Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 1: October-November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfectly stated!

The reason could be that the people of the nightclub were more discreet, the other guests had no cell phone to call the papers and the prince and princess behaved better than their aunt. I doubt readers of the tabloids of that time were interested to read about the horsey set going out into a nightclub for dinner, dance and drinks - all rather tame. They all knew that this was the way entertainment and night life in London was for the upper class, but at that time much more scandalous things happened in London with no member of the RF taking part in it. And it was a time where drinking and smoking was as normal as cleaning your teeth in the morning - no news in there. Today drinking is much more frowned upon and the public much more critical - so now it's news.

Just let me add: Charles and Anne behaved within the restrictions of their station. William and Harry don't take the rules serious enough, so they have deep scratches on their image.

I agree! Charles and Anne behaved and they didn't have to deal with the constant media coverage/instant reporting as William and Harry do now. There should be a way to still be able to go clubbing but be aware that all actions are watched and can show up in the media the next day.

Good story, mizzy.... It reminds me that many of the royal wives closer to Kate's home also didn't have to work. Like Countess is always pointing out, look at Camilla. Camilla didn't work any punch clock job and makes a fine princess. ;)

Yeah..why not? Determination is the best policy....:D That's your goal, that's what you choose to get.. but need to mention not too many quota left anymore..Book your place and stay focus :cool: But, first advice, dont be too obvious..:lol:

I have no objection if any lady choose to stay at home than to be a career woman.. But I support any statement showed that you should not wait until 'the ring' comes to you especially right after graduation. As a recruitment consultant, interviewed man and ladies, millionaires or non millionaires' daughter/son, go through lots of resume. I did meet with few higher ranking ladies who at last put a stop in their career to raise up their children. Eventhough generally what a waste for ladies with such knowledge to stay at home but hey they've been there, done that..Now they choose what they want to be. At least, that can give some inspiration to their generation. I dont want my children in the future to stay at home after graduation, even though I can afford to have them at home. Experience is the knowledge that you can only get if you've been practising it not only by watching it..

Yes!

That is what parents are for, IMO. If Catherine and William feel they are a good match, then wonderful. If one or the other isn't happy, all the pushing and scheming in the world by parents, won't work. More than anything they have got to be sure, but meantime enjoy one anothers company and have some, discreet, fun! :lol:

I remember a concept called "dating". Why does every girlfriend have to be the ONLY girlfriend and promoted as "the one". Until there is a ceremony then anyone could be in the running. I certainly wasn't ready for marriage at 25, why should the Prince be? Doesn't anyone date more than one person at a time any longer? Until someone is engaged or married there wouldn't be an exclusivity clause.

William should be focusing on career goals and what to do as a king in waiting, a difficult job as there is no clear cut time-line on that. It took Charles a while to find his niche and given the Queen's health and genes it may be a long time in coming before William has that opportunity.
Her Majesty has stated in interviews that her happiest period was a young Navy wife before taking on more duties for her father as his health declined. William still has time to set his career goals and life goals and be able to revise them as needed.

When I graduated at 21 I thought I had my career set but after two years I decided I didn't have to put up with the US public education system any longer, changed to full-time photography (Hello, Kate!) and enjoyed that for many years. My goals shifted again after financial goals changed and now I work in IT (computer support) but still enjoy photography on the side. Your 20s should be for finding your way before it's difficult to make a change. If parents are willing to help kids on that path with financial support, more power to them! My mother did what she could to help with housing until I got my own apartment.

Summary--use your 20s to find your way. Everyone must find his own path, commoner or royal and there is no reason to set something in stone at this point, marriage, career or anything else. The only certain thing is he is the heir-apparent.

sounds like a parent with experience

True enough, I was just working on the premise that todays youngsters are so assertive and also coddled by comparison. Funnily enough some army friends were saying that conscription should be brought back and I said that it would be so hard nowadays to 'make' any youngster do something they didn't want to. :flowers: I can't imagine William or Harry marrying someone they didn't love and respect. :flowers:

Just TRY making someone do something they don't want to do! Some parents are better at the "guilting" than others. I think conscription should be brought back but I know that others wouldn't agree. I would also like to see manners and common courtesy brought back. I know I would have been back-handed by my grandmother if I had said half of what I hear in public today by young children. I'm only in my late 40s but even during the 60s and 70s I wouldn't have dreamed of running amok as so many were doing at the time. I think more responsibility around the house would be a start for some kids and enough of a shock that mommy isn't going to do everything for them the rest of their life.

New pics

Kate Middleton leaving Boujis with a friend, 1 November 2007
Source: Manuil Yamalyan/WENN (via Belga)
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

She looks pretty there...she has a nice profile.

Yeah, they are nice pictures. It sucks to be Kate sometimes, though, like when she's not leaving the club with William. Poor girl, having to take a common taxi instead of going home in the Land Rover with the bodyguards.
It always cracks me up that she rides a taxi home, but it's good. She sets a good example. No drunk driving. Well, she doesn't look drunk anyway, but still, it's good not to drive on any drinks, even if you "feel fine" or whatever.
Ok, I'm off the soap box. Sorry for the lecture. :D

Kate always looks pretty and flawless. I wonder whether she gets help with her hair and make-up?

I wonder whether she drinks alcohol? I can't recall seeing a picture of her looking drunk in any way - and I'm sure if one existed it would have done its rounds in the tabloids.

Wow, she looks different from other times when she's left night clubs...more refined? Even her clothes are different! She looks nice.

Gorgeous!!!!!!!! of course ive always thought so :)

Yeah..why not? Determination is the best policy....:D That's your goal, that's what you choose to get.. but need to mention not too many quota left anymore..Book your place and stay focus :cool: But, first advice, dont be too obvious..:lol:

I have no objection if any lady choose to stay at home than to be a career woman.. But I support any statement showed that you should not wait until 'the ring' comes to you especially right after graduation. As a recruitment consultant, interviewed man and ladies, millionaires or non millionaires' daughter/son, go through lots of resume. I did meet with few higher ranking ladies who at last put a stop in their career to raise up their children. Eventhough generally what a waste for ladies with such knowledge to stay at home but hey they've been there, done that..Now they choose what they want to be. At least, that can give some inspiration to their generation. I dont want my children in the future to stay at home after graduation, even though I can afford to have them at home. Experience is the knowledge that you can only get if you've been practising it not only by watching it..

I used to work with a woman who was very intelligent but she couldn't stand to be at work. She married a top manager in another department and as soon as she could, she quit work and became a housewife. Every time she came back to visit us, I got the impression that what she really wanted to do was play house. The husband and children were incidental. Personally I was glad when she left because she was a horrible and bitchy co-worker. People need to go somewhere where their strengths are needed and some women have much stronger nesting instincts than others. I couldn't count for you the number of women here who have law degrees and have never used them - in fact the number of women here who have law degrees and got married and never went to work.

I think it is admirable to think that most women today want to make their own way on their own and I'm sure that's what the media tells us that's what we want but I'm not sure that most women today want that. There are still a lot of women who are quitting the fast track at work and opting for the mommy track. If they had a good degree and a high profile job before then they are called a consultant and they get thrown a little money but their main job is being mommy.

Now you are seeing more guys staying home for the daddy track but its not nearly so common as the mommy track.

I am a professional person, but I regularly take months off work for no other reason than I can afford to and work bores me. Then I find a new job and I'm back working! It suits me, and it suits my personality. I have no husband nor children, I simply fill my time with other things that I enjoy more. Am I lazy? I don't think so, I work quite hard, studied hard at uni and have well paying jobs that can be very stressful. This suits me more than slipping into some zombified state where I work from 7am -8pm with nothing else in my life to show for it.

If Kate can afford to not work then why not? She is going to open her own photo gallery, then I'm sure she is filling her days with preperations, not just sitting filing her nails, watching daytime TV and what not. I'm sure that she is not relying on William to support her, nor is she sitting around waiting for him to propose.

The first point is that nowhere did I mention people on this board, merely the people invloved in the negative press campaign as posted by PRPrincess.
Second point, do you know what Catherine does apart from the occasional shopping trip (I'm sure we all go shopping more than once a year) and the occasional night dancing (I confess I have been out more than once a week at times).
How can any of us say she has no direction to her life, do any of you personally know this girl, have regular chats about what she is doing/ wants to do... No I thought not.

It all seem to be a case of what other people want to do, how they want to live their lives, however I do have to wonder if everyone complaining about her perceived lack of direction/lifestyle, given a real choice, would really be content to work in a dead end job for the rest of your lives. I would imagine everyone who works for a living saves hard to ensure that when they retire they can do all the things they wanted to do when they had to work! Why should she live her life in the way other some people think she should? I don't think any woman should wear the low cut trousers with or without thongs, but it doesn't mean for them, that I am right and they must immediately cover up!

Third. Diana 'worked', as a part time cleaner for her sisters friend, but it could hardly be considered a real job and as an assistant at a children's nursery, again nothing taxing there, so what 'help' did it give her in becoming wife to a prince, none.

Wow, someone got angry about this article...just loving the fact that people are defending other, whom they don't know personally. :)

And for Diana, at least she showed to the people that she does have a working background, which means she was intended to help others and support all of her charities, which is not an easy job. So it indeed helped her to become a better princess. What do you want a lazy princess who does not care and enjoys shopping and taking year round vacations? I didn't think so!

I personally do know that life is not all about working, but it is part of making a living; just until that right person comes in my life, who knows! However, I know with my experiences as a working women, I can handle all the responsibilities of becoming a mother, which is harder than working an all night job. So when people who does care about the future of their country, should care the way "she live her life in the way other some people think she should," because she will be the future and a role model to all, not because their jealous.

Last edited:
I kind of agree with Zembla that Kate's parents are hoping to score the prize. But with Chelsy, I can see all over her happy, confident face that she comes from a loving home. She just oozes the sense that her family showered her with care and love. They probably will do anything for her. If she wants to go to postgrad school, they will pay. If she wants to chill it at the beach house, they will pay. They just want her happy. At least that is the sense I have from pictures and articles. I bet she could marry anyone and Daddy would be just thrilled. Doesn't she seem like a classical Daddy's Girl? She seems like that to me. :D

:D I think you are so right about this CasiraghiTrio!
I see obvious signs on Chelsy's face that she comes from a caring home with loving parents. She seems to have a very good and a very close relationship with her brother Shaun, and I've seen photos of Chelsy and her family together, and they all looked very close and loving towards one another.

I believe that Catherine Middleton has that same sort of loving support in her family. The photos of Catherine and her sister holding hands when leaving the clubs paint a portrait of two close sisters who rely on each other. The photos of Catherine with her mother show that they are a close mother and daughter.
About two months ago, there were even some photos of Catherine and her mother and sister having brunch at a cafe. They all looked very close and happy to be together. Catherine lives in a flat purchased for her by her parents, and she felt comfortable enough about her income to resign her job with Jigsaw and pursue an uncertain career as an abstract photographer. I think her father and mother are more than willing to do whatever they can to assist with their children's happiness in life, including helping to support them as they pursue their dreams.

Perhaps that's a part of the appeal of both Catherine and Chelsy for Prince William and Prince Harry? Both young women come from loving homes with parents who seem to be very caring and supportive, and who both seem to have intact marriages themselves. I think that would appeal to the two princes who are essentially from a broken home. Although their parents weren't actually divorced until a year before Diana's death, they were separated years before then, and Diana was to all intents and purposes a single mother.

Of course I don't know the status of their relationships, but both Catherine's parents and Chelsy's parents are still married and together. Those are good examples for both young women in this day and age of prevalent divorce, and maybe a very strong attraction for Princes William and Harry.

What sane person who does not roam in William's circles would not be proud for their daughter to marry him?

Maybe one who wants her daughter to have a life of her own and not one where she becomes public property. I should think many parents might be quite concerned about what such a future would have in store for their daughter and for the family as a whiole.

Not that I think Kate Middleton's parents are scheming or pushy or anything just because the tabloids have decided they are, but I could definitely see where some parents might not be thrilled by the prospect of a daughter marrying a senior royal.

And for Diana, at least she showed to the people that she does have a working background, which means she was intended to help others and support all of her charities, which is not an easy job. So it indeed helped her to become a better princess. What do you want a lazy princess who does not care and enjoys shopping and taking year round vacations? I didn't think so!
. Diana never had to apply for or be interviewed for a job, Catherine does. Diana was just one part time cleaner for her sisters friend, so not really an earning your living job or gaining experience in anything except a bit of dusting. Working in a childrens nursery, she was a very low in the pecking order assistant, probably only allowed to change nappies and help play with the children. Neither of which shows a 'working background', IMO. In fact it should have trained her on being a wife and mother.
Catherine has the honesty to admit, just like many 'ordinary' boys and girls, that she is not sure what direction she wants her career or indeed life to take. She has tried working in the buying department, (backstage job) of a major retailer, which many youngsters try.
Did any of Diana's jobs help her become a princess or a patron, clearly not. She only mixed within a very small select group (her sisters friends and friends of their friends).

Catherine has mixed, in the real world, with ordinary everyday people. As an assistant buyer, she would also have dealt with many suppliers and ordinary workers, she will have seen how to deal with many different people and situations. She would also have seen the workings of how a buying department handles such things as budgets.

As you can see, I don't think Catherine could be classed as a lazy princess, if she does become one. As for the 'enjoys shopping', don't we all? I have also seen no evidence of year round holidays, just the normal 2 or 3, couple of weeks away that most ordinary, working full time people take.

I should think many parents might be quite concerned about what such a future would have in store for their daughter and for the family as a whiole.

Not that I think Kate Middleton's parents are scheming or pushy or anything just because the tabloids have decided they are, but I could definitely see where some parents might not be thrilled by the prospect of a daughter marrying a senior royal.
I think you are right, even with Charles and Andrew many parents worked to ensure that a romance did not happen and it is so much worse now.

Diana never had to apply for or be interviewed for a job, Catherine does.
As an assistant buyer, she would also have dealt with many suppliers and ordinary workers, she will have seen how to deal with many different people and situations. She would also have seen the workings of how a buying department handles such things as budgets.

Do you honestly think that Kate has applied for the Jigsaw job in the same way Joe Average would have done and that the did the same work any other assistant buyer does in this tough business?

If you call Diana's job arranged to prepare her for a life as wife and mother than I would certainly call Kate's job arranged to accommodate to Will's needs and to be on stand by for leasure activities.

I am glad to see most people on the forum being positive towards Kate. That is good, because I really think she is okay. And even if all she wants to be is a housewife with a lot of kids - maybe that is why Prince William is attracted to her. Kate is normal and a maternal figure for him that he lost when his beloved mother died.

There must be something that keeps them together for so long. And I think it is what a lot of the people on this forum have hit upon. Kate is normal and she come from a loving, close family.:flowers:

. Diana never had to apply for or be interviewed for a job

don't forget diana was a part time nanny for the robertson's and would have had to be interviewed by the agency upon applying for work and by the robertson's to determine whether or not she was suitable. unless, of course, child minding agencies in the UK don't interview or do background checks?:rolleyes:

Working in a childrens nursery, she was a very low in the pecking order assistant, probably only allowed to change nappies and help play with the children. Neither of which shows a 'working background', IMO.

you don't consider these repsonsibilities important? i can tell you that as a working mother that's had to have child care these things are absolutely important and i think you'd be hard pressed to find a mother in the same position that would disagree. i'm no diana fanatic but i think her experience in a children's nursery was "working background" and she was smart enough and lucky enough to have found employment in an area that she obviously loved and excelled at.

as for catherine not applying for work, i'm sure she could have just about any job she wanted at this point as long as she was qualified but there are lots of people inthe world that get jobs through connections and are lucky enough not to have go through the whole application/interview process.

Do you honestly think that Kate has applied for the Jigsaw job in the same way Joe Average would have done and that the did the same work any other assistant buyer does in this tough business?
Yes I believe she had to apply to be considered, they are always recruiting and the standard practise is to send your CV, stating education and interests. She may have had the luxury of an interview at their home, but she still probably had to apply.
If you call Diana's job arranged to prepare her for a life as wife and mother than I would certainly call Kate's job arranged to accommodate to Will's needs and to be on stand by for leasure activities.
I didn't actually say it was arranged to prepare Diana for life as a wife and mother (In fact it should have trained her on being a wife and mother). As I am sure you are aware, even if Diana had married as her sisters did, she would not have been a full time mother and housewife, she would have had staff.

What you are forgetting with your statement that 'it was to accommodate Will's needs and to be on standby for leisure activities, is that William is an army officer, as well as a prince'. He, just like every other Officer, has to apply for and be granted time off. If he wants to take 2 weeks in February, he would have to have applied now, so unless he likes to 'spring' little holiday plans on Catherine, she too would have to have asked for the time off and possibly worked 'in lieu' before hand. I can't work out exactly what you mean by 'Will's needs'.

you don't consider these repsonsibilities important? i can tell you that as a working mother that's had to have child care these things are absolutely important and i think you'd be hard pressed to find a mother in the same position that would disagree. i'm no diana fanatic but i think her experience in a children's nursery was "working background" and she was smart enough and lucky enough to have found employment in an area that she obviously loved and excelled at.

Duchess as usual I agree with you. And if people will read my post before yours. I think that both William and Harry missed this loving, nuturing mother after she died and look for that in their girlfriends. :flowers:

What Diana did was fine and fit with her experience as she, an upper class or aristocrat (I can't keep those terms straight) did not have a formal post-graduate degree.

Kate to her detriment has kept the world guessing regarding her professional activities. Unfortunately for her, because no one knows what she is doing with her time (nor do some of us feel the need to know as if we are the hall monitor) the press will attribute every picture of her to "shopping," when she could very well be on a completely different errand with a stop in a shop thrown in.

Again I believe she and William know and have known for a long time now that eventually they will marry. And Kate (with the knowledge and approval of William and her parents) must have made a decision not to seek regular employment in order to enjoy her few carefree years before sacrificing her freedom to do as she pleases before joining William's family and working and being on display until the day she dies -- and beyond even. I don't begrudge her this time. It is her time, time she will never have again if she marries William. Nor do I begrudge anyone their millions, whether or not earned or inherited.

Last edited:
don't forget diana was a part time nanny for the robertson's and would have had to be interviewed by the agency upon applying for work and by the robertson's to determine whether or not she was suitable. unless, of course, child minding agencies in the UK don't interview or do background checks?:rolleyes:
On the part time basis that she worked, no she would have probably got the job through friends of her sister. The agencies back then were either questionable to say the least or the main players Norland and Kensington insisted on full training, which Diana never had.
you don't consider these repsonsibilities important?
I consider stay at home mothers and fathers to be the absolute backbone of any society and they do one of the most important and hardest jobs going. :flowers:

What Diana did was fine and fit with her experience as she, an upper class or aristocrat (I can't keep those terms straight) did not have a formal post-graduate degree.......
Diana was from a (titled) aristocratic family, which in the UK is seen as being at the top of the heap of the upper classes. :D
It is her time, time she will never have again if she marries William. Nor do I begrudge anyone their millions, whether or not earned or inherited.
You are right, it is her time, time that will never come again, whether she marries William or not. Why should we expect her to live a certain way, for the POSSIBILTY that she might marry into the royal family. What if she has already decided that William may be a fun friend or boyfriend but is not husband material? :rolleyes:

=
accommodate his schedule, be it duty (eg Cheltenham) or not ( eg clubbing, vacation etc) :flowers:
But we all have to do that, whether as boy/girlfriend, wife/husband, mother/father.

Last edited:
Good point. And thanks for the explanation of the terms. We have nothing near this in the States! Which explains my curiosity/fascination.:flowers:

Maybe one who wants her daughter to have a life of her own and not one where she becomes public property.
I said "proud" not necessarily wanting or scheming for their daughter to become part of the royal family.

But we all have to do that, whether as boy/girlfriend, wife/husband, mother/father.
I wouldn't say "have to" but "want to". And sometimes a job does not allow people to accommodate other people's schedules, even if they want to; unless they are employed by Jigsaw, of course ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom