Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 1: October-November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hardly out earning her corn though is it. She is studying but with her fathers money behind her, (the same as Catherine) no charity involvement, etc. What is she going to do if she completes her course - nothing probably, but only time will tell.

Of course she is studying with her dad's money. That is one of the benefits, the "options" we were talking about. If she didn't use that, she would be silly.
There is nothing bad about using her dad's investment in her future.... It will help her to get a hot job down the line, or to become an academic, or to go on into politics, whatever. Hardly a waste of time.

Though I don't mean to belittle what Kate is doing..... maybe she gearing up for something great in her own quiet way. I just meant to say that, on some level, Duke of Marmalade has a point.... I guess it just depends on a person's values as to whether or not Kate is wasting her talents with an idle life. Some might say that her many vacations and shopping is giving her a freedom that her future royal role won't allow, others will say it is a waste of time and makes her look desperate.....

Last edited:
Of course she is studying with her dad's money. That is one of the benefits, the "options" we were talking about. If she didn't use that, she would be silly.
There is nothing bad about using her dad's investment in her future.... It will help her to get a hot job down the line, or to become an academic, or to go on into politics, whatever. Hardly a waste of time.
The point is that she could, if and when she completes her course, just go home and sit on her behind.:flowers:
Though I don't mean to belittle what Kate is doing..... maybe she gearing up for something great in her own quiet way. I just meant to say that, on some level, Duke of Marmalade has a point.... I guess it just depends on a person's values as to whether or not Kate is wasting her talents with an idle life. Some might say that her many vacations and shopping is giving her a freedom that her future royal role won't allow, others will say it is a waste of time and makes her look desperate.....
Some might indeed say that, but we all go shopping, we all went or go to clubs and parties, the only difference here is that very few people sit and pull us to pieces for it. A lot of people go off on holiday 2 or 3 times a year, the only difference is they have no option but to work to earn the money.

A person should not be judged, on what we don't know and because they are lucky enough to have the choice to live a different lifestyle. Just because she is lucky enough to choose to live a different life, should not attract the spiteful. negative remarks she has been getting in articles, written by people who can't even claim to know a friend of a friend of a friend! :flowers: The fact that some choose to be so spiteful, smacks of jealousy, after all, who in their right mind would turn down the opportunity to be able to choose? :ermm:

I strongly object to the assumption that everybody who chooses not to work is lazy, unfulfilled, unworthwhile, unable to make something of their lives, wasters, etc, etc.

At the moment she is simply an ordinary citizen who happens to also be an on off girlfriend, if she does become engaged to or marries William, even then it is her life and much as others would like to (it seems), nobody can make her live her life how they want her to. :flowers:

Last edited:
catherine is not unlike millions of other 20 something's all over the world who go to university, get a degree then have no idea what to do with their lives. i completely agree that if her parents are funding her education and/or lifestyle then they're doing it by their own choice...why does it matter to anyone else? because if she's aimless as a private citizen it'll make her aimless and undersireable as a consort? i don't think it will. catherine will have ample outlets to channel her energy into if/when the opportunity presents itself. until then if she wants to sit on her behind in a bar or in the sun or in a shop then it's her business not ours.

Duchess, I totally agree with you about Kate.

I think for Kate to act this way - she as a understanding with William about the future of the relationship. I am going on woman intution. But everything that I know of Kate seems to indicate that she is smart and knows her future.:flowers:

catherine is not unlike millions of other 20 something's all over the world who go to university, get a degree then have no idea what to do with their lives. i completely agree that if her parents are funding her education and/or lifestyle then they're doing it by their own choice...why does it matter to anyone else?

So true...

As for her parents...I think they fund her lifestyle to put on a front that they are a tad more wealthy than they actually are. I have no doubt that she is supported by both parents and William for these vacations and clothes...etc...

Someone on TFS met her in a club and said that she also gets tons of free clothes and accessories sent to her. The way they worded it was that she really had no intentions of wanting to see that dry up anytime soon...

There is nothing wrong or unusual about parents paying for their kids' university education. Even people who aren't wealthy do that because they see it as an investment into the kids' future.

Also there is nothing wrong about Kate's parents paying for her London flat and other expenses. It is their choice and they will have their own personal reasons for doing it.

You can tell Kate gets freebies. It is pretty obvious. Most people who are even marginally in the public eye get freebies. Some people not even as famous as Kate get them. It's kind of ridiculous how many freebies some designers hand out. :lol:

I don't think there is anything wrong with her parents helping her...I just think they look at it as an investment. Cause they are obviously hoping she will score the grand prize...

I don't think there is anything wrong with her parents helping her...I just think they look at it as an investment. Cause they are obviously hoping she will score the grand prize...
Ugh, I think that's just terrible - those pushy-type parents. Talk about pressure! it's really the worst kind. Why can't people be happy if their child takes a shine to a person with just a big heart?! Not that William doesn't have that, but you all get my drift..

In that sense, I don't get the sense that Chelsy on the other hand, has the kind of parents that want her to dig up a prince.

Ugh, I think that's just terrible - those pushy-type parents. Talk about pressure! it's really the worst kind. Why can't people be happy if their child takes a shine to a person with just a big heart?! Not that William doesn't have that, but you all get my drift..

In that sense, I don't get the sense that Chelsy on the other hand, has the kind of parents that want her to dig up a prince.

I kind of agree with Zembla that Kate's parents are hoping to score the prize. But with Chelsy, I can see all over her happy, confident face that she comes from a loving home. She just oozes the sense that her family showered her with care and love. They probably will do anything for her. If she wants to go to postgrad school, they will pay. If she wants to chill it at the beach house, they will pay. They just want her happy. At least that is the sense I have from pictures and articles. I bet she could marry anyone and Daddy would be just thrilled. Doesn't she seem like a classical Daddy's Girl? She seems like that to me. :D

:clap:I can barely find the words to tell you how much I agree with you! :D The mistaken perception of those that have no option but to work for a living is based on envy and sometimes spite! You do not have to be in paid employment to have a happy, fulfilling, busy or worthwhile life.

Just because you are lucky enough not to have to work certainly doesn't mean you are a doormat, rather that you have the chance to be an independent, free spirited and confident person!
Skydragon, you are absolutely the best. I totatlly agree. The constant carping about what Ms. Middleton does with her time -- IN SOME QUARTERS -- is envy. Pure and simple. Because if those same young girls were offered the same choices, I challenge any of them to turn down a wonderful apartment in Chelsea, and mom daddy's millions to go on vacation -- with their good looking prince. Envy pure and simple. The Middletons are private citizens accountable to absolutely no one for how and why they spend their money as they do. And if Kate wants to sit home everyday, it is her business and no one else's.

{deleted comment about another forum - Elspeth}

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe it is 'more common' for upper class girls to work, that is why the few who do, make the papers.
That's your opinion, I know several women who certainly don't need to work but choose to do so. Moreover I wasn't thinking of the newspapers but people I know of personally.

Skydragon said:
Going out to work or studying does not automatically make you a nice or kind person. Look at most work or class situations and you will see some real b*tches.
I have no idea why you have even mentioned this as it certainly has no relevance to anything I have previously said.

I think that's a very accurate comment.

I think that's a very accurate comment.

:lol: Yes I think the same.

This whole rich girls don't work thing is so outdated these days and I find it horrifying to be suspected of being envy of this kind of lifestyle. There might have been a time in English upper class society (not even sure if Kate belongs there) when things worked this way but times change. If find it terrible that a young woman with a degree doesn't have a career or any direction apart from leasure in the year 2007. I wouldn't count on Wills popping the question - if he does he should hurry up because if he waits some more years Kate may have ruined her image completely - fooling around until the big fish has finally been cought.

Duke of Marmalade said:
This whole rich girls don't work thing is so outdated these days and I find it horrifying to be suspected of being envy of this kind of lifestyle.
I know very many upper class girls who do not choose to be in paid employment and it is far from outdated, IMO. They are able to fill their days doing what they want. If it is not envy what is it, she doesn't choose to live her life the way you want her to.

I would imagine that 99.9% of the population also don't live their lives how you want. I certainly don't and I don't envy anyone who has to earn their keep. I am happy that I was in a position to allow my children to choose whether to work.
That's your opinion, I know several women who certainly don't need to work but choose to do so. Moreover I wasn't thinking of the newspapers but people I know of personally.
I would imagine we all know girls from mega rich families who do not choose to be in paid employent. They do not seem to be the ones complaining though.:rolleyes:
"...... Going out to work or studying does not automatically make you a nice or kind person. Look at most work or class situations and you will see some real b*tches. You do not have to be in paid employment to make something of your life, apart from the rich who choose not to work, ask any stay at home wife or mother!"
I have no idea why you have even mentioned this as it certainly has no relevance to anything I have previously said.
You are not the only person on this thread and I don't think the moderators would take kindly to having separate posts on the same general point. Feel free to ignore any sections.

The presumption from some in the media and this thread is that Catherine is crafty, scheming, unable to make anything of her life, that she is following her mothers 'life plan' and trying to 'hook' William, (who obviously has no will of his own). I would rather have a 'nice' well loved, well adjusted person as girlfriend to William. Having to go out to paid employment does not alter a persons character, it is not a magic bullet, she could be in employment 24/7, she could be at uni doing another course, but it will not alter the person she is.

It just seems strange to read the character assasination of this girl and her family, based only on media publications, the assertion that she is a taker rather than a giver and why, because she doesn't have to live the way most have to.

I think going out to work is character forming, it makes you enjoy and be gratefull for your time off.
Helps you understand the position others are in who have to work. I worked in a clothes store when I was young and was physically exhausted at night and got to meet some strange characters, for instance one couple stole money from the store through a scheme and I was then too naive to understand what was happening.

Anyway, Kate will always be treated differently on the workfloor and will not get to experience stuff most of us do at the office, hospital etc where we work.

I know very many upper class girls who do not choose to be in paid employment and it is far from outdated, IMO. They are able to fill their days doing what they want. If it is not envy what is it, she doesn't choose to live her life the way you want her to.

I would imagine that 99.9% of the population also don't live their lives how you want. I certainly don't and I don't envy anyone who has to earn their keep. I am happy that I was in a position to allow my children to choose whether to work.
I would imagine we all know girls from mega rich families who do not choose to be in paid employent. They do not seem to be the ones complaining though.:rolleyes:
"...... Going out to work or studying does not automatically make you a nice or kind person. Look at most work or class situations and you will see some real b*tches. You do not have to be in paid employment to make something of your life, apart from the rich who choose not to work, ask any stay at home wife or mother!"
You are not the only person on this thread and I don't think the moderators would take kindly to having separate posts on the same general point. Feel free to ignore any sections.

The presumption from some in the media and this thread is that Catherine is crafty, scheming, unable to make anything of her life, that she is following her mothers 'life plan' and trying to 'hook' William, (who obviously has no will of his own). I would rather have a 'nice' well loved, well adjusted person as girlfriend to William.
Having to go out to paid employment does not alter a persons character, it is not a magic bullet, she could be in employment 24/7, she could be at uni doing another course, but it will not alter the person she is.
It just seems strange to read the character assasination of this girl and her family, based only on media publications, the assertion that she is a taker rather than a giver and why, because she doesn't have to live the way most have to.

If someone offered me a lifetime income where I didn't have to work, I would take it, no questions asked. I would do something with my life but it would be something that would enrich my own life and not necessarily some charity effort to do something for those less fortunate than I am. Because I love art I think I would take art instruction, go to gallery shows, build friendships and connections with artists, creative people, etc. and if I had a lifetime of doing that, it would be a rich and fulfilling life for me.

Actually my company closed shop and gave me a one year severance package so this is exactly what I did for one year. It was heaven and I wouldn't have minded doing it for some more but I had to go back into the work world.

So the fact that Kate doesn't work, doesn't provide enough detail on her character or lack of character for me to judge. Some people do, some people don't.

I don't think Kate is a bad person. She seems like a good person. I can't criticize her for not working because I don't work. I am "just a student" I guess like Chelsy, though I don't have anywhere near the money the Davys have, I was lucky in the sense of inheriting enough money to live comfortably without work. It's not for the lack of work that makes me critical of Kate.... I'm not even, or I don't try to be critical of her at all. I guess I just wish to see her do something cool. That Sisterhood thing seemed cool at first, but then those girls were doing those wacky photo shoots, and I thought it was wise of Kate to back out of that one! :lol: I think she might be planning something though. She might be working on a photography project and, who knows, have an exhibition somewhere, maybe in the gallery run by Laura Lopes.

CasiraghiTrio, I am not thinking of you when I wrote what I wrote. You are always very fair. I am speaking of those who seem to have this all out blood lust hatred of anything Kate Middleton does. I'm speaking of the some tabloid writers who have taken very unfair shots at Kate, i.e. this most recent horrible hack from Australia who wrote a scathing piece that sounded like it was written by a jealous coed, or one of those awful internet message board posters, when to my surprise that writer is in her 50s.

These unfair attacks and outright lies spread by the same few posters on the internet, the same same posters who show up first in the comments sections of tabloids, who will never know Kate Middleton as a private person, are despicable. It's some of the poorest behavior I have ever witnessed.

And I work with rich young people as well who I wouldn't turn my back on for one minute. Just becuase you are rich and choose to work does not make you Joan of Arc. Nor does it speak to your character. People are different and are allowed to make different choices as they see fit. So until any one of those people who constantly bang Kate Middleton for not working can tell us what it is like to date Prince William and walk out of their front door greeted by hoardes of paparazzi as they go buy a cup of coffee, or they are writing a check to Kate for her living expenses, they can prettty much shelve their judgments about how she lives her life.

Last edited:
CasiraghiTrio, I am not thinking of you when I wrote what I wrote. You are always very fair. I am speaking of those who seem to have this all out blood lust hatred of anything Kate Middleton does. I'm speaking of the some tabloid writers who have taken very unfair shots at Kate, i.e. this most recent horrible hack from Australia who wrote a scathing piece that sounded like it was written by a jealous coed, or one of those awful internet message board posters, when to my surprise that writer is in her 50s.

These unfair attacks and outright lies spread by the same few posters on the internet, the same same posters who show up first in the comments sections of tabloids, who will never know Kate Middleton as a private person, are despicable. It's some of the poorest behavior I have ever witnessed.

And I work with rich young people as well who I wouldn't turn my back on for one minute. Just becuase you are rich and choose to work does not make you Joan of Arc. Nor does it speak to your character. People are different and are allowed to make different choices as they see fit. So until any one of those people who constantly bang Kate Middleton for not working can tell us what it is like to date Prince William and walk out of their front door greeted by hoardes of paparazzi as they go buy a cup of coffee, or they are writing a check to Kate for her living expenses, they can prettty much shelve their judgments about how she lives her life.

Great post which I just happen to agree with:)

while i think it would be pretty much everybody's dream not to have to work because you're wealthy, i think everyone should do it for at least a little while. doing charity work is wonderful and fulfulling but going out and earning the money to buy the things that you want is what really gives you the appreciation for what other people, less fortunate have no choice but to do everyday. also, i have to agree with the point that catherine's parents are hoping for her to score big marriage-wise. look at generations of wealthy parents who planned and worked behind the scenes to ensure that their daughters married up. as for the upper class girls choosing not to be employed, i think it's a very small circle. the children of most extremely wealthy families go into the family business - look at the Trump's and the Westons...even the (choke) Hilton girl's have business endeavors of their own.

Some very lucky people can appreciate working and having well to do parents. Many, many worknig people depend on their parents for financial support as well as their paychecks, for things like buying their first homes, starting businesses, etc. Accepting support from parents is not a crime, certainly not in these times of nearly $4 per gallon gas prices and $700,000 starter homes, with sellers asking for $100,000 down payments. Show me the average 25 year old who can come up with that down payment at the beginning of their working career. Kate and her siblings are lucky. And good for them.

There is no evidence that Kate's parents are plotting for her to marry William. They are doing the same things that I believe they would do if she were not, supporting their daughter.

Her mother has made no statements to the press; her father did, in the beginning when he believed they were just friends.

What sane person who does not roam in William's circles would not be proud for their daughter to marry him?

Some very lucky people can appreciate working and having well to do parents. Many, many worknig people depend on their parents for financial support as well as their paychecks, for things like buying their first homes, starting businesses, etc. Accepting support from parents is not a crime, certainly not in these times of nearly $4 per gallon gas prices and $700,000 starter homes, with sellers asking for $100,000 down payments. Show me the average 25 year old who can come up with that down payment at the beginning of their working career. Kate and her siblings are lucky. And good for them.

There is no evidence that Kate's parents are plotting for her to marry William. They are doing the same things that I believe they would do if she were not, supporting their daughter.

Her mother has made no statements to the press; her father did, in the beginning when he believed they were just friends.

What sane person who does not roam in William's circles would not be proud for their daughter to marry him?

we certainly can't say for sure that her parents are working behind the scenes to push for a marriage but if they are i say more power to them. and i totally agree that there are lots of people in this world that ask their parents for financial help and lots of parents that provide financial help without being asked. nothing wrong with it...i think it's just natural that parents want to help their children get a leg up in life.:flowers:

CasiraghiTrio, I am not thinking of you when I wrote what I wrote. You are always very fair. I am speaking of those who seem to have this all out blood lust hatred of anything Kate Middleton does....... shortened by Skydragon.... when to my surprise that writer is in her 50s.
Age doesn't always bring reason or maturity! :D
These unfair attacks and outright lies spread by the same few posters on the internet, the same posters who show up first in the comments sections of tabloids, who will never know Kate Middleton as a private person, are despicable. It's some of the poorest behavior I have ever witnessed..... Just becuase you are rich and choose to work does not make you Joan of Arc. Nor does it speak to your character.....
The very point I was trying to make earlier, you get the same variety of character traits, good or bad, whether you work or do your own thing.
So until any one of those people who constantly bang Kate Middleton for not working can tell us what it is like to date Prince William and walk out of their front door greeted by hoardes of paparazzi as they go buy a cup of coffee, or they are writing a check to Kate for her living expenses, they can prettty much shelve their judgments about how she lives her life.
:clap::clap:You are just too brilliant for words! :flowers:
Accepting support from parents is not a crime, certainly not in these times of nearly $4 per gallon gas prices
My youngest tells me it is not a crime when she 'mugs' me for another handout to help with the £1.05 per litre diesel price! (There are 3.785411 litres in a US gallon)! :eek:

.... edited by skydragon...i think it's just natural that parents want to help their children get a leg up in life.:flowers:
That is what parents are for, IMO. If Catherine and William feel they are a good match, then wonderful. If one or the other isn't happy, all the pushing and scheming in the world by parents, won't work. More than anything they have got to be sure, but meantime enjoy one anothers company and have some, discreet, fun! :lol:

Last edited:
i beg to differ, we've seen in the past that pushing and scheming does indeed work whether both parties are happy or not.

Maybe why everybody keep questioning her status not becoz she is one of the millionaires/ billionaires daughter who choose not to have formal career. It might lead to the corcern that she may become the 'first lady' of the kingdom and the one who shall be William's bride, the prince that everybody's adore when he was small and has grown up in front of us. We may only want to see him with a 'prefect lady'. A partner who will one day become a queen where her story can be an example for our generation. I'm pretty fine since William's wife will never be my queen:D

Just to share a story about a prince in my country. He was one of the most 'eligible' princes here. Few months ago he was marrying a beautiful lady (we didnt know her existence before). Somehow the press managed to retrieve her royal connection in her blood. However, we are far from envy but glad to know he is marry to a very stunning lady with a very good 'track record'. She was an active girl at school (represented her state), received first class honour in petroleum engineering from a university in London. Directly joined a very well known oil & gas company in my country. Her last job was a director to her own oil & gas consulting company. There's also a princess over here who work as a judge (Of course, not all of them can be considered good). So, the princess's story begin with, Once upon a time.... :flowers: just my two cents:D I think its totally based on individual principle..

All great points, ladies, and mostly I think Duchess makes a good point about Kate's parents. While the tabloid extremist perception of them as social climbers is probably unfair, it must be fair to say they would encourage Kate to marry up. I mean, marrying someone well-off seems to be what she wants to do, so who can blame them for supporting her? Even if her mother is like a Jane Austen wife-maker, it should be nothing to us. I do think Kate is very likely the kind of woman that wants to be a wife, and she won't just marry some pauper. She wants to have an "easy" life, or at least not to worry about money and have luxuries. It's perfectly understandable. I think she also likes being famous, because she enjoys the freebies and the attention, but she does not enjoy the stalking aspect, anymore than any of us would do. I think that she took the Jigsaw job to pass time and her heart was never in it. Or maybe she took it for PR reasons. Either way, it seems pretty fair to say that she never wanted that kind of job. Her initial instinct seems to have been to work for an art gallery. Now she says, supposedly, that she wants to open a gallery. So maybe now she is finally listening to what her heart says instead of trying to do what she feels other people want. People, it seems, wanted her just to work some job she never wanted in the first place, just so she could be seen as a "working girl" who was "earning her salt". But if you don't have to work, what is the point of doing something unless it is your passion? I think photography and art are closer allied to her passion, as that is similar to her university degree and dissertation.

As for her dad, the only thing I can say about him is that he seems concerned about her safety, which anyone can understand.

Good story, mizzy.... It reminds me that many of the royal wives closer to Kate's home also didn't have to work. Like Countess is always pointing out, look at Camilla. Camilla didn't work any punch clock job and makes a fine princess. ;)

Last edited:
i beg to differ, we've seen in the past that pushing and scheming does indeed work whether both parties are happy or not.
True enough, I was just working on the premise that todays youngsters are so assertive and also coddled by comparison. Funnily enough some army friends were saying that conscription should be brought back and I said that it would be so hard nowadays to 'make' any youngster do something they didn't want to. :flowers: I can't imagine William or Harry marrying someone they didn't love and respect. :flowers:

All great points, ladies, and mostly I think Duchess makes a good point about Kate's parents. While the tabloid extremist perception of them as social climbers is probably unfair, it must be fair to say they would encourage Kate to marry up. I mean, marrying someone well-off seems to be what she wants to do, so who can blame them for supporting her? Even if her mother is like a Jane Austen wife-maker, it should be nothing to us. I do think Kate is very likely the kind of woman that wants to be a wife, and she won't just marry some pauper. She wants to have an "easy" life, or at least not to worry about money and have luxuries. It's perfectly understandable. I think she also likes being famous, because she enjoys the freebies and the attention, but she does not enjoy the stalking aspect, anymore than any of us would do. I think that she took the Jigsaw job to pass time and her heart was never in it. Or maybe she took it for PR reasons. Either way, it seems pretty fair to say that she never wanted that kind of job. Her initial instinct seems to have been to work for an art gallery. Now she says, supposedly, that she wants to open a gallery. So maybe now she is finally listening to what her heart says instead of trying to do what she feels other people want. People, it seems, wanted her just to work some job she never wanted in the first place, just so she could be seen as a "working girl" who was "earning her salt". But if you don't have to work, what is the point of doing something unless it is your passion? I think photography and art are closer allied to her passion, as that is similar to her university degree and dissertation.

As for her dad, the only thing I can say about him is that he seems concerned about her safety, which anyone can understand.

Good story, mizzy.... It reminds me that many of the royal wives closer to Kate's home also didn't have to work. Like Countess is always pointing out, look at Camilla. Camilla didn't work any punch clock job and makes a fine princess. ;)

Mmmmhmmm...and hey if Kate is willing to rise to the challenge being a wife to a future King than more power to her because it's never easy. But all is not what it seems...there's always a point where these relationships start to look more like business dealings...with the investment from her family, PR issues, etc...:ermm:

But if you don't have to work, what is the point of doing something unless it is your passion? I think photography and art are closer allied to her passion, as that is similar to her university degree and dissertation.

This is true CasiraghiTrio but the thing is that I have never seen any passion in terms of Kate doing something. I mean why do you do certain studies? Because you are interested in the issue. If after your degree you find out that this is not what you thought it would be, fair enough, find something else. I agree that Jigsaw was only a means to an end, no true interest behind it but good enough for accommodating Wills needs, vacation, shopping and clubbing. I never nailed my comments on the fact that Kate is not working but the fact that she does not use any of the many options she had in theory or doesn't show any passion or direction towards other things than leasure.

Like Countess is always pointing out, look at Camilla. Camilla didn't work any punch clock job and makes a fine princess. ;)

I strongly disagree on any comparison Camilla / Kate. Camilla is a typical woman for the times / grades she was born into and grew up in and I can't say the same about Kate. We have arrived in 2007 and are not in 1967 any longer. Young people work, not only for money but for plenty of reasons: do something meaningful, socialise, be independent, make own experiences ... it's an endless list. I don't believe a second that there are plenty of girls around like Kate ... most young women these days take their life into their own hands and go for it, with or without support of their parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom