The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Aristocracy

I read this article and don't know what to believe, so I'm wondering what does everyone think of it...

The Royalist - A Right Royal Cover-up For William?

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 11-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
I really don't think he's confused as he is taking his time and making sure. The confusion on his part evaporated when he saw that she could very well go on without him and be just fine. If he didn't want her, they would not have reconciled. If they ever broke up to begin with, about which I have my doubts.

The handwriting is very much on the wall. I expect to see them in Westminster Abbey in a few more years.
When I mentioned William's confusion, I certainly wasn't talking about Kate but about his confusion about his life in general - his legacy as Charles and Diana's son, a single man with traits and loyalties to two separate people who at once loved each other but ended up hating each other to intensity, his immense love for the memory of his mother but his great disgust at the legacy of press intrusion that she left, his mistrust of the press, his fondness for Camilla the woman but his distaste for Camilla's role in his parent's breakup, his status as the most sought after and photographed young man of his generation, his future as the King of England, his rather long waiting around time while his grandmother and father to do their thing, his being restricted during that time from some things because of his exalted position.

Simply put, William has a lot to be confused about.

Love does not conquer all. Even Wonder Woman couldn't solve those problems much less Kate herself. And Kate appears like she has some points of confusion now too. She started by being very unfriendly to the press and not really enjoying the attention. Lately she has seemed to enjoy the attention which is not a bad thing but it is a change to her previous behavior. Is she getting comfortable with the press in a way that William is not? Is that a source of tension? Is he getting uncomfortable with her being more comfortable with the press? Is she getting annoyed that he can't just relax? Kate didn't lose her mother to a high speed chase by the police, she doesn't have William's point of reference so she can't understand it. So can she reconcile this confused and rather hurt young man with the sweet and conscious person that attracts her so much?

I don't know - like I said, I don't pretend to read William and Kate's minds but seeing their actions offer a lot of other interpretations other than the handwriting is on the wall - they're walking in Westminster Abbey in a few months to couple of years.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picmajik View Post
Yes--if she is trying to be future royal material she should act accordingly.
Something, like that. However, "once she starts growing up" is not what I'll will say for a soon to be 26 year old, maybe a 18 year or Chelsy.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
- they're walking in Westminster Abbey in a few months to couple of years.
I'm Just curious.... If Kate does marry William, do you suppose their wedding will be an Abbey wedding? Was York 1986 the last royal Abbey wedding?

I just wonder sometimes if William and Kate won't do something more like Wessex 1999 and go for St. George's in Windsor. I know he's the Heir Presumptive and probably a future king, so people seem to expect a big extravaganza for his wedding. Do you suppose it's inevitable that Will's wedding is to be another like the 1980s royal weddings? It will be interesting to see if the British public will even want such an extravaganza for William, considering that a lot of the expenses will be tax money, and the British public seems already to want a more scaled-down monarchy.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Nobility

Well the British public probably feels like this now, but when an engagement is announced they will get that royal wedding fever and want the best of the best no matter what they have to pay.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Royal Highness

all the talk about william's confusion about his purpose and place reminds me so much of all the same talk about his father when he was about the same age. remember how the media said he had a long wait before he would become king so what should he be doing? the uncertainty about his role while "waiting to become king" made charles very unhappy as i remember. now william is going through the same scenario, albeit some of the issues are different, but overall it's very similar.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
all the talk about william's confusion about his purpose and place reminds me so much of all the same talk about his father when he was about the same age. remember how the media said he had a long wait before he would become king so what should he be doing? the uncertainty about his role while "waiting to become king" made charles very unhappy as i remember. now william is going through the same scenario, albeit some of the issues are different, but overall it's very similar.
But his father didn't fall out of nightclubs drunk all the time, instead he created a sucessful venture out of the Duchy of Cornwall and used the money to do something for others. There is enough work there the prince is surely only to happy to share: engagements to encourage young adults for the Prince's trust for example.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Gentry

if i were in their shoes i'd be confused too. they have to think twice before each move they make as they're not allowed to make mistakes. i know i'd feel horrible being in a relationship in which every new ring i'd wore would be considered an engagement one.why can't we give them the right to do things at their own pase?get married when they want to, if they want to without being pressured to take a decision.i know will lives on tax payers' money but shouldn't he have the right to choose who likes and get married when he's ready?i think having a quuen whim he can trust and love would do much good to the monarchy.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
But his father didn't fall out of nightclubs drunk all the time, instead he created a sucessful venture out of the Duchy of Cornwall and used the money to do something for others. There is enough work there the prince is surely only to happy to share: engagements to encourage young adults for the Prince's trust for example.
i don't think nightclubs were such a big trend during his father's time, and i don't think the preass was as crazy. something tells me charles' behaviour wasn't very different that will's. and plus will has his dad to take on the engagements as he is not next in line to the throne. charles didn't have that, as he himself mentioned multiple times.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Aristocracy

"i don't think nightclubs were such a big trend during his father's time," Prince Charles was raised during the sixties and seventies, of course nightclubbing was there during his time.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

Here's an article I found based on Kate Middleton work ethics, from Australia:

Why be a royal doormat Kate Middleton? | Herald Sun

What do you guys think? My opinion I quite agree!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Princess View Post

IMO the writer is just being jealous and petty considering she has never met Kate and basing her opinions on gossip, unnamed sources etc. since Kate has never given an interview. That fact that Kate's parents can support her until she marries or finds her career,is luck of the draw. IMO The people who whine she should be working are just envious.
We don't know William and Kate's relationship so calling her a "royal doormat" is a pretty big leap in my opinion. So if she was working, she wouldn't be a doormat? Just because you don't work doesn't mean you can't have a fulfilling life or be busy and you can still be a doormat if you work.
The only people Kate has to answer to right now are herself, her parents and to a certain extent William. Because until she marries William, it really isn't anyone's business yet.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
i don't think nightclubs were such a big trend during his father's time, and i don't think the preass was as crazy. something tells me charles' behaviour wasn't very different that will's. and plus will has his dad to take on the engagements as he is not next in line to the throne. charles didn't have that, as he himself mentioned multiple times.
I think perhaps the Prince was more discreet and the press was less intrusive. We're hearing now about how Prince Charles and Camilla Shand used to go to night clubs, as well as Princess Anne and Andrew Parker Bowles. I just don't recall hearing about it at the time.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I think perhaps the Prince was more discreet and the press was less intrusive. We're hearing now about how Prince Charles and Camilla Shand used to go to night clubs, as well as Princess Anne and Andrew Parker Bowles. I just don't recall hearing about it at the time.
The reason could be that the people of the nightclub were more discreet, the other guests had no cell phone to call the papers and the prince and princess behaved better than their aunt. I doubt readers of the tabloids of that time were interested to read about the horsey set going out into a nightclub for dinner, dance and drinks - all rather tame. They all knew that this was the way entertainment and night life in London was for the upper class, but at that time much more scandalous things happened in London with no member of the RF taking part in it. And it was a time where drinking and smoking was as normal as cleaning your teeth in the morning - no news in there. Today drinking is much more frowned upon and the public much more critical - so now it's news.

Just let me add: Charles and Anne behaved within the restrictions of their station. William and Harry don't take the rules serious enough, so they have deep scratches on their image.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Princess View Post

99% of posters on this forum are no insiders to the Kate and Wills story and neither is the author of this article but nevertheless this is exactly what I think of Kate and how she comes across in public for me. If it's not true, well, pity that neither William or Kate bother about their public reception because depending on what they want to achieve they should be bothered.

Kate had so much potential to be different and it's amazing to see that she only was able to end up as a RAG (Royals and Girlfriends, thanks to Susan Alicia )
Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde View Post
..... IMO The people who whine she should be working are just envious.
We don't know William and Kate's relationship so calling her a "royal doormat" is a pretty big leap in my opinion. So if she was working, she wouldn't be a doormat? Just because you don't work doesn't mean you can't have a fulfilling life or be busy and you can still be a doormat if you work.
The only people Kate has to answer to right now are herself, her parents and to a certain extent William. Because until she marries William, it really isn't anyone's business yet.
I can barely find the words to tell you how much I agree with you! The mistaken perception of those that have no option but to work for a living is based on envy and sometimes spite! You do not have to be in paid employment to have a happy, fulfilling, busy or worthwhile life.

Just because you are lucky enough not to have to work certainly doesn't mean you are a doormat, rather that you have the chance to be an independent, free spirited and confident person!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
Well, I think Prince Charles sometimes went to nightclubs but rarely, as his personality was not so much inclined towards that kind of life, and besides that, he was a hard working guy already with naval duties and undertaking regular engagements, and helping with his mother's Silver Jubilee....

But Camilla certainly went to clubs, the old school classy ones like Harry's Bar, Annabel's.... they've been around since the 70s and were immediately popular with the Sloane Ranger crowd. Didn't Annabel's close recently?

Anyway, the nightclub scene is not new. What is new, I think, is the paparazzi and camera phones, and the tabloid spies-for-hire. While the paparazzi was in development phase in the 70s, it was by all accounts very.... well, it was early days, and even the paparazzi in those days had some respect. Their pictures tended to be innocent by today's standards.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
The reason could be that the people of the nightclub were more discreet, the other guests had no cell phone to call the papers and the prince and princess behaved better than their aunt.... And it was a time where drinking and smoking was as normal as cleaning your teeth in the morning - no news in there. Today drinking is much more frowned upon and the public much more critical - so now it's news.

Just let me add: Charles and Anne behaved within the restrictions of their station. William and Harry don't take the rules serious enough, so they have deep scratches on their image.
The owners/managers of the nightclubs were much more protective of their 'guests', any sign of being even slightly drunk and discreet arrangements were made for your exit. Any photographers were banned from the premises and if they did try to get a scoop, they were quite likely to have their cameras removed, forcibly. Drinking and smoking were normal, but even in the streets, it was rare to find young people staggering about, full to the brim with alcohol. The older people who were caught were charged with being drunk and disorderly! William and Harry are doing the same as some other youngsters and indulging in binge drinking, which should be frowned upon by everyone.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
IThe mistaken perception of those that have no option but to work for a living is based on envy and sometimes spite! You do not have to be in paid employment to have a happy, fulfilling, busy or worthwhile life.

Just because you are lucky enough not to have to work certainly doesn't mean you are a doormat, rather that you have the chance to be an independent, free spirited and confident person!
How do you know that only people who have no option but to work for their own living have this perception of Kate? I am sure there are people on this board who don't work and feel the same about her - and what a strange suggestion that people could actually envy her for her lifestyle vacation, shopping and clubbing is nice once in a while but I am rather horrified imagining those activities would become the main focus in my life until a prince may finally pop a question.

You are right, you don't have to be on a paid job to have a happy and fulfilling life etc. What is missing is the direction. I'd rather not call going on vacation, leaving a club at 3am during the week on a regular basis or quitting a half time job a direction unless you plan a career on WAG level - but certainly not if you have any intention to marry the future heir to the british throne.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I am sure there are people on this board who don't work and feel the same about her - and what a strange suggestion that people could actually envy her for her lifestyle vacation, shopping and clubbing is nice once in a while but I am rather horrified imagining those activities would become the main focus in my life until a prince may finally pop a question.

You are right, you don't have to be on a paid job to have a happy and fulfilling life etc. What is missing is the direction. I'd rather not call going on vacation, leaving a club at 3am during the week on a regular basis or quitting a half time job a direction unless you plan a career on WAG level - but certainly not if you have any intention to marry the future heir to the british throne.
The first point is that nowhere did I mention people on this board, merely the people invloved in the negative press campaign as posted by PRPrincess.
Second point, do you know what Catherine does apart from the occasional shopping trip (I'm sure we all go shopping more than once a year) and the occasional night dancing (I confess I have been out more than once a week at times).
How can any of us say she has no direction to her life, do any of you personally know this girl, have regular chats about what she is doing/ wants to do... No I thought not.

It all seem to be a case of what other people want to do, how they want to live their lives, however I do have to wonder if everyone complaining about her perceived lack of direction/lifestyle, given a real choice, would really be content to work in a dead end job for the rest of your lives. I would imagine everyone who works for a living saves hard to ensure that when they retire they can do all the things they wanted to do when they had to work! Why should she live her life in the way other some people think she should? I don't think any woman should wear the low cut trousers with or without thongs, but it doesn't mean for them, that I am right and they must immediately cover up!

Third. Diana 'worked', as a part time cleaner for her sisters friend, but it could hardly be considered a real job and as an assistant at a childrens nursery, again nothing taxing there, so what 'help' did it give her in becoming wife to a prince, none.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, prince william