Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 1: October-November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the part time basis that she worked, no she would have probably got the job through friends of her sister.

the agencies/kindergarten that she worked for may have been suggested by friends of her sister but she still would have had to apply for the position.

The agencies back then were either questionable to say the least or the main players Norland and Kensington insisted on full training, which Diana never had.

it's highly unlikely that a family such are the roberston's would register with a "questionable" agency. as for training, since diana's responsibilities involved the smaller children and, as you say changing nappies she probably didn't need much formal training for that.

I consider stay at home mothers and fathers to be the absolute backbone of any society and they do one of the most important and hardest jobs going. :flowers:

but what you implied is that the responsibilities she had were unimportant and not considered a "working background". parents, at least most parents that play a hands-on role in the lives of their children, do these very important things and since diana was being paid a wage for doing it then it is considered a working background.

...I believe she had to apply to be considered, they are always recruiting and the standard practise is to send your CV, stating education and interests. She may have had the luxury of an interview at their home, but she still probably had to apply.

skydragon, you've been out of the workforce too long. :) catherine's stint at Jigsaw was an example of networking at it's best. she was most likely not interviewed for her position. it's obvious that she was considered for the job on the basis of her connection to the future King. as an assistant "buyer" :ermm:(as the media chooses to incorrectly refer to her position) she would have had to have experience in retail purchasing at some level which, considering her age, she wouldn't have. also, knowing that she worked only part time and was entitled to extensive vacation time for someone that hadn't been with the company very long tells you that a) her hours of work and time away were all negotiated to her benefit and b) Jigsaw saw her only for marketing purposes and took advantage of that, not to mention that i believe the owners are friends of either parents or someone she knows and they did her a favor by hiring her and this is where they benefitted.

Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
What sane person who does not roam in William's circles would not be proud for their daughter to marry him?

I think Richard Branson did say that her daughter might not be interested to be William's wife because of the formality. But, yeah.. we never know.

I know my mom did mention to me and all my siblings not to be involved with any royalty becoz she cant stand any royal protocol. She may only refer specifically to the royal families in my country eventhough they are not 'so popular'..:D But I wont say she will agree on other royalties too...:lol:

but what you implied is that the responsibilities she had were unimportant and not considered a "working background". parents.

From what I read of Diana's education and early life, the kindergarten stint wasn't considered by her or her family as a working background. It was a 3 day a week half day job which she wouldn't have done if her job as a ballet teacher for children hadn't failed.

Diana was a bit aimless when she met Prince Charles and her father helped her out at a lot of steps of the junction. Unlike her sisters, she had failed her O levels, her parents sent her to a finishing school in Switzerland, she got homesick and dropped out of that. She came back to London to live with her sister. I don't know how she got the job at the ballet school but it didn't last long. Then her father bought her a townhouse or apartment in a very exclusive building and she received income from the rent of her two roommates from her father's investment. She got the job teaching kindergarten 3 days a week for half days and then quit that job when the attention of the press got so much that it was scaring the children.

I believe the kindergarten job was gotten on the basis of the references from the Robertsons because you don't need a special degree to teach kindergarten. Diana had private nannying jobs with two families and I believed that at least one of them came from her father's friendships.

Wealthy and exclusive American families don't always go through the top agencies to find top quality childcare. There was a mini scandal awhile back when a prospectvie Attorney General of the US was found out to have hired an illegal alien to raise her children.

I wouldn't say "have to" but "want to". And sometimes a job does not allow people to accommodate other people's schedules, even if they want to; unless they are employed by Jigsaw, of course ;)
And do we actually know how many times Catherine has had to say 'I can't get the time off'?

And do we actually know how many times Catherine has had to say 'I can't get the time off'?

No we don't - but we don't know either if she had to ask at all when she wanted to take time off.

Originally Posted by Duchess
skydragon, you've been out of the workforce too long. :) catherine's stint at Jigsaw was an example of networking at it's best. she was most likely not interviewed for her position. it's obvious that she was considered for the job on the basis of her connection to the future King. as an assistant "buyer" :ermm:(as the media chooses to incorrectly refer to her position) she would have had to have experience in retail purchasing at some level which, considering her age, she wouldn't have. also, knowing that she worked only part time and was entitled to extensive vacation time for someone that hadn't been with the company very long tells you that a) her hours of work and time away were all negotiated to her benefit and b) Jigsaw saw her only for marketing purposes and took advantage of that, not to mention that i believe the owners are friends of either parents or someone she knows and they did her a favor by hiring her and this is where they benefitted.

Duchess, you hit the nail on the head :flowers:

the agencies/kindergarten that she worked for may have been suggested by friends of her sister but she still would have had to apply for the position.
I believe, as an assistant, therefore with no real responsibility, (or so it was considered back then), it would probably have been a case of the owner mentioning she needed a couple of assistants to a mother, who replied that a friend of hers had a younger sister looking for some extra cash. That is how it worked, according to friends. :flowers:
it's highly unlikely that a family such are the roberston's would register with a "questionable" agency. as for training, since diana's responsibilities involved the smaller children and, as you say changing nappies she probably didn't need much formal training for that.
Which is why I conclude that she got the job by the means already mentioned.
but what you implied is that the responsibilities she had were unimportant and not considered a "working background". shortened quote.
Had Diana been in charge of or doing the majority of the work, then I would consider it a working background. Had she completed training, for the post, of some sort. But like Catherine, each job she had was part time (in fact 3 mornings less per week, without any famous or royal boyfriend at that time) and unlike Catherine she only met with women from a similar life that her sisters enjoyed.
I believe that her parents helped her get the job, I also accept that they probably skipped over the interview at headquarters. However it is not that hard to get a trainee buyer position at any of the major retailers, with a degree. Almost all of the major retailers here, constantly advertise, in their stores and the papers for 'trainee buyers', trainee managers' etc. Even Tesco in Inverness and Dingwall has adverts up for both. I accept that she has an arrangement that she can work 10 days over a couple of weeks, in order to have extra time off, due probably to her involvement with William. We had the daughter of a friend working for us, who had a similar arrangement and she was paid pro-rata if she had to have too many extra days. It was agreed and arranged with her parent and the girl herself, she wasn't reliant on our money to pay her way and the arrangement worked for us all.

Duchess, I have never been in the workforce, I am one of these ghastly (or so it seems from some of the comments) members of society that has never had to be in paid employment (and not because of who I married). :flowers:

Last edited:
I believe, as an assistant, therefore with no real responsibility, (or so it was considered back then)it would probably have been a case of the owner mentioning she needed a couple of assistants to a mother, who replied that a friend of hers had a younger sister looking for some extra cash. That is how it worked, according to friends. :flowers:Which is why I conclude that she got the job by the means already mentioned. Had Diana been in charge of or doing the majority of the work, then I would consider it a working background. Had she completed training, for the post, of some sort. But like Catherine, each job she had was part time (in fact 3 mornings less per week, without any famous or royal boyfriend at that time) and unlike Catherine she only met with women from a similar life that her sisters enjoyed. I believe that her parents helped her get the job, I also accept that they probably skipped over the interview at headquarters. However it is not that hard to get a trainee buyer position at any of the major retailers, with a degree. Almost all of the major retailers here, constantly advertise, in their stores and the papers for 'trainee buyers', trainee managers' etc. Even Tesco in Inverness and Dingwall has adverts up for both. I accept that she has an arrangement that she can work 10 days over a couple of weeks, in order to have extra time off, due probably to her involvement with William. We had the daughter of a friend working for us, who had a similar arrangement and she was paid pro-rata if she had to have too many extra days. It was agreed and arranged with her parent and the girl herself, she wasn't reliant on our money to pay her way and the arrangement worked for us all.

Duchess, I have never been in the workforce, I am one of these ghastly (or so it seems from some of the comments) members of society that has never had to be in paid employment (and not because of who I married). :flowers:

the fact that you've been fortunate enough not to have "had paid employment" doesn't make you ghastly regardless of what some people think.

at the risk of derailing this thread into a "diana discussion" i'll refrain from addressing the portions of the post regarding diana...suffice it say that i disagree.

as for the catherine portion - my point is entirely that catherine was probably hired as what is referred to in the retail industry as a "category asistant" and does mostly administrative jobs, pretty much the same as a secretary or administrative assistant. they track stock levels at stores, address stock issues with store managemen and do tons of data entry...all the grunt work but no buying. having said that, working 3 days a week is nowhere near enough time to adequately do that kind of job. for all we know, she may not even have been receiving a pay cheque. perhaps they had some sort of arrangement whereby she appeared to "work" for them and in return for the "privilege" (for lack of a better word) of using her name/being connected to a "celebrity". however, if for some reason she ever decides to go into the retail business, or fashion business, she can still put it on a cv (resume for all us north americans) as gainful experience. yes it's very common for businesses to advertise for trainees at all levels but this wasn't the case with catherine. even with the degree she had (art history? or something like that?) she wouldn't be doing a buyer's job with that kind of degree that's for sure. it's obvious that this job was never meant to lead anywhere or last long and sure enough it's turned out exactly that way. i don't hold that against her though.

Last edited:
.... my point is entirely that catherine was probably hired as what is referred to in the retail industry as a "category asistant" and does mostly administrative jobs, pretty much the same as a secretary or administrative assistant. they track stock levels at stores, address stock issues with store management and do tons of data entry...all the grunt work but no buying. having said that, working 3 days a week is nowhere near enough time to adequately do that kind of job........ it's obvious that this job was never meant to lead anywhere or last long and sure enough it's turned out exactly that way. i don't hold that against her though.
Here that would be a stock control clerk. Perhaps we should re-label her job as assistant to the buyers assistant. :D Now these are the boys and girls that are sent out to get the sandwiches, make the coffee, field the phone calls that the buyers assistant does not want to take. I know of a couple of young women who took up posts as trainee buyers, (one with a degree in Geography), who moaned that all they did was chase up suppliers and make the tea. I was surprised either of them knew how to make tea! :D

Here that would be a stock control clerk. Perhaps we should re-label her job as assistant to the buyers assistant. :D Now these are the boys and girls that are sent out to get the sandwiches, make the coffee, field the phone calls that the buyers assistant does not want to take. I know of a couple of young women who took up posts as trainee buyers, (one with a degree in Geography), who moaned that all they did was chase up suppliers and make the tea. I was surprised either of them knew how to make tea! :D

a "clerk" is a lower position than an "assistant" but that's probably more in line with what catherine was doing however you couldn't have the potential future queen was a lowly clerk (sorry to any clerks out there...i'm just being facetious) it just isn't glamorous enough.

. Diana never had to apply for or be interviewed for a job, Catherine does. Diana was just one part time cleaner for her sisters friend, so not really an earning your living job or gaining experience in anything except a bit of dusting. Working in a children's nursery, she was a very low in the pecking order assistant, probably only allowed to change nappies and help play with the children. Neither of which shows a 'working background', IMO. In fact it should have trained her on being a wife and mother.
Catherine has the honesty to admit, just like many 'ordinary' boys and girls, that she is not sure what direction she wants her career or indeed life to take. She has tried working in the buying department, (backstage job) of a major retailer, which many youngsters try.
Did any of Diana's jobs help her become a princess or a patron, clearly not. She only mixed within a very small select group (her sisters friends and friends of their friends).

Catherine has mixed, in the real world, with ordinary everyday people. As an assistant buyer, she would also have dealt with many suppliers and ordinary workers, she will have seen how to deal with many different people and situations. She would also have seen the workings of how a buying department handles such things as budgets.

As you can see, I don't think Catherine could be classed as a lazy princess, if she does become one. As for the 'enjoys shopping', don't we all? I have also seen no evidence of year round holidays, just the normal 2 or 3, couple of weeks away that most ordinary, working full time people take.

First of all she was a part time person. She only worked three days a week, unlike "Normal" person they work 7 or even 5 days a week.

Second, are you saying people who work as cleaners and teacher assistant in day cares are not a "real world" work? If that was you intention, thats offending anyone who does this kind of work, especially my mother. :glare:

Lastly, I do agree with the fact there nothing wrong in shopping, vacationing or even having a good time, but there is an extent to the point when are we going to take "Catherine" serious. If she is concerned of the duties of being a Princess or a Queen, then are we sure she is the right person for this job? (It is a job, in case everyone forgot!)

Last edited:
Poor lad, has no privacy, even with his hair. People should not be judged by how much hair they have.

I don't think these were posted before. Kate went to the Halloween party at, surprise surprise, Mahiki.

http://www.lfi.co.uk/dynevent-action-nl.do?orderby=asc&eventid=536285

BTW, to mizzy2006: No offense about Richard Branson. I think he seems like a funny guy, and his kids rock. But I don't know if Sir Richard exactly qualifies as "sane"! :D But I mean that in a "good" way naturally.... :cool:

First of all she was a part time person. She only worked three days a week, unlike "Normal" person they work 7 or even 5 days a week.
Many 'normal' people never work at all, those that do work, can work for a variety of days or even hours. The normal 'allowed' working week is 37 hours. I don't think I have met anyone who claimed to work 7 days a week, except unpaid parents.
Second, are you saying people who work as cleaners and teacher assistant in day cares are not a "real world" work? If that was you intention, thats offending anyone who does this kind of work, especially my mother. :glare:
I said both of Diana's jobs (3 half days a week for each job held at different times) would not qualify her as having a working background. If I go and dig a few plants up in my friends garden, does that mean I can call myself a landscape gardener and claim to have a working background? Everyone seems to be complaining that Catherine, (unlike Diana :rolleyes:) hasn't had a real job, when in fact Catherine has been working an extra 3 half days each week!
Lastly, I do agree with the fact there nothing wrong in shopping, vacationing or even having a good time, but there is an extent to the point when are we going to take "Catherine" serious. If she is concerned of the duties of being a Princess or a Queen, then are we sure she is the right person for this job? (It is a job, in case everyone forgot!)
She isn't a princess or queen at the moment though is she, it is not even on the horizon as far as anyone knows. If she lives her life as others want her to, in preparation for becoming a 'princess', are you all going to give her back her lost time if she doesn't marry William? Is everyone going to turn around and say, you go out and have some fun, make up for lost time, I seriously doubt it, they will all continue pursuing the next woman for a good shot, intermingled with trips to the clubs and holidays.

Last edited:

The Sun picked on him for the bald spot too (again, for the hundred thousandth gazillionth time) :lol:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article473511.ece
They said he had gone to Mahiki with a "mystery blonde".
I wish they wouldn't pick on him for that bald spot. It's getting old, and it's mean. By 30, his hair will look something like Prince Edward's hair, and if the media keeps on like this, William's baldness will detract from everything he does, even the charitable works. That won't be good.

They're both clubbing solo again...I wonder if they are off again...

He should do something about the bald thing...I mean jesus...he has enough money to fix it before he loses it completely.

He should do something about the bald thing...I mean jesus...he has enough money to fix it before he loses it completely.

Why should he have to do anything about it?

There is a "new" picture of Kate, from an Italian news article with the date of 4 October, this year. I never saw this pic before and it's different. It looks like Kate locked her keys in her car and the guy behind her is trying to open the car for her. She is looking at the paps as if to say, "What? I'm not human?" :doh:

Picture

Source: Novella2000

They're both clubbing solo again...I wonder if they are off again...

Yeah, I think they aren't really together in a serious way as the tabloids would like people to think. Because, would you really believe that they could continue in this manner for another 2-3 yrs if it was serious?

BTW, to mizzy2006: No offense about Richard Branson. I think he seems like a funny guy, and his kids rock. But I don't know if Sir Richard exactly qualifies as "sane"! :D But I mean that in a "good" way naturally.... :cool:

Yeah..looks funny:D but he's billionaires...who cares :lol: and the children seems to have good direction too so far..

I don't think these were posted before. Kate went to the Halloween party at, surprise surprise, Mahiki.

London Features International Ltd

i'm wondering who the guy is? is it a) a body guard/personal protection...that would explain why he's so close to her or b) a date...that would explain why he's so close to her.

The Mail on Sunday is making another bold claim. Despite that the couple have spent much time apart lately, apparently leading independent (maybe even separate) lives, Katie Nicholl insists that they are planning yet another trip to the Indian Ocean islands. :rolleyes: Nicholl quotes her unidentified "mole" as her principal source. Nicholl's "mole" claims that the Rodrigues getaway will be his Xmas present to Kate.
William to whisk Kate off to love island | the Mail on Sunday

Kate's coat is so pretty. I do hope they are either together or not together, if you know what I mean. I don't know how anyone can do "casual dating" because, for me, that is just confusing and misleading. I think when people try dating multiple people, someone ends up being hurt.... My advice to them is to either date or move on. Door A or Door B. No flitting between. They have dated now since 2004 and it is time to end the games. In or out, committed or not, take it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom