of their lives. Moreover most of those people have alot more money than Kate!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
But his father didn't fall out of nightclubs drunk all the time, instead he created a sucessful venture out of the Duchy of Cornwall and used the money to do something for others. There is enough work there the prince is surely only to happy to share: engagements to encourage young adults for the Prince's trust for example.
he did indeed carve out a purpose for himself but it's taken decades and william will do the same. i was just saying that all this discussion about william's lack of direction reminded me of the same sort of discussions that were going on about charles when he was in his 20's. william participating in the prince's trust probably won't happen though. i read somewhere recently that the royals don't like to share the spotlight when it comes to these kinds of things. the prince's trust is charles project. william will find his place...his footing...just as his father did.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It is hardly out earning her corn though is it. She is studying but with her fathers money behind her, (the same as Catherine) no charity involvement, etc. What is she going to do if she completes her course - nothing probably, but only time will tell.
Quote:
........ (edited) These days it's actually more common for women from the upper classes to pursue a career and try to make something of their lives.
I don't believe it is 'more common' for upper class girls to work, that is why the few who do, make the papers. Going out to work or studying does not automatically make you a nice or kind person. Look at most work or class situations and you will see some real b*tches. You do not have to be in paid employment to make something of your life, apart from the rich who choose not to work, ask any stay at home wife or mother!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
It is hardly out earning her corn though is it. She is studying but with her fathers money behind her, (the same as Catherine) no charity involvement, etc. What is she going to do if she completes her course - nothing probably, but only time will tell.
Of course she is studying with her dad's money. That is one of the benefits, the "options" we were talking about. If she didn't use that, she would be silly.
There is nothing bad about using her dad's investment in her future.... It will help her to get a hot job down the line, or to become an academic, or to go on into politics, whatever. Hardly a waste of time.

Though I don't mean to belittle what Kate is doing..... maybe she gearing up for something great in her own quiet way. I just meant to say that, on some level, Duke of Marmalade has a point.... I guess it just depends on a person's values as to whether or not Kate is wasting her talents with an idle life. Some might say that her many vacations and shopping is giving her a freedom that her future royal role won't allow, others will say it is a waste of time and makes her look desperate.....
Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Of course she is studying with her dad's money. That is one of the benefits, the "options" we were talking about. If she didn't use that, she would be silly.
There is nothing bad about using her dad's investment in her future.... It will help her to get a hot job down the line, or to become an academic, or to go on into politics, whatever. Hardly a waste of time.
The point is that she could, if and when she completes her course, just go home and sit on her behind.
Quote:
Though I don't mean to belittle what Kate is doing..... maybe she gearing up for something great in her own quiet way. I just meant to say that, on some level, Duke of Marmalade has a point.... I guess it just depends on a person's values as to whether or not Kate is wasting her talents with an idle life. Some might say that her many vacations and shopping is giving her a freedom that her future royal role won't allow, others will say it is a waste of time and makes her look desperate.....
Some might indeed say that, but we all go shopping, we all went or go to clubs and parties, the only difference here is that very few people sit and pull us to pieces for it. A lot of people go off on holiday 2 or 3 times a year, the only difference is they have no option but to work to earn the money.

A person should not be judged, on what we don't know and because they are lucky enough to have the choice to live a different lifestyle. Just because she is lucky enough to choose to live a different life, should not attract the spiteful. negative remarks she has been getting in articles, written by people who can't even claim to know a friend of a friend of a friend! The fact that some choose to be so spiteful, smacks of jealousy, after all, who in their right mind would turn down the opportunity to be able to choose?

I strongly object to the assumption that everybody who chooses not to work is lazy, unfulfilled, unworthwhile, unable to make something of their lives, wasters, etc, etc.

At the moment she is simply an ordinary citizen who happens to also be an on off girlfriend, if she does become engaged to or marries William, even then it is her life and much as others would like to (it seems), nobody can make her live her life how they want her to.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Royal Highness

catherine is not unlike millions of other 20 something's all over the world who go to university, get a degree then have no idea what to do with their lives. i completely agree that if her parents are funding her education and/or lifestyle then they're doing it by their own choice...why does it matter to anyone else? because if she's aimless as a private citizen it'll make her aimless and undersireable as a consort? i don't think it will. catherine will have ample outlets to channel her energy into if/when the opportunity presents itself. until then if she wants to sit on her behind in a bar or in the sun or in a shop then it's her business not ours.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Royal Highness

Duchess, I totally agree with you about Kate.

I think for Kate to act this way - she as a understanding with William about the future of the relationship. I am going on woman intution. But everything that I know of Kate seems to indicate that she is smart and knows her future.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
catherine is not unlike millions of other 20 something's all over the world who go to university, get a degree then have no idea what to do with their lives. i completely agree that if her parents are funding her education and/or lifestyle then they're doing it by their own choice...why does it matter to anyone else?
So true...

As for her parents...I think they fund her lifestyle to put on a front that they are a tad more wealthy than they actually are. I have no doubt that she is supported by both parents and William for these vacations and clothes...etc...

Someone on TFS met her in a club and said that she also gets tons of free clothes and accessories sent to her. The way they worded it was that she really had no intentions of wanting to see that dry up anytime soon...
Old 11-14-2007, 08:30 PM

There is nothing wrong or unusual about parents paying for their kids' university education. Even people who aren't wealthy do that because they see it as an investment into the kids' future.

Also there is nothing wrong about Kate's parents paying for her London flat and other expenses. It is their choice and they will have their own personal reasons for doing it.

You can tell Kate gets freebies. It is pretty obvious. Most people who are even marginally in the public eye get freebies. Some people not even as famous as Kate get them. It's kind of ridiculous how many freebies some designers hand out.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Courtier

I don't think there is anything wrong with her parents helping her...I just think they look at it as an investment. Cause they are obviously hoping she will score the grand prize...
Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with her parents helping her...I just think they look at it as an investment. Cause they are obviously hoping she will score the grand prize...
Ugh, I think that's just terrible - those pushy-type parents. Talk about pressure! it's really the worst kind. Why can't people be happy if their child takes a shine to a person with just a big heart?! Not that William doesn't have that, but you all get my drift..

In that sense, I don't get the sense that Chelsy on the other hand, has the kind of parents that want her to dig up a prince.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga View Post
Ugh, I think that's just terrible - those pushy-type parents. Talk about pressure! it's really the worst kind. Why can't people be happy if their child takes a shine to a person with just a big heart?! Not that William doesn't have that, but you all get my drift..

In that sense, I don't get the sense that Chelsy on the other hand, has the kind of parents that want her to dig up a prince.
I kind of agree with Zembla that Kate's parents are hoping to score the prize. But with Chelsy, I can see all over her happy, confident face that she comes from a loving home. She just oozes the sense that her family showered her with care and love. They probably will do anything for her. If she wants to go to postgrad school, they will pay. If she wants to chill it at the beach house, they will pay. They just want her happy. At least that is the sense I have from pictures and articles. I bet she could marry anyone and Daddy would be just thrilled. Doesn't she seem like a classical Daddy's Girl? She seems like that to me.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I can barely find the words to tell you how much I agree with you! The mistaken perception of those that have no option but to work for a living is based on envy and sometimes spite! You do not have to be in paid employment to have a happy, fulfilling, busy or worthwhile life.

Just because you are lucky enough not to have to work certainly doesn't mean you are a doormat, rather that you have the chance to be an independent, free spirited and confident person!
Skydragon, you are absolutely the best. I totatlly agree. The constant carping about what Ms. Middleton does with her time -- IN SOME QUARTERS -- is envy. Pure and simple. Because if those same young girls were offered the same choices, I challenge any of them to turn down a wonderful apartment in Chelsea, and mom daddy's millions to go on vacation -- with their good looking prince. Envy pure and simple. The Middletons are private citizens accountable to absolutely no one for how and why they spend their money as they do. And if Kate wants to sit home everyday, it is her business and no one else's.

{deleted comment about another forum - Elspeth}

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, prince william